Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ultramiraculous posted:

same

also atlanta

i used marta for commuting

e: i drove to marta for commuting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Wulfolme posted:

is there a place on this earth that doesn't suck

Pittsburgh is good.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

houston is a better austin than austin

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Wulfolme posted:

i like singapore idk

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

i used marta for commuting

e: i drove to marta for commuting

marta is actually quite nice by us transit standards

nice in terms of the trains themselves, and the stations are relatively clean, and the vending machines for farecards and poo poo are nice

shame all the racist suburbanites prevent(ed) it from being expanded enough to be a real transit system instead of a joke

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Citizen Tayne posted:

Pittsburgh is good.

pittsburgh sucks

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

mishaq posted:

shame all the racist suburbanites prevent(ed) it from being expanded enough to be a real transit system instead of a joke

hehe moving africans rapidly thru atlanta :D

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Wulfolme posted:

pennsylvania sucks

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Wulfolme posted:

pittsburgh sucks

You must have went to some other pittsburgh.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

heh yeah city is great

almost as great as local chat

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

graph posted:

hehe moving africans rapidly thru atlanta :D

*posts this on facebook*

*sits on 285 for 2 hours to go 15 miles*

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

the tax prep industry collectively spends maybe $50 million a year lobbying against it, not including money spent by their respective pacs and superpacs. how much have you spent lobbying for it? when a issue isn't significant enough to have any one-issue voters behind it, the us political system handles things very simply

For tax return preparation, Americans spent an amount equal to roughly 20% of the amount collected in taxes. As of August 2012, there are more tax preparers (1.2 million) than there are law enforcement officers (765 thousand) and firefighters (310,400) combined.

holy poo poo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Tokamak posted:

For tax return preparation, Americans spent an amount equal to roughly 20% of the amount collected in taxes. As of August 2012, there are more tax preparers (1.2 million) than there are law enforcement officers (765 thousand) and firefighters (310,400) combined.

holy poo poo

:patriot:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

and that's in August, which is hardly high season for tax preparers

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

theflyingexecutive posted:

ugh why did the californians get a longass chunk of time on the snl special and every other sketch got a minute tops?

maybe because SNL is in new york and new yorkers love making fun of californians, whom they disdain for their lack of class

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

fart simpson posted:

i like singapore idk

what do you like about it? do you live there?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Maximum Leader posted:

what do you like about it? do you live there?

i dont live there but i've been there a few times. everything seems clean and orderly and of high quality and the food is amazingly good, and it's a nice mix of english and chinese languages personally because of stuff like how my girlfriend likes chinese subtitles when we watch movies/tv in english and i like english subtitles when we watch movies/tv in chinese and singapore is one of the few places on earth where those two options are the default

transportation is very nice there. they have a pretty good subway system and the best bus system i've ever seen and there's not much traffic and taxis are reasonably priced

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

the talent deficit posted:

houston is a better austin than austin

austin is actually an almost perfect transplant of a pnw city it's scary

the main difference is better bbq

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Denton is becoming part of the dfw sprawl and it's pretty cool

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

my parents lived in austin for a year in the early 80s and hated it. my dad worked at a gas station and said his coworkers would often refuse to talk to him unless he put on a fake texan accent

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

mishaq posted:

marta is actually quite nice by us transit standards

nice in terms of the trains themselves, and the stations are relatively clean, and the vending machines for farecards and poo poo are nice

yeah i live near a train station and its p nice for work and school since those are both by a train station but if i want to go anywhere not near the train line it quickly goes to poo poo

or if i want to go out at night and get home after 1 AM lol

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

fart simpson posted:

my parents lived in austin for a year in the early 80s and hated it. my dad worked at a gas station and said his coworkers would often refuse to talk to him unless he put on a fake texan accent

yeah all those people got priced out long ago. except for the one guy in my neighborhood who has owned his house since 1955 and went on a rant in the listserv about how liberals, californians, and "the illegals" were at fault for a marathon shutting down part of the city on a Sunday morning once a year and the city was going to hell. he's a racist shitbag and all but i was a little impressed that he knew how the whole computer thing worked.

computer parts posted:

austin is actually an almost perfect transplant of a pnw city it's scary

the main difference is better bbq

and a lot less rain.

tech news: uber somehow raised $2.8 billion on a $40b valuation. also like all good tax dodging shell companies it apparently is incorporated in Delaware.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

maybe because SNL is in new york and new yorkers love making fun of californians, whom they disdain for their lack of class

those californians skits are great

LA is garbage trash

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shifty Pony posted:

also like all good tax dodging shell companies it apparently is incorporated in Delaware.

the best state for it is nevada

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Delaware gets you the twofer of cheap as poo poo income tax and a court system which will basically never rule against management in a dispute between equity holders and management.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Wulfolme posted:

minnesota is p. vaguely okay

there's a lot of nothing and white people in it, and it's kind of to the states what finland is to europe but at least it's not a roasting hellhole that is sinking into the sea.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

fart simpson posted:

i like singapore idk

singapore's gum policy owns

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Elder Postsman posted:

singapore's gum policy owns

everything in singapore owns

except the price of alcohol now

a beer is like $11 US lol

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

a place where gay sex is illegal does not own sorry

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

also like all good tax dodging shell companies it apparently is incorporated in Delaware.

basically every startup is like this now since vcs won't invest if you arent

when we got into ycombinator they made us shutdown our massachusetts company and reincorporate in delaware before they'd finish the paperwork

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

uber raised 2-something B on a 40-something B valuation? math is disrupted

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 19, 2015

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I was browsing the reddit personal finance subreddit because there are some colossal idiots there and the sheer number of people who are seeking advice on leasing a car for "their business" who, when pressed, turn out to be the uber drivers is depressing

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

FCKGW posted:

I was browsing the reddit personal finance subreddit because there are some colossal idiots there and the sheer number of people who are seeking advice on leasing a car for "their business" who, when pressed, turn out to be the uber drivers is depressing

lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FCKGW posted:

good

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

fart simpson posted:

transportation in los angeles is so bad that i hate the whole city because of it

same except boston

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

fart simpson posted:

i dont live there but i've been there a few times. everything seems clean and orderly and of high quality and the food is amazingly good, and it's a nice mix of english and chinese languages personally because of stuff like how my girlfriend likes chinese subtitles when we watch movies/tv in english and i like english subtitles when we watch movies/tv in chinese and singapore is one of the few places on earth where those two options are the default

transportation is very nice there. they have a pretty good subway system and the best bus system i've ever seen and there's not much traffic and taxis are reasonably priced

disneyland with death penalty

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

fart simpson posted:

i like singapore idk

ever been to zouk before it closed and how was it ?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mishaq posted:

everything in singapore owns

except the price of alcohol now

a beer is like $11 US lol

yes i don't think i'd be saving tons of money if i lived in singapore

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Progressive JPEG posted:

same except boston

getting around boston is 10 million times easier than getting around los angeles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

graph posted:

ever been to zouk before it closed and how was it ?

i had to google that to see what it was so no i never went

• Locked thread