Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't say I love the idea of a device where I connect a keyboard and all of my apps disappear.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Hasn't it been a thing to try and get Android apps to work in Chrome for some time now? Maybe they've got it working and hahahahaha nah just kidding this will likely be a disaster if it's true.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Require More Fire posted:

Hasn't it been a thing to try and get Android apps to work in Chrome for some time now? Maybe they've got it working and hahahahaha nah just kidding this will likely be a disaster if it's true.

They got it working a while ago with some exclusive partners. Evernote, Vine, and Duolingo on ChromeOS are Android-based. They haven't made it generally available yet, but some guy reversed it if you want to sideload an apk onto your own ChromeOS device.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I have to say this is a lot better than Microsoft's approach of a single operating system that's poo poo everywhere. To be honest there's little a Chromebook can't do that I'd like it to as it is and getting an Android tablet along with it one wouldn't be a bad thing.

That said, it's dumber the longer you think about it. The Surface idea of having the computery bits in the screen as opposed to the base is absolutely retarded. It's exactly where you don't want the weight, and if you balance it out it's far too heavy. The good Chromebooks are all Intel, the good Androids are all ARM so half of it is going to suck. The form factor and size I'd want in a Chromebook screen is nothing like what I'd want in a tablet so again you're in the Surface situation of what's good for one is terrible for the other. Then there's the fact that it has to be cheaper than the current cost of a good Android tablet and a Chromebook combined which is really cheap at the moment.

The worst part about this is that the effort expended to implement this dumb idea would be better spent just making the existing devices better. I've used both Android and Chromebooks plenty and never have I thought that I wished one was more like the other, but I've definitely wished there was more care and thought put into the ecosystem in which both are forced to exist.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Surface Pro 3 is pretty great, so...

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Thermopyle posted:

The Surface Pro 3 is pretty great, so...

I picked up a HP Stream 11 and I have to say I am really happy with it, for $200 I would probably buy it instead of a Chromebook. But I own both. And a Tab S.

Just buy them all to be on the safe side.

Actually one thing I would really, really like to see is a tiny Android Tablet with a serious keyboard, as one of the morons that bought this:

I would so buy an identical device running Android.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

CPU architecture differences shouldn't matter, Dalvik is a VM on top of either arch anyway, and ART now pre-translates DEX files into native machine code when the app is installed. Raw Android apps run great enough on x86 that Genymotion gets away with charging $300/seat/year for a pretty kickass x86-based android emulator.

I think that some well-designed Android apps could help Chromebooks counter the "you've got to be network-connected for anything good to happen" problem. Also it'd let them tap into an existing developer pool, although I have a vested interest in that I guess because Android development is what keeps the bank from repossessing my house.

It'd be interesting to see if Microsoft would adapt Office for Android tablets into Office for Chromebook. Their strategy now seems to be to get Office onto any device where Google Apps or iWork are already pre-installed by the vendor. They get direct revenue off of Office365 subscriptions on mobile, and can defend any incursion by competing cloud tools on desktop.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

I would so buy an identical device running Android.
Wouldn't this just be much better running ChromeOS?

Edit: I guess this is more of a question than a disagreement. I like ChromeOS and I like Android and I feel that they serve different purposes but sometimes it's hard to know where that line should be drawn.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 16, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They REALLY need to get Microsoft's RDP client on to ChromeOS. It's pretty much flawless on android, so running in on ChromeOS would make like the best thin client ever.

All the other ones on the ChromeOS store are poo poo and don't support RDP Gateway.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tunga posted:

Wouldn't this just be much better running ChromeOS?

Edit: I guess this is more of a question than a disagreement. I like ChromeOS and I like Android and I feel that they serve different purposes but sometimes it's hard to know where that line should be drawn.

No, because Chrome already runs on Android, why would anyone want chrome os?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Chrome on ChromeOS is around eleventybillion times better than mobile chrome. It's full desktop chrome.

My Toshiba Chromebook 2 has really replaced a lot of my N9 usage.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bull3964 posted:

Chrome on ChromeOS is around eleventybillion times better than mobile chrome. It's full desktop chrome.

My Toshiba Chromebook 2 has really replaced a lot of my N9 usage.

Yes but Chrome on an actual operating system is even better, even if it's just plain linux.

ChromeOS basically only exists for a very narrow niche.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Nintendo Kid posted:

ChromeOS basically only exists for a very narrow niche.
That's the opposite of true Most people don't use anything more than a browser.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

butt dickus posted:

That's the opposite of true Most people don't use anything more than a browser.

Not true at all, but also just using a browser works perfectly well on Windows or even OS X.

About 6 million Chromebooks were sold last year, in comparison to over 200 million Windows laptops, let alone other Windows PCs. Many of those Windows computers sold even cost less than many Chromebooks out there. Clearly being able to run something other than a browser is popular, as shown by the popularity of both regular mobile oses (Android, iOS) and Windows.

Chrome OS was Google's attempt at a backup plan if Android couldn't get popular on phones or could but couldn't stick it with tablets. Unfortunately for Chrome OS, Android has had no problem holding onto either, and it's doomed to be niche as gently caress.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You are looking at the wrong numbers by looking at total sales.

PC sales declined by 1.6% in the final quarter of 2014. Chromebook sales increased by 67% in the same time period. The growth is positively explosive, they are becoming very popular as a 2nd computer.

I have a beefy desktop, N9, Surface Pro 3, and Lenovo Y410p and the thing I reach for the most at home is my Toshiba Chromebook 2. It just works and it does 95% of the things I interact with a computer for.

But, now I just remembered who I was arguing with on this so there's not much point in continuing this discussion.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 16, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bull3964 posted:

You are looking at the wrong numbers by looking at total sales.

PC sales declined by 1.6% in the final quarter of 2014. Chromebook sales increased by 67% in the same time period. The growth is positively explosive, they are becoming very popular as a 2nd computer.

These are the same arguments made for "why netbooks will take over", and indeed "why tablets will take over instead of regular computers". As you know, both of them haven't come to pass. Chromebooks will absolutely hit a wall and remain niche, because you can get a real laptop that runs Chrome for about the same price.

bull3964 posted:

I have a beefy desktop, N9, Surface Pro 3, and Lenovo Y410p and the thing I reach for the most at home is my Toshiba Chromebook 2. It just works and it does 95% of the things I interact with a computer for.

But, now I just remembered who I was arguing with on this so there's not much point in continuing this discussion.

That's great for you! But normal people tend to just have a simple cheap laptop and maybe a tablet. You're just reinforcing how the Chromebooks is for niche audiences, since you have a desktop and a tablet and a second tablet that runs Windows and a regular laptop and then a Chromebook.

The reason Chromebooks aren't popular is because most people don't want to have 6 devices to cover the "computer" problem space, they'd rather just have a full cheap laptop and maybe a tablet if their phone isn't big enough.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
You do realize schools are buying chromebooks like crazy right? A computer that only runs a web browser, has great battery life, and automatic software patching, etc. is something they've been dreaming about for a long time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

mod sassinator posted:

You do realize schools are buying chromebooks like crazy right? A computer that only runs a web browser, has great battery life, and automatic software patching, etc. is something they've been dreaming about for a long time.

They're buying Windows machines even more like crazy. They bought netbooks "like crazy" before 2011 too - at their peak netbooks did nearly 50 million in a year in sales.

Plus it's amazing you're acting like Windows doesn't have automatic patching, especially in a deployed environment.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ianskate posted:

Any thoughts on getting a Tab S 8.4 now or waiting a little while (for CES) until the next Tabs are announced/released? Considering Samsung's "schedule," I'm purposely trying not to rush myself into buying a tablet today, if a better version will be out in a month or so.

Just get it if you want it now. They'll always be something better just around the corner - you'll drive yourself mad playing that game.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Plus it's amazing you're acting like Windows doesn't have automatic patching, especially in a deployed environment.

Sure it's there but it is still an enormous pain in the rear end due to the sheer number/size of patches and the time they take to install (even worse on a netbook class system).

Makes Chrome look downright streamlined.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

dissss posted:

Sure it's there but it is still an enormous pain in the rear end due to the sheer number/size of patches and the time they take to install (even worse on a netbook class system).

Makes Chrome look downright streamlined.

As mentioned, netbooks are dead, so whether things are bad on them is quite irrelevant these days.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Seriously people, don't engage fishmech.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bull3964 posted:

Seriously people, don't engage fishmech.

Stop being wrong.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

As mentioned, netbooks are dead, so whether things are bad on them is quite irrelevant these days.

Netbook-class includes anything with an Atom or low end AMD processor. This segment is far from dead.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

dissss posted:

Netbook-class includes anything with an Atom or low end AMD processor. This segment is far from dead.

Atom device sales were under 3 million units last year, not all of those even in actual "netbooks". AMD sold about 4.5 million of their lower end cpus but many of them were in plain low-end laptops.

Quite frankly first iPads and then later Android tablets and phones have absolutely wrecked the market for very low end small screen laptops aka netbooks.That's why the category went from as much as 18% of all computers sold globally in 2009/2010 to under 0.5% today (Chromebooks sell at about 2% of the global market, if you're wondering. Tablet sales currently stand at something around 90% as many sold as there were all laptops and desktops).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ALL Windows systems that cost less than a Chromebook* have an Atom (maybe branded as a Celeron or Pentium) or low end AMD processor. They all count as netbooks.

* Forget about the Pixel, everyone else did already.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bull3964 posted:

They REALLY need to get Microsoft's RDP client on to ChromeOS. It's pretty much flawless on android, so running in on ChromeOS would make like the best thin client ever.

I would own a Chromebook by now if this were the case. Over the last 8 months they've been spitting out progressively smaller thinner lighter chromebooks, but now Intel's Broadwell is out and now you can find items like the Asus x205 (i.e. "son of Eee Book") for $200 running Windows with the same internals as a Chromebook.

I still want to get my hands on one of those Samsung Chromebook2's with the 1080p IPS panel, even if it does run on their proprietary Exynos arm-cpu.

re: Atom is dead, HP sells the Slate 7 for $85-95 depending on how you browse to it on Amazon's site; Intel has finally figured out how to make a processor competitive with ARM so I think we ought to table this argument until Christmas 2015. Intel just now starting to roll out the end result of about 5 years' worth of mobile CPU R&D. Expect to see Atom and Broadwell-Y (SoC) in a lot more devices rolling out.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 17, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm still pondering a Chromebook 2 to replace my tablet for travel. I really liked having my Windows laptop but it's really bulky, only lasts 3 hours without battery, and is just a hassle. I'd only use it to pull pictures from my phone every night though so I don't know if $350 or so is a good investment just to do that.

Also, what if we made this the Chromebook / Tablet thread if they do the whole Android/ChromeOS idea? :v:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

dissss posted:

ALL Windows systems that cost less than a Chromebook* have an Atom (maybe branded as a Celeron or Pentium) or low end AMD processor. They all count as netbooks.

* Forget about the Pixel, everyone else did already.

Not true, there are lots of small Windows boxes that use the Haswell (and soon Broadwell) Celerons like the 2957U. These are real Haswell/Broadwell chips that are not based on the Atom architecture so they actually have good performance and even stuff like quicksync video encoding. HP's new Stream PC looks pretty nice and has one of those chips: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2864353/hp-takes-on-chromeboxes-with-180-windows-based-stream-mini-pc.html The only downside vs. an Atom is power consumption. These chips use about 15 watts vs. Atom based stuff that's around 5 watts power usage.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Anyone here with a Shield Portable and a Shield Tablet? Worth it? Overkill?

While I love my Portable for controller gaming (Steam, Streaming, etc), it really sucks as a tablet. I'm somewhat tempted to pick up a Shield Tablet to scratch my tablet itch but I feel it might be overkill.

Edit: Most of my mobile gaming is done on my iPhone. The Shield is used mostly for Steam, Grid, and in home streaming.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 17, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Not true, there are lots of small Windows boxes that use the Haswell (and soon Broadwell) Celerons like the 2957U. These are real Haswell/Broadwell chips that are not based on the Atom architecture so they actually have good performance and even stuff like quicksync video encoding. HP's new Stream PC looks pretty nice and has one of those chips: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2864353/hp-takes-on-chromeboxes-with-180-windows-based-stream-mini-pc.html The only downside vs. an Atom is power consumption. These chips use about 15 watts vs. Atom based stuff that's around 5 watts power usage.

Okay replace all with most. The other Streams are still Atom based as far as I can recall.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

JayKay posted:

While I love my Portable for controller gaming (Steam, Streaming, etc), it really sucks as a tablet. I'm somewhat tempted to pick up a Shield Tablet to scratch my tablet itch but I feel it might be overkill.

Shield tablet is pretty popular in this thread. I almost bought one, and probably would if I broke my current tablet or needed a second one because I grew a third arm or something.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

JayKay posted:

Edit: Most of my mobile gaming is done on my iPhone. The Shield is used mostly for Steam, Grid, and in home streaming.

Plays any Android game without problem. Using the awful app in portrait works really well. Videos look really good when set to fill vertically. It cuts off a really small bit on the sides for 720/1080 making the Bezel the only black bars. I wouldn't suggest vertically fitting movies though.

Portrait leaves something to desire when trying to use it one handed. The Bezel is REALLY thin on the sides. This, again, nice for videos.

The speakers are nice and loud. Using something like MX player you can increase the volume by 100%. There seems to be a weird problem with lollipop on the shield where loading something big can cause weird, loud audio squeaks.

Getting back to 4.4 was really easy. Nvidia had a stock ROM installer you run from your PC that will make the tablet entirely stock from recovery to OS. Also, unlocking your boot loader does NOT void your warranty.

If you have any specific questions just ask. There are a lot of nice things about this tablet.

Mini-HDMI output, microSDXC support for up to like 128GB w/ write/reads in the 50/70+ MBps, lot of different case types available.

I tried XMultiWindow, but I have no clue how to use it. I got it to work once, however just from that one off chance thing it didn't seem really good. Side by side in landscape the windows were really too small to be usable.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 17, 2015

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

SlayVus posted:

Getting back to 4.4 was really easy.

Wait, what! Why?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Daimo posted:

Wait, what! Why?

SlayVus posted:

There seems to be a weird problem with lollipop on the shield where loading something big can cause weird, loud audio squeaks..

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Wow what a moron.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Daimo posted:

Wow what a moron.

I'm a moron for not wanting every hour or so for there to be LOUD squeaking audio pops during videos, games, web browsing? Like these are ear hurting sounds. Haven't had any of it since I've gotten back to 4.4

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

The implication was to myself :downs:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

dissss posted:

Okay replace all with most. The other Streams are still Atom based as far as I can recall.

Only the stream tablets are Atom based. The Stream 11/13 laptops for $200ish are also Celeron based (and surprisingly snappy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

Only the stream tablets are Atom based. The Stream 11/13 laptops for $200ish are also Celeron based (and surprisingly snappy).

Those are Atoms with Celeron branding