Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I thought the map was telling us that the New Gods sat above the Orrery, but here the Kirby world had their own set?

e: The N52 New Gods zipping between Earth 2 and the main one supported the first notion, so I wonder what's up.
ee: Not that I'm against Kirby's NG's chilling in Kirby Land.

I got the sense that the worlds outside the Orrery are where the true version of the Gods exist. The way the New Gods were talking in the Kamandi universe, it seems like they were "projections" of the larger God idea outside the Orrery, like Hindu avatars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Do we yet know why Earth-8 has the 90s DC logo? I know Earth-8 circa Infinite Crisis was supposed to be a world for 90s DC characters (Kyle Rayner, etc) but now that it's a Marvel pastiche I'm confused.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Probably because it's an obvious comic company logo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I assumed it was the DC bullet when we just had Earth logos to go by, but I'm guessing it's supposed to recall a Cap America type shield.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 1, 2015

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Evil Mastermind posted:

Probably because it's an obvious comic company logo.
Its either this or a sly 'Well we're not using the old logo for a DC property really so yeah let's use it' kind of thing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bleedingcool has the Guidebook sitting at #4 for the week in their retailer poll, which is pretty good for an $8 comic. I have been curious about how well the series sells.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/02/02/bleeding-cool-bestseller-list-2nd-feb-2015-batman-goes-swim/

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Teenage Fansub posted:

Bleedingcool has the Guidebook sitting at #4 for the week in their retailer poll, which is pretty good for an $8 comic. I have been curious about how well the series sells.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/02/02/bleeding-cool-bestseller-list-2nd-feb-2015-batman-goes-swim/

It sells a little less than 50,000 since Thunderworld.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's only been the Guidebook since Thunderworld.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I kinda feel sorry for Grant Morrison right now; he finally manages to put together and codify the 52, getting the whole thing published after years of work...and today DC announced they're ditching the New 52.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Evil Mastermind posted:

I kinda feel sorry for Grant Morrison right now; he finally manages to put together and codify the 52, getting the whole thing published after years of work...and today DC announced they're ditching the New 52.

As much as I love Multiversity, I wish Morrison would ditch DC forever after it's done and go do Hypercrisis stuff at Marvel. Though he could still be mad about the Magneto thing...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What's sad is that this is pretty much the same thing that happened after Final Crisis.

Morrison: "Okay, here you go. I've set up Earth as the Fifth World, age of men as gods, even a way out of the grimdark stuff you've been focusing on."
DC: "Thanks. By the way, we're resetting the whole multiverse next week so none of that stuff matters anymore."

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

It's a constant thing with him. He creates new characters and grandiose ideas for other people to grab and run with and they either fade into obscurity or languish untouched for years. Seven Soldiers was designed to offer a backdoor into seven ongoing titles but nothing came of it, Final Crisis establishes a new status quo that's quickly ignored and reset, Multiversity heralds stories of an interconnected universe just in time for DC to brush continuity under the rug.

At least there's creators out there paying attention and willing to play in his sandbox, even if it's years down the line. I'm still flabbergasted that Midas and Dominatrix from Marvel Boy were so prominent in Original Sin.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Evil Mastermind posted:

They're ditching the New 52 branding and adopting a looser editorial approach. There's no indication at all that they're scrapping the New 52 continuity.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Morrison loving LOVES DC, dude.
If he was mad about them futzing with continuity (the third time they've done so while he's worked for them,) he wouldn't have constructed a new Superman origin for them right after FC.
I'm sure that aspect is a big part of the fascination for him. He had an arc in Animal Man dedicated to the continuity ghosts created by Crisis on Infinite Earths.

e: and of course the depiction of DC history through Crisises in the guidebook. Hands of the creators and all that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 7, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Evil Mastermind posted:

Haha, I was wondering when they'd drop the charade.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
I wouldn't be surprised if he preferred the DC style of rebooting over the rewriting of history that Marvel does with it's continuity like his New X-Men run or One More Day.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mastermen preview
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=26095

The dreaded Jim Lee issue looks great so far.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 15, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Okay, seriously digging that pirate universe alternate cover.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Okay, seriously digging that pirate universe alternate cover.

Aaron Kuder is the best.

I wonder how that Superman comic exists on this Earth.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Morrison really loves combining Hitler and toilets, huh?

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011
I'm surprised he's reading a generic Superman comic rather than one of the other Multiversity books.

On the other hand, this is the universe where Kal-El's pod landed in Germany rather than Kansas, and the cover shows Superman punching Hitler in the face--have messages been shuttling back and forth between universes inside comic books longer than we think?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The interesting thing is that on the last page it's a Captain America (well, Not captain America Really) comic that he's running his fingers over instead.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I have to say, not a great issue this month. The Sivana-made Freedom Fighters didn't even do anything!

Still, this is the biggest entry point for the Gentry we've seen so far; a hero killed an entire city of innocent people.

And now, in one month...Ultraa Comics. :ohdear:

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah besides more Sivana and Gentry there wasn't a whole lot going on in Mastermen. I did like how it showed the "corruption" of a Nazi-controlled Earth (ie Sivana helping the good guys).

Also I just noticed in this issue that cases full of trophies are a recurring theme: Overman is sat looking at a bunch of things in class balls in this issue, there were all the cabinets being strolled past in the opening pages of Pax Americana and the old super suits on display in The Just. Which either means something about preserving things as they are, or it's just a superhero trope that the artists keep using to fill in background detail.

Reference to the Ring cycle was cute, in context of Pax Americana and history repeating itself and stuff.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I am wondering now if the Sivanas are knowingly working with the Gentry, are being manipulated by the Gentry, or are just taking advantage of everything that's going on for their own benefit.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

I am wondering now if the Sivanas are knowingly working with the Gentry, are being manipulated by the Gentry, or are just taking advantage of everything that's going on for their own benefit.

Sivana was involved in setting off 52 so it wouldn't be the first time he was unwittedly involved in a multiverse level disaster.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I really do hope that the Sivana Multiversal Consortium keeps being a thing after Multiversity is over, because it's such a great concept.

Also, Uberman says he was gone "only three years". Was that when we was in Superman Beyond? I got the impression that happened after he realized the truth of what the Nazis were doing.

e: something I just noticed on a re-read; Leatherwing tells Underwater man that Uberman didn't see anything off in Living Bomb's cellular structure. But that's not what happend; Uberman specifically calls out Bomb's rapid healing.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 18, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senor Candle posted:

Sivana was involved in setting off 52 so it wouldn't be the first time he was unwittedly involved in a multiverse level disaster.

Haha, man, you don't know Sivana.

That is how Sivana rolls. Dude doesn't give a poo poo. He colonized Mars with his bare hands. He tried to murder time. He decided to murder a policeman in broad daylight just because he could.

Sivana owns. He is the best mad scientist ever. Lex Luthor wishes he was Sivana.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Evil Mastermind posted:

I really do hope that the Sivana Multiversal Consortium keeps being a thing after Multiversity is over, because it's such a great concept.

Also, Uberman says he was gone "only three years". Was that when we was in Superman Beyond? I got the impression that happened after he realized the truth of what the Nazis were doing.

I always figured the events in Superman Beyond took place in between heartbeats for all involved. I think the 3 years was a trip to outer space because that's where he got the anti-aging stuff for Lena. That actually reminded me of his trip to outer space in Superman Returns.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Who was the atomic character this issue?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

WickedHate posted:

Who was the atomic character this issue?

Ray Lincoln aka Human Bomb

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Roy_Lincoln_(Earth-Two)

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Haha, nazi Batman's grandpa is Enemy Ace

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hans von Hammer weren't no ratzi, though. Leatherwing was a total dick.

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.
If Enemy Ace was his grandpa, who was his grandma? Because god drat those are some serious thunder-thighs, Bruce.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Maybe his pants are just poofy.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

MC von Hammer

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Premeditated Toast posted:

If Enemy Ace was his grandpa, who was his grandma? Because god drat those are some serious thunder-thighs, Bruce.

You can see in the sketch variant cover that they're supposed to be flared-leg trousers in the style of Nazi-era German officer uniforms (themselves an artifact of cavalry-mounted officers wearing jodhpurs), but I'm guessing the inker and/or colorist missed the mark and gave us Herr Bruce Onatopp.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's within the 60 years later 2016 section without any other time marker, but the Freedom Fighters unveiling scene has to be a flashback, right?
Them being survivors of purges from the 50's and 60's doesn't go with the year, making me think that's the start/first incarnation of the group.
Is that Phantom Lady there and in the opera house? If it is, she's had a costume change from the earlier scene. I guess Uncle Sam is usually immortal or swapping bodies of old patriots, so his age might not factor, though he is just a hologram elsewhere.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 19, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nazi Bruce never skips leg hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey guys I did some updating of the list of universes and their sources I posted upthread.

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's within the 60 years later 2016 section without any other time marker, but the Freedom Fighters unveiling scene has to be a flashback, right?
Them being survivors of purges from the 50's and 60's doesn't go with the year, making me think that's the start/first incarnation of the group.
Is that Phantom Lady there and in the opera house? If it is, she's had a costume change from the earlier scene. I guess Uncle Sam is usually immortal or swapping bodies of old patriots, so his age might not factor, though he is just a hologram elsewhere.

Huh, that's an interesting theory. And it'd make sense; Uncle Sam is supposed to be an immortal "spirit of freedom" but if his concept of freedom is wiped out, where does that leave him?

I'm still picking a few things up on re-reads, but overall I think this is a story that needed more than a single issue to really work with. It's like trying to jam Red Son into 30 pages.

• Locked thread