Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

drat! Hope you have a speedy recovery! What exactly happened? Can you describe what lead up to the crash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Day Man posted:

drat! Hope you have a speedy recovery! What exactly happened? Can you describe what lead up to the crash?

Sure thing.

It's the last Friday before Chinese New Years and the city is starting to warm up properly for the main event.

I was headed down one of the city's main arteries. I actually live on it and its the red light district.

I'm well used to seeing all manner of insane behavior on this road, more so than in the rest of Taipei (because of it's red light nature, sudden stops, rubber necking, u-turns, showing off). However, most of that kicks in after 6pm. This was 13:30.

As it is, traffic is relatively light, its the tail end of lunch hour and I'm just going to pop down the road to collect my girlfriend's lid so I can give a friend a lift to interview.

I was a little tired from not sleeping brilliantly and I've got a very busy week ahead. I figure I'll squeeze out this favor for a buddy because he's new in town and the taxi will get lost taking him where he needs to go. The weather is lovely.

So I jump on the bike and I'm not more than 300 meters from home when I notice that I'm being a little aggressive. The street is punctuated with lights so I don't worry, the red in front of me flicks to green, I click up to second and roll on the gas a little. I've got the space I like around me and I'm good to relax and enjoy a quick jaunt.

Right now the lizard brain suddenly kicks in and I can see this old fella up front isn't playing nice. He's fully heading into my path and I can see that given the pace I have and his direction, braking simply isn't going to cut it. I know I do not have the skill set to massively swerve and to be honest he's not even aware of my presence. He's not moving quick enough for me, to pick a path around him. I resign my self to a collision.

I figure my best option is to do my best to keep in my lane so I begin to lean the bike so it will go down to the right...

In the dash cam video, you can see me go through the decision making at around 13s.

Over a couple of days with the injuries I managed to piece together most of what happened. The dash cam cleared up the gaps.

My injuries are in a singular diagonal from my left collar to my right knee. Left collar, left lung, left ribs, right thigh, right knee.

Now I know I was out cold so my head was either hit, or the pain over whelmed (IANAD, this was my guesswork). From all that I deduced my plan to put point the bike right, meant I exited front side, stage left. This explains the large squarish shape dent in the tank and the missing RAM mount fingers. Exiting front and left would also allow for a head/shoulder/elbow landing on my left side.

I was told I was retrieved from under an SUV, it took some thinking, but then yeah I realized they meant in oncoming traffic.

I still don't know where the bike ended up. I'm hoping CCTV will clear up any more details.

I hope that explains it a bit better.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Well on the bright side it looks like you didn't knock yourself retarded! Nice effort post!

I'm sorry to hear about your accident. How are your injuries? I saw they listed a vertebrae injury. You going to be able to walk/ride again?

Good luck with everything. Keep us posted.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
On the bright side now you can become an icy hot stunnaz with that tank job

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Dude, that's nuts. Wishing you a speedy recovery. What's gonna happen to the bike?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is crazy, you're going to be in a crash compilation for certain.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
So a guy in front of you, traveling the same direction as you, was changing lanes and you were going to hit him?

I'm still trying to picture what happened but i think that is what you were saying.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

nsaP posted:

So a guy in front of you, traveling the same direction as you, was changing lanes and you were going to hit him?

I'm still trying to picture what happened but i think that is what you were saying.
That's what the pictures look like, here's my forensic analysis

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Holy crap, that could have gone way worse. Way way way worse.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Looks to me like he was trying to avoid this pothole.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Thats a manhole n8, something we all know you are intimately familiar with.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

It's generous to say that street has lanes. To me it looked like he was just going to casually turn in front of the SUV or, as pointed out, was trying to dodge the manhole with no awareness of his surroundings. But on the other hand, url was way, way too close to the guy and just not paying any attention. It's hard to tell from the video if relative speeds were a factor at all but I don't think they were.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Looking at the images, I think you'd have had time to hit the brakes and avoid the issue, or at least slow your advance a fair bit, perhaps letting the SUV have more time to react as well.

Hindsight is always 20/20, glad you're (relatively) ok.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Thanks all for the kind words and well wishes.

I felt I had a little too much pace on. I honestly believe he was simply turning left. But the MSPaint forensics(outstanding work by the way) match what the police showed me as his his statement of events. He was supposed,to enter a box on the right side of the intersection as,scooters aren't allowed to make direct left turns. 90% of people,don't actually abuse that rule here. I dunno why it gets,more respect than other laws, but, v0v.

Personally I didn't feel like I could have avoided the situation and as such that is on me regardless of anything else. I live here I know they give away driving licenses with cornflakes, so I should have eased back and seen it coming.

Anyways, that's all in the past.

Ill be repairing the bike as best as I can afford over the coming months (i start a new,job in 3 weeks). I can't ride while my collar bone is healing lest I gently caress up the heal and never ride again. So yeah, I have some time. I need to fund a tank and fairings at least. The pic I posted is the only pic I have, so I don't know the full extent of the damage yet. If the forks are hosed that'll make me question the expense.

I bought the bike for 200K TWD with 3.5K on the clock. Its a very high price purely because import taxes here are very very high.

I do absolutely love the bike, its a true joy in my day, every day. While I was/am looking to upgrade to an MV F3 800, or an S1000RR (there's an HP4 in my basement garage that i really really like) I still wanna keep Ninjette simply because its that much fun, so very forgiving, and god drat it, I'm still learning on it.

The vertebrae thing is just a hairline thing in the bone. It didn't hit the magic jelly or the all important communication cables. Trust me when i say i do count my blessings no matter how small.

I didn't post it here in my first post, because I didn't wanna gush. On my fb posting I said "undoubtedly while the Schuberth C3, Fieldsheer jacket and Meindl boots are heroes, the real (MVP) is my gf Min who's has been present every second of every minute since she heard"

:3

An exhausted gf that was supposed to meet my family in London on Friday coming.

Again, thanks all, if I missed a question, my bad, I'll edit in, in a mo.

url fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 18, 2015

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

url posted:

I felt I had a little too much pace on. I honestly believe he was simply turning left. But the MSPaint forensics(outstanding work by the way) match what the police showed me as his his statement of events. He was supposed,to enter a box on the right side of the intersection as,scooters aren't allowed to make direct left turns. 90% of people,don't actually abuse that rule here. I dunno why it gets,more respect than other laws, but, v0v.

To sidetrack a bit, can you explain that law at all, like :wtc: is the reasoning for it? Having to move to the far right of a lane to turn left doesn't make any sense to me. Even bicycles in the states don't need to do dumb stuff like that

edit: From some random internet site:

quote:

Turning Left with a Scooter: If you see a blue sign above the road with two arrows and a little scooter-man, and you're driving a scooter, this means that you cannot turn left. These usually are implemented in big intersections. You must actually drive through to the right where there is a white box, and then stop at the box, and wait for the other light to turn green, to achieve the left.

Dumb, was the scooter light on in this intersection for the guy?

Double edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4i47vTsVR8 explains it via watching

Gillingham fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 18, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Gillingham posted:

To sidetrack a bit, can you explain that law at all, like :wtc: is the reasoning for it? Having to move to the far right of a lane to turn left doesn't make any sense to me. Even bicycles in the states don't need to do dumb stuff like that

edit: From some random internet site:

Dumb, was the scooter light on in this intersection for the guy?

Double edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4i47vTsVR8 explains it via watching

I don't know why that law exists, but now I at least understand why he was passing the scooter dude on the left.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What an utterly baffling law. I'm struggling to understand what it's supposed to achieve. Is it to separate the massive horde of scooters from larger vehicles? Or what?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Slavvy posted:

What an utterly baffling law. I'm struggling to understand what it's supposed to achieve. Is it to separate the massive horde of scooters from larger vehicles? Or what?

I think that is exactly the reasoning behind the law. And it makes sense given that at various times of day myriad hordes of scooters will vie for their individual route through an intersection.

This pic is from Boston.com's 'Big Picture' feature, and to prove its not a fluke or staged.

That's one I took a while ago when I used the same junction every day. I wanted to catch the picture for an age because its surreal. Then I found the Boston.com,version and it frames it so much better.

But yeah, back on topic, having that many scooters all finding their individual route through am intersection would,mean the oncoming traffic might never get to proceed meaning more time at the lights for every one. Removing the left turn from,scooter means lights can work in tandem (I think that's the logic anyways)

Edit2: Also worth considering (gf just pointed out) scooters being mainly 50/100/125/150 are a little underpowered and they are supposed,to stay right in a lane, and in the right lane if there are two or more lanes. Being far right makes turning left a risky bet for yourself or traffic behind you, but, makes the box to the right readily available.

Scooters over 250 (usually 300) have to re-licence (different cornflakes) and they get a yellow licence plate and can travel with cars on most roads. After 499 (I think, or 550 I'm not 100%) there's a proper test and you get a red plate. These can travel everywhere except the island's 3 or 4 biggest highways. Why they are not allowed is mystery to me.

url fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 18, 2015

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
drat url, that sucks. Be sure to hop on irc while you're convalescing so n8 can tell you in minute detail what you did wrong.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

echomadman posted:

drat url, that sucks. Be sure to hop on irc while you're convalescing so n8 can tell you in minute detail what you did wrong.

Lol, and thanks for the kind words bud.

I'll be back in the channel very soon. I had some personal stuff a few months back and my PC took a poo poo at the same time, priority went to personal stuff obv.

I honestly don't mind being told where I hosed up, I'm no saint.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'd be interested to know how much it all costs you and what you thought of Chinese healthcare. The facilities look older but otherwise nice.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Don't overtake other people on the road in the same lane and don't travel at such a great speed differential than the rest of traffic. Fin.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

n8r posted:

Don't overtake other people on the road in the same lane and don't travel at such a great speed differential than the rest of traffic. Fin.

Yeah, you're not wrong.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I missed the not part, and I was all ready to call you a dope.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Now that I'm about to be discharged, I'm looking at the clean up and make good stuff. New lid, repairs, medical bills etc.

I do feel kind of a dope. But, that said. I'm walking, taking, breathing and almost ready to get back on.

I'm glad for the advice I've gleaned from here and the irc channel over the past years, I really am.

Somebody askes how the health care was here.

Its been absolutely stellar. I was in a messier accident in Denmark. While the Danish facilities were more modern, I can honestly say the level of care is the same without any equivocations at all.

On top of that, I was paying 60% tax on Denmark, I don't pay that here, so more is done with less which is very impressive.

The guy in my room has been struggling with cancer for 17 years, and he seems to be doing incredibly well.

Tldr, ill not criticise Taiwan's health care in any measure.

I've gotta submit for a refund for medical bills because my paperwork has a gap in it. Usually, I'd just get a bill and go home.

I'll post the final costs, the minute I know.

If someone wants to grab my video and youtube it, feel free, I'm too lazy. But, ill laugh the day I see myself in a compilation.

Again thanks all for kind words and support etc.

:D

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Ah, OK, didn't know this was Taiwan and not mainland China. Still, it's loving crazy how cheap healthcare is pretty much anywhere but the US - and the quality can be great, too.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Already answered for the most part, but it's generally a safety thing. People running red lights is fairly common in Taiwan, and not allowing scooters a free right on red or left turn helps cut back on some of the accidents. Though as anyone in Taiwan will tell you, "There are no laws in Taiwan, only guidelines." So it's pretty common to see people ignore all this stuff (including cops).

Glad your ok URL. When I was still living there I'd have a close call on my old KTM150cc about once a month, but thankfully I only got in 3 relatively minor accidents. After my second one I definitely started giving other riders a lot more distance in front of me, and generally slowed down quite a bit.

I think the worst part of riding in Taiwan is that you don't really learn much in the way of actual riding skill. You get REALLY good at lane splitting, and building awareness about who is going to cut you off in two seconds, but actual riding skill through a twisty stretch of road not so much. Now that I'm getting ready to buy a bike here in the USA I feel like I need to re-learn pretty much everything.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Thanks bud, appreciated.

I didn't see you in the TW thread for a while. I hope all is well?

I do try to get to Wulai on the occasional weekend to practice the twisty fun, but, I've still not made it to any if the proper tracks for a day yet.

I've a couple of friends who can/will join, but its a coordination thing in the main.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

url posted:

Thanks bud, appreciated.

I didn't see you in the TW thread for a while. I hope all is well?

I do try to get to Wulai on the occasional weekend to practice the twisty fun, but, I've still not made it to any if the proper tracks for a day yet.

I've a couple of friends who can/will join, but its a coordination thing in the main.

Yeah, all is good with me. Working a real job back in the states now, and generally finding myself more into the goings on over here lately so it's hard to find time to keep up with the Taiwan thread. Wish I had time to go back and visit though. Sadly vacation plans just aren't possible at the moment.

I knew of a few roads in Taiwan that were good for twisties, but it seemed like either:

A) They were well known roads and they'd get hammered with yahoos of widely varying skill levels everyday forcing you to ride very defensively

B) They were tiny little tea plantation roads with blind corners everywhere and half-drunk & wired on betel nut blue truck drivers running up and down them giving no fucks about anyone else on the road so you'd forced into riding super conservatively.

Track days would be a good way to learn though I think. Never had the opportunity to try it out myself.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I discharged from hospital yesterday at 4pm, went back to apartment burned,some,pretend money to appease some gods of some sort (iunno :iiam:). Then went to see the full extent if the damage. The close up pics are just cropped so you can get the same detail and better context from the first couple of pics (assuming imgur doesn't compress that heavily)

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

HappyHelmet posted:

Yeah, all is good with me. Working a real job back in the states now, and generally finding myself more into the goings on over here lately so it's hard to find time to keep up with the Taiwan thread. Wish I had time to go back and visit though. Sadly vacation plans just aren't possible at the moment.

Glad to hear it, not everybody rotates back quite as smoothly from,what I can tell.

With the twisty fun, the guys I know who do go tend to aim,to start riding proper for sunrise 6/7 am.

Personally, I tend to head out at 10/11/12 pm.

It took me a while but the best track,in Taiwan is down,south near pingtun, it's a bona fide international spec track as opposed to the 1-1.5km go cart tracks that seem oddly popular.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
That thing looks toast. :( What are you going to do with it?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
It looks exactly like my bike :(

I'm glad you weren't hurt worse! Holy poo poo, that tank. :stare:

But hey, the windshield is fine!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

url posted:

I discharged from hospital yesterday at 4pm, went back to apartment burned,some,pretend money to appease some gods of some sort (iunno :iiam:). Then went to see the full extent if the damage. The close up pics are just cropped so you can get the same detail and better context from the first couple of pics (assuming imgur doesn't compress that heavily)

I guess someone decided you were at fault, since you're behind bars now?

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I guess someone decided you were at fault, since you're behind bars now?

That's just how 90% of windows in Taiwan are. I think they are there to keep people from jumping/falling out of windows (people jump off roofs all the time though so lot of good that does), or maybe it's an earthquake safety thing. Pretty sure it's not a crime issue, but that is one of the things I was never able to figure out in Taiwan.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
How loving depressing is Taiwan?

Mayor Poopenmayer
Feb 15, 2006

Mayor of Pooptown
Wet oily corner + a fat man on a 99 CB250 Nighthawk = owies
Came off my poor little CB for a second time, Turning into the industrial estate where I work, the corner is a bit caked with gunge from all the trucks around here
I came in doing around 15-20kph, but the rear slowly slid until the front washed out, I didn't think that I was really leaning into the corner at all, but I might have been doing it by habit
I'm fine other than a sore shoulder and chest, didn't even rip my kevlars this time
Bent the handlebars, clutch lever, foot rest, shifter and left indicator (scratched up the engine casing a bit too)
Guess I'll be looking for a new bike some time later this week, I'm far too lazy to fix it again and only a month away from getting my unrestricted licence so I guess it's time to upgrade

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Mayor Poopenmayer posted:

I guess it's time to upgrade

:S

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
maybe you should upgrade into a car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Mayor Poopenmayer posted:

Wet oily corner + a fat man on a 99 CB250 Nighthawk = owies
Came off my poor little CB for a second time, Turning into the industrial estate where I work, the corner is a bit caked with gunge from all the trucks around here
I came in doing around 15-20kph, but the rear slowly slid until the front washed out, I didn't think that I was really leaning into the corner at all, but I might have been doing it by habit
I'm fine other than a sore shoulder and chest, didn't even rip my kevlars this time
Bent the handlebars, clutch lever, foot rest, shifter and left indicator (scratched up the engine casing a bit too)
Guess I'll be looking for a new bike some time later this week, I'm far too lazy to fix it again and only a month away from getting my unrestricted licence so I guess it's time to upgrade

Upgrade your awareness before you upgrade your bike.

• Locked thread