Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Actually, that makes me curious, has Jrod ever talked about the 2008 crash?

I don't see what the need is. Here, I will present his argument for him.

(1) Statist interventions helped to cause the crisis by creating bad incentives that lead to the bubble through house-purchasing incentives, interest rate manipulation and giving bailouts to banks (moral hazard); these incentives would not happen without a central manipulating authority with monopoly control of a fiat currency.
(2) Bailouts are indicative of crony capitalism with the banks who rely on the state to survive and would not survive in a free market without a state.

Of course, the first half of both of these statements are true, but it's by no means all of the story and the conclusions are severely lacking. I have often considered a libertarian gimmick account that puts libertarian arguments better than Jrod just to make this thread punchier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Disinterested posted:

I don't see what the need is. Here, I will present his argument for him.

(1) Statist interventions helped to cause the crisis by creating bad incentives that lead to the bubble through house-purchasing incentives, interest rate manipulation and giving bailouts to banks (moral hazard); these incentives would not happen without a central manipulating authority with monopoly control of a fiat currency.
(2) Bailouts are indicative of crony capitalism with the banks who rely on the state to survive and would not survive in a free market without a state.

Of course, the first half of both of these statements are true, but it's by no means all of the story and the conclusions are severely lacking. I have often considered a libertarian gimmick account that puts libertarian arguments better than Jrod just to make this thread punchier.

Actually they're almost entirely true they just say nothing about other good things the state does or how the market alone, literally absent a state, would handle the same situation.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Actually they're almost entirely true they just say nothing about other good things the state does or how the market alone, literally absent a state, would handle the same situation.

No, not having a central bank would not have made the situation better, nor would having currency competition. In fact, it's arguable there was too much pseudo-money floating around in the banking system. Voila: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repurchase_agreement

Moreover, the argument at (2) is implied to be a good thing, when I think it's apparent that permitting bank runs and not doing bailouts is a disastrous policy.

The causal claims are all true, but not self-sufficiently. There's another story to do with deregulation and psychotic and fraudulent banking practices that is totally absent from that libertarian standard history I provided.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Disinterested posted:

No, not having a central bank would not have made the situation better, nor would having currency competition. In fact, it's arguable there was too much pseudo-money floating around in the banking system. Voila: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repurchase_agreement

Moreover, the argument at (2) is implied to be a good thing, when I think it's apparent that permitting bank runs and not doing bailouts is a disastrous policy.

The causal claims are all true, but not self-sufficiently. There's another story to do with deregulation and psychotic and fraudulent banking practices that is totally absent from that libertarian standard history I provided.

You didn't say "not having a central bank would make things better" you said "these incentives would not happen without a central manipulating authority with monopoly control of a fiat currency." - while the phrase "manipulating authority" could have been chosen differently, the statement is basically still exactly correct.

The point is that it's important to be able to stare problems in the face and not run wildly into the arms of a different, possibly worse problem.. Libertarianism does exactly that with every problem in government. They're not necessarily wrong in their criticism, but the conclusions are wildly off-base.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

asdf32 posted:

You didn't say "not having a central bank would make things better" you said "these incentives would not happen without a central manipulating authority with monopoly control of a fiat currency." - while the phrase "manipulating authority" could have been chosen differently, the statement is basically still exactly correct.

No I'm p. sure there would be worse bubbles and runs without the central bank. There would be even worse incentive structures at work, I imagine, they just wouldn't be so centrally-housed and easily corrected.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Disinterested posted:

No I'm p. sure there would be worse bubbles and runs without the central bank. There would be even worse incentive structures at work, I imagine, they just wouldn't be so centrally-housed and easily corrected.

Also not disagreeing with that. That doesn't mean that the recent bubble, as it played out, wasn't influenced by government incentives however.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Also not disagreeing with that. That doesn't mean that the recent bubble, as it played out, wasn't influenced by government incentives however.

A view accepted by the entire political spectrum as far as I know.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Disinterested posted:

A view accepted by the entire political spectrum as far as I know.

Not me, I reject any implication that the governments lack of regulation in an area makes it a moral imperative for the markets to act on that opening and exploit it.

Why libertarianism doesn't work.txt

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

Not me, I reject any implication that the governments lack of regulation in an area makes it a moral imperative for the markets to act on that opening and exploit it.

Why libertarianism doesn't work.txt

Yeah but they often apply the reverse logic to interest rates.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Government distorting the market and giving free "money" to black people people with no incentive to research their investment.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

SedanChair posted:

Government distorting the market and giving free "money" to black people people with no incentive to research their investment.

And the Goldman Sachs derivatives specifically designed to obfuscate the nature of the investment loan? Is that just ignored or on the banks for not doing their due diligence on the investment sold by the mega monolith with a previously sterling reputation?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I took a quick ctrl-f through his history in this thread, and it turns out that he has addressed 2008 several times, on one specific topic: the (incorrect) fact that Austrians warned us of the housing bubble and subsequent crash while non-Austrians did not. His evidence for the Austrians is usually that Peter Schiff or someone similar who constantly predicts immanent collapse happened to do so around the right time for the crash, usually also predicting Weimar-style hyperinflation. His evidence that filthy Keynesians failed to predict it was (as best as I can tell) do a search for Krugman editorials that contained the word "housing" and post them as proof without reading any of them. Several of the articles he listed as evidence for Krugman saying housing isn't in a bubble were literally "there's a housing bubble right now, and it's going to be super bad when it bursts" in like 2003-4, but we can deduce from first principles that he must have been wrong, so there isn't any need to address or read the actual content of his editorials.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
To adapt a classic burn used against another libertarian poster, years ago: Oh no, it's someone who knows something about anything, how did they know Jrod's one weakness?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Oh yes, can we please talk about the 2008 crash more? That's way more interesting than all the vaccine stuff.

Speaking of which, I always hear about the effects interest rates had on the crash. Which interest rates are people referring to exactly (I believe there's more than one kind that the Fed tinkers with) and is there a historical table that has that info over the decades?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Oh yes, can we please talk about the 2008 crash more? That's way more interesting than all the vaccine stuff.

Speaking of which, I always hear about the effects interest rates had on the crash. Which interest rates are people referring to exactly (I believe there's more than one kind that the Fed tinkers with) and is there a historical table that has that info over the decades?

The one being talked about when people talk about "Interest rates" is usually the Federal Funds Rate. This is the rate at which banks trade balances held at the federal reserve, and serves in many ways as a benchmark rate to which all other investments are compared, similar to LIBOR.

This chart is as close as I can find to a historical table, and more or less shows the problem. Interest rates in general dropped into the toilet in the 2000 era, which caused people to take their money elsewhere in search of profitable investments since yeilds on US Treasury bonds likewise went down to the 1-3% mark. Banks started throwing together CDO products and selling them like mad, and the market loved that poo poo since it was easy money. Eventually they ran out of people to sell houses to who were qualified, but no one wanted to admit the game was over so they just cut lending standards over and over until they were giving houses to literal corpses knowing full well that they weren't going to be responsible.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

The point is the Fed is supposed to ratchet the rate up to make borrowing more expensive so people don't work themselves in to gigantic housing bubbles, but Greenspan did the opposite because that way the economy looks great right until the moment it doesn't. There wasn't even much stopping the Fed, since there wasn't especially low (or high) inflation and even a small move makes a big difference.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Caros posted:

The one being talked about when people talk about "Interest rates" is usually the Federal Funds Rate. This is the rate at which banks trade balances held at the federal reserve, and serves in many ways as a benchmark rate to which all other investments are compared, similar to LIBOR.

This chart is as close as I can find to a historical table, and more or less shows the problem. Interest rates in general dropped into the toilet in the 2000 era, which caused people to take their money elsewhere in search of profitable investments since yeilds on US Treasury bonds likewise went down to the 1-3% mark. Banks started throwing together CDO products and selling them like mad, and the market loved that poo poo since it was easy money. Eventually they ran out of people to sell houses to who were qualified, but no one wanted to admit the game was over so they just cut lending standards over and over until they were giving houses to literal corpses knowing full well that they weren't going to be responsible.

Ah, much obliged!

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Ah, much obliged!

If you haven't read it, get your hands on a copy of Matt Taibbi's "Griftopia". Also get a bottle of bourbon, you're going to need that.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Caros posted:

If you haven't read it, get your hands on a copy of Matt Taibbi's "Griftopia". Also get a bottle of bourbon, you're going to need that.

Oh most definitely. It's been on my "to buy" list for the longest time.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Oh most definitely. It's been on my "to buy" list for the longest time.

Don't forget the bourbon. I can't stress that enough. The book will seem pretty okay at first, but about halfway through you'll want a drink. Also god help you if you even try to look at his followup book without a glass in your hand.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Disinterested posted:

The point is the Fed is supposed to ratchet the rate up to make borrowing more expensive so people don't work themselves in to gigantic housing bubbles, but Greenspan did the opposite because that way the economy looks great right until the moment it doesn't. There wasn't even much stopping the Fed, since there wasn't especially low (or high) inflation and even a small move makes a big difference.

I.e. Greenspan was a big old dummy

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I was watching the latest segment by John Oliver about the tobacco industry, and it was yet another example of why we need somebody to watch over companies. Philip Morris has no problem with selling cigarettes to actual children in third world countries. If companies like that have no moral issues with doing such things, then there's really not a lot of morality companies like that have to begin with.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr Interweb posted:

I was watching the latest segment by John Oliver about the tobacco industry, and it was yet another example of why we need somebody to watch over companies. Philip Morris has no problem with selling cigarettes to actual children in third world countries. If companies like that have no moral issues with doing such things, then there's really not a lot of morality companies like that have to begin with.

corporations are by definition sociopathic because they only give PR lip service to the extent that it supports their primary goal, to make profit

libertarians really hate it when you point out that they worship and idolize sociopaths

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

At least Objectivists own it and build a whole morality around worshiping sociopaths instead of trying to pretend their ideal society won't starve the children of poverty.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Apparently Kevin Sorbo is not only a hardcore religious conservative, he's also an AnCap/Libertarian. As are Tuvok and Ensign Kim;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT2kVRKSyU8

I have never been more disappointed that I cannot watch a terrible film than I am at this moment.

Jrod, please write for us a review of this amazing movie. I am sure you have seen it, because Ron Paul has endorsed it.

Edit: Also, yes, those are FEMA agents with the shoulder-lights and Firetruck horns.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 18, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't care what terrible opinions Kevin Sorbo has, Poolboy 2: Drowning Out The Fury will always be the greatest movie in my heart.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

I figured they were all just desperate for work.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Dammit Hercules, what would Zeus say!?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Is one of the news segments announcing gold being withdrawn from Ft Knox?

:lol:

I mean $400 billion of gold isn't chump change, but come on the banks stole more than that during the financial crisis.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Rhjamiz posted:

Apparently Kevin Sorbo is not only a hardcore religious conservative, he's also an AnCap/Libertarian. As are Tuvok and Ensign Kim;

I have never been more disappointed that I cannot watch a terrible film than I am at this moment.

Jrod, please write for us a review of this amazing movie. I am sure you have seen it, because Ron Paul has endorsed it.

Edit: Also, yes, those are FEMA agents with the shoulder-lights and Firetruck horns.

I think Tim Russ and Garrat Wang both like having food in their stomachs and a roof to sleep under.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

http://www.salon.com/2015/02/18/thats_something_that_should_make_libertarians_nervous_inside_the_tumultuous_rise_of_an_american_ideology/

"Power is the ability to force people to do things they don’t want to do. I don’t think corporations have that kind of power."

Apparently corporations cannot coerce.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BrandorKP posted:

"Power is the ability to force people to do things they don’t want to do. I don’t think corporations have that kind of power."

Apparently corporations cannot coerce.

any time you create joinder with a corporation by being employed, buying their product you establish implied affirmative consent

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Is one of the news segments announcing gold being withdrawn from Ft Knox?

:lol:

I mean $400 billion of gold isn't chump change, but come on the banks stole more than that during the financial crisis.

That was worthless fiat, in the future you'll only be able to buy Bitcoins with gold bars and that's why the banks are withdrawing gold

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Mr Interweb posted:

Would jrode actually see this as a bad thing? In a truly free society, peoples of all ages should be able to enjoy the cool taste of menthol without men with guns infringing on that liberty.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I suspect that it'll be more "Obviously cigarettes are bad for children and I don't support it, but have you looked at the open research questions? I had a cigarette as a child and I turned out fine. We should let the market figure out the natural alternatives to cigarettes."

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 18, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure jrod has enough life experience to have smoked a cigarette.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Rhjamiz posted:

This movie should really clue you in...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
What is Jrod's view of Rand Paul starring in a Homophobic documentary?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

CommieGIR posted:

What is Jrod's view of Rand Paul starring in a Homophobic documentary?

Rand Paul is in it, ergo it's not homophobic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Uroboros posted:

This movie should really clue you in...

Oh, like, I said, I already knew he was a religious nut (thanks to that movie). I just didn't know he leaned AnCap too. :v: