Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
YNAB 4 may exist forever, but I rely heavily on the mobile app. I'm afraid it's going to be updated for YNAB 5 and break the the sync functionality with YNAB 4. Never updating the mobile app is not a good answer either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

porksmash posted:

YNAB 4 may exist forever, but I rely heavily on the mobile app. I'm afraid it's going to be updated for YNAB 5 and break the the sync functionality with YNAB 4. Never updating the mobile app is not a good answer either.

If this were the case then a 3rd party app for YNAB 4 compatibility could be made. YNAB data is just (a hell of a lot of) nested JSON at the moment. See Divvy for Windows Phone for proof of concept. Divvy sucks, but I guarantee a team could get together and do it right for Android and iPhone if necessary.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Feature creep :(

...and given the tone of the YNAB blog lately ('for gently caress's sake, don't steal from your groceries to pay off your gigantic home and third motorcycle and claim you're getting ahead'), isn't moving to a subscription-based scheme kind of uh?

[e] VV my point is, given the kind of habits you'd expect of a person who could benefit from the YNAB method, having a payment model that implies you'd lose access/progress data if you missed or were unable to make a payment seems at best foolish and at worst, well, predatory.

spincube fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 6, 2015

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

spincube posted:

Feature creep :(

...and given the tone of the YNAB blog lately ('for gently caress's sake, don't steal from your groceries to pay off your gigantic home and third motorcycle and claim you're getting ahead'), isn't moving to a subscription-based scheme kind of uh?

YNAB looks like an insanely good place to work. Their latest blog post says they have 3 weeks minimum paid vacation per year (on top of a two week paid Christmas break), strict 40 hour work weeks, annual get-togethers in places like Costa Rica, 100% work from home if you don't live in their headquarters city, a 401(k) that YNAB puts 3% in to whether you contribute or not...

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I've been using YNAB for a month, and I think it's going "OK". My wife and I were talking about it on some lengthy car trips this weekend and we need to make adjustments.

We started on step 4, we had a healthy amount sitting in checking so we already had our "live on last month's income" buffer. When I started I YNAB I then just cut up the checking + savings amounts into what I thought should go where (what balance each category should have). Two of my more expensive categories (Daycare, mortgage) I put a big enough balance in there that we were already had an extra month's payments in there.

Now I think I'm going to more or less zero out my balance in each of those categories each month. My rationale is we will just have a larger "emergency savings" category and daycare/mortgage don't really change that much like medical expenses or electricity. Our jobs are stable, so I don't really see a benefit of setting aside $XXXX specifically for the mortgage other than our emergency fund.

My wife is just now back to work (maternity leave) so it next month will probably be back to normal for us with getting regular, full paychecks. It's hard to get a good idea of what we can be saving since we've been living on mostly my check for a while. I've been over budgeted for this month because my wife only got paid for ~4 days last month, so I haven't had the income coming in we usually will. By eating into my balance I set aside for mortgage/daycare, I have money to allocate elsewhere now.

tl;dr: Should I worry about carrying a balance in my fixed monthly expense categories when we already have money set for "emergency savings"?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

I've been using YNAB for a month, and I think it's going "OK". My wife and I were talking about it on some lengthy car trips this weekend and we need to make adjustments.

We started on step 4, we had a healthy amount sitting in checking so we already had our "live on last month's income" buffer. When I started I YNAB I then just cut up the checking + savings amounts into what I thought should go where (what balance each category should have). Two of my more expensive categories (Daycare, mortgage) I put a big enough balance in there that we were already had an extra month's payments in there.

Now I think I'm going to more or less zero out my balance in each of those categories each month. My rationale is we will just have a larger "emergency savings" category and daycare/mortgage don't really change that much like medical expenses or electricity. Our jobs are stable, so I don't really see a benefit of setting aside $XXXX specifically for the mortgage other than our emergency fund.

My wife is just now back to work (maternity leave) so it next month will probably be back to normal for us with getting regular, full paychecks. It's hard to get a good idea of what we can be saving since we've been living on mostly my check for a while. I've been over budgeted for this month because my wife only got paid for ~4 days last month, so I haven't had the income coming in we usually will. By eating into my balance I set aside for mortgage/daycare, I have money to allocate elsewhere now.

tl;dr: Should I worry about carrying a balance in my fixed monthly expense categories when we already have money set for "emergency savings"?

I mean don't remove the buffer (always keep that around for fixed expenses). So all your Feb. income should still be able to go towards March and you should still be budgeting March's fixed expenses from that. But beyond that sure. I always have 0 in my fixed expense categories at the end of the month.

Monthly but variable required spending like electricity and groceries has extra balance because they can fluctuate a lot from month to month. They tend to be small buffers though. For bursty things like unexpected medical costs we keep bigger buffers. We have big buffers for medical and pet costs (we have lots of pets and vet visits are expensive).

Really the biggest parts that matter for carrying over a balance are rainy day funds and recurring expenses that only happen annually or every six months or whatever (so you can make sure you are putting enough aside monthly for those).

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Personally I just keep a single month budgeted for regular fixed expenses, and the excess just goes into "emergency fund". I also have other buffers for variable categories like medical, fuel, car repair, etc. that build up over time. But rent? No reason to build it up specifically in that category. Know what amount you need for your emergency fund, and shoot for that number.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
OK, glad my thinking makes sense then. I also like the idea of a "buffer" category to soak up minor overages. Obviously after we do this a while the need for that should be diminished since we'll have built a balance on discretionary type accounts, but until then it seems like it will be an ok solution as opposed to constantly pulling from "emergency savings"

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

OK, glad my thinking makes sense then. I also like the idea of a "buffer" category to soak up minor overages. Obviously after we do this a while the need for that should be diminished since we'll have built a balance on discretionary type accounts, but until then it seems like it will be an ok solution as opposed to constantly pulling from "emergency savings"

IMO you should get to a point where "emergency savings" can actually be hidden as a category, so that you can only see it if you truly truly need to hit it.

One thing that has helped for the first year for us so far is having a "crap we've forgotten about the first year" category that we throw things in for new categories we have yet to remember.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Chin Strap posted:

IMO you should get to a point where "emergency savings" can actually be hidden as a category, so that you can only see it if you truly truly need to hit it.

One thing that has helped for the first year for us so far is having a "crap we've forgotten about the first year" category that we throw things in for new categories we have yet to remember.

I agree. We're pretty good typically at not touching our savings, it's just been different the last 3 months while my wife has been off. We might be overthinking things but we've added new categories like:

- "Fun with friends" - Bachelor party coming up, wife is going on a wine weekend with her friends
- "Entertaining" - Beer or pizza or grilling out etc that we should have to take a hit to the grocery budget or something
- "Large purchase" - We'd like to buy a recliner sometime, last month I bought a new blender, etc

I think I need to be more granular because I don't care if we spend the money for something, so long as we've planned for it. I just hate robbing our grocery budget if I decide to have some friends over for grilling and beer, for instance.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

dreesemonkey posted:

I agree. We're pretty good typically at not touching our savings, it's just been different the last 3 months while my wife has been off. We might be overthinking things but we've added new categories like:

- "Fun with friends" - Bachelor party coming up, wife is going on a wine weekend with her friends
- "Entertaining" - Beer or pizza or grilling out etc that we should have to take a hit to the grocery budget or something
- "Large purchase" - We'd like to buy a recliner sometime, last month I bought a new blender, etc

I think I need to be more granular because I don't care if we spend the money for something, so long as we've planned for it. I just hate robbing our grocery budget if I decide to have some friends over for grilling and beer, for instance.

I just have a generic other category for random one off stuff that doesn't really fit anywhere else.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I'm having trouble figuring out how to properly set this up when it comes to split bills. My girlfriend and I split all the house bills evenly. So for instance, our total rent is $1,500 and we each pay $750. When rent is due, I write a check for $1,500, and she writes me a check for $750. So in my budget, should I be budgetting $1,500 for rent, and then when I get her check, allocate that as income? Or should I budget it at $750?

This gets further complicated as I don't pay all the bills. She pays electric and water for example. So I have my budget of half of that, but I don't give her money for it, it comes out of the rent check she gives me. So if electric and water combined was $200, so my half is $100, at the end of the month she writes me a check for $650 ($750 rent minus the $100 I owe for utilities). This is where I start really getting confused with how to keep it all in order within YNAB. If I paid all the bills myself it would be easy, and I would just put the entire amounts due in my budget and treat her checks to me as income, but since it's going both ways, I get confused.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
budget 750 in rent, write check for 1500, split her check as +750 income in the rent category and -x output in the other categories it goes towards.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
I have the same situation and we just both write checks for (in your example) $750 and send it to our landlord. They always cash our checks and never requested us not doing that, and we are always credited correctly on the next rent notice. Don't know if your landlord would be willing to do the same. For the rest of the bills, we just divide it up more or less evenly.

As for the rest of you bills, I like the idea of budgeting the full amount, but then using her check as income and putting it back into your utility category (and let it roll over for next month or budget it how you need to).

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 13, 2015

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Yeah there's no way I'm moving to a subscription based model, no matter what fancy whizbang features they might put in YNAB 5.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SaltLick posted:

drat I should have linked the referral and given 20% off

By far the best undies ever so thanks for that.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

spwrozek posted:

By far the best undies ever so thanks for that.

Another satisfied customer!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah there's no way I'm moving to a subscription based model, no matter what fancy whizbang features they might put in YNAB 5.

Cannot imagine what other awesome features are left. Perhaps changing budget values from the app, but that's it. Definitely not doing subscription here.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

GreatGreen posted:

The best feature they could (and are planning on) adding would be to make it not slow as hell. Not sure that's worth subscribing for, but it is an excellent feature.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Cannot imagine what other awesome features are left. Perhaps changing budget values from the app, but that's it. Definitely not doing subscription here.

Some of us need multiple currencies, it's a big pain in the arse the way it is now

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Id like to see cross platform, and not so damned slow. But YNAB4 is pretty drat good overall.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

SaltLick posted:

Another satisfied customer!

Lol wheres the referral link.

YNAB - Budget and Underwear Subscription Management Tool

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I'd like some kind of import function to the reconciling where I can put in a csv from the bank

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Lol wheres the referral link.

YNAB - Budget and Underwear Subscription Management Tool

http://fbuy.me/-r-M

20% off

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 22, 2015

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Let's say I buy a sweater and pay with Visa. Do I put that amount in my clothes budget for this month? Or do I do that next month when my visa expenses actually get taken out of my account?

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 18, 2015

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
You bought it this month, it goes in the budget for this month.

Check the video on how credit cards work in YNAB.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Meh, I don't have outstanding credit card debt. And I pay off my credit card debt in full each month. So a lot of that video doesn't apply to me.
I think it's easier for me if I just change the date on my expenses. Say I buy my sweater today, pay with visa. I pay off all my visa card debt on the 5th of each month. So I just put that sweater on the 5th of march. Simple right? But that probably is against the nature of YNAB?

EDIT: Or I should open a credit card account and put the expenses there and then just transfer each month...

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

beedeebee posted:

EDIT: Or I should open a credit card account and put the expenses there and then just transfer each month...

This.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

beedeebee posted:

This. You should have a credit card account (Because you have a credit card!) on budget and the purchases go there. When you pay off the credit card, it's a transfer (not budgeted since you already did that with the purchases).

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Gothmog1065 posted:

This. You should have a credit card account (Because you have a credit card!) on budget and the purchases go there. When you pay off the credit card, it's a transfer (not budgeted since you already did that with the purchases).

This is what tripped me up with credit cards at first on YNAB. You budget purchases via the categories like normal and put the transaction under your credit card. You'll show a negative balance on the card but once it comes time to pay off you just do a transfer of whatever amount and it all zeroes out.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Gothmog1065 posted:

SaltLick posted:

This is what tripped me up with credit cards at first on YNAB. You budget purchases via the categories like normal and put the transaction under your credit card. You'll show a negative balance on the card but once it comes time to pay off you just do a transfer of whatever amount and it all zeroes out.

Yeah, I just created one and everything makes sense now. Thanks!

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
By now YNAB is my preferred budgetting app, but one thing I miss from another one I tried out called Wally was the option of seeing how much money you have available on a daily average. If I have 80 dollars in my "eating out" category it's a bit easy for me to go overboard in the beginning of the month, so having an option of viewing it is 20 dollars per week instead would be great.

I know YNAB doesn't have this functionality, but do you guys have any suggestions on how to make a note of this in it or otherwise just keeping track of your categories this way :) ?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Divide your budgeted amount or leftovers by however many weeks are left in the month. You could then add that as a comment

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Credit cards still somewhat confuse me, especially because my statements run from around the 20th of each month to the next. Stuff on them has never balanced right and I never can find where it falls off. Is it worth it to see if I can change the statement dates to end on the 1st of every month or something, or is another way recommended? My non-credit accounts balances just fine, of course. Yeah I've watched the video, and it still confuses me.

KariOhki fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 21, 2015

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

KariOhki posted:

Credit cards still somewhat confuse me, especially because my statements run from around the 20th of each month to the next. Stuff on them has never balanced right and I never can find where it falls off. Is it worth it to see if I can change the statement dates to end on the 1st of every month or something, or is another way recommended? My non-credit accounts balances just fine, of course. Yeah I've watched the video, and it still confuses me.

Does it not balance because of having to pay interest on the card?

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
What's giving you trouble, exactly?

The date on your statement shouldn't matter. Can you log into your bank's website and view your transactions to date? That will give me a running balance, which is how much I owe at the moment, which makes it easy to reconcile with my own records. Pending charges don't show on the list, but they only affect available credit, not amount owed, so it's easy enough.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You are overthinking this. Once or twice a month just pay off enough to make the balance owed correct.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

KariOhki posted:

If you aren't paying off the full balance, look for the interest line on your statement. None of my CC's will show the interest on the website, you actually have to pull the statement and find the interest (and any fees (i really need to stop paying late :eng99:)), and make sure you're adding that in too.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

SimpleCoax posted:

Does it not balance because of having to pay interest on the card?

I pay off in full every month, so there's never interest.

I played with the numbers on one card since it just flipped over on its balance. I think I know how to make everything add up, taking out or editing the original pre-YNAB debt. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
got my referral pair of meundies. Trip report: they are good

In other news the gas company double billed me and I paid the wrong bill so now my budget is all messed up and it's sad