Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Team attack off just becomes a mess of projectile spammers hanging back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
If you're playing with customs on then you're either playing With Friends or offline, in which case you can kick problem players who spam projectiles. I mean I guess that's not ideal either, but otherwise you end up having to deem what custom moves out of the 100s in the game are acceptable.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
When I was in college at a Brawl tournament people threw a hissy fit when the organizer tried to turn on team attack, and people voted overwhelmingly to turn it off. This resulted in him grabbing dudes to hold them long enough for me to forward smash them with Ike.

I won twenty bucks

And now I have no friends

That's my competitive smash story

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Team attack off is loving boring.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Smash Bros 64 is on ESPN's affiliated blog, Grantland!

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Chaltab posted:

If you're playing with customs on then you're either playing With Friends or offline, in which case you can kick problem players who spam projectiles. I mean I guess that's not ideal either, but otherwise you end up having to deem what custom moves out of the 100s in the game are acceptable.

you understand people are talking about tournament play right?

Evil Eagle posted:

Team attack off is loving boring.

also this, it's really broken too.

order tackle is going to be banned from doubles and that's basically it

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Wild Knight posted:

I won twenty bucks

And now I have no friends

That's my competitive smash story

That's everyone's competitive smash story.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yo, tell me how to fight boring Lucarios that just roll to each side of the stage, charge their projectile, and use forward-B and dash attacks to keep people away. It seems punishable but it's also super boring and repetitive, how do I discourage this behavior?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
approach from the air

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

ChaosArgate posted:

I got so excited when you said there was a great scene in my state, but I just looked and it's like an hour away from where I live. :(

Reiley posted:

Is is mostly around Boston or is there a Western MA scene as well?

I have good news for both of you! I host a Smash 4 scene in the Boston area AND Western MA!

Western MA: Game Underground (in Framingham MA) in addition to being a fantastic store hosts every kind of smash under the sun. I host Smash 4 night on Tuesday nights (signups 6-7, goes till 10) . They also host Smashing Grounds Weekly on Thursday nights at the same time, which is primarily PM, but hosts all the other smashes as well.

GU Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/gameunderground
Smash 4 Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NESmash4/
PM Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1440161802907883/
Smashboards Thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/feb-17-2015-game-underground-smash-4-weeklies-tuesdays-framingham-ma.385999/

Boston Area: I live in Quincy (Right on southern artery) and I operate The Smash Den out of my house. It's super accessible from the red line, but we're on temporary hiatus (both my driveway and the MBTA are getting reamed by snow for the FIFTH WEEK IN A ROW). We held a charity tournament with 30 people out of my house a few weeks ago, which is what those videos were from, but I probably won't be holding any more event till after PAX. Join our Facebook group and I'll be posting there.

Smash Den Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SmashBrosMA/
My Twitch Channel: http://www.twitch.tv/LanceKing2200_

There's also a scene in the Lowell area (for you north shore people). I haven't been up there yet, but some people from the group are in the Facebook groups, and I hear good things.

Smashboards thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/feb-12-2015-over-the-horizons-lowell-ma.384838/#post-18308789

Also, yeah, I drive from Quincy to Framingham every Tuesday during rush hour and I run the drat thing, no one has any excuse.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

approach from the air
I think my poor ability to air-dodge or time my getting my shield up when I land is limiting this.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think I'm just annoyed because I've run into somewhere around 8 or 9 different people playing Lucario the exact same way. Is there a newsletter?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

sharrrk posted:

you understand people are talking about tournament play right?
Yes, and generally speaking tournament organizers reserve the right to kick or disqualify players for their behavior.

It just seems like Team Attack is something you'd turn on for a laugh in a game that doesn't matter, where, oops I accidentally reflected a projectile into my partner and blew up his last stock. In a tournament where money is on the line that would be a pain in the rear end. But if there's a good reason to turn it on, I guess that's fine as long as it doesn't break the game.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

The other day I caped a Luma into its Rosalina master for a hilarious KO.

Well that is my casual smash story.

But actually as Mario I have a lot of trouble vs Rosalina. Luna is part of the problem but her floatiness also makes her difficult to combo because she flies out of them. Always satisfying to cape a rosalina recovery though, but if they do an understage recovery that's a lot harder to do.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yo, tell me how to fight boring Lucarios that just roll to each side of the stage, charge their projectile, and use forward-B and dash attacks to keep people away. It seems punishable but it's also super boring and repetitive, how do I discourage this behavior?

Learn their timing for rolling (players who do this are usually very predictable) and punish the poo poo out of their rolls when they try to cross the stage with with them.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

I wish every character in this game had custom special options as cool as Pacman's crazy fruit and DK's tornado up b.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

This is really cool! I've been wanting to try live tournaments and playing offline but I didn't think we had any in our state. Framingham is a bit of a hike but it'll be worth checking out, thanks!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think I'm just annoyed because I've run into somewhere around 8 or 9 different people playing Lucario the exact same way. Is there a newsletter?

Everyone on For Glory just sits there and makes you do all the work. It's really bad and boring.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deviant posted:

Can anyone confirm the mayflash adapter is as good as the first party?

I am havuing no qualms with it as of right now

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

i think you should join us in irc chat for games that we do because we dont play like defensive bumfuck retards that this game tends to generate

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Go all in.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
looking for people to smash with on Wii U, nintendo network ID: keeeby

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

How Rude posted:

looking for people to smash with on Wii U, nintendo network ID: keeeby

Sure. I'm busy right now but I can play later. I'm THETAZER0, I'll add you now.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
got a new 3ds, turns out you cant re-map the c stick to tilts. that means aerials with the stick are now shittier thanks to the "smash" setting for c-stick killing directional input while performing an aerial.

thanks obama

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

So why exactly does the c-stick work like that? Seemed like they had it right the last 2 games, no one caught this during play testing or something?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

LanceKing2200 posted:

dedede videos

Glad to know that my general strategy of fast-fall nair to down tilt is the correct one

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Bluff Buster posted:

So why exactly does the c-stick work like that? Seemed like they had it right the last 2 games, no one caught this during play testing or something?

my educated guess is that someone couldn't figure out how to macro a smash move without moving the player so they straight up disable the movement stick when you use the c-stick smashes or aerials. then again, they made it work fine for regular attacks so who knows

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
3DS question: Did they by chance improve the AI with the recent patch or take advantage of the extra CPU in the New 3DS? I'm playing it for the first time on the N3DS and the CPU are doing things I've never seen them do, specifically air combos and using moves they never did prior. Their bullshit dodges are even more bullshit but now it's impossible to nail those sweet spot moves (Zelda's kick, Falcon's knee, Peach's slap, etc.). Instead of easily winning with random characters I'm getting my rear end kicked.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Louisgod posted:

3DS question: Did they by chance improve the AI with the recent patch or take advantage of the extra CPU in the New 3DS? I'm playing it for the first time on the N3DS and the CPU are doing things I've never seen them do, specifically air combos and using moves they never did prior. Their bullshit dodges are even more bullshit but now it's impossible to nail those sweet spot moves (Zelda's kick, Falcon's knee, Peach's slap, etc.). Instead of easily winning with random characters I'm getting my rear end kicked.

If the wiki is anything to go by, apparently the AI had been updated to match the WiiU CPUs, so take that for what you will.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Bluff Buster posted:

If the wiki is anything to go by, apparently the AI had been updated to match the WiiU CPUs, so take that for what you will.

Oh cool, now I'll never be able to land any air attacks ever again. At least I already 100% the game already.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Bluff Buster posted:

joke's on them, 3ds had better singleplayer and i already cleared that poo poo, no need to touch it ever again.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Another thing to remember about the CPUs is that they seem to function like the Brawl CPUs did and also very similarly (albeit much stupider and slower at adapting) to the Amiibos. They "learn" strategies based on data collected from the online component. There's actually a really interesting experiment some people did when Brawl first came out where they realized two different wiis/sd cards can have two fundamentally different AI sets based entirely on what inputs have been used most on a console.

It's really weird but it's what lead to the Smash 4 CPUs being EXTREMELY scummy during the original Japanese release, as well as them just randomly rolling all the time and never running anywhere. Not sure if that's been fixed yet, but there seems to be some influence from those playing the game.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Can I get a source on that Brawl AI experiment?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That's been debunked. If it were a real thing, replays with AI opponents would desync after a while because the replays reconstruct the match by running the AI as it is currently so if it adapted and learned new things, the AI might try to do something new in the replay. People have also looked into Brawl's data and have yet to find anything resembling adaptive AI.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Bluff Buster posted:

No that makes perfect sense, thanks. Sheik's AI was using her smoke as an actual weapon instead of a recovery so there's a definite improvement there but again, they upped the BS dodges by 10. I don't mind the challenge but was curious if I all of a sudden got worse or what.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bluff Buster posted:

Oh snap :( I've fought the CPU a whole lot in both versions and the Wii U CPU is definitely a lot harder. I'd say a 3ds level 9 was about a Wii U level 7-8. Another interesting thing is how much the CPU's differ from character to character, in both versions. I've fought level 9's that more or less just stand there and throw out the occasional smash attack, but also level 8's who 2-stock me. Can't remember off the top of my head which ones were bad and which ones were good, but I'm pretty sure Bowser Jr. was one of the rubbish ones even at 9.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

That's been debunked. If it were a real thing, replays with AI opponents would desync after a while because the replays reconstruct the match by running the AI as it is currently so if it adapted and learned new things, the AI might try to do something new in the replay. People have also looked into Brawl's data and have yet to find anything resembling adaptive AI.
Wait, wouldn't it desync anyway if replays were done with AI? Randomized things like Peach's turnip pulls or Game&Watch's hammer thing could drastically change match results. I just thought it recorded the actions themselves.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Was it debunked? I didn't know that. Because there was a definite issue during 3DS release where CPU Yoshis would, after connecting to the internet, attempt to do the Teleport setup and constantly SD. People noticed it again after the Link Infinite was discovered too, on reddit and Smashboards, where suddenly Level 9 Link CPUs were doing 3-4 hit jab cancel combos on people seemingly overnight.

May be a confirmation bias sort of thing but it had reddit in a frenzy during release.

Regardless, the Wii U CPU is much more competent than the 3DS version CPUs, and they play very differently.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

laplace posted:

Was it debunked? I didn't know that. Because there was a definite issue during 3DS release where CPU Yoshis would, after connecting to the internet, attempt to do the Teleport setup and constantly SD. People noticed it again after the Link Infinite was discovered too, on reddit and Smashboards, where suddenly Level 9 Link CPUs were doing 3-4 hit jab cancel combos on people seemingly overnight.

May be a confirmation bias sort of thing but it had reddit in a frenzy during release.
It was debunked that the AI worked like that in Brawl, yes. For 3DS, I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Chaltab posted:

Wait, wouldn't it desync anyway if replays were done with AI? Randomized things like Peach's turnip pulls or Game&Watch's hammer thing could drastically change match results. I just thought it recorded the actions themselves.

i'm pretty sure the game just keeps track of those random elements and rigs the replays so that they happen the same way every time. i remember testing this with replays i recorded from vanilla brawl after using mods and the ai definitely does its own thing instead of having its inputs recorded. the player characters would be doing poo poo that made no sense and would constantly sd while the computers would all be fighting reasonably competently even in the new environment. i don't know if this is true for 3ds or wii u though but it doesn't seem like something they would change

Ms. Unsmiley fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 19, 2015

• Locked thread