Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NotALizardman posted:

Seriously though, Sekai is just kind of inoffensive and bland. I'm not sure where all the hate for him is coming from. He's just a generic shounen protagonist.

This is exactly the point, he has no personality at all. Even the typical generic shounen protagonist at least shows interest in a girl or something of their own initiative. Sekai just stands and smiles while following everyone else like an autistic pet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Swagger Dagger posted:

I still think Try is a good show :shobon:

It's just not as good as season 1.

Yeah, the wasted potential is what hurts the most, after all

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm trying to learn what's wrong with you! WHY ARE YOU CRYING WHEN I PUNCH YOUR FACE?!

God, now I'm just picturing Sekai being arrested for spousal abuse or punching his girlfriend on a date due to fightman autism.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I dislike Sekai even more than before now that we've seen the Star Winning, because that thing is by far the coolest gunpla this season and easily one of my favorites across the whole of gundam. And any time Sekai is on screen is time that the Star Winning is not.

God drat I can't wait for my kit of it to ship.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ka0 posted:

My gunpla is a schussrum-gallus with titus-shoulders for fists and a high-mobility zulu backpack.

Mine is still a Rose Gundam painted to look like Utena. It does the cheap dash attack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJY3YGbzO3Q

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Generic shonen protagonists are honestly pretty bad though. Their real strength comes from their interaction with side characters, and so far Try has been doing almost everything in its power to avoid that.

I mean hell, at this point in the first show, every episode started off with the whole cast gathered in Sei's room shooting the poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NotALizardman posted:

Seriously though, Sekai is just kind of inoffensive and bland. I'm not sure where all the hate for him is coming from. He's just a generic shounen protagonist.

I think that's sort of the problem. Sekai is sort of generic shonen protagonist taken to a T. He has no strong personality traits, characterization, motivation, anything. Someone like Naruto is a generic shonen protagonist but he's at least got a personality and motivation and flaws and poo poo. Sekai is like a person-shaped black hole of charisma. He isn't an offensively bad character or anything but it would be more interesting if he was. An offensively bad character at least is usually offensively bad because they try to do something and fail at it.

But the show dedicates so much screentime to him. No fewer than three major female cast members have a crush on him. He's the Ace of the team, he's the star of almost every fight, the show just dedicates so much time to a character who could be replaced by a Haro and nothing would change in the story.

I mean I don't hate Sekai because hating Sekai would require him to have enough personality traits or character for me to care about him in any way but 'god, can we stop focusing on Sekai and go back to the other characters already?"

Edit:
This is partially influenced by me wanting to see more Star Winning Gundam because I've enjoyed the hell out of every fight that machine has had so far. :allears:

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 19, 2015

Caros
May 14, 2008

chumbler posted:

I dislike Sekai even more than before now that we've seen the Star Winning, because that thing is by far the coolest gunpla this season and easily one of my favorites across the whole of gundam. And any time Sekai is on screen is time that the Star Winning is not.

They really, really would have been better off having Fumina as the star of the show.

Her gundam is the most creative, with the most interesting gimmicks. It is flashier and she is clearly the leader of the team. Unlike Sekai she's actually driven and has goals beyond "Fight the next toughest guy" and it would have been fantastic to have her follow the same character arc.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I think that's sort of the problem. Sekai is sort of generic shonen protagonist taken to a T. He has no strong personality traits, characterization, motivation, anything. Someone like Naruto is a generic shonen protagonist but he's at least got a personality and motivation and flaws and poo poo. Sekai is like a person-shaped black hole of charisma. He isn't an offensively bad character or anything but it would be more interesting if he was. An offensively bad character at least is usually offensively bad because they try to do something and fail at it.

But the show dedicates so much screentime to him. No fewer than three major female cast members have a crush on him. He's the Ace of the team, he's the star of almost every fight, the show just dedicates so much time to a character who could be replaced by a Haro and nothing would change in the story.

Jigen Haro Ryu. :aaaaa:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Swagger Dagger posted:

This is my opinion as well. I can't imagine seeing Sekai as worse than Kira or Kio when his sin is a sin of tedium. However...

ImpAtom posted:

I'm starting to feel this way as well. Honestly ImpAtom I thought initially you were a little overblown with your hatred of Sekai, but then I realized I have felt exactly the same things as you with the exact same intensity as you back when I watched Digimon Xros Wars. I absolutely hated Taiki from that show and it's for precisely the same reasons you can't stand Sekai, he was a vacant space in need of filling. Sekai and Taiki aren't even an archetypal characters they're so thin, the writers never even got far enough into sketching them to call them thinly sketched.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I can think of two good things about Sekai. I'll know the kanji for Jigen Haoh by heart when it's added to Super Robot Wars, and I still kinda like the phoenix attack, and I look forward to a doofy as hell phoenix attack vs dark phoenix attack followed by improved phoenix attack. Then I'll shut off SaGa Frontier and watch the same thing happen in Build Fighters Try.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sekai; Can still be summed up with a single emote; :downs:.

Sei had no arc in the original show either. He had more personality, emotion and charm and he bounced off his cast a lot better, but his arc was essentially "oh, and suddenly I'm a great fighter because I learned to stop caring about damaging my toys". Reiji had even less. He enabled characterization in others, Aila and Sei most directly really, but did he even have one of his own? Learning to be a better fight is kind of about it. I guess I should also include Sei learning to stop being bound by the suit's in show capabilities, but my point is that the characterization for the main two characters in the original was pretty sparse at the end of the day.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 19, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TARDISman posted:

I can think of two good things about Sekai. I'll know the kanji for Jigen Haoh by heart when it's added to Super Robot Wars, and I still kinda like the phoenix attack, and I look forward to a doofy as hell phoenix attack vs dark phoenix attack followed by improved phoenix attack. Then I'll shut off SaGa Frontier and watch the same thing happen in Build Fighters Try.

Sekai got no chance against the Time Lord.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kira might be a bland protagonist but he has his own character arc and he changes throughout the course of his show.

Hell, for as poorly handled as Kio is, at least you can say he has a character arc.

Being dull is worse than being terrible.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Caros posted:

They really, really would have been better off having Fumina as the star of the show.

Her gundam is the most creative, with the most interesting gimmicks. It is flashier and she is clearly the leader of the team. Unlike Sekai she's actually driven and has goals beyond "Fight the next toughest guy" and it would have been fantastic to have her follow the same character arc.

Well unfortunately the show is already made, so they cant change it now. Instead I propose we all make predictions for the rest of the season in the form of pretending we are the corporate meddlers:

"This season isn't doing very well. Have you tried adding more customized Exias'? Needs more Exia. Next episode give me like 2 more."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Sei had no arc in the original show either. He had more personality, emotion and charm and he bounced off his cast a lot better, but his arc was essentially "oh, and suddenly I'm a great fighter because I learned to stop caring about damaging my toys". Reiji had even less. He enabled characterization in others, Aila and Sei most directly really, but did he even have one of his own? Learning to be a better fight is kind of about it. I guess I should also include Sei learning to stop being bound by the suit's in show capabilities, the characterization for the main two characters in the original was pretty sparse at the end of the day.

Yeah, Sei's arc was honestly pretty bad if you look at it on its own. He learned to believe in himself and his love of Gunpla. Reiji leaned to be a bit less of a dick. They both really carried it by having good personalities and a strong supporting cast.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Blackchamber posted:

Well unfortunately the show is already made, so they cant change it now. Instead I propose we all make predictions for the rest of the season in the form of pretending we are the corporate meddlers:

"This season isn't doing very well. Have you tried adding more customized Exias'? Needs more Exia. Next episode give me like 2 more."

"This season isn't doing very well. Cancel the next season."

:(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

One, Sekai needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Sekai's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Sekai"? Three-...

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
S1's plot was hilarious because they shelved it like seven episodes in to focus on Cool Fights, and then they hit the end and were like "oh crap, we never did resolve Sei and Reiji's stories, quick shove something in".

But the fights really were cool so I don't begrudge them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I still want a season of Sei working as a Gunpla police while travelling the world to promote Gunpla, then being drawn in to a plot to stop the Gunpla Mafia doing...something or other. He doesnt' enter any tournaments or anything, he just has exhibition fights and fights against the Gunpla Mafia. Nils, Meijin, Fellini and co can all appear in minor roles, his dad is his supervisor but his seniority due to a promotion means he can spend more time at home with his wife and attract increased business while teaching kids the fun of gunpla and so on.

Now that we have Try, Fumina can join him as a junior detective or something. Just imagine them kicking down the door to some mafia front business, Gunpla in hand and shouting at everyone to put their hands up or they'll play. And they'll play hard man, they'll play HARD!

Edit: What kind of poo poo would Gunpla Mafia even do? Fixing games like their involvement in the first season? Knock off Gunpla and Gunpla factories? Gunpla running? Illegal Gunpla trade in countries where Gunpla is prohibited or in scarce supply? I really want to see some more of those guys.

tsob fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 19, 2015

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Caros posted:

God, now I'm just picturing Sekai being arrested for spousal abuse or punching his girlfriend on a date due to fightman autism.

No chance. No one will actually be in place to get punched by the time he finishes announcing the attack.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

chumbler posted:

Same, I've got an order sitting in the hlj warehouse waiting for it to come out so I can get the whole upgraded team sent out (and the totally dope Thunderbolt Zaku I).

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Blackchamber posted:

Also everyone pair up and choose rivals arbitrarily. When you see that person post nod your head knowingly and say 'thats my rival'. Lets bring the fun home.

That's a ridiculous idea, why would we want to pick a rival based off the most spurious reasons we can find as if we're bad anime chara...

ImpAtom posted:

One, Sekai needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Sekai's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Sekai"? Three-...

I already made that joke an episode ago! :argh: I'll see you in the finals, rival!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

NotALizardman posted:

Seriously though, Sekai is just kind of inoffensive and bland. I'm not sure where all the insanely hyperbolic hate for him is coming from. He's just a generic shounen protagonist.

Maybe some people really hate karate. I really don't know at this point.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Great episode, love the Akuma subplot.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sekai got no chance against the Time Lord.

Oh please, you can't fight Time Lord on the Red quest. Goddamn I love that storyline. And I half want to try making an M-Black III custom Gunpla now. poo poo.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Swagger Dagger posted:

Yeah I'm pretty much with you here. :shobon::hf::shobon:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Maybe season 3 will be underground, street-gunpla, with a scrappy protaganist who knows how to cheat.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Next season will feature gunpla battle on motorcycles.

And by that I mean all the gunpla will be riding little motorcycles and it will be adorable. :3:

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Raxivace posted:

And by that I mean all the gunpla will be riding little motorcycles and it will be adorable. :3:

Only if Fellini is a big focus. He did it before it was cool. :colbert:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Now I'm imagining Fellini getting pissy about all those drat kids stealing his idea. :allears:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Every Gunpla will ride that monocycle from Victory

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
I don't especially hate or like Sekai because, in spite of what one might think, he isn't the main protagonist. He's a protagonist, yes, and he's a fairly standard and almost cliche shounen protagonist, but not the main one. Sekai isn't the second coming of Reiji, he's a poor man's Reiji.

The real main protagonist is Fumina. Fumina is this season's Sei. A better fighter than he was, starting off, and nowhere near the fanboy he was, but they hit much the same tropes over the shows' respective runs. She's also been the one really setting things in motion, the one who's been working the hardest to improve both herself and her team. She's been the one who is the focus of the newer credits. The series didn't start with Sekai, it started with her.

And in this way, it's that the show's biggest flaw is playing things "safer" by putting more emphasis on Sekai than her. It's moving the spotlight away from its main protagonist and putting it on a lesser protagonist. Reiji and Sei were fairly balanced, with Sei (as the main protagonist) keeping the right amount of focus while Reiji worked more in small bursts (compare Reiji's training to Sekai's, for example). They were also able to work off each other and the secondary characters really well.

TRY is still fun. Flawed, but fun. Biggest thing dampening people's enjoyment, I'd think, is it's coming off of a better previous season. If there's a next season, I'd hope they see the flaws of this one and work to improve upon it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The fights are boring as poo poo and way shorter

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Level Slide posted:

Every Gunpla will ride that monocycle from Victory

Perfect Zeong riding that wheeled battleship from Victory as the final boss.
EDIT: Adrastea, that's what it was called.

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 19, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KaosMachina posted:

Perfect Zeong surfing that wheeled battleship from Victory as the final boss.
EDIT: Adrastea, that's what it was called.

I don't think you get the true spirit of Gunpla Battle :colbert:.

StrifeHira posted:

I don't especially hate or like Sekai because, in spite of what one might think, he isn't the main protagonist. He's a protagonist, yes, and he's a fairly standard and almost cliche shounen protagonist, but not the main one. Sekai isn't the second coming of Reiji, he's a poor man's Reiji.

The real main protagonist is Fumina. Fumina is this season's Sei. A better fighter than he was, starting off, and nowhere near the fanboy he was, but they hit much the same tropes over the shows' respective runs. She's also been the one really setting things in motion, the one who's been working the hardest to improve both herself and her team. She's been the one who is the focus of the newer credits. The series didn't start with Sekai, it started with her.

And in this way, it's that the show's biggest flaw is playing things "safer" by putting more emphasis on Sekai than her. It's moving the spotlight away from its main protagonist and putting it on a lesser protagonist. Reiji and Sei were fairly balanced, with Sei (as the main protagonist) keeping the right amount of focus while Reiji worked more in small bursts (compare Reiji's training to Sekai's, for example). They were also able to work off each other and the secondary characters really well.

TRY is still fun. Flawed, but fun. Biggest thing dampening people's enjoyment, I'd think, is it's coming off of a better previous season. If there's a next season, I'd hope they see the flaws of this one and work to improve upon it.

I agree. I still reckon Fumina was on the drawing board from the start as the main character, right up until someone lost their goddamn mind at the thought of a Gundam series with a female protagonist and made the writers shift focus to Sekai. Of the three protagonists, she's the most fleshed-out one. Plus with her as the all-rounder, they'd have had room to show her improving her Gunpla-building by learning from Yuuma and improving her fighting ability with Sekai to get some basic character interaction going.

tsob posted:

Sei had no arc in the original show either. He had more personality, emotion and charm and he bounced off his cast a lot better, but his arc was essentially "oh, and suddenly I'm a great fighter because I learned to stop caring about damaging my toys". Reiji had even less. He enabled characterization in others, Aila and Sei most directly really, but did he even have one of his own? Learning to be a better fight is kind of about it. I guess I should also include Sei learning to stop being bound by the suit's in show capabilities, but my point is that the characterization for the main two characters in the original was pretty sparse at the end of the day.

While that's true, both Sei and Reiji had personality. Reiji didn't just start playing and winning, once Ral showed him the Zeon Bar he kept going back on his own initiative to train and practice against Fellini right up until the start of the first major fight. And hell, even Sei being a raving Gundam fanboy at least fleshes him out more than Sekai has ever been. They both interacted and played off each-other in general conversations, as well as just hanging out with their fellow fighters. Sekai's held like maybe three or four conversations with Yuuma and Fumina that didn't end in "Try Fighters; GO FIGHT!"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have to say I love this season's system announcer. He could only be more hype if he was literally a pro wrestling announcer. Also Sekai sucks, etc., and I notice Junya's gunpla has a Wing eye noise, but it certainly doesn't look like it's based on one.

The Denial is also way cooler than Try Burning.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 19, 2015

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I don't dislike Sekai. It's a pity he's the main character rather than someone more interesting, but he's at least inoffensively bland and a nice guy. There were a lot of things they could have done to make him interesting which they failed to, mind. What I really object to is Sekai vs Junya, because Junya has (in my opinion) turned out to be incredibly bland too. When they're fighting each other it's as if their blandness combines and intensifies greatly...

I do like the way that Sekai and Mirai interact, though. They understand each other well.

Shia had the right idea when she decided that Fumina would be her rival. Fumina definitely has the most interesting gunpla and the best characterisation of the main three. It would have been nice if more time had been spent on Fumina's fights, but at the very least, we can expect a grand showdown between her and Shia eventually. I really want to see how their styles as fighters and builders hold out against each other.

Yuuma has improved so much, but I wish he'd stop going on about Sekai being the team's ace. It might be true, but talking about it too much takes away from the feeling of it being a team effort. Yuuma really seems to get the short end of the stick in battle scenes, too, which is disappointing. It's easier to show off something like the Winning in the small amount of space that's usually left over from Sekai's fights, but the Lightning doesn't take to filling a short and snappy gap so easily.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Blackchamber posted:

you say this like it is a bad thing???????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Blackchamber posted:

Lessail posted:

you say this like it is a bad thing???????

not an emptyquote

Give me all of the Exias. Give me an MG RIII and I will give you my wallet, Bandai.

• Locked thread