Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Knyteguy posted:

My wife and I both acknowledge that we suck at groceries. I dunno what to do except itemize everything and post it here for input, which I'll do to see if anyone sees some glaring issues with or something (which would be appreciated).

Start a google drive spreadsheet, share it with the thread.

After you go shopping take a few minutes to go through and record what you paid for everything. If you bought something you bought before, it should be on the spreadsheet already. Record what you paid this time and keep a running average.

Here, this is the piece of crap we use. Red is Safeway, where we buy fresh veggies and more perishable items, and blue is Costco. Sometimes we buy a thing in both places and it's a little confusing because Costco poo poo comes in bulk.

If you have a smartphone, pull up the list while in the store and you can compare the price of something to your running average. If you don't, try to look at the list before you leave, or print it out. You'll know when a deal is actually a deal.

You'd be surprised how much the price of stuff can swing. Produce especially. Apples can triple in price from week to week around me.

We got lazy with the sheet after a while, but we collected enough data on our staples to have a good handle on what they cost. We know if chicken is super expensive for some reason, and can adapt. We don't need to pull up the list anymore for the stuff we buy regularly.

Something like this would also help you lay out the actual food you eat and what you really spend on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

My wife and I both acknowledge that we suck at groceries. I dunno what to do except itemize everything and post it here for input, which I'll do to see if anyone sees some glaring issues with or something (which would be appreciated).

I think you should itemize the food you already have, as well. I don't see how you simultaneously have a freezer full of food and nothing to eat. Is it just that you'd rather buy something fresh/prepackaged instead of eating what you do have?

imabanana
May 26, 2006
You wouldn't read creditboards.com but at least read this if you're going to work on your credit:

http://whychat.5u.com/

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Knyteguy posted:

Extrude any news for you? Hope you had your baby at least.

:( Nope we're still waiting. I really wish the language around due dates was more like, "here is a four week period where you can expect your baby and then after that we can talk induction" rather than this emphasis on a specific date. It's really loving with me and it's probably loving with your wife. Make sure she gets plenty of support and keep telling her that up to 42 weeks is still full-term/normal and even if it goes past that and you need to induce, in the end you get a baby so try to focus on that part. (Though BFC-wise, I hope neither of us hit induction since that will be another thing on the medical bills...)

Also some general tips on grocery shopping I'm sure you've heard but just in case: don't shop hungry and always shop with a plan. Definitely try to itemize the next few trips and see how much you spend on impulse/unneeded purchases because you might be really surprised. That poo poo adds up quick.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Also some general tips on grocery shopping I'm sure you've heard but just in case: don't shop hungry and always shop with a plan. Definitely try to itemize the next few trips and see how much you spend on impulse/unneeded purchases because you might be really surprised. That poo poo adds up quick.

don't know how helpful this is, but we have done much better on our grocery budget by doing online groceries, like from Safeway etc. We can still use our reward cards, but the impulse OOO LOOK SHINY PKG thing is done for us. Once a month we go to the other store and get meat to freeze, but we have been able to keep our food budget from going over by doing this. Its not for everyone, I know, but for me and my husband it been a real help on keeping us on track for getting just what we need on our list, and not all the incidentals.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

My official Equifax score from that secured credit card is 568, so grain of salt and all with Credit Karma.

This number is a lot closer to what I would expect with that many accounts in collections. Not to be a dick, but this should quell any idea that you are going to refinance your car any time soon. No one is going to refinance a car that far under water with 10+ accounts and $20,000+ in collections with a 568 credit score.

Keep your head down, save, build a solid emergency fund, adjust to living with a baby. In a perfect world you'll have $10k-$20k+ saved by the end of the year and then you can make decision on what you want to do with it (I would personally pay down the car before stirring up poo poo with what you have in collections).

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
KG, I believe your plan is to have your wife return to work after 6-8 weeks or whatever. How flexible are your jobs for when your kid gets sick? My daughter just started daycare and surprise surprise she got an awful cold her second week there, she spiked a fever so she had to go home and cannot return for 24 hours (which means out the next day too). How are you guys going to deal with stuff like that? My wife and I have a good workplace that allows a lot of flexibility so it's not an issue for us thankfully.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Bugamol posted:

This number is a lot closer to what I would expect with that many accounts in collections. Not to be a dick, but this should quell any idea that you are going to refinance your car any time soon. No one is going to refinance a car that far under water with 10+ accounts and $20,000+ in collections with a 568 credit score.

Keep your head down, save, build a solid emergency fund, adjust to living with a baby. In a perfect world you'll have $10k-$20k+ saved by the end of the year and then you can make decision on what you want to do with it (I would personally pay down the car before stirring up poo poo with what you have in collections).
I have to agree here. And based on my own scores, the credit karma score is surely overstating your real FICO score by a fair amount.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
If you want to save money on groceries start shopping at Walmart.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Walmart only saves an average of 19 cents per trip so unless one is really close its not worth the gas difference.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

On what? Walmart groceries are noticeably cheaper than the other places in my area.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

n8r posted:

On what? Walmart groceries are noticeably cheaper than the other places in my area.

Not all Walmarts sell groceries. Only super Walmarts and Walmart markets. On a phone right now but there was a study a while back that showed on an average shopping trip it won't be much better. It fits my own experience. Plus Walmart groceries have been horrific poo poo in my experience. Bruised produce was the standard when I lived in TN and had Walmarts. Don't have em in Seattle but last time I went to one was in Hawaii because it was close and I walked out because the quality was poo poo. Drove to a local place and paid the same prices for better quality.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

n8r posted:

If you want to save money on groceries start shopping at Walmart Aldi's.

Fixed that for you.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Why deal with walmart when you can just go to costco?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

OK - If your Walmart sells groceries, it's a good place to shop. My local Walmart is neither a super or a market and it's got a full grocery section YMMV. I personally find costco a difficult place to shop for a small number of people, especially fresh stuff. The portions are just too large, so even if it's cheap on a per lb. basis you end up throwing away stuff.

The pre-made frozen section is also quite expensive at Costco - and a lot of it is not terribly healthy choices. I'm sure Costco can work great for some people and some families, but most people should probably be mixing in shopping at non-bulk stores as well. I don't really understand how KG is spending over $400 per month on groceries and still spending $100 on eating out. If I had to guess, there is a lot of pre-prepared expensive food being purchased and a fair bit of expensive proteins as well.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hey everyone thanks for the grocery stuff I will get back to that soon.

The baby was born yesterday. Everything went fairly well. The labor started at 2:45am and he was born at 1:51pm. 7lbs 1oz.

I don't have many details about the cost or anything like that yet, but they're being discharged sometime this afternoon so at least we don't need to pay for 2 days.

Anyway glad it's over. Extrude best of luck! If your son isn't here then I hope he comes soon!

E regarding groceries we shop at a place called smiths which is called something else some other places, but the cheap place to shop here I called winco for non-bulk. I'll post more details soon. Thanks.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Congratulations buddy! :woop: You're a daddy now :)

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed
Congrats KG!

Glad to hear everything went well. Enjoy the honeymoon.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Woo! Congrats!

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Oh my! Congratulations!

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Congrats!

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
Congratulations!

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

Congrats Knyteguy & Janus Owl!!! Glad to hear it all went well.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Congrats and good luck!

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Be the best dad you can be, buddy.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Congratulations! :3:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Congrats you two!

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013
Congrats buddy. I hope SloMo is toasting the birth with champagne and caviar somewhere...

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Congratulations Knyteguy and Janus Owl! I remember the announcement and holy poo poo that did not feel that long ago. Good luck on this journey from here on out.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Congrats man.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Great news KG, post some baby pics soon :)

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Congratulations KG! Sounds like everything went about as well as you could expect!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Aw yeah! Congrats, and enjoy teaching that little bundle everything about the world it just entered :3:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Nocheez posted:

Aw yeah! Congrats, and enjoy teaching that little bundle everything about the world it just entered :3:
"Welcome to the world. You get used to it after a while."

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Congrats KG and Janus Owl!

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!
Congrats!

Shats Basoon
Jun 13, 2013

nice, probably can get 10K for the kid on the black market. use that to finish the emergency fund and pay down the car a bit

seriously though, congratulations

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I bet you can get 50k for that kid on the white market if you know what i mean.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
dat Child Equity

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imabanana
May 26, 2006
Congratulations! Enjoy this time, it's precious.

• Locked thread