Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

calandryll posted:

I do have a question. During warmup and dicking around during pickup, I can hit my slapper loving perfectly. Game time comes around and it goes about 2 feet. Suggestions on overcoming performance anxiety?

I am convinced we have a set allowance of good shots per game, and they're wasted in the warm up. Best advice I can give is to not shoot during warmup and let the shot come naturally. Of course, resisting the urge to shoot is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
The only solution is to play more. Shooting under pressure is a lot harder; there's bodies to get around and you're usually moving laterally and poo poo like that.

PROTIP: Get used to shooting mid-stride rather than shooting while coasting. (It's hard.) If you're playing in a league with goalies who aren't super experienced, you'll really throw them off their gourd.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I think for me there is a big difference between drop in and actual game. Had a great wrister under pressure at pick up but game time I over think it. I've definitely improved since playing this season, first season in 15 years.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

PFlats posted:

The only solution is to play more. Shooting under pressure is a lot harder; there's bodies to get around and you're usually moving laterally and poo poo like that.

PROTIP: Get used to shooting mid-stride rather than shooting while coasting. (It's hard.) If you're playing in a league with goalies who aren't super experienced, you'll really throw them off their gourd.

I know y'all were talking the poo poo out of this 3-4 years ago or so, but I had just started playing. Is there some sort of youtube video that shows this? The people with sick snapshots in my leagues dominate because the puck is by the goalie before he even know's what's up. I've got a good wrister and slapper down, but really need to work on my snap.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
In ongoing boring new-skates-news: hmm, yep, can definitely confirm I'm losing a lil circulation in my left skate - Just putting them on around the house I can feel my toes going a lil pins and needle'ey. I need to re-cook this one. Which would make sense, I'm guessing, since the dude at the store cooked them both at the same time, and after I took the right one out and laced up the left had already started to cool a bit. :shrug:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's still a lacing issue and not a baking issue. See: skates made before 2000

You can bake a few more times but it's going to come down to loosening the laces and breaking them in more.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Duke Chin posted:

In ongoing boring new-skates-news: hmm, yep, can definitely confirm I'm losing a lil circulation in my left skate - Just putting them on around the house I can feel my toes going a lil pins and needle'ey. I need to re-cook this one. Which would make sense, I'm guessing, since the dude at the store cooked them both at the same time, and after I took the right one out and laced up the left had already started to cool a bit. :shrug:

I agree with lacing issue. I had a similar problem every now and then, same foot and all. I recently switched to a different lacing method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D671VgevDcg

Stopped having any issues. Took a bit to get used to but love this method.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

calandryll posted:

I agree with lacing issue. I had a similar problem every now and then, same foot and all. I recently switched to a different lacing method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D671VgevDcg

Yeah I laced them up for the last two skates then went back. Eh I'll give it another shot like this. Oh the joys of breaking boots in. :v:

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Duke Chin posted:

Yeah I laced them up for the last two skates then went back. Eh I'll give it another shot like this. Oh the joys of breaking boots in. :v:

What skates did you buy? Did you do 'the pencil test" before you bought them? Sounds more like the boot doesn't fit your foot shape, and there isn't much you can do for that.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

zinc68 posted:

What skates did you buy? Did you do 'the pencil test" before you bought them? Sounds more like the boot doesn't fit your foot shape, and there isn't much you can do for that.

:stare:

I didn't even know this was a thing.

Guess what I just failed.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Interesting about the pencil test. My skates fit great and I'm sure the fit will pass. I've always had trouble keeping them laced decently. They'll be the first things I put on and then tie loosely while getting the rest of my equipment on before tying. Once I get on the ice and skate, I usually have to hop off and get them fixed.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Yeah maybe I'll give the no-sock thing a whirl tonight seeing as how I A: can't find the receipt, B: just tossed the box out into recycling yesterday and C: according to this here pencil test my foot is too tall inside the boot. Whoops.

Also, fess up, which one of you is this: :v:

JungleMan
Apr 6, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I know y'all were talking the poo poo out of this 3-4 years ago or so, but I had just started playing. Is there some sort of youtube video that shows this? The people with sick snapshots in my leagues dominate because the puck is by the goalie before he even know's what's up. I've got a good wrister and slapper down, but really need to work on my snap.

I make my son watch this video every year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLr63oWYxWk

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

JungleMan posted:

I make my son watch this video every year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLr63oWYxWk

Thats the exact video I think of when everyone mentions shooting in stride.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

He looks super goofy in that video.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Good video, but he looks like he's leaping forward uncomfortably while shooting.

I really need to work on the drag shot. That thing is deadly, but I can't get the mechanics of 2 different movements for 1 shot down :(

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Duke Chin posted:

:stare:

I didn't even know this was a thing.

Guess what I just failed.

Yeah, it's why Bauer makes three lines of skate that all for completely differently. When I was getting ready to hit the ice and buying my gear last April, I went into a local shop before ordering online and got lucky to get a rep who took one look at my feet and told me I'd fit the Supremes. After trying on all the lines, he ended up being 100% correct.

calandryll posted:

Ugh, I absolutely hate this lacing method. For me, it doesn't feel any different one tightened, and is such a pain in the rear end to work with and tighten in the first place.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I don't do the last bit with the loop. I just do the over part of it. I also drop the first eyelet which oddly enough has really helped out for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A sort of similar video for shooting in stride that might be helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w74xY0xiFxw

I still can't do it, but I'm a scrub.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

A sort of similar video for shooting in stride that might be helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w74xY0xiFxw

I still can't do it, but I'm a scrub.

Yeah that one explains it a bit better.

That link led me here, which I've been wanting to do for a while now:
http://youtu.be/61g72eK5XVM

e: VVV :argh: fixed

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 18, 2015

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

That link definitely led you there (it's the same, fix your link :ssh:)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What's worse than having the 1050 late game?

Having this happen 3 shifts in

Edit: this happened on a one timer. Lemme tell you about transferring weight to the forward foot without a secure holder. It sucks.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 19, 2015

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

Edit: this happened on a one timer. Lemme tell you about transferring weight to the forward foot without a secure holder. It sucks.

You got Total Owned.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
:catstare: Whoa. [/NewSkateBitching]

e:

Habibi posted:

Yeah, it's why Bauer makes three lines of skate that all for completely differently. When I was getting ready to hit the ice and buying my gear last April, I went into a local shop before ordering online and got lucky to get a rep who took one look at my feet and told me I'd fit the Supremes. After trying on all the lines, he ended up being 100% correct.

Had a better night with them tonight but overall was just skating lazy/regressing a little. They're definitely not "deep" enough (Bauer vapor X60's btw) but I got the laces tightened and loosened to a MUCH more tolerable fashion now that I have a better idea where the trouble spots are. Also yoinked the green super feet out of there and went back to the anemic stock inserts. better, warmer, now just skate more and go do the scrubbo hockey camp in April. :toot:

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 19, 2015

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Another arctic fuckblast coming in to Southern Ontario and then it's going to warm up just enough to dump another 10cm of snow on us. I was really starting to come around on winter this year but these conditions are not conducive to anything fun.

:canada: :fuckoff:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

Haha, wow.

I just noticed one of my rivets popped off after last game. I think I'll get that looked at immediately...

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

sellouts posted:

That's the stuff of nightmares right there.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

Pinky Artichoke posted:

That's the stuff of nightmares right there.

I think the worst are blades breaking where you don't notice right away. The ice will eventually catch the crack or break and you will fall awkwardly to the ice. It can be very dangerous.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man they play rough over in Lithuania.

http://www.holdoutsports.com/2013/04/lithuanian-teen-hockey-player-throws.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3_mVJ8F4GE

Ref took it oddly well too.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

xzzy posted:

Ref took it oddly well too.

Good on that opposition player for seeing it happen and go over to give the guy some words, and surprisingly good on the ref for going in to break it up.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

dyn posted:

I think the worst are blades breaking where you don't notice right away. The ice will eventually catch the crack or break and you will fall awkwardly to the ice. It can be very dangerous.

Yeah, thankfully I knew it was going bad. I felt my boot flexing at the ball of my foot on an earlier shift. which doesn't ever happen. I thought maybe the carbon fiber might have broken away from the bottom of the boot. I just wasn't sure what it was at the time, and when i pulled on it on the bench it was fine.

Then I leaned into a one timer, and it came off my foot. I was trying to get to my feet and kept sliding and falling. Guys were calling for the ref to stop the play so for a split second I thought I had like broken my ankle or otherwise hurt myself and just couldn't feel it yet (this happened when i broke my arm). Then I saw my holder and I had to be dragged to the bench.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

sellouts posted:

Yeah, thankfully I knew it was going bad. I felt my boot flexing at the ball of my foot on an earlier shift. which doesn't ever happen. I thought maybe the carbon fiber might have broken away from the bottom of the boot. I just wasn't sure what it was at the time, and when i pulled on it on the bench it was fine.

Then I leaned into a one timer, and it came off my foot. I was trying to get to my feet and kept sliding and falling. Guys were calling for the ref to stop the play so for a split second I thought I had like broken my ankle or otherwise hurt myself and just couldn't feel it yet (this happened when i broke my arm). Then I saw my holder and I had to be dragged to the bench.

New skates or have Jake's rivet it?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The thought of getting new skates devastates me. Going to Jakes tonight to have him rip out every rivet on both skates and start fresh

sellouts fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 19, 2015

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!
What do you guys do with your helmet chin straps with regards to extra length?

I ordered a replacement strap, as I cut the one that came with my helmet years ago far too short (and then I got fat) and it doesn't fit anymore. Now I've got like 8" extra and wondering how much to leave on the end.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
just cut it at an angle and melt the edge a bit with a lighter

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Remove it and put a cage on. Just prepare for a lifetime of concussions like Eric Lindross.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I broke my MLX skate's ankle support. They don't even make those parts anymore. Now I have to switch to my backup skates, Reebok 11ks :(.

I wish I could get Mako's for a reasonable price.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Benson Cunningham posted:

I broke my MLX skate's ankle support. They don't even make those parts anymore. Now I have to switch to my backup skates, Reebok 11ks :(.

I wish I could get Mako's for a reasonable price.

Mako 1's are on sale at Hockey Monkey last I checked.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Verman posted:

Remove it and put a cage on. Just prepare for a lifetime of concussions like Eric Lindross.

Do cage people play without chinstraps or something? We're still required to have one...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I've seen a few of the older guys that do it, but for the most part it's really rare from the groups I play with.