Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Is "The Prydian Chronicles" chronicles classified as YA? Because I liked that, although I was YA at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Barbe Rouge posted:

I had a feeling it was. Are the "ancient elves" the pre-apoc humans then? And magic is the technology that survived?

None of the survivors remember the names of the old cities so it was a long while in the past, the rules for the radiation are pretty fantastic/more magical realism than real, and the one time we see a character use a gun she has *very* strange beliefs about how it works. That doesn't mean Abercrombie didn't just change how radiation works. It does seem to be post apocalyptic, but you wouldn't get the confusion that the characters have about the past over a few hundred years. Maybe they wouldn't remember the names of major cities, but an oral tradition wouldn't have mutated as fast as the traditions seem to. The confusion going on with the One God coming up from the South for instance, that to me indicates that it's pretty long time since anyone has been able to read a Bible. On the other hand, we've seen no evidence that the Elves aren't human.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

Oh, a new novel comes out next week. I'm excited.

Wait. Please don't tell me it a foray into YA books. If it is I give up on reading genre literature.
His first "YA" book was really quite good, so this one should be as well.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Is there a recap of Half a King anywhere?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Ravenfood posted:

His first "YA" book was really quite good, so this one should be as well.

Koburn posted:

Is there a recap of Half a King anywhere?

poo poo. I avoided Half a King precisely for its YA labeling. I've been loving dying for more Abercrombie so maybe I will read it.

Though I have to say two purposefully written YA novels is concerning. I hope Joe Abercrombie doesn't become the next Johnny Depp and only do things that are marketed at kids.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

ZombieLenin posted:

poo poo. I avoided Half a King precisely for its YA labeling. I've been loving dying for more Abercrombie so maybe I will read it.

Though I have to say two purposefully written YA novels is concerning. I hope Joe Abercrombie doesn't become the next Johnny Depp and only do things that are marketed at kids.
If you're in the states, Half a King and Half the World are marketed as adult Fantasy rather than YA Fantasy. It's still recognizably Abercrombie: while there's no swearing or awkward sex scenes the books are still incredibly violent. I hate to break it you but Abercrombie's writing a third YA book (Half a War is coming out in the summer). After that he's going back to The First Law universe, I think.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah's he gonna draft out (at least outline? I forget his words) the next trilogy afterward before he releases anything, so it will be awhile before any first law stuff comes out.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
"A while" by Abercrombie standards seems to be like 2 years instead of one.

I've said it before but the consistent pace at which he writes is astounding to me

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
I just finished Half a King and I'm working on Half the World right now and they're pretty good. You still have Abercrombie's prose, violence, and talk about erections and dongs and menstruation and the such. I suppose it's YA in the sense that our protagonists are teenagers so they're figuring out where they fit in the world etc. but it isn't like that wasn't Jezel and Lamb's themes either.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
"Deader than gently caress. Yeah Monza, kind of like EVERYONE WHO WENT TO THAT loving PARTY JESUS CHRIST :stonk:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

:q::fh:

I love reading these kinds of reactions.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I bit the bullet and bought Half A King. Way, way better than I feared and about 20x better than Patrick Rothfuss.

I'd recommend it to anyone who was worried about the YA genre label like I was.

That isn't to say I wouldn't have preferred a novel in the First Law universe.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 17, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ZombieLenin posted:

I bit the bullet and bought Half A King. Way, way better than I feared and about 20x better than Patrick Rothfuss.
Let's face it, that isn't that much of an achievement.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

anilEhilated posted:

That's a good loving point. Still, I'd say it's high quality fantasy literature--Half a King not Rothfuss--despite the YA label.

Edit

In fact, I don't think the King Slayer books are labeled YA, but they really should be.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

At the very least Yarvi is written like an actual character with flaws and is not a perfect teenaged virgin sex god.

I think Thorn and (to a lesser extent) Brand are stronger in the "richly defined character arc" sense than Yarvi is.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Alright the prose from Monza's perspective is very clearly indicating her and Benna were boning. :barf:

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
loving hell, Best Served Cold is good. My only complaint is that the group makeup is a little bit too formulaic from the trilogy: Hard as nails female, hoity Magician/scientist with lackey, Looking to Change his ways northman.

Friendly is a nice addition though!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm probably the only one here but I really didn't like Best Served Cold. The above was one of my complaints, another was that I just couldn't bring myself to empathise with Monza. And there wasn't anywhere near enough of the best characters, Morveer and Cosca. I mean, the plot is good. the action scenes are amazingly well done but that's about it. Hell, Shivers'...everything... feels really tacked on until you read the next book.
It's a good book, but Abercrombie's weakest, in my opinion. That's having never read the YA stuff, mind you.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Alright the prose from Monza's perspective is very clearly indicating her and Benna were boning. :barf:

I don't think they actually were, though I get the idea Benna would have totally been down for it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

They definitely were.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rhymenoserous posted:

I don't think they actually were, though I get the idea Benna would have totally been down for it.

They absolutely were. Don't you remember the mercenaries joking to Shivers when he visited Faithful?

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Yeah they definitely were. Joe Abercrombie being Joe Abercrombie, the incestuous mercenary captain with a bloody past is the good guy.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mars4523 posted:

Yeah they definitely were. Joe Abercrombie being Joe Abercrombie, the incestuous mercenary captain with a bloody past is the good guy.

Don't say "good guy." Say "point of view character." It's much more accurate for Abercrombie.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

anilEhilated posted:

I'm probably the only one here but I really didn't like Best Served Cold. The above was one of my complaints, another was that I just couldn't bring myself to empathise with Monza. And there wasn't anywhere near enough of the best characters, Morveer and Cosca. I mean, the plot is good. the action scenes are amazingly well done but that's about it. Hell, Shivers'...everything... feels really tacked on until you read the next book.
It's a good book, but Abercrombie's weakest, in my opinion. That's having never read the YA stuff, mind you.

Shivers was a weak point to me in this book. Reading it right after TFL he just seemed like Logen Lite. I liked all the other characters though.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
So the Half King universe: I'm getting the impression that the "Elves" might be yet another fantasy author's allusion the the magical people of the past, which are really contemporary humans.

I hope I'm wrong here though.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

That's exactly what they are. I'm pretty sure that the events of the book are happening somewhere in the Baltic. But they're never really a major element of the story.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

ZombieLenin posted:

So the Half King universe: I'm getting the impression that the "Elves" might be yet another fantasy author's allusion the the magical people of the past, which are really contemporary humans.

I hope I'm wrong here though.

I think they're technically near future humans, since the Elf metal and an artifact in the second book don't really match to any contemporary objects. Still, it's implied that the "shattering of the one god" was nuclear holocaust.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Grand Prize Winner posted:

That's exactly what they are. I'm pretty sure that the events of the book are happening somewhere in the Baltic. But they're never really a major element of the story.

If you look at the map it's pretty obvious it's the Baltic sea and Scandinavia. Though it seems like nuclear war/climate change/whatever changed geography a bit.

Elf ruins like Strokom and Lanangrad located where Stockholm and Leningrad/ St Petersburg are now. It's a post apocalyptic Viking age basically. With "Vikings" in and around the Baltic sea sailing down eastern European rivers to "Kiev" inhabited by steppe people and Slavs before reaching ERE and Constantinople

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
The relic in book 2 is a fancy wristwatch, right? The fact that the colors change all the time was throwing me off but I can't think of anything else you'd wear on your wrist that spins.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Mars4523 posted:

I think they're technically near future humans, since the Elf metal and an artifact in the second book don't really match to any contemporary objects. Still, it's implied that the "shattering of the one god" was nuclear holocaust.

Isn't the artifact just a watch?

fake edit: Yeah, same as what Timett thought.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Fader Movitz posted:

If you look at the map it's pretty obvious it's the Baltic sea and Scandinavia. Though it seems like nuclear war/climate change/whatever changed geography a bit.

Elf ruins like Strokom and Lanangrad located where Stockholm and Leningrad/ St Petersburg are now. It's a post apocalyptic Viking age basically. With "Vikings" in and around the Baltic sea sailing down eastern European rivers to "Kiev" inhabited by steppe people and Slavs before reaching ERE and Constantinople

Yeah, listening to the audio books so haven't seen the map yet.

My only critique is that it is a very well warn device, which I suppose Abercrombie does enjoy playing with, and usually does so well.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 19, 2015

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

dongsbot 9000 posted:

Isn't the artifact just a watch?

fake edit: Yeah, same as what Timett thought.
I might need to read again, but I thought it was a watch that's also a mood ring of sorts, and one that is actually pretty sensitive instead of just being a cheap nickknack. Also, our current materials science isn't good enough to make a watch and a battery that would last through the centuries.

I don't know that it's such a well worn device, because the only other case that comes to mind is the X of Thorns series, and that one has actual magic while the Shattered Seas remain grounded (and also with less rape).

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Timett posted:

The relic in book 2 is a fancy wristwatch, right? The fact that the colors change all the time was throwing me off but I can't think of anything else you'd wear on your wrist that spins.

IIRC, it is also said that she can't remove it once it is fastened, and it glowed brightly enough that you could see Gorm-gil-Grom's bones through his hand when he was grabbing her wrist. It might be a REALLY high-tech future wristwatch, but I'm iffy on it.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 19, 2015

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Mars4523 posted:

I might need to read again, but I thought it was a watch that's also a mood ring of sorts, and one that is actually pretty sensitive instead of just being a cheap nickknack. Also, our current materials science isn't good enough to make a watch and a battery that would last through the centuries.

I don't know that it's such a well worn device, because the only other case that comes to mind is the X of Thorns series, and that one has actual magic while the Shattered Seas remain grounded (and also with less rape).

I can think of lots of examples, starting with Terry Brooks. Scott Lynch is another contemporary "fantasy" author who uses it, and even Robert Jordan alludes to it--at least thematically.

I mean, that's just off the top of my head; however, I'm pretty sure I've encountered the "Fantasy World that is really our future" a dozen times in the 25 years I've been reading fantasy literature.

Edit

And this isn't even counting entire genres defined by this precept, like Post Apocalyptic Fantasy or Dying Earth fiction.

Double Edit

Matt Stover, who writes Star Wars novels has a book series that has an interesting take on the whole melding of future earth/fantasy. I really recommend his Kaine chronicle books. They're really loving good, and really loving smart.

Cannot say the same for his Star Wars novels; however he is one of the only Star Wars novelists I bother to read. In this case though, the man is really limited by the IP.

It makes me sad that his Star Wars novels are what he's known for.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 19, 2015

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
Obligatory warning about Caine: They're very Abercrombie and I definitely rank them pretty high up there, it gets pretty uh, weird in the latter books and I'm fairly certain that Stover is a lunatic. Of course, he balances it out with some of the best written combat ever, soooo.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Wait Scott Lynch books are set in a future earth? Where is that revealed?

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
On Caine: Heroe's Die is more or less what the blurb on the cover says. It is an awesome action movie in a rigid post zombie apocalypse distopian future / traditional fantasy in book form. It's just fun. Blade of Tyshalle gets a little weird, and a little preachy, but it still is a fun read. The last two get fairly strange, and Stover might be crazy, and it is somewhat pulpy, but like, really good pulp.

ZombieLenin posted:

even Robert Jordan alludes to it--at least thematically.

Jordan does more than allude to it. It never becomes relevant in any way, but our current reality is just another Age in the Wheel of Time.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 20, 2015

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

Blind Melon posted:

On Caine: Heroe's Die is more or less what the blurb on the cover says. It is an awesome action movie in a rigid post zombie apocalypse distopian future / traditional fantasy in book form. It's just fun. Blade of Tyshalle gets a little weird, and a little preachy, but it still is a fun read. The last two get fairly strange, and Stover might be crazy, and it is somewhat pulpy, but like, really good pulp.

Oh, definitely. The last two are the most nuts - though Caine Black Knife has Young Caine, which are some of my favorite chapters ever. Caine's Law is good, but also nuts, but also super enjoyable.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Blind Melon posted:

Jordan does more than allude to it. It never becomes relevant in any way, but our current reality is just another Age in the Wheel of Time.

Isn't the 1st Age our current time and the Age of Legends the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Having finished the First Law trilogy last year I'm onto Best Served Cold now. Not really sure I'm digging it - the plot is very by-the-numbers and the characters haven't gripped me the way they did in the First Law. Is this supposed to be the best book? Admittedly the First Law only grew on me after a while, when I got to know the characters and got a feel for the general shape of the plot, but BSC seems a little limp and pointless for the time being.

High point so far though is that scene where Morveer is trying to poison the banker, and going through the list of dozens of poisons that he has on his person but he can't actually get to the guy because he won't shake his hand or look away or give him anything to sign.