Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Just to be clear: the launcher will show the values from the installed ini, not the MO ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Seashell Salesman posted:

Just to be clear: the launcher will show the values from the installed ini, not the MO ones.

In that case this poo poo is extra hosed, because my /Fallout New Vegas .ini clearly has the correct DarnUI [Fonts] listed.

I don't think a reinstall of MO back to program files would work, do you? Putting poo poo in x86 program files usually makes things worse, and I ultimately don't think that it would matter where it goes.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

In that case this poo poo is extra hosed, because my /Fallout New Vegas .ini clearly has the correct DarnUI [Fonts] listed.
You don't have to modify your ini for DarnifiedUI if you use UIO. I didn't think the launcher options menu showed fonts anyhow, though?

quote:

I don't think a reinstall of MO back to program files would work, do you? Putting poo poo in x86 program files usually makes things worse, and I ultimately don't think that it would matter where it goes.
You shouldn't have problems with it in Program Files (x86). Why would you want to install it to the amd64 Program Files?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

To check to see if your DarnUi issue is a NVSE thing or a fonts thing, open the console ingame with the tilde key and type in "getnvseversion" without quotes. If it returns a value then NVSE is working.

Also you should just get UIO and add that to MO, it fixes everything HUD related.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Just tried to start MO up again, and now it's behaving entirely different than ever before.

When I tell it to run FNV4GB.exe, MO gives me a prompt asking me if I am drat sure I want to run this as an elevated position. It never did that before, so I click yes and it runs fine enough. The game loads, into it's letterbox resolution, but if I alt tab the windows flash and then it looks like it's running in fullscreen mode. At least, I can't see the thick blue window bar at the top anymore, but in the very corners of the screen I can see what looks like my desktop.

getnvseversion returned 4, so that's working. Now I just have no idea of knowing if the 4GB thing is working and if this is all just some cruel Groundhog Day-esque torture.

What is UIO?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Aside from power armour, combat helmets, and NCR ranger helmets, is there any headwear that takes advantage of Project Nevada's enhanced vision modes?

Spice of Life adds numerous types of night vision equipment but requires you to use specific body models.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Just tried to start MO up again, and now it's behaving entirely different than ever before.

When I tell it to run FNV4GB.exe, MO gives me a prompt asking me if I am drat sure I want to run this as an elevated position. It never did that before, so I click yes and it runs fine enough. The game loads, into it's letterbox resolution, but if I alt tab the windows flash and then it looks like it's running in fullscreen mode. At least, I can't see the thick blue window bar at the top anymore, but in the very corners of the screen I can see what looks like my desktop.

getnvseversion returned 4, so that's working. Now I just have no idea of knowing if the 4GB thing is working and if this is all just some cruel Groundhog Day-esque torture.

What is UIO?

UI Organizer.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I am washing my hands of this whole god drat experience.

I discovered, after a search, that there was still a Mod Organizer in my x86 Program Files folder even after I deleted it. I chalked up the loving problems of my C:\Games\Mod Organizer problems due to this double MO thing conflicting with itself. I searched the whole PC for 'mod organ' and deleted every trace of it. I tried to reinstall Mod Organizer from TES Nexus and I get the following errors:

The .exe installer does not ever run. It just sits there after I double click it, and the .zip extractor gives me the following message:

The extraction has every single file corrupt and not working. Never mind that two days ago when I started trying to do this these two exact same files worked just fine. I've gone from a few glitchy problems, to outright problematic behavior, to outright fullblown rebellion. This Fallout New Vegas modification procedure is NOT meant for me. I can either play the vanilla game with all its lovely bugginess or just uninstall it.

I am literally beside myself with profound confusion, frustration, and bewilderment. What minor deity did I so egregiously offend to warrant such a punishment? What wizard's familiar did I run over on my way to work to draw the necromancers ire? Why in the name of piss will this not work?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Maybe install team viewer or something and let some fine gentleman who knows what they're doing fix it?

An idea (not an offer).

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

ThaumPenguin posted:

Yeah, his computer is haunted. By wizards.

Is not

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Vanilla New Vegas is pretty stable on the PC compared to the console versions, actually. At the very least, I don't remember having any issues during my first playthrough back in 2010.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

Maybe install team viewer or something and let some fine gentleman who knows what they're doing fix it?

An idea (not an offer).

I offered plat for someone to remote desktop in.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

You could try following the Utilities and Setting up Mod Organizer sections of this guide here.

I already have plat, but if that doesn't work for you I'd be willing to remote in and have a look at some point. I'd consider myself fairly adept with modding FNV.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

have you tried using FOMM instead of MO? It's clunky but I still use it. gets the job done.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm just throwing poo poo at a wall here, but I had issues with the /exes/ subfolder created with FNV4GB once upon a time trying to get FOMM, FNV4GB, NVSE, and all that working together. I ended up copying an awful lot of poo poo in there to get everything to fire correctly. Check and see if yours has these:
  • d3d9.dll - for ENB if you have one
  • FalloutNV.4gb
  • FalloutNV.exe
  • FalloutNV.Hardcoded.keep.this.with.the.exe.and.otherwise.ignore.it.I.really.mean.it.dat
  • nvse_1_4.dll
  • nvse_1_4.map
  • nvse_1_4ng.dll
  • nvse_editor_1_4.dll
  • nvse_loader.exe
  • nvse_steam_loader.dll

I don't use MO for FNV so I'm not sure if it affects this. If it does, you'll have to edit files in MO using the MO menus to get poo poo to stick based on using it for Skyrim. For New Vegas, FOMM has always done the job for me.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
oh yeah and I figured out my EVE problem. I had the normal all-dlc EVE .esp AND the EVE TIS .esp checked :downs:

delta534
Sep 2, 2011
Make sure that the folder permissions are not hosed up on both the steam folder and MO's folder. Here is how you check them out http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-are-permissions#1TC=windows-7. You will need write, modify and execute permissions on for users for it to work right.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Apparently some mod or another that I have added a craftable dirty bomb. It does 5500 damage, has a blast radius of stupid, and adds 180+ rads/sec at ground zero, and has a timer of about a second and a half.

It's hilarious, but what exactly is the point?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Apparently some mod or another that I have added a craftable dirty bomb. It does 5500 damage, has a blast radius of stupid, and adds 180+ rads/sec at ground zero, and has a timer of about a second and a half.

Have you installed AAS

You should see what it does with Wild Wasteland enabled

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Flagrant Abuse posted:

That the suitcase nukes mod?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Have you installed AAS
Apparently, yes! I'd forgotten that The Armory comes bundled with it, and I didn't know that it added new craftable explosives, either.

And adding the Wild Wasteland perk doesn't seem to have changed anything with it, even after crafting a fresh one. What's it supposed to do with WW?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Why isn't everything on the left side checked with a check mark, and why are they 'Unmanaged'? Could that have something to do with it?
"Unmanaged" usually means it's something you installed outside of Mod Organizer. it's in the real game folder, and MO just lets you know that it's there, and it's not trying to manage it for you.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

The extraction has every single file corrupt and not working. Never mind that two days ago when I started trying to do this these two exact same files worked just fine.

quote:

Whenever I try to edit the .ini with the MO organizer, I get an error stating "failed to write to C:/Games/Mod Organizer/profiles/Default/fallout.ini" What in the gently caress is MOs problem?
The first one seems like a problem with UAC and Program Files (depending on the ZIP program you use, it might not be trying to give you the UAC prompt to get permission). You could try extracting the folder elsewhere, then dragging it into your Program Files folder where you want it.

But the second one shouldn't be covered by UAC, so I'm leaning toward that ghosts theory. :psyduck:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

What President Goku's problem sounds like is a hardware problem, in the "whip out Prime95, CrystalDiskInfo, and memtest86+ and pray" sense. It should not be having problems with literally everything down to and including 7-zip.

Although I would be curious as to what his computer's made of and how old it is.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Sir Unimaginative posted:

What President Goku's problem sounds like is a hardware problem, in the "whip out Prime95, CrystalDiskInfo, and memtest86+ and pray" sense. It should not be having problems with literally everything down to and including 7-zip.

Although I would be curious as to what his computer's made of and how old it is.

That would explain his modding issues with Vampire the Masquerade, because otherwise these problems literally shouldn't happen unless my wizard ghost (ghost wizard?) theory is correct.

But seriously PRESIDENT GOKU, there is something seriously wrong with your computer. Maybe.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 19, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Are there any good ESP-less sky replacers out there?

e: For vanilla weather

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Gyshall posted:

Are there any good ESP-less sky replacers out there?

e: For vanilla weather

Are you looking for daytime or nighttime sky replacements? Or both?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have the night time ones, but I just want the day time cloud/sky textures to be less lovely.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The only day mod I know of is EWI's Clouds which claims to require a bunch of weather mod stuff but you could try it without and see if it works for you.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Right now I have Vurt's Flora mod and I tweaked my ini to beef up the grass, what else can I do to make the world feel more overgrown and less straight up wrecked?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I seem to be running into issues with WMX, I have it installed along with everything for EVE and the updated texture pack, but I dont get any of the actual mods. I get the notes added about all of them, but no options when I look at the mod menu.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Right now I have Vurt's Flora mod and I tweaked my ini to beef up the grass, what else can I do to make the world feel more overgrown and less straight up wrecked?

More Grass + Enhanced Grass (I only use Enhanced Grass myself)

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

definitely 'more grass' if you wanna just cover up a lot of that empty land

you get some pretty ok looking grass fields out of it too

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Are there any mods that make the game more like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. with a bigger focus on the FPS combat versus the VATS combat? I've always disliked VATS in the modern Fallout games. It feels really clunky and just takes me right out of the game. Project Nevada seems cool, but I don't know if that'll do what I want. Is there anything better than that, or is that going to be my go to?

In the meantime, I'll reinstall the metric poo poo-ton of weapon mods that I remember loving before. I can't wait to spend more time modding the game than playing it! :v:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

JAssassin posted:

Are there any mods that make the game more like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. with a bigger focus on the FPS combat versus the VATS combat? I've always disliked VATS in the modern Fallout games. It feels really clunky and just takes me right out of the game. Project Nevada seems cool, but I don't know if that'll do what I want. Is there anything better than that, or is that going to be my go to?

In the meantime, I'll reinstall the metric poo poo-ton of weapon mods that I remember loving before. I can't wait to spend more time modding the game than playing it! :v:

I think most of the combat is too hardcoded to do much about.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

ThaumPenguin posted:

I think most of the combat is too hardcoded to do much about.

Dang. Oh well, I'll see if I can find some combination that works well for me.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PN does let you tweak combat and it adds a bullet-time effect that uses AP so you can choose to skip VATS and instead use BT as needed. So as far as changing the actual functions of combat, it's your best option and it's configurable like crazy so you can get what you want (or at least, what it offers) without stuff you don't want.

NV is better than FO3 combat but realtime in both is never going to be super satisfying.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

even with mods that make the combat more fps-like/lethal, another big issue is that the AI is pretty weak (for obvious reasons) and just tends to die incredibly simply to basic 'pop out and shoot' strategy unless they significantly outnumber you or outequip you

also i don't know if it's a mod or something doing it but a lot of guns feel real bad because there's this real weird pause between the gun firing off and the bullets actually hitting them- it's most apparent with shotguns when they instakill something

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Gyshall posted:

More Grass + Enhanced Grass (I only use Enhanced Grass myself)

So More grass will add even more grass on top of my ini tweaks? How bad is it on perf? Enhanced Grass just increases wind sway?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

So More grass will add even more grass on top of my ini tweaks? How bad is it on perf? Enhanced Grass just increases wind sway?

yes, it adds a lot of grass. i don't know how but i assume it's by tweaking some value on the terrain paints for grass 'cuz it affects everything, from the capitol wasteland to DLC areas

here's some comparison shots to see how much it changes (ignore the different lighting, i'm gonna assume that's the weather switching on loading the game which is pretty bizarre):
off:

on:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Looks great. Is that an actual area in the game?