Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Dr. Dos posted:

Is there any megawad that's nothing but Dead Simple style maps? Because those maps are the best maps.

If you're looking for small, action-filled maps, Going Down is pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Nition posted:

There's a super early playable build of Strafe (that Kickstarter procedural FPS) available to everyone now: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/strafegame/strafe/posts/1136891

I haven't actually tried it myself yet.

It honestly plays a hell of a lot better than I've seen through streamers or their playthrough. Maybe they should have given it to people who are good at shooters first. Enemies bleeding hurtfloor is still dumb as hell, but it seems to barely hurt unless you actually stand in it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Ok, Ill try just using a newer DOS Box for now, thanks.

Just reporting back to say that this works. I dunno what's so different between 0.73 and 0.74, but it does make a difference.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Just reporting back to say that this works. I dunno what's so different between 0.73 and 0.74, but it does make a difference.

Well they made a ton of changes from 0.73, including in the video, cpu and audio code: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox/files/dosbox/0.74/site.txt/view

There were a lot of patches meant for other games that probably also affected Dark Forces. You also have to remember, DOSBox 0.73 was released in May 2009, while 0.74 was released in August 2014 - that's 5 years of work!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I didn't realize it was a five year gap. If I was a dev and there was a five year gap with complete rewrites of most of the code, at the very least I'd jump the version number to .8 or something.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Elliotw2 posted:

It honestly plays a hell of a lot better than I've seen through streamers or their playthrough. Maybe they should have given it to people who are good at shooters first. Enemies bleeding hurtfloor is still dumb as hell, but it seems to barely hurt unless you actually stand in it.

I was a little iffy on the acid blood concept until I tried that pre-alpha build - It's damaging enough that you keep it mind and try to avoid painting the floor orange, but not enough to totally screw you over if you do that anyways. I think STRAFE will be pretty fun if they make that goal!

Also the first time I played it I spawned somewhere out in space and just wandered around looking at the level from the outside, which is something I used to do a lot as a kid with noclip.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dr. Dos posted:

Is there any megawad that's nothing but Dead Simple style maps? Because those maps are the best maps.

Dead Simple is basically just a small slaughter map. I'm sure there must be dozens out there. I don't know if any off hand, though.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I never noticed any changes after upgrading and the drat thing crashes whenever I try to open the key map tool or use any upscaling filters. I don't get it :shrug:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 16, 2015

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

double post

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I didn't realize it was a five year gap. If I was a dev and there was a five year gap with complete rewrites of most of the code, at the very least I'd jump the version number to .8 or something.

Actually I misread some of the updates, 0.74 seems to have been last touched in late 2011. Still, it's over a year's worth of changes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Jesus gently caress my arms are tired and hurting but I just finished Go 2 It. I'm going to be so glad to be done with loving Plutonia. Taking on 3 cyberdemons at once is a hell of a trip.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Go 2 It owns.

I don't know if it's accurate, but I've sometimes heard that it was responsible for kicking off the slaughtermap genre.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Geight posted:

I guess it's just a really hard capstone fight to an otherwise reasonably tough map, then. Not sure if the best strategy is to save cells or bullets, because I don't know if Valiant's super chaingun outpaces the damage output of the plasmagun. I'd go with rockets but as you noted, you're just as likely to splatter yourself than the Cyberdemon inside that pit.

it is a pretty rough fight that depends on your ability to dodge rockets in a tight space. the fact that its a cyberdemon will probably catch any player off guard the first time; the true difficulty is working the pit, which will probably turn a lot of people off. i might have gotten greased but i knew what was coming from reading the thread and while i got hit with splash a few times i took him down with the SSG on the first try. the combat shotgun seems like the ideal weapon since it stuns him pretty consistently and doesnt obscure what hes doing, giving you time to concentrate and dodge in between SSG blasts. also, the pit with the blue armor and soul sphere is stocked with shells. still, my sympathy is with the player here, because its super claustrophobic and if you cant hack it in such close space the only thing you can do is... practice, really, and given the fact that the rest of the level is pretty open if unforgiving with all the damage floors and flying enemies, it will come as quite a shock.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Arivia posted:

Jesus gently caress my arms are tired and hurting but I just finished Go 2 It. I'm going to be so glad to be done with loving Plutonia. Taking on 3 cyberdemons at once is a hell of a trip.

Cool. Now play Go 4 It :getin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsUDBDwLOrY

More Dark Forces/DOSbox complaints: This is a gigantic pain. No convenient way to mouselook or remap keys is really making this difficult. Does it crash for anyone else who hits Ctrl+F1? :psyduck:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Looking for another mod or something, but this one's a bit... odder than my normal. I guess the best descriptor would be "Heavy Metal?" The movie/magazine, that is. I guess, something that goes from sci-fi to fantasy and mixes both at times? Something with new weapons/enemies would be cool too, but certainly not required.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(

Mak0rz posted:

More Dark Forces/DOSbox complaints: This is a gigantic pain. No convenient way to mouselook or remap keys is really making this difficult. Does it crash for anyone else who hits Ctrl+F1? :psyduck:

When I played it a couple years back I used glovePIE to translate mouse movement into key presses for looking up and down, since it does have key binds for that. It was actually surprisingly playable. I got tipped off to it from some steam forum post. Other bad keybinds can be translated too.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

catlord posted:

Looking for another mod or something, but this one's a bit... odder than my normal. I guess the best descriptor would be "Heavy Metal?" The movie/magazine, that is. I guess, something that goes from sci-fi to fantasy and mixes both at times? Something with new weapons/enemies would be cool too, but certainly not required.

Not a doom mood or anything, but... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Metal_FAKK2

Aphal posted:

When I played it a couple years back I used glovePIE to translate mouse movement into key presses for looking up and down, since it does have key binds for that. It was actually surprisingly playable. I got tipped off to it from some steam forum post. Other bad keybinds can be translated too.

Alright I'll check that out, thanks. I saw the steam post about it but ignored it because it seems a lot of hoops to jump through, but I don't really have much of a choice it seems.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Kaiser put up a blog for Powerslave EX, not much there at the moment: https://powerslaveex.wordpress.com/media/

Also worth mentioning: someone asked about Turok EX and he said "Its currently on hold, but expect to hear more about it later this year." Hmm... I wonder if there's really anything to be gained from recreating Turok on PC as opposed to just tidying up the existing PC port.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝

catlord posted:

zanzan might scratch that weird sci-fi itch

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Hmm... I wonder if there's really anything to be gained from recreating Turok on PC as opposed to just tidying up the existing PC port.

There isn't, which is why TurokEX is exactly the latter.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mak0rz posted:

There isn't, which is why TurokEX is exactly the latter.

Are you sure? Everything he's said in the past has suggested he's recreating Turok and Powerslave in his own engine.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Hmm... I wonder if there's really anything to be gained from recreating Turok on PC as opposed to just tidying up the existing PC port.

I don't think tidying up the old port is even feasible for what he wants to do. He wants to add network play, modern renderers, and linux/OSX support, all things that the 1997 DirectX 3 game doesn't support at all. I don't even think we have the source code for the old port, so you might as well start over.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I'd love to see what Turok levels looked like with the "fog" removed.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Are you sure? Everything he's said in the past has suggested he's recreating Turok and Powerslave in his own engine.

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought by "recreating Turok on PC" you essentially meant "porting" the N64 version in sort of the same way he "ported" Doom 64. Until now I thought he was just modernizing the PC version, so apparently I was wrong about that anyway. It's kind of relieving in a way because the PC port of that game is really, really bad.

Nition posted:

I'd love to see what Turok levels looked like with the "fog" removed.

Disable fog rendering in the PC version or in an N64 emulator. What happens is the Lost Land becomes a magical place that reliably constructs itself just a hundred feet from your location :v:

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Lol, well OK, I really mean fog removed and the level far clip plane extended out to include the whole level as well. I realise that would potentially cause bugs with enemy spawns and things.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I think he said that won't be a feature due to the way the levels are laid out; you'd be able to see future areas floating above or below you.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
That may be, but I want to see the truth anyway. The real world behind the fog curtain. No-one can tell me what the Turok is, I want to see it for myself.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Elliotw2 posted:

I think he said that won't be a feature due to the way the levels are laid out; you'd be able to see future areas floating above or below you.

I'm sure he can at least increase the distance to a degree.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Found what I assume Elliotw2 is referring to:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1104395 posted:

I hated how the fog was so aggressively used in Turok. Unfortunately cutting down the fog will allow you to see a lot of geometry that wasn't meant to be seen when looking up.

I might resort to using fog coordinates which I can apply to every vertex. That way I can expand the Z-depth of the fog but maintain the same Y-depth of the fog when looking up (if that makes sense).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

sharts posted:

zanzan might scratch that weird sci-fi itch

Thanks. I'd like to pick up FAKK2 at some point, I played the demo a bit and enjoyed it enough. I've played Zanzan a bit before, and I like it. It's weird, a little difficult, I think, I don't remember getting that far before, but it looks nice, kinda gives me Quake vibes, from the look at the beginning and the 3D models.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wait, I never played the original Turok (or any Turok game, aside from a few hours of multiplayer from Seeds of Evil.... yay Cerebral Bore!), they actually hid level geometry above you? Is it like a cutscene would happen, and it would transport your character to a spot above you?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hey CyRaptor, you're probably just busy but I'm gonna poke you anyways.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait, I never played the original Turok (or any Turok game, aside from a few hours of multiplayer from Seeds of Evil.... yay Cerebral Bore!), they actually hid level geometry above you? Is it like a cutscene would happen, and it would transport your character to a spot above you?
I'm more under the impression that the level design loops around on itself, but because of the limited draw distance, you'd have never noticed it.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm more under the impression that the level design loops around on itself, but because of the limited draw distance, you'd have never noticed it.

Either this or they use portals to change z-axis on you but you don't ever notice. In the 90s the concept of 'realistic level design' and non 5-D spaces went out the window when people switched to engines that could do actual room-over-room (true 3d) spaces.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I have no idea how Turok was programmed but that's not such a crazy idea. Half-Life's "skyboxes" were a scale model of the city elsewhere in the level that you could never get to, which would be rendered and then copied to the real skybox. Vampire Bloodlines had similar looking hallways which would teleport you around to make you feel like it was infinitely long. Hell, Doom even does some poo poo like that.

I've always wanted an FPS that really committed to true surreal level design; total 4D levels that fold back on themselves in non-euclidean ways. A few games like Marathon have briefly flirted with the concept but nobody really committed to seeing what kind of crazy poo poo they could do.

Basically I'd love a AAA FPS with the gameplay of Doom, the level design of Cyriak and the art style of Escher or Dali.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I never actually played it but American McGee's Alice always looked like it might be a bit like that. There's a new Alice game now as well.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zaphod42 posted:

Half-Life's "skyboxes" were a scale model of the city elsewhere in the level that you could never get to, which would be rendered and then copied to the real skybox.

This is pretty common. In the Unreal games you could noclip into the skybox, spawn an enemy there, and go back to the normal map to watch it wander around in the distance, towering over mountains and sticking its head into clouds.

quote:

I've always wanted an FPS that really committed to true surreal level design; total 4D levels that fold back on themselves in non-euclidean ways.

Descent is probably capable of that but those levels are mindbending enough already.

e: Prey did a lot of stuff like that too in its portal puzzles, especially the ones where they let you walk on walls and control gravity.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, AntiChamber isn't much of an FPS (you do get a gun, but it's pretty much only to manipulate specific walls), but it nails the non-Euclidean level design quite well.

Also, I hope that portal branch of ZDoom gets all the kinks ironed out of it, because it's such a cool concept. I mean, yeah, monsters don't pay any attention to the existence of a shortcut through the map geometry and sound doesn't travel through them either, but still...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nition posted:

I never actually played it but American McGee's Alice always looked like it might be a bit like that. There's a new Alice game now as well.

I thought about bringing up the Alice series in my post but I forgot to :downs:

They're both pretty good and they do gently caress with things a little bit, some cool proportions and things like that, some really original artwork. Pretty much the whole game is euclidean though, as far as I can remember.

I think the insane asylum from the first game did some stuff with people walking on ceilings though...

haveblue posted:

e: Prey did a lot of stuff like that too in its portal puzzles, especially the ones where they let you walk on walls and control gravity.

Prey is a game I've always had on my backlist. I somehow just completely missed the marketing on that one, didn't even hear about it until it was already long out, and I usually have my finger on the FPS industry's pulse. People say lots of good things, but I haven't actually booted it up yet. I definitely missed out though, sounds like they did some original poo poo. I really should...

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, AntiChamber isn't much of an FPS (you do get a gun, but it's pretty much only to manipulate specific walls), but it nails the non-Euclidean level design quite well.

Also, I hope that portal branch of ZDoom gets all the kinks ironed out of it, because it's such a cool concept. I mean, yeah, monsters don't pay any attention to the existence of a shortcut through the map geometry and sound doesn't travel through them either, but still...

Yeah I have antichamber and its like the one true example, but like you said its really not a proper FPS, its a puzzle game. Its cool but in that Portal way, not in the Doom way.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Zaphod42 posted:

I've always wanted an FPS that really committed to true surreal level design; total 4D levels that fold back on themselves in non-euclidean ways. A few games like Marathon have briefly flirted with the concept but nobody really committed to seeing what kind of crazy poo poo they could do.
Madspace. A late '90s Russian shooter about a dual-wielding dude infiltrating an alien spaceship. It starts with a rail shooter intro but then switches to an fps. It uses portal engine design to put larger rooms "inside" smaller ones, make hallways entangle in weird ways, and have a single door connect three rooms.
Oh, and the entire ship is labelled in Alienese, so you have to consult the pause menu to find where the doors lead. I think, I've seen screenshots of an English version of the game.

Prey did level warping to wow the players and to gently caress with them. Madspace treats it as casually as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Not even just cutscenes, often there were just straight up portals you'd walk into to get around.

Walk through that and you're in a new area that was actually just hidden in the fog above you a little bit.