Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Brightman posted:

I thought people hated it, but maybe I'm confusing it for another Kirby DS game?

One bad review came and people said it sucked until it released, now people say they like it a lot.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Squeak Squad is the one people aren't fussed about.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

WadeBartender posted:

no one hates any kirby game

I'm probably just thinking of another one, like what was the worst main Kirby game compared to the others?

Awesome! posted:

triple deluxe on the 3ds is very good

I'll do it when I get home and just download it since apparently these prices never seem to change :v:

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

It's Canvas Curse but worse in every way except the visuals (which you can only see on the Gamepad), and released in a world that's flooded with cheap touchscreen games.

Probably the most disappointing Nintendo sequel since Yoshi's Island DS.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Lots of not cute going on.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Did someone say Rainbow Curse or whatever has multiplayer? Isn't it entirely a touch-screen based game? How does that work? Or is it not local MP but *gasp* through the Internet?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the other people play waddle dees and i think they use normal controls

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Local multiplayer with the other players controlling Waddle Dees that play like typical platformer characters. Multiplayer is incredibly broken and sucks all the challenge out of everything.

F. Lobot posted:

It's Canvas Curse but worse in every way except the visuals (which you can only see on the Gamepad), and released in a world that's flooded with cheap touchscreen games.

Not even close.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

In other not-so-cute Kirby news, I got this email earlier:

Toys R Us posted:

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for shopping at Toys"R"Us and Babies"R"Us!

We wanted to inform you that we have not yet received inventory on your Wii U-Kirby and the Rainbow Cu pre-order which was expected in-store on February 20th, 2015. We will send you a follow-up email once this item is available and ready for pickup.

After screwing up my Smash preorder, I think I'm done with Toys R Us forever.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Fremry posted:

I think that's an extremely valid complaint, and one of the reasons I had written it off. I have a very nice 60" TV, Nintendo finally made an HD console, and this game has an extremely nice aesthetic. I don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth nor the full effect by playing the game on a 6" low res screen whose color depth and calibration is mediocre at best.

I completely agree. This is something really weird about finally having an HD Nintendo console, and being forced to play on a small SD screen. It make me feel like this sort of gameplay was better for the 3DS, and they just sort of made a Wii U version instead because they needed games that use the tablet.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

raditts posted:

Yeah, that was a pretty crap review that basically said "this game is not exactly the same as Canvas Curse so it is a bad game pee pee doo doo soulless"

Have they always been that bad, or did they go downhill after that one fat guy died? I remember people in this forum holding them up as some kind of gold standard a few years ago but not so much anymore.

I've never even heard of this Dan Ryckert guy, personally I don't trust anybody at Giant Bomb with Nintendo stuff except Patrick Klepick.

And yea, after they moved into a proper place and Ryan passed away I haven't been much of a GB fan anymore.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 19, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Brightman posted:

I thought people hated it, but maybe I'm confusing it for another Kirby DS game?

I'm pretty sure people liked it almost unanimously. I kinda wish they had a console version of Kirby Fighters, cause it's kind of annoying having only two powers to use if you're playing over download play on the DS.

Aperture Priority posted:

In other not-so-cute Kirby news, I got this email earlier:

After screwing up my Smash preorder, I think I'm done with Toys R Us forever.

I got that email too. I don't suppose there's any chance of them getting it in within the next 2 days? Or, at least, a chance of them doing something nice to make up for it?

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 19, 2015

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

raditts posted:

I'm pretty sure people liked it almost unanimously. I kinda wish they had a console version of Kirby Fighters, cause it's kind of annoying having only two powers to use if you're playing over download play on the DS.

Yeah, I was thinking of something else, someone mention Squeak Squad, but I just remember a DS Kirby game being not great without remembering which one. Now I just need to wait for my 3DS to charge and update so I can grab Triple Deluxe...it's dead because I've been busy...with Wii U games...mainly Mario Kart and 3D World which is somehow more charming than I thought it'd be.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Brightman posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of something else, someone mention Squeak Squad, but I just remember a DS Kirby game being not great without remembering which one. Now I just need to wait for my 3DS to charge and update so I can grab Triple Deluxe...it's dead because I've been busy...with Wii U games...mainly Mario Kart and 3D World which is somehow more charming than I thought it'd be.

Mass Attack?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

F. Lobot posted:

Wait are you saying this from experience or just basing that on reviews?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Skeezy posted:

Mass Attack?

Mass Attack is the greatest video game of all time so it can't be that.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I spent the money I was going to spend on Kirby on a new copy of Mario 3D World and now I'll have enough coins to get Starfox 3D. I hope kirby can understand

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Late GBA Kirby game Amazing Mirror was sub-par if you're thinking of that one.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

There's four DS Kirby games:

Canvas Curse, Squeak Squad, Super Star Ultra, and Mass Attack. Of those the only mediocre one is Squeak. It's not even bad, just nothing you'd write home about or feel happy paying full price for.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Chaltab posted:

Wait are you saying this from experience or just basing that on reviews?

Combination of reviews and watching footage.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

F. Lobot posted:

gently caress off

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

F. Lobot posted:

Not until you plop the money down on a game you will hate will you be deemed worthy IMO.

Awesome! posted:

gently caress off

See, the babies come out.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Vintersorg posted:

Not until you plop the money down on a game you will hate will you be deemed worthy IMO.

See, the babies come out.

:iamafag:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

To be honest the art style of Rainbow Curse is way more appealing to me than the gameplay. I liked Canvas Curse, but I didn't fall in love with it and never felt compelled to get all the collectibles like I do with most Kirby games.

Still, I'm definitely going to get this one regardless, just perhaps not until I have some kind of serious lack of other things to play.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

quote:

New or inexperienced players will enjoy the gentle challenge, and if a stage proves too challenging and a player meets their demise a few too many times on a stage then Rainbow Curse has their back — it politely asks if you'd like to simply move on to the next stage.

:lol:

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
This actually sounds like something I will grab for my kids now after hearing about multiplayer and the easier difficulty!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

That's a really good feature, why the lol?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so it's basically the same thing as every other nintendo platformer lately when you die too much? .......LOL!!!!!!!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Awesome! posted:

so it's basically the same thing as every other nintendo platformer lately when you die too much? .......LOL!!!!!!!

Shh. Shh - its gonna be ok. You can still be cute.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's no easier or harder than Canvas Curse, I don't think. The big difference in difficulty comes from the challenge stages - they were a lot longer in Canvas Curse so they took longer to thoroughly beat, but the challenge levels in Rainbow Curse are bite-sized so you blow through them all way quicker.

It's a fun game and I'd been hanging out for a clay Kirby game for ages so I'm glad they nailed the visuals but it's not the huge leap over Canvas Curse that I'd hoped for. I feel like there's a lot of room to expand on the formula but Rainbow Curse barely moves things forward at all.

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013
I base my opinions off of whatever genericwhitemalegamer.com has to say, I know I can trust them

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Vintersorg posted:

Shh. Shh - its gonna be ok. You can still be cute.

cute is good but im actually happier to not be this retarded

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Awesome! posted:

cute is good but im actually happier to not be this retarded

Your anger over someone not liking your game is pretty cute.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i am super angry

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ready for conjecture!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Maybe the reason Rainbow Curse is getting bad reviews is because it's actually a bad game. Honestly, I'm not really seeing why people were interested in this. Looks about as boring as Canvas Curse, which didn't really do much for me.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
This thread was cute once.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Cute is out, badass is in.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The GameSpot and Giantbomb reviews have scared me off wanting to get the game. I've been concerned about the controls from the start, it looks like it would be very frustrating to play and I wish this was a traditional 2D platformer, but it's not. The reviews have confirmed my fears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

cute is dead

• Locked thread