Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if i had to wag a finger at that situation its the fact that the irs has perfect knowledge of all my stock sales but absolutely no knowledge of my stock purchases? come on guys this is unnecessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

they should just do that thing where they send you a notice where it's like "hey, you owe us or we owe you, is this number ok? if not please do this paperwork to show otherwise" like many other countries seem to

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

if i had to wag a finger at that situation its the fact that the irs has perfect knowledge of all my stock sales but absolutely no knowledge of my stock purchases? come on guys this is unnecessary

This changed with 2013 tax filings. Basis is now reported.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Flat Daddy posted:

rule 36 make ur yearly trip to switzerland

Laundr, the convenient app

The Swiss are other government's bitches now, they roll over like a dog to Britain and especially the IRS, I think the Caymans and Macau are where it's at these days?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Citizen Tayne posted:

haha, could you imagine making under $48K? crazy!

quote:

Estimated median household income in 2012: $39,884 (it was $28,588 in 2000)
Pittsburgh: $39,884
PA: $51,230

lol no

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

A COMPUTER GUY posted:

i once submitted a payment for a pretty substantial amount but marked it for the wrong tax year

the next year i got a letter from the irs saying "hey you owe $x,xxx". freaked out, looked through my records, found that i made the payment, called them up and they went "oh ok" and moved the payment to the correct tax year

the moral of the story is that the irs really isn't trying to gently caress you over and if you act in good faith they'll help you out

the initial letters are scary but when it becomes clear you aren't actively trying to dodge taxes they are super friendly about working with you. the IRS only cares about you paying exactly what you are obligated to pay, nothing more and nothing less. I know a couple people who miscalculated and got a letter from the IRS saying that they messed up and actually should have gotten a larger refund because of the making work pay credit.

compare this to just about every private sector company which will gladly sit on accidental overpayments until you hound them about returning them.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jonny 290 posted:

I traded stocks right before the bubble crash and forgot to declare my purchases so next year the IRS thought that i had sold $97,000 of stock and i got a bill for ~27k

just had to do the cost basis (that was a fun evening or two of paperwork) and it was all sorted. i think total damage was like $125

i had a similar experience after i failed to fill out some form for exercising stock options. once i got the bank to send the form to the helpful irs people, they sent me back the money i had sent them, plus extra, because i had overpaid somewhere :allears:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

UK taxes for non-1%'ers basically boil down to four brackets and most ppl don't even file a return

but local taxes are basically a flat tax and sales tax is 17.5% rofl

e: basically it's simple in the sense that "poors are lazy scum" is simple, it's still regressive as gently caress

e2: ok ok local tax isn't really a flat tax, it's determined by roughly how fancy the house you live in is. they did try making it a completely flat tax a little bit before my time but as i recall there was a bit of a to-do about it and it made some people a bit cross

government spending (especially in the uk) is very highly progressive, it doesn't matter so much that some elements of the tax system are regressive

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Share Bear posted:

they should just do that thing where they send you a notice where it's like "hey, you owe us or we owe you, is this number ok? if not please do this paperwork to show otherwise" like many other countries seem to

We can't, because TurboTax and Grover Norquist said so. I believe you can opt in to this for your California state taxes though.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Flat Daddy posted:

rule 36 make ur yearly trip to switzerland

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
switzerland doesn't have banking secrecy for regular 1%ers anymore

unless you're a billionaire there are no tax dodges left

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Share Bear posted:

Solkanar512 posted:

We can't, because TurboTax and Grover Norquist said so. I believe you can opt in to this for your California state taxes though.

it's amazing that there's no political will to do this

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

switzerland doesn't have banking secrecy for regular 1%ers anymore

unless you're a billionaire there are no tax dodges left

2015 year of bitcoin

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i sold a domain/twitter to a dude for 10,000. i reported it with schedule d using standard capital gains rules. basis was, like, 50 bucks. federal taxes came to ~%15, ca took another %5. i'm okay with that considering it was basically money from nowhere. i scheduled the payments to occur on friday the 13th. now i'm using the remainder to pay off my student loans.

the tech bubble is a weird place

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

duTrieux. posted:

there's at least 12 million a year in political will to do it, because that's how much intuit spends lobbying against it

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

duTrieux. posted:

there isn't political will to kill the loving penny because coinstar lobbies hard to keep it, tax returns don't stand a chance.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

there isn't political will to kill the loving penny because coinstar lobbies hard to keep it, tax returns don't stand a chance.

also because people who are bad at math freak out about the government stealing 2% of their purchases

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

qirex posted:

also because people who are bad at math freak out about the government stealing 2% of their purchases

first 2%, next week FULL COMMUNISM

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

@yjoyding
Male friend who interviewed at Uber asked about gender diversity & got the answer "Our recruiters are so hot".
Followed by "There are a couple female engineers, but that makes sense because they don't do much hardcore backend work or anything"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

@yjoyding
Male friend who interviewed at Uber asked about gender diversity & got the answer "Our recruiters are so hot".
Followed by "There are a couple female engineers, but that makes sense because they don't do much hardcore backend work or anything"

name and shame, you cowards

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

let me trust the government in the one adversarial relationship people have with the government barring committing a crime. taxes are black and white and there is certainly not a massive body of common law subject to interpretation.

the government already does your taxes, your employer already reports to the irs how much you got paid and if the irs thinks you owe more than you paid for they'll sure as poo poo come after you for it. they just make you also do them separately on your own for no reason. unless you've go super complex income or a lot of fancy deductions there really shouldn't be any need to do the paperwork, the government already knows all the numbers involved in a five-digit or six-and-a-half digit income

duTrieux. posted:

the tax prep industry collectively spends maybe $50 million a year lobbying against it, not including money spent by their respective pacs and superpacs. how much have you spent lobbying for it? when a issue isn't significant enough to have any one-issue voters behind it, the us political system handles things very simply

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

my first interaction with the IRS was them sending me a letter saying I owed them $75K because they believed I wasn't really more closely tied to Canada for that year. I think my accountant just pointed out that it was dumb to choose Canadian taxes over American ones, and they were happy. Took a couple years off my wife's life, though.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

my first interaction with the IRS was them sending me a letter saying I owed them $75K because they believed I wasn't really more closely tied to Canada for that year. I think my accountant just pointed out that it was dumb to choose Canadian taxes over American ones, and they were happy. Took a couple years off my wife's life, though.

being a u.s. expat is a terrible, terrible tax situation
renouncing your citizenship for tax reasons can make it impossible to re-enter the u.s.

you can't win

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

oh, I'm not a US citizen, I was just a resident for part of that year. :canada:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
getting rid of the penny is literally the only positive thing our current government has done.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

once i got a letter from california because they t hought i was a lawyer running my own business and that i had to register and pay back-taxes on profit and i was all, no, i was a temporary paralegal??

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

reminder that business town owns

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
what the gently caress does internal startups even mean

i hate so many words now

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
as opposed to an external startup, hth

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

qirex posted:

reminder that business town owns

:argh:
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wulfolme posted:

i hate so many words now
it like revolution against boss only for the sake of boss

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Wulfolme posted:

i hate so many words now

when you work for a big boring company some vp reads a fast company article on the can and talks their boss into giving a couple mil in budget for a "bold ideas" team unencumbered by traditional bureaucracy, typically they get about 40% into designing an actual product when the plug is pulled or it's folded into the typical development hell of the larger org and comes out the same as a normal project but with way more churn and expense

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

some random tech company could be in for a surprise when they find out what venue they booked for SXSW in Austin.

a piñata store in East Austin was demoed with all of its merchandise in place, and without following proper eviction procedures and notices. that's because the new owners of the property as of October probably didn't want to wait until the lease was up in 2017. said new owner used to run a Wikipedia editing PR company (which was banned from Wikipedia editing due to using sock puppets) and was quoted as saying the following about the demolition:

quote:

“Say you have a house that was infested by roaches,” French described it. “You have to clean that up.”

and today it comes out that they had already rented it for a SXSW interactive event.

given how touchy gentrification issues are on the east side and how big of a landmark that piñata store was I'd be surprised if there weren't protesters there to make the event a shitshow while calling police over every minor infraction they see.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Wulfolme posted:

i hate so many words now

agile agent of dynamic corporate change

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shifty Pony posted:

I'd be surprised if there weren't protesters

I would. SXSW is 100% irrelevant and nobody gives a poo poo about anything in Texas enough to protest.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

at some point someone will do a literal circle jerk as sxsw and then it will be complete

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
technological michael buble

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Jonny 290 posted:

SXSW is 100% irrelevant

lol if only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jonny 290 posted:

I would. SXSW is 100% irrelevant and nobody gives a poo poo about anything in Texas enough to protest.

local protesters I mean.

there is one group in particular that is hugely anti gentrification and led by an insane person.

• Locked thread