Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I like it more than Hold 'Em but yeah it's obviously Sirlin trying to improve on that formula. I think it works but it's not nearly as sexy as Hold em so it's harder to get normal people to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

I still have my copy of David Sirlin's Pandante in shrink wrap. I don't remember hearing much about it here. Is it worth opening, or should I gift it away somewhere down the line?

I've tried it with a mix of Poker players (including one regular/successful tournament player) and non-Poker players.

Nobody liked it!

It takes forever to play a hand, it's fiddly, it rewards really repetitive/boring strategies, and has way too much randomness right up to the final resolution. Skip.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

I still have my copy of David Sirlin's Pandante in shrink wrap. I don't remember hearing much about it here. Is it worth opening, or should I gift it away somewhere down the line?

I like the idea and we've played a few times (with people who know how to play Hold 'Em) and it's certainly different.

I liked it and people did have some fun, but then again no one's gone "hey let's play Pandante" since so :shrug:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

Our youngest loves Clue: The Great Museum Caper and I was thinking of getting another "hidden movement" game like it.

Is there any reason I shouldn't just get Letters From Whitechapel? Is the deluxe version worth it? Does it play well with just 2 players?

How young is your youngest? Is a theme based on a prostitute murderer acceptable? If so, that's probably about as good as it gets.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

PerniciousKnid posted:

How young is your youngest? Is a theme based on a prostitute murderer acceptable? If so, that's probably about as good as it gets.
There's also Fury Of Dracula, but it's (from everything I've heard) fairly fiddly, a bit overcomplicated, and very out of print.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

EvilChameleon posted:

Get Glory to Rome because it is the best game. I mean, if you can find it. There's almost no set up and you build stuff and try to break the game better than others. Have you considered Eminent Domain? It's a bit fiddly, as you say, but it feels like RFTG in a lot of ways because you are building a tableau of planets, you have mostly simultaneous turns so there isn't downtime, and it has about as much PVP as RFTG. Otherwise, what's wrong with San Juan? I haven't played the physical game but I've played the android clone and it seems like it would fit, but maybe someone who has played a physical copy could help you out.

If they ever print a nice English version of Glory to Rome again I'll buy it, not holding my breath though. I have considered EmDo but I hear it really needs an expansion to be good, is that right?

San Juan would get one play and be discarded to go back to Race, it's just not interesting enough by comparison.

Megasabin posted:

Holy poo poo. Glory to Rome is 90 dollars? Some random board game shop owner convinced me to buy it on a whim 3 years ago for 15 bucks since he said it was his go to game. Since it wasn't the game I purposefully purchases, I forgot about it, and It's been sitting on my shelf unplayed since. Is it actually good?

:suicide:

edit: Depends on what version you have. The "Black Box" version is the expensive one. If your copy looks like a colour printer vomited all over the cards, it is not the Black Box version.

Trasson posted:

Figuring out how to efficiently store, setup, and tear down Dominion with expansions is the real fun of the game. The whole deckbuilding thing is just something people do to make it multiplayer.

I know a guy who just put each set of cards in its own baggie and chucked all the baggies in a large box. Setup is simply fishing out 10 random baggies. Seemed a reasonable idea if you don't mind the messy box. Obviously you need to store money/VP/miscellaneous cards differently though.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 18, 2015

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I don't have experience playing it, but the Bioterrorist variant for Pandemic has hidden movement and a 1 v many foundation.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Why is Machi Koro so popular? It's everywhere but it always seems to be followed by people commenting on how it's kind of dull

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well, game night at the LGS, let's see if it goes any better than last time.

Edit; well we've got a guy rapid fire talking about ways for GMs to gently caress players over in Pathfinder so already off to a swimming start.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 18, 2015

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Why is Machi Koro so popular? It's everywhere but it always seems to be followed by people commenting on how it's kind of dull

It's cheap

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

It was also largely unavailable for a while.

See also: Star Realms.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It's simple and lets you roll dice a lot to get money.

Bubble-T posted:

I have considered EmDo but I hear it really needs an expansion to be good, is that right?

Pretty much, the expansion fixes the problems with military in the base set. Variant starts are also nice.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Machi Koro is a great game to play with a six year old.. Or very casually with unambitious adults.

Its success demonstrates how underserved the "very light game"market is.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

jmzero posted:

Machi Koro is a great game to play with a six year old.. Or very casually with unambitious adults.

Its success demonstrates how underserved the "very light game"market is.

My theory is that a pretty game box with a japanese name at a throwaway price point moves off shelves quicker than something like say Camel Up. My friend who doesn't play many games bought it blind from a game store the other week. The box does look pretty awesome, but the game components look like a brochure or something. Still pretty colorful.

edit:

quote:

edit: Depends on what version you have. The "Black Box" version is the expensive one. If your copy looks like a colour printer vomited all over the cards, it is not the Black Box version

Is either version available anywhere? I would even tolerate the horrible clipart edition that looks like it walked straight out of a highlights magazine or some poo poo. It's only 200 cards, maybe it would be cool to just printerstudio up something not hideous if I had the rules

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 18, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kai Tave posted:

Edit; well we've got a guy rapid fire talking about ways for GMs to gently caress players over in Pathfinder so already off to a swimming start.

"You take 10,000 psychic damage, as though a great intelligence in a higher dimension suddenly wanted you to die."

I mean, there are other ways, but they all stem from that one.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
It's been brought up before, but here's another example of how stupidly oversized the Machi Koro box is.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

There's also Fury Of Dracula, but it's (from everything I've heard) fairly fiddly, a bit overcomplicated, and very out of print.

I played FoD once and have it away, it was very underwhelming. I also gave up on the Pandemic bioterrorist after a couple plays, don't really recommend that either.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It's very popular in the "all your stupid nerd games force me to think" crowd. It has some superficial slot machine ooohs and aaaahs without asking too much of the players. I shouldn't have bought it and now I'm trapped.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 18, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I was personally hoping that it would be a good a light game in the same vein as Love Letter or Lost Legacy, but then it takes too long and I'd rather play an actual game (or either of the aforementioned actual light games). The fact that the company that produces this game is astoundingly lovely with their quality control doesn't really help matters. Also the big box is loving stupid.

Machi Koro is making me mad now. A pretty rare regret in my gaming collection, which says a loving lot since I don't even regret getting Arkham Horror+xpacs or Android.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PerniciousKnid posted:

She's 17, and loves horror movies, so we're probably fine there. :black101:

I'm going to go ahead and have the local game shop order us a copy.

Thanks for the feedback!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

What about that Phantom of the Opera game made by the Mr. Jack guy? I think that's a similar thing

Edit: also finally got my 2nd edition Tash Kalar and ever frost expansion, going to :supaburn: my wife

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What about that Phantom of the Opera game made by the Mr. Jack guy? I think that's a similar thing

Edit: also finally got my 2nd edition Tash Kalar and ever frost expansion, going to :supaburn: my wife

Oof. That's a good point. The kidlet really loves Phantom, the musical. I may just need to get both.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's not quite hidden movement, and there's some caveats, but you might also want to look into Tragedy Looper. It's a 1v1-3 about a mastermind using a hidden set-up and roles but revealed, concrete rules and possibilities to commit a series of horrible murders/doomsday scenarios/etc. The team of 1-3 players uses logic to try and stop the murders with anime time magic. :japan:

It is also very, very good, if you can look past the theme. Aside from the weakness, Tragedy Looper also suffers from a lack of replayability. There's a theoretically infinite number of scenarios, but for each individual scenario, once you've played it once, on either side, you won't ever be able to play it as anything but the bad guy again. (Because you'll, obviously, know all the hidden information.) I also personally feel like it works much better with 4 than 2, when you have three minds (and limited communication) to figure out the puzzle, while Whitechapel is basically the opposite, best at 2 when Jack only has to outthink one person instead of 2-5.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I own and really like that game, but if they want hidden movement, Le Fantôme de l'Opéra will not provide that.

If you already know Mr. Jack, it's basically that but without the ability to guess who the phantom is (you need to prove it), and variable difficulty slider so you can face new players and still have an incredibly close game. Or if you and your opponent and can agree that one of you is better than the other and you want a more interesting game.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 18, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

She's 17, and loves horror movies, so we're probably fine there. :black101:

I'm going to go ahead and have the local game shop order us a copy.

Thanks for the feedback!

I hope you like stress. Letters From Whitechapel is either horribly stressful for Jack or the other players will hate it.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Megasabin posted:

Holy poo poo. Glory to Rome is 90 dollars? Some random board game shop owner convinced me to buy it on a whim 3 years ago for 15 bucks since he said it was his go to game. Since it wasn't the game I purposefully purchases, I forgot about it, and It's been sitting on my shelf unplayed since. Is it actually good?

90 dollars is a "good price," 200 for the Black Box edition seems more standard. The clip-art version isn't worth anything because you can still find that new at places. As OmegaGoo said, it's super awesome, it's probably my favourite game. I made a PnP of the Black Box because I figured they probably aren't going to reprint it anytime soon and if they do, I'll buy it. If they want my money, they know what to do! Someone (the creator, I believe) made available all the art from the BB version on BGG so you can go there to make your own if you want.

If you do have the older clipart version, it's still good, it's just that the BB is more slick and it has some new cards in it that I feel really improve the game. Still not bad without them, though.

Bubble-T posted:

If they ever print a nice English version of Glory to Rome again I'll buy it, not holding my breath though. I have considered EmDo but I hear it really needs an expansion to be good, is that right?

San Juan would get one play and be discarded to go back to Race, it's just not interesting enough by comparison.

I understand. You can do what I did and just print your own, but I realize that is not super appealing to many. Eminent Domain isn't godawful with just the base set or anything, but the expansion makes almost everything so much better so I'm not sure why you wouldn't play without it. It's not terribly expensive. Both the base game and expansion should be under $50 which is the price of a good size game anyways. I wouldn't necessarily put it over RFTG but it has enough in common that I like to play it and different enough that I don't feel like it takes up the same space mentally as the same type of game. YMMV. I've only played it once with two players, and it wasn't that bad -- if you like RFTG 2 players then this would be a similar type of experience.

I just played Roll for the Galaxy tonight for the first time. I got 60 points and the guy who taught it seemed unhappy that I did so well. It seems like a pretty fun adjunct to Race but it won't replace Race in my heart or its elegance of all card economy.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Actual board game trip report was decent, better than last week's wet fart. Hyperactive wouldn't-shut-up-about-Pathfinder guy was kind of annoying (and smelled bad too) but it's vaguely heartening when the store owner also admits (in private) that he finds the guy insufferable too.

Game two of Risk: Legacy went on for a bit longer than I'm used to the early games going with a lot of turmoil in Africa but eventually resolved itself, no new packs unlocked but we should in theory be getting to one around game three or so. I'm trying to stick with a consistent player group for that one but some fluctuations seem inevitable, still it's a full 15 games for a cycle so I'm not too worried. I lost but held on and went to name one my minor city Bullet-Town but an dumb error with the pen led me to cross a line through the L's as I was writing it, so after a moment's consideration I shrugged and renamed it to Butte Town instead which I'm sure will lead to much hilarity in the future.

After that we played some King of Tokyo (eh) and I finally got to play my first game of Dixit which is, as advertised, very good. Pathfinder guy kept trying to compare it to Cards Against Humanity but pretty much everybody else playing (plus the store owner who was sorting some Magic cards) was like "not really, this is actually fun," so there you go Board Games Thread.

On the way out the door I saw a two-pack Summoner Wars box set (Phoenix Elves vs. Tundra Orcs) and so I decided to snag that to pad out my roster with a two-player game (they didn't have Tash-Kalar in stock, I may have to special order it). I figure next time I go I'll see about going a bit early and maybe try a game with the store owner who says he's played it before, then go for some Kemet which we haven't played in a few weeks. I find I'm generally averaging about one good(ish) trip to every kinda crappy trip so...hooray?

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 18, 2015

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jedit posted:

I hope you like stress. Letters From Whitechapel is either horribly stressful for Jack or the other players will hate it.
I don't think it's stressful at all

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bowmore posted:

I don't think it's stressful at all

Psychopath detected. (Arrests bowmore on 155.)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jedit posted:

Psychopath detected. (Arrests bowmore on 155.)
*puts down clear disc* try again coppa

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
I'm looking for a good solo game that's small and short, but with more strategy than randomness. I've narrowed the ones I'm looking at down to Space Hulk: Death Angel or Onirim, can anyone recommend any others/dissuade me from buying either?

PubicMice fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Feb 18, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
EDIT: Regarding Space Hulk, you edited while I was typing.

It checks on the setup time/space needed areas, and there are interesting decisions to make each turn. It also nails the feeling of surviving against a horde and the need of thinning the enemy in order to have a chance.

That said, it's not a game that will hold your attention, as all the games end up feeling pretty samey after a while (there are little variety in locations and squads) and the difficulty comes mostly from the dice loving you over. It's pretty easy for the game to start snowballing and overwhelm your teams with a couple of bad rolls from an apparently easy position.

I ended up playing it maybe once every two weeks and enjoying it, but it's not a game that will hold your attention for long periods. I also find the co-op part lackluster, it's designed to play solo and have control over all your dudes.

Haven't played Onirim.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I quite like Onirim as either a solo or 2 player game but I'm not sure it would fit what you want. There's some strategy, the deck is redundant enough that it's not overly random, and it's difficult enough when you add in the right expansion modules (2nd edition comes with 7 of them).. but it's not exactly a thinky game either and there's a lot of shuffling involved. Play before buy, IMO, and make sure you try it with some expansion parts as the base game is too easy in solo mode.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PubicMice posted:

I'm looking for a good solo game that's small and short, but with more strategy than randomness. I've narrowed the ones I'm looking at down to Space Hulk: Death Angel or Onirim, can anyone recommend any others/dissuade me from buying either?

I would recommend Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert (get Desert if your only going to get one). They are small and cheap, coming in a little tin. They can be played 1-4 players though it is best with only one because each game is basically a new logic puzzle every time you play. Both games are in the same vein as Pandemic, but more streamlined.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/136063/forbidden-desert
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/65244/forbidden-island

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Since someone mentioned it above, what is Camel Up like?

Also huzzah! Just got my MK expansions + RollFTG!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Oh hey I'll talk about Fury Of Dracula which I actually own and have played a half-dozen times.

So, it's not great, for a couple of reasons:

1) Anticlimactic endgame. Big time. Dracula loses in slow motion. There's a point where the game just isn't interesting anymore, Drac is in real trouble and being hounded and has a 10% chance of winning, and if you don't just throw up your hands and call it you're probably in for an extra 45 minutes of time before Drac finally does lose. Or the Hunters just stumble around the board and the clock clicks over while they can't find Drac and Game Over.

2) The combat. It is Not Good. Imagine the most unsatisfying hybrid of Paper-Rock-Scissors and Roll A Die you can think of and you've pretty much got it. It's also kind of lovely in the sense that it requires a bunch more player knowledge than the rest of the game (you have to know how the various inventory items that the Hunters have interact with Drac's powers for the Paper-Rock-Scissors part)

The early and middle game are actually pretty fun and alright. The game is also easy to teach and pick up in every way but the overly-engineered combat. Ultimately the game is brought down by the unsatisfying ending and the fact that any direct confrontation between Drac and the Hunters feels mushy. I would not recommend purchase for what it is going for, and have thought long and hard about selling my copy (but I loving love the look of the game and the draw-from-the-bottom deck mechanics)

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 18, 2015

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

ChiTownEddie posted:

Since someone mentioned it above, what is Camel Up like?

Hilarious, light, and super casual. The entire game you are at the whim of the dice, but you're betting on a race, so it doesn't feel bad. There is a modicum of strategy, but nothing more than push-your-luck. Still, you could do much worse for a casual game.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

OmegaGoo posted:

Hilarious, light, and super casual. The entire game you are at the whim of the dice, but you're betting on a race, so it doesn't feel bad. There is a modicum of strategy, but nothing more than push-your-luck. Still, you could do much worse for a casual game.

Interesting. Hilarious is always a + for a light game. I'll toss it in my backlog of casual games then haha.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Oh hey I'll talk about Fury Of Dracula which I actually own and have played a half-dozen times.

So, it's not great, for a couple of reasons:

1) Anticlimactic endgame. Big time. Dracula loses in slow motion. There's a point where the game just isn't interesting anymore, Drac is in real trouble and being hounded and has a 10% chance of winning, and if you don't just throw up your hands and call it you're probably in for an extra 45 minutes of time before Drac finally does lose. Or the Hunters just stumble around the board and the clock clicks over while they can't find Drac and Game Over.

2) The combat. It is Not Good. Imagine the most unsatisfying hybrid of Paper-Rock-Scissors and Roll A Die you can think of and you've pretty much got it. It's also kind of lovely in the sense that it requires a bunch more player knowledge than the rest of the game (you have to know how the various inventory items that the Hunters have interact with Drac's powers for the Paper-Rock-Scissors part)

The early and middle game are actually pretty fun and alright. The game is also easy to teach and pick up in every way but the overly-engineered combat. Ultimately the game is brought down by the unsatisfying ending and the fact that any direct confrontation between Drac and the Hunters feels mushy. I would not recommend purchase for what it is going for, and have thought long and hard about selling my copy (but I loving love the look of the game and the draw-from-the-bottom deck mechanics)

Sounds like one of those games I'd end up wanting to "fix", could it be done?

I do have Castle Ravenloft sitting around for some... components...

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Can I get some more opinions on castle of mad Ludwig, or whatever the name is, please?
Is it like carsaonnon, don't have game near me phone does not know the word, but with bidding?

I really enjoyed the c game way more than I thought I would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Pimpmust posted:

Sounds like one of those games I'd end up wanting to "fix", could it be done?

I do have Castle Ravenloft sitting around for some... components...

The game is based on the novel Dracula (it actually takes place 10(?) years after the book) and presupposes that Dracula survived and is back with a new, more subtle plan. The game only draws items, themes, and abilities from said novel. It's fairly low-key, so no sending Werewolves after the Hunters or other crazy stuff.

If you wanted to raid Mansions of Madness and Ravenloft for components and go full-on Hammer Horror you could make a pretty decent Vengeance of Dracula game out of it. Dracula worshippers popping up in major cities, werewolves attacking the Hunters in Eastern Europe, kidnap plots in Spain. It would be a lot more encounter heavy and probably based on the Hunters going full on offensive during the day and buckling up together at night for Drac's counter-attack. It would be a lot less hide and seek and a lot more "run around Europe and stop Drac's plans, oh and btw if you stumble across Drac's trail you might want to stake the fucker". At least how I envision it.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 18, 2015