Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Beast Pussy posted:

Alright, I'm going to hope for the best on this one.
The big issue for me is if they don't balance the game right it could end up falling flat. For example, in Ultima Underworld there was a Fly spell which you could use to solve a large proportion of environmental puzzles. Even though Fly was high level so you had to use a lot of mana, plus you had to actually find the rune stones to cast the spell in the first place, and also that magic in UU was a pain in the arse which discouraged using it, it was still far more useful than nearly anything else. There is a danger with the sort of design that Underworld Ascendant is going for that they will also end up with one method that is simply better than anything else.

That said I'm also hoping for the best, because I really loved Ultima Underworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Maybe this is the same sort of deal. Sometimes, incredibly, a guy can self-motivate to collect a bunch of money for an idea but can't motivate when it's time for the rubber to hit the road. Those people aren't necessarily scammers, they're just losers. They're the ballast that should keep people wise about tossing KS pledges at just anybody.

It's weird, because for about 5 months there were regular updates that were fairly lengthy and showed what appeared to be progress being made. Then, like a switch being flipped, he was gone and there's been no word from him since the end of September.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Maybe he's hiding out with Wollay.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Trapezium Dave posted:

That said I'm also hoping for the best, because I really loved Ultima Underworld.

Me too. I'm crazy for the original Underworlds and a big Looking Glass fanboy, but as hard as it is to say, I'm pretty underwhelmed by the Underworld kickstarter.

I did manage to get over my initial reaction of "Dark... elves... :sigh: please, god, no." But then they're talking about all the amazing emergent things you'll be able to do like dam up a river and have it make the dwarves happy because now they can mine there and the fungus people sad because it's too dry for fungus farms, which just sounds like you're just daming a river in one of a couple pre-made spots which leads to some pre-scripted responses from a couple factions. I mean otherwise you'd need Dwarf Fortress levels of fluid simulation and farming and mining and stuff going on in the background. Or where they're trying to show off an emergent spider escape scenario and he blows up the bridge just as the giant spider comes out in a manner that looks very... scripted and non-emergent. How do we get back across the lava? Well, we could activate 'convince-dwarves-to-emergently-rebuild-bridge.script'. How do we get off the island without fighting the tentacle monster? Why use the pre-placed swashbuckle gadget conveniently attached to the ceiling.

It feels like they're awkwardly trying to oversell the now fairly standard 'multiple scripted solutions' as MAGIC EMERGENCE. I really enjoy games like Deus Ex or whatever with a bunch of ways to solve areas, but don't try to sell me some E3 Oblivion world where the npcs are 'observing' how I 'play the game' and changing their behavior accordingly.

Anyway. I grew up on Underworld and they've got my $50 and the benefit of the doubt, but I don't feel like they're selling it very well.

:smith:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

It feels like they're awkwardly trying to oversell the now fairly standard 'multiple scripted solutions' as MAGIC EMERGENCE. I really enjoy games like Deus Ex or whatever with a bunch of ways to solve areas, but don't try to sell me some E3 Oblivion world where the npcs are 'observing' how I 'play the game' and changing their behavior accordingly.
I know what you mean. I'd appreciate it more if they came out and said that all the faction stuff will really be a bunch of branching tree decisions rather than dynamic experience fluff, because I expect it will end up being the former anyway and it will be a lot more controllable from a designer perspective to boot.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Beast Pussy posted:

I backed Underworld Ascendant, but their daily updates are starting to worry me already.

How do I cross lava?

About their dynamic choice system:

I'm not a programmer, how different is this from the grandiose style promises of PM or Chris Roberts(pbuh)?

That first one is seriously your bog standard crafting system. Collect 5 spider webs and 2 pieces of iron to construct a grappling hook. Use grappling hook and check against acrobatics skill for success. Not sure why that worries you. The second one seems more meaningless than unobtainable. It's the kind of promise I've heard a lot over the last twenty years for various dungeon crawlers and RPGs and I'm still not sure what the point is or why it's meant to be fun. Also I'm pretty sure every time it's been promised, it has either not shown up or underdelivered, so there's that.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Obsidian hasn't hosed up like Double Fine has.

dude. alpha protocol

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Fremry posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought. I have a cat, and I freaking love my cat like a child, but I don't get this cat stuff. There's another card game on there called Schrodinger's Cat which doesn't look especially good either, and it's getting funded really well.

Neither of them are, really. One is basically Uno with a Russian Roulette element, and the other is Liar's Dice with cards.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Maybe he's hiding out with Wollay.
It may have turned into some kind of Grizzly Man situation. Wasn't one of the stretch goals for him to go and live with bears or something?

Anyway, I had no idea it'd been that long since a Bear Simulator update. Very weird. And confession time, despite my avatar, I never actually gave money to the project, I just couldn't resist a good bear pun. As fun as the pitch and everything involved with it was, the game itself seemed like it would be a little too gimmicky. Plus it looked like it was just one guy trying to do everything himself, which is not good.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Me too. I'm crazy for the original Underworlds and a big Looking Glass fanboy, but as hard as it is to say, I'm pretty underwhelmed by the Underworld kickstarter.

I did manage to get over my initial reaction of "Dark... elves... :sigh: please, god, no." But then they're talking about all the amazing emergent things you'll be able to do like dam up a river and have it make the dwarves happy because now they can mine there and the fungus people sad because it's too dry for fungus farms, which just sounds like you're just daming a river in one of a couple pre-made spots which leads to some pre-scripted responses from a couple factions. I mean otherwise you'd need Dwarf Fortress levels of fluid simulation and farming and mining and stuff going on in the background. Or where they're trying to show off an emergent spider escape scenario and he blows up the bridge just as the giant spider comes out in a manner that looks very... scripted and non-emergent. How do we get back across the lava? Well, we could activate 'convince-dwarves-to-emergently-rebuild-bridge.script'. How do we get off the island without fighting the tentacle monster? Why use the pre-placed swashbuckle gadget conveniently attached to the ceiling.

Anyway. I grew up on Underworld and they've got my $50 and the benefit of the doubt, but I don't feel like they're selling it very well.

:smith:

The video looks scripted because it probably is. The whole thing is basically a proof of concept demo and presumably not actually what the final game will be like. True dynamic gameplay is still a hugely, hugely lofty promise, but you can't really take much away from that footage other than "these are the types of possibilites we would like to create".

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Interactions in Dwarf Fortress are still essentially scripted, there's just more use of an RNG thrown in. All interactions between objects in games are scripted to some degree, because a computer doesn't think the same way we think.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Toxxupation posted:

dude. alpha protocol

Alpha Protocol is actually really interesting (though very flawed) and it's nowhere near akin to what Double Fine did with the kickstarter or with the star dwarf fortress game. I didn't mean "made games that weren't good" I meant straight hosed up.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Serious questions: has anyone here backed a crowdfunded project that wasn't delayed?

Elegy for a Dead World came out 3 months early, which made me practically fall out of my chair when I read the announcement. And it's a game, technically...

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Alpha Protocol is actually really interesting (though very flawed) and it's nowhere near akin to what Double Fine did with the kickstarter or with the star dwarf fortress game. I didn't mean "made games that weren't good" I meant straight hosed up.

To be clear I'm not sayin Obsidian is on DF's level and they've made some actually good, complete games in the past ten years (including, arguably, the game of the generation or at least close to it), but Obsidian's track record is nowhere near spotless and the insane defense it always gets on these forums rankles me

Either way they don't deserve the DF comparisons because they haven't scammed anyone

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

I still don't consider broken age a straight hosed up experience. It's still being made and is presumably still going to come out, even if it's taking forever. That's arguably better than being rushed out and being underwhelming. Maybe I'm rationalizing it because I'm a backer, but I don't feel bilked out of my money or anything.

There's no excuse for spacebase, though.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Toxxupation posted:

To be clear I'm not sayin Obsidian is on DF's level and they've made some actually good, complete games in the past ten years (including, arguably, the game of the generation or at least close to it), but Obsidian's track record is nowhere near spotless and the insane defense it always gets on these forums rankles me

Either way they don't deserve the DF comparisons because they haven't scammed anyone

There was no comparison, he's the one that brought up Obsidian in the first place. I think at some point even he forgot what he was arguing.

torgo posted:

It looks like two of the games I kickstarted are dead, or at least MIA.

Mansion Lord was an interesting looking hybrid of a building/business sim with a tactical RPG in a Clue inspired setting. No updates since the Paypal donation period ended in August. Their web address registration lapsed. Looking back at the pitch video, it should have sent up red flags, but I guess I was more trusting of kickstarters back then.

Bear Simulator was pretty much a Goat Simulator rip-off, but I thought it had some more potential. It seemed they were going for some bit of a narrative structure/mystery instead of just a sandbox. The pitch video even had some real gameplay, and there were updates afterwards that showed some progress. There hasn't been any sort of update or communication from the developer since September.

These actually bum me out, even though I didn't give money. I already knew the Mansion Lord developers were AWOL (and in retrospect not giving a single name for the project is really sketchy), but I had no clue about Bear Simulator being in such a state.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

On one hand The Oatmeal sucks and that's a bad kickstarter. On the other, seriously why give such a poo poo? People earn far more for doing far less every day and they're not really doing any harm, just let people back their stupid monkey cheese game in peace

It's just a reminder that we're being slowly digested by an amoral universe, is all.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

As one of the upper tier backers of this project, I can only say that it was a really good pitch at the right time. I sunk a chunk of change into this.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mycot posted:

There was no comparison, he's the one that brought up Obsidian in the first place. I think at some point even he forgot what he was arguing.

That was actually my entire point???/ The thing he said!

mechaet posted:

As one of the upper tier backers of this project, I can only say that it was a really good pitch at the right time. I sunk a chunk of change into this.

Source your quotes.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Source your quotes.

mechaet posted:

As someone who has thrown money hand over fist back during the "lifetime insurance" days, I've spent literal thousands of dollars on Star Citizen.

I don't regret it; it's going to be amazing.

mechaet posted:

As someone who has thrown money hand over fist back during the "lifetime insurance" days, I've spent literal thousands of dollars on Star Citizen.

mechaet posted:

mechaet posted:

mechaet posted:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Hakkesshu posted:

The video looks scripted because it probably is. The whole thing is basically a proof of concept demo and presumably not actually what the final game will be like. True dynamic gameplay is still a hugely, hugely lofty promise, but you can't really take much away from that footage other than "these are the types of possibilites we would like to create".

Oh, I know it's a concept demo, I just feel like if you're trying to aspire to emergent gameplay and literally saying "nowadays everyone scripts everything, but we don't want to do that" then maybe your demo reel shouldn't have a dramatic scripted moment (bridge is blown just in time to prevent MEGASPIDER from crossing) standing in for emergent gameplay.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
How does a non-interactive video make the differentiation between a player blowing up a bridge just in time by skill/luck and blowing it just in time in a scripted sequence? If they just played it over and over until they got the timing right for the video it would be indistinguishable.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'm gonna cross the lava by building a bridge out of all the broken "emergent gameplay" promises in various games over the years.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

I do have an uncanny ability to heavily back some amazing projects.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

dude. alpha protocol
hey, obsidian? yeah, it's sega, yeaaaahhhhhhhhhh im gonna need you to make alpha protocol more rpg-ish. yeah no, don't let the player use a pistol like they would in an fps from the get-go, lock that behind a big experience point gate. also if you dont do this were shutting you down, okay? thaaaaaaaaaanks

-an actual thing that happened

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I still don't consider broken age a straight hosed up experience. It's still being made and is presumably still going to come out, even if it's taking forever. That's arguably better than being rushed out and being underwhelming. Maybe I'm rationalizing it because I'm a backer, but I don't feel bilked out of my money or anything.

There's no excuse for spacebase, though.
Yeah I'd back Broken Age all over again, and probably for more money. It's been a fascinating process to watch, getting to see the bad parts and all. The documentary episodes have been incredible. I consider it icing on the cake that Broken Age part I ended up being so good, nobody knew what to expect when the project launch so I was thinking much smaller and simpler.

But Spacebase, yeah. Don't know much about it and didn't buy it, so I don't have much of an opinion.

e: and also as I was typing this, got an update through email about Broken Age act 2 being in beta. Next documentary episode will be after the game launches. No final date yet though. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fine-adventure/posts/1106281

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Sega delayed Alpha Protocol and then refused to let Obsidian use the delay time to work on polishing the game. It's probably one of the best examples of publisher interference loving up games of all time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mechaet posted:

I do have an uncanny ability to heavily back some amazing projects.

You are so bad with money that it qualifies as a mental illness.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That first one is seriously your bog standard crafting system. Collect 5 spider webs and 2 pieces of iron to construct a grappling hook. Use grappling hook and check against acrobatics skill for success. Not sure why that worries you. The second one seems more meaningless than unobtainable. It's the kind of promise I've heard a lot over the last twenty years for various dungeon crawlers and RPGs and I'm still not sure what the point is or why it's meant to be fun. Also I'm pretty sure every time it's been promised, it has either not shown up or underdelivered, so there's that.

The reason is that it seems like every game with that kind of crafting is either really obtuse in its execution, and underdelivers, or is pretty much handled by the community, like starbound, minecraft, and skyrim.

Also, after watching Star citizen explode into Chris Roberts agreeing to whatever will make you sign checks, I'm jaded. I'm always wary of a game with vague, "emergent" goals.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go look at pictures of my spaceship.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Sega delayed Alpha Protocol and then refused to let Obsidian use the delay time to work on polishing the game. It's probably one of the best examples of publisher interference loving up games of all time.
KOTOR 2 was far worse. Obsidian barely ever caught a break until they pitched Eternity.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

You are so bad with money that it qualifies as a mental illness.
He might just be rich enough that it doesn't really matter.

I mean hell, if I was a multi-millionaire I'd probably fund a few projects I really liked at the $5,000 or $10,000 levels just to stroke my own ego.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Accordion Man posted:

KOTOR 2 was far worse. Obsidian barely ever caught a break until they pitched Eternity.

They finally got to delay a game!

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Great Joe posted:

hey, obsidian? yeah, it's sega, yeaaaahhhhhhhhhh im gonna need you to make alpha protocol more rpg-ish. yeah no, don't let the player use a pistol like they would in an fps from the get-go, lock that behind a big experience point gate. also if you dont do this were shutting you down, okay? thaaaaaaaaaanks

-an actual thing that happened

Do you have a source for this? It'd be great to hear all the things that went wrong in Alpha Protocol's development. I thought it was a great game, but I could easily believe that it was the product of some extensive meddling.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kenshin posted:

He might just be rich enough that it doesn't really matter.

I mean hell, if I was a multi-millionaire I'd probably fund a few projects I really liked at the $5,000 or $10,000 levels just to stroke my own ego.

I've beaten myself up several times in the past few years on bad business decisions I've made. Not in that I've backed kickstarters too much at too high a tier, but that I wasn't making enough money to back even more.

If only I was some cool rich person who could spend money on his childhood dreams instead of a moderately poor person doing the same despite it being a bad idea :saddowns:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

A video from Tim re Broken Age:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnY0TdkXZwI

Includes a defense of everyone's favorite game developer, Mr. Molyneux.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Just because you got millions doesn't make you not a stupid for backing bad things. I got a good amount of disposable income but I've only ever backed Barkley 2, Hyper Light Drifter, and Drift Stage and I think the latter two were at the most basic "get the game" tier.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Litany Unheard posted:

Includes a defense of everyone's favorite game developer, Mr. Molyneux.
A lot of developers are coming out to bat for Molyneux, and frankly it comes off faintly as fear that developers such as themselves are going to be held accountable for their budgeting mistakes.

Honestly I'm not sure why they don't see why Molyneux is a special case. Schafer has trouble budgeting but I never believe that he's deliberately trying to deceive me and he is in fact delivering Broken Age. Molyneux just lies in everyone's face all the time and doesn't bat an eyelid at veering his project in a total different direction from promised.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

and Alpha Protocol STILL managed to be the best game of last gen

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Accordion Man posted:

As I remember it, Lucas Arts told Obsidian that they would have X extra months for development beyond what was initially scheduled. Obsidian altered their schedule to take the extra time into account. Lucas Arts then came to Obsidian and said that not only would they not get the extra time but also that they needed the game RIGHT NOW and didn't care that it wasn't anywhere close to being finished yet. So Obsidian scrambled to get everything pulled together in a very short amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Great Rumbler posted:

As I remember it, Lucas Arts told Obsidian that they would have X extra months for development beyond what was initially scheduled. Obsidian altered their schedule to take the extra time into account. Lucas Arts then came to Obsidian and said that not only would they not get the extra time but also that they needed the game RIGHT NOW and didn't care that it wasn't anywhere close to being finished yet. So Obsidian scrambled to get everything pulled together in a very short amount of time.
And when Obsidian offered to patch in what got cut, LucasArts completely shut it down.