Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

InitialDave posted:

What I don't agree with is that the ricey exhaust is the cheapest option. Yes, the parts price at the garage is taking the piss, but that $700 exhaust would probably cost less than the $375 ricey one if you sourced it online (or indeed, just from wherever the garage uses).

I think you're being disingenuous to use a shop-quoted price as comparison for an ebay/online price to say that ricey systems on shitbox cars are there because it's cheaper. A non-ricey budget system is probably even cheaper than that. For instance, if I look on National Tyres website, the first line they have on their "reduced exhausts" is a Mini Cooper backbox down to £300 fitted. On Ebay, I can get a "performance" backbox and centre pipe for about £170, which shows exactly what you're saying... But I can get an aftermarket non-"performance" backbox and centre pipe for about £100.

I shopped for all my options online. The ricy fartcan was the cheapest option overall. Sorry I didn't spell that out enough for you to understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

revmoo posted:

An oil change on my E36 is around that much, 8 quarts of oil at 8 bucks a pop, plus five bucks for a filter == 71 bucks.

Yeah, uh, Rotella T is cheap and works great.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
You might be able to get your oil changed for $20 if you buy the shittiest oil and a Fram filter on sale and do it yourself but I highly doubt you'll find a garage that will do it for that little - even Wal-Mart starts oil changes at $27.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

$60-$80 for an oil change? Good God, what kind of oil are you using? :psyduck:

Full synthetic oil is typically $7-10/qt unless you find it on sale, and my motor takes just shy of 7 quarts. Add in a non-poo poo filter for ~$10 and voila, $60-80 DIY.

Ironically, it's pretty much the same price to let one of my indy euro shops do changes since they buy the appropriate oil and filters in bulk.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Guinness posted:

Full synthetic oil is typically $7-10/qt unless you find it on sale, and my motor takes just shy of 7 quarts. Add in a non-poo poo filter for ~$10 and voila, $60-80 DIY.

Guess you should buy an acvw.. 3 quarts, no filter. :getin:

Though you do need to keep a supply of those crush washers, they aren't expensive though.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

kastein posted:

Other end of the political spectrum is a bunch of loving wack jobs too:

This reminds me the other day I saw a Smart Fourtwo with a huge sticker on the back that said "Not a liberal!".

Was he afraid of the shame he might feel if someone saw him driving his tiny impractical shitbox and thought "well that guy obviously voted for Obama"? :psyduck:

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, uh, Rotella T is cheap and works great.

Even at Walmart, Rotella T6 synthetic is nearly $7/qt. Newer BMWs require synthetic. Oil changes on my E46 are similar to Revmoo's E36, around $70 each change ( I use Mobil 1 synth, as that's one of the oils approved for the M54 and it's not much different in price over T6 seeing as how I have to drive a ways to get to a Walmart, but there's an Autozone I can walk to across the street).

Also remember that newer BMW inline sixes have timing chains and DOHC heads compared to your E30, so they take a lot more oil than an M20.

fakeaccount posted:

It doesn't always say that. Sometimes it says "I'm too fat to ride a loving motorcycle."

This will never be the case:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
T6 is about 20 bucks for a gallon at walmart

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

HotCanadianChick posted:

Even at Walmart, Rotella T6 synthetic is nearly $7/qt. Newer BMWs require synthetic. Oil changes on my E46 are similar to Revmoo's E36, around $70 each change ( I use Mobil 1 synth, as that's one of the oils approved for the M54 and it's not much different in price over T6 seeing as how I have to drive a ways to get to a Walmart, but there's an Autozone I can walk to across the street).

Also remember that newer BMW inline sixes have timing chains and DOHC heads compared to your E30, so they take a lot more oil than an M20.

He has an M42 which has a timing chain. M20s take 4 quarts and M42s take 5.25.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

HotCanadianChick posted:

This reminds me the other day I saw a Smart Fourtwo with a huge sticker on the back that said "Not a liberal!".

Was he afraid of the shame he might feel if someone saw him driving his tiny impractical shitbox and thought "well that guy obviously voted for Obama"? :psyduck:

This will never be the case:

BraveUlysses posted:

T6 is about 20 bucks for a gallon at walmart

This.

T is like $14.

4 qt to the gallon means $5/qt.

Also, I have an M42 (DOHC w/ timing chain) - it takes a little over 5qt. My E46 took about 7qt, I ran Rotella T on it for 60k miles or something. Meh.
I just toss Rotella in everything I own since it's safe for motorcycles. If I had an E60 M5 or something exotic then sure.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The poo poo-trikes are spreading. I just saw a Slingshot on the road here in Shreveport. :stare:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I can get a 5q jug of Mobil1 20w-50 for like, $26.68 at my local Walmart. Where the gently caress are you guys buying oil? Or is Mobil1 the "peasant" full synthetic these days or something?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I go with motorcraft oil. Is that bad? I go synthetic blend, the only thing that worries me is that its so darn cheap, $17.97 for 5 quarts. But hey I drive two fords. :haw:

Rotilla is for diesel engines, right? I remember getting laughed at when I said I would pick some up after everyone recommended it but I swear no one mentioned that they were driving a diesel.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I put rotella t in my Subaru. Although for awhile i was using Motul 5w40 synthetic because we stocked in and I got it at cost.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cage posted:

Rotilla is for diesel engines, right? I remember getting laughed at when I said I would pick some up after everyone recommended it but I swear no one mentioned that they were driving a diesel.

Rotela is for diesels, but it offers better protection than some other oils and meets higher standards due to the amount of stress diesel get put under.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Also IIRC has a higher zinc content for flat tappets.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

T6 is awesome, it's recommended a lot for turbo applications. It's a diesel oil, which does throw a lot of people at first, but it's backed by the ratings the oil carries plus a myriad of Blackstone analysis reports across a lot of different models/engines.

As for terrible car stuff, T6 is pricy in the land of maple syrup when it's not on sale. 5I jug plus a cheap fram filter came to just over $62. I need to stock up, somehow ran out and didn't notice when my last change came up.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Bajaha posted:

T6 is awesome, it's recommended a lot for turbo applications. It's a diesel oil, which does throw a lot of people at first, but it's backed by the ratings the oil carries plus a myriad of Blackstone analysis reports across a lot of different models/engines.

As for terrible car stuff, T6 is pricy in the land of maple syrup when it's not on sale. 5I jug plus a cheap fram filter came to just over $62. I need to stock up, somehow ran out and didn't notice when my last change came up.

It's 19.99 a gallon at my local walmart. Cross the border dawg.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Paging Boomerjinks

http://saginaw.craigslist.org/cto/4895891902.html

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Why would you go to the work of doing that, using an Explorer... and not use the right Explorer?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
To be fair, finding an unmolested, rust-free and mechanically sound mid-90s Explorer would be a pretty tall order at this point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Why would you go to the work of doing that, using an Explorer... and not use the right Explorer?

Exploder.

It seems like every Ford Explorer I see in the south is sagging really badly from overuse.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geoj posted:

To be fair, finding an unmolested, rust-free and mechanically sound mid-90s Explorer would be a pretty tall order at this point.
Yes, but do they have DINO DAMAGE?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Geoj posted:

Guess it depends on what part of the country you're in. I did a quick Craigslist search near me and this one is $2,400 and already comes with the correct Eddie Bauer wheels, body kit, seats (including leather and beige color). And of course no rust, being a SoCal car.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/4897426981.html

Throw on some paint and you're 90% there.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kastein posted:

Other end of the political spectrum is a bunch of loving wack jobs too:

Both of these have "I love my country / I fear my government" stickers, which is pretty great.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

InitialDave posted:

Boomerjinks made a Ghost Busters car out of a Subaru.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

I saw one of those poor fuckers today on my way home from work. Looked like it was begging for death.

Someone at Ford needs either a medal or a bullet to the head for that one. It's like the aspirational version of the dented Sunfire.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

It's not the sticker, it's where it's located

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

blk posted:

It's not the sticker, it's where it's located

I like the way it could also imply that she only passes from the right side

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

What someone really needs to do is take a Mercedes ML and do it up Lost World style.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BoostCreep posted:

Guess it depends on what part of the country you're in. I did a quick Craigslist search near me and this one is $2,400 and already comes with the correct Eddie Bauer wheels, body kit, seats (including leather and beige color). And of course no rust, being a SoCal car.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/4897426981.html

Throw on some paint and you're 90% there.

This is like 5 miles from me. Almost tempting for a early 90s nostalgia factor, but it is in Mo Valley, which means it is either stolen or I'd get robbed picking it up.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Fucknag posted:

What someone really needs to do is take a Mercedes ML and do it up Lost World style.

That implies that there are any W163 ML-classes on the road. :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sinestro posted:

I see a few here and there but only ever worked on the subsequent shape. Are they particularly doggy?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Slavvy posted:

I see a few here and there but only ever worked on the subsequent shape. Are they particularly doggy?

They are arguably Mercedes' worst vehicle ever made. Complete piles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I dunno the first generation A class makes a pretty convincing argument for that title, but I guess it isn't huge and thirsty on top of being lovely and retarded.

Fun fact: the engine on those was laying on it's side, tilted forwards, with the trans and accessories strung out behind it roughly where the front occupants feet go. The idea was that in a major crash, the entire drivetrain would just detach like a lizard's tail and slip out underneath the car so the crumple zone could do it's thing.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Slavvy posted:

I dunno the first generation A class makes a pretty convincing argument for that title, but I guess it isn't huge and thirsty on top of being lovely and retarded.

Fun fact: the engine on those was laying on it's side, tilted forwards, with the trans and accessories strung out behind it roughly where the front occupants feet go. The idea was that in a major crash, the entire drivetrain would just detach like a lizard's tail and slip out underneath the car so the crumple zone could do it's thing.

That's a legitimately innovative design decision that has some drawbacks when it comes to maintainance. The 1st gen M-class was just an awful car.

You would think that a basic front engine, RWD, body on frame truck would be within the capabilities of Mercedes engineering but here we are.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

The Sam Vimes boots principle of socio-economic inequality.

A rich man can buy a really, really good pair of boots that will last for years, can be resoled multiple times, and throughout will keep your feet toasty and warm, and the elements out. $100 a pair.

A poor man only has enough money at any one time to buy cheap, crap boots that fall apart after a year, aren't able to be resoled, and are generally uncomfortable and leak. $20 a pair.

By year 6, the poor man has spent more on boots than the rich man, will continue to spend more forever after, and still has wet feet.

I get that, but we're talking about a few buck worth of oil and paying enough attention to keep it topped off/change it on occasion to save hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

It's triage. I've been there. It's possible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

I'm having a hard time believing that fartcans are a matter of cost savings.

From last page but a Ebay exhaust from the headers to fart can was about 1/3 the price of a normal exhaust system when I put one on the Civic last year.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Sinestro posted:

Jeff Goldblum said he had one still from Lost World. I wonder if it is still going.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Boomerjinks made a Ghost Busters car out of a Subaru.
Oh, I know, but this is like he made it out of a '73 Caddy, or made a KITT replica out of a Corvette. Sure, it's sort of the right car, but not quite.

Saying that, there's a Vauxhall Frontera here that's painted up in JP colours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.
From when I was living in the Cayman Islands:

Yes, it's just a regular PT. But since the Cayman Islands has no direct taxation of business, income, or property, they make all their money on import duties. To get this car licensed, at all, somebody paid ( value of car + shipping + sea insurance ) * 1.26, plus another $600ish for plates, reg, and inspection. They didn't just casually go on craigslist and get this thing. They had to put it on a goddamn boat. :psyduck:

Oh, and bonus round, here's what the tropical sun does to a PT's dash: