Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

If you asked me if I wanted to be the party that does well in state-level races and congress, or the party that does well in the presidential contest, I don't think it's even close.

I think it's a matter of whether we're actually living in that paradigm or whether this is still Reagan's America and we're just living in a dying democratic bubble produced by a freak year in 2008.

If Hillary wins, we'll be able to talk about whether there has actually been a realignment.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Isn't Arkansas' state government completely controlled by the GOP now, and West Virginia looking to head the same way in 2016?

Yes, hence "leftover dixiecrats in steady decline"
I think Jack Conway will have a hard time beating James Comer too, so Kentucky might head that way as well.

That still doesn't mean that the electorates in those states have decided they will never ever vote for a Democrat ever again, it means that the state GoPs are currently winning the campaign-trail war.

In many places the county-level democratic machinery is still ironclad, but has refused to work on behalf of more liberal higher-level democratic candidates. This can change if the state-level democrats sell out hard enough.

I'm not saying they should, I'm just saying that the recent republican trend in those states is not indicative of fierce partisan loyalty.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

PupsOfWar posted:

I think it's a matter of whether we're actually living in that paradigm or whether this is still Reagan's America and we're just living in a dying democratic bubble produced by a freak year in 2008.

If Hillary wins, we'll be able to talk about whether there has actually been a realignment.
Hillary will win barring some kind of implication that sticks wrt Bill and the underage prostitutes on his buddies jet because everyone remembers the '90s through this haze of nostalgia for the ending of the Cold War and the dot.com boom/low unemployment pre-9/11 glory days. Things like welfare reform and NAFTA killing the American middle class will somehow be swept under the rug and in any event wouldn't be fodder for the GOP since they want to double down on both those things.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Jeb cracks me the gently caress up. How are you gonna give a speech trying to convince everyone you aren't GWB and then like 2 sentences later start dogwhistling your war boner? Go kick rocks dude.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Republicans will continue to win seats at the state and local level, but they won't win presidential elections anytime soon.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Jeb cracks me the gently caress up. How are you gonna give a speech trying to convince everyone you aren't GWB and then like 2 sentences later start dogwhistling your war boner? Go kick rocks dude.
And he's even getting Dubya's old team back together, to boot!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

PupsOfWar posted:

Yes, hence "leftover dixiecrats in steady decline"
I think Jack Conway will have a hard time beating James Comer too, so Kentucky might head that way as well.

That still doesn't mean that the electorates in those states have decided they will never ever vote for a Democrat ever again, it means that the state GoPs are currently winning the campaign-trail war.

In many places the county-level democratic machinery is still ironclad, but has refused to work on behalf of more liberal higher-level democratic candidates. This can change if the state-level democrats sell out hard enough.

I'm not saying they should, I'm just saying that the recent republican trend in those states is not indicative of fierce partisan loyalty.

I wouldn't say Kentucky is heading that way but it is very blue dog.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

It's not like we can prevent libertarianism becoming mainstream. It was built to appeal to privileged idiots and it dovetails nicely with the policy goals of people who want to destroy social programs.

Yeah - it would probably put down the personality cult around ronpaul/randpaul, but there's always going to be someone in the wings to flag down the ancap-in-drag types wondering why anyone should be forced to build wheelchair ramps and let minorities in the front door.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It's weird studying past elections. Realignment elections are usually one-sided affairs where it's clear the national politics has shifted in a major way. But since 1980, it's been 35 years of fairly close elections ('84 notwithstanding) with a general trend of a slow bleed of white voters from D to R, with Ds picking up the rest from increasing minorities.The change has been so gradual that it may have staved off a realigning election for the time being. I don't think one is likely or even possible when both parties are evenly matched, even when that coinflip ends up D more often than not.

We're about due for a realigning election, but what are the issues that will tip the scale? What major voting blocs can still shift parties? Is the gerrymandered House the major point of inertia the GOP has, or is it the good job both parties have done in marketing to essentially each lock up ~45% of the electorate?

Does a D wave in 2020 (snatching some state legislatures and gerrymandering the House to benefit themselves after the census) make a realignment more or less likely?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

This whole election season is gonna be funny because Jeb is very stick-to-his-guns regarding his father and brothers' legacies.

He'll try talking around it at first but when people keep bringin' it he will eventually find himself in full-throated defense of Dubya.

sbaldrick posted:

I wouldn't say Kentucky is heading that way but it is very blue dog.

I think Conway, being a slick city-boy lawyer from louisville, will have a hard time getting votes out of the rural people who elected good ol' Uncle Steve.

You need a good share of the rural vote to win here, and I think a lot of that vote will lean toward Comer. Some of that will translate downticket, though I think the democrats will hold SecState and AG regardless.

Yeah we've had a ton of democratic governors and everybody really hated Fletcher, but all of those democratic governors were good ol' boy (or good ol' girl, in Collins' case) country populists, where Conway is manifestly not that. It makes me nervous that we're suddenly drawing so many candidates from the urban louisville business community when historically that was the losing Republican wheelhouse. Conway is focusing all of his efforts on coal country in an effort to run up the vote in the east, but who knows whether that will be enough.

Granted, the state GoP primary is a goddamn mess right now and I could see them nominating one of their Tea Party idiots in lieu of the sensible candidate

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 18, 2015

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

VanSandman posted:

Republicans will continue to win seats at the state and local level, but they won't win presidential elections anytime soon.

And why should they really want to? I honestly believe they profit far more from taking every state and local office and the entire federal legislature while leaving the presidency to the Democrats. Seriously, how can you maintain the victim narrative when you hold all the branches? Having Hillary as a president is perfect for them, because what they want is actual stagnation. They want their base to stay angry and unfulfilled, they NEED to have someone else to blame for why everything is terrible, and they do the most for their sponsors by nickel and diming pork legislation through Congress while stalling any real legislation. I don't know how people can't see this. I'm serious, D&D, how can you think that the rich don't benefit from this gridlock?

The Kochs and Adelson and the Waltons don't NEED to have a bunch of aggressive legislation passed to make money hand over fist while impoverishing the rest of America; they already have a great situation, and the only threat is actual movement. If the GOP wins both houses in 2016, they should WANT Hillary in the hotseat. You tell me about Supreme Court nominations, but I think that an energized GOP which already has 32 governorships, the House, and the Senate could actually exert enough power to block nominations, and I don't know why they wouldn't.

I know a lot of people here think I'm crazy, but I don't see how the GOP loses by having a Democratic president, considering how essential the "most oppressed minority" meme is for white, evangelical, conservative voters. They NEED a Great Satan to constantly vilify, because their actual policy agenda is so thin. I also don't think I'm Arzying here, because I think we all agree that there is some very risky and unpleasant poo poo coming down the pike on a lot of issues, from the collapse of the anemic economic "recovery" and the burst of other financial bubbles, to a bunch of really ugly foreign policy situations, to very serious consequences arising on all level from the GOP's success in defunding and destroying so much infrastructure and so many services on the local, state, and national level. poo poo, I wouldn't want to be Obama, looking down the barrel of the next two years, and possibly having to face a tarnished legacy as president because the economy imploded on his watch or there's a gigantic foreign policy disaster.

I cannot for the life of me understand why a Democrat would want to take the presidency in 2016, except for sheer, naked ambition. I feel like a smart person would have to see that they will be hamstrung just as Obama was, but will have even worse problems to deal with than HE did coming in. What the hell people?

^^^^^ Aliquid - This sort of artificially-maintained stasis is exactly what I'm talking about. I think that the GOP has worked from the ground up to create a resilient base that deliberately sacrifices the presidency to maximize their power in every lower office. What would we realign to? On what axis could this whole nation turn, when both parties' platforms are just a wedge salad of polarization?

Quidam Viator fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 18, 2015

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

PupsOfWar posted:

I think Conway, being a slick city-boy lawyer from louisville, will have a hard time getting votes out of the rural people who elected good ol' Uncle Steve.

You need a good share of the rural vote to win here, and I think a lot of that vote will lean toward Comer. Some of that will translate downticket, though I think the democrats will hold SecState and AG regardless.

Yeah we've had a ton of democratic governors and everybody really hated Fletcher, but all of those democratic governors were good ol' boy (or good ol' girl, in Collins' case) country populists, where Conway is manifestly not that. It makes me nervous that we're suddenly drawing so many candidates from the urban louisville business community when historically that was the losing Republican wheelhouse. Conway is focusing all of his efforts on coal country in an effort to run up the vote in the east, but who knows whether that will be enough.

Granted, the state GoP primary is a goddamn mess right now and I could see them nominating one of their Tea Party idiots in lieu of the sensible candidate

A lot of stuff in Kentucky at the moment is going to come down to Obamacare which is popular in coal country and if Rand attempts to break the party to get his way.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Quidam Viator posted:

And why should they really want to? I honestly believe they profit far more from taking every state and local office and the entire federal legislature while leaving the presidency to the Democrats. Seriously, how can you maintain the victim narrative when you hold all the branches? Having Hillary as a president is perfect for them, because what they want is actual stagnation. They want their base to stay angry and unfulfilled, they NEED to have someone else to blame for why everything is terrible, and they do the most for their sponsors by nickel and diming pork legislation through Congress while stalling any real legislation. I don't know how people can't see this. I'm serious, D&D, how can you think that the rich don't benefit from this gridlock?

The Kochs and Adelson and the Waltons don't NEED to have a bunch of aggressive legislation passed to make money hand over fist while impoverishing the rest of America; they already have a great situation, and the only threat is actual movement. If the GOP wins both houses in 2016, they should WANT Hillary in the hotseat. You tell me about Supreme Court nominations, but I think that an energized GOP which already has 32 governorships, the House, and the Senate could actually exert enough power to block nominations, and I don't know why they wouldn't.

I know a lot of people here think I'm crazy, but I don't see how the GOP loses by having a Democratic president, considering how essential the "most oppressed minority" meme is for white, evangelical, conservative voters. They NEED a Great Satan to constantly vilify, because their actual policy agenda is so thin. I also don't think I'm Arzying here, because I think we all agree that there is some very risky and unpleasant poo poo coming down the pike on a lot of issues, from the collapse of the anemic economic "recovery" and the burst of other financial bubbles, to a bunch of really ugly foreign policy situations, to very serious consequences arising on all level from the GOP's success in defunding and destroying so much infrastructure and so many services on the local, state, and national level. poo poo, I wouldn't want to be Obama, looking down the barrel of the next two years, and possibly having to face a tarnished legacy as president because the economy imploded on his watch or there's a gigantic foreign policy disaster.

I cannot for the life of me understand why a Democrat would want to take the presidency in 2016, except for sheer, naked ambition. I feel like a smart person would have to see that they will be hamstrung just as Obama was, but will have even worse problems to deal with than HE did coming in. What the hell people?

^^^^^ Aliquid - This sort of artificially-maintained stasis is exactly what I'm talking about. I think that the GOP has worked from the ground up to create a resilient base that deliberately sacrifices the presidency to maximize their power in every lower office. What would we realign to? On what axis could this whole nation turn, when both parties' platforms are just a wedge salad of polarization?

Democrats will continue to lose mid-terms because Democrats don't like to vote very often. Conservatives love to vote, and vote often, even in the same election!

Presidential elections will always matter more in the grand scheme because executive power has out weighed Congress' ability to make Americans satisfied with progress. Republicans control Congress, they're inept, and stand to lose Congress.

Cycle will continue, until Republicans essentially kill the VRA and they can dilute the minority vote.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Nonsense posted:

Democrats will continue to lose mid-terms because Democrats don't like to vote very often. Conservatives love to vote, and vote often, even in the same election!

Presidential elections will always matter more in the grand scheme because executive power has out weighed Congress' ability to make Americans satisfied with progress. Republicans control Congress, they're inept, and stand to lose Congress.

I guess I'll head to the downticket races thread then, because I know I don't have the data to make any proclamations. However, my feeling, which people like Joementum can correct, is that Republicans have not directly suffered for the failures, fuckups, and obstructionism which we may hate them for. I cannot envision a single practical narrative in which the GOP does something that they can't spin into being Obama's fault. I can't see how anything turns their base away from them, or away from the voting booth. Is that really the common consensus here, that the GOP is headed to lose one of the houses, or lose their ridiculous over-representation in state legislatures and governorships?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Quidam Viator posted:

And why should they really want to? I honestly believe they profit far more from taking every state and local office and the entire federal legislature while leaving the presidency to the Democrats. Seriously, how can you maintain the victim narrative when you hold all the branches?
The Great Myth of the Liberal Mainstream Media.

quote:

Having Hillary as a president is perfect for them, because what they want is actual stagnation. They want their base to stay angry and unfulfilled, they NEED to have someone else to blame for why everything is terrible, and they do the most for their sponsors by nickel and diming pork legislation through Congress while stalling any real legislation. I don't know how people can't see this. I'm serious, D&D, how can you think that the rich don't benefit from this gridlock?
Oh, they're benefiting. But they're not getting all they could. They want it all.

quote:

The Kochs and Adelson and the Waltons don't NEED to have a bunch of aggressive legislation passed to make money hand over fist while impoverishing the rest of America; they already have a great situation, and the only threat is actual movement.
And yet they're spending hundreds of millions of dollars to get a Republican in the White House, so clearly they disagree with you.

quote:

If the GOP wins both houses in 2016, they should WANT Hillary in the hotseat. You tell me about Supreme Court nominations, but I think that an energized GOP which already has 32 governorships, the House, and the Senate could actually exert enough power to block nominations, and I don't know why they wouldn't.
So what, Hilary keeps trying to get sane people nominated, then gives up after a while and nominates the next Scalia? Can't see that happening.

quote:

Wanting to be President takes a certain kind of insanity, and that has been true throughout all America's history.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Quidam Viator posted:

I guess I'll head to the downticket races thread then, because I know I don't have the data to make any proclamations. However, my feeling, which people like Joementum can correct, is that Republicans have not directly suffered for the failures, fuckups, and obstructionism which we may hate them for. I cannot envision a single practical narrative in which the GOP does something that they can't spin into being Obama's fault. I can't see how anything turns their base away from them, or away from the voting booth. Is that really the common consensus here, that the GOP is headed to lose one of the houses, or lose their ridiculous over-representation in state legislatures and governorships?

They're slated to lose a single chamber I think. I don't see them being kicked out of the House of Reps. for a very long while. Only hope is that 2020 is a census and Presidential election year.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Nonsense posted:

They're slated to lose a single chamber I think. I don't see them being kicked out of the House of Reps. for a very long while. Only hope is that 2020 is a census and Presidential election year.

A ton would have to go right to retake the senate in 2016, and then there's 2018 looming on the horizon.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

A ton would have to go right to retake the senate in 2016, and then there's 2018 looming on the horizon.

Right they may always take it back as Victor points out the balance of power is very thin right now. I could be wrong on that perception though.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Ummm...

:gop:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lmao yeah I was like "hold on how does this make sense I don't see Jeb in ther....oh.....oh poo poo"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lmao yeah I was like "hold on how does this make sense I don't see Jeb in ther....oh.....oh poo poo"

Jeb: bring me everyone
David Kochel: What do you mean, everyone.
Jeb: EEEEVERYOOOONE!!!!!!!!!!!

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Oh yes, Jeb's bringing George Shultz back from semi-retirement! If he serves as a non-Labor, Treasury, OMB, or State Cabinet-level position, he'll have been in an unprecedented five different positions!

Nice restraint in enlisting Wolfowitz and Mukasey, but not Rumsfeld or Cheney.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 18, 2015

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The Great Myth of the Liberal Mainstream Media.

Oh, they're benefiting. But they're not getting all they could. They want it all.

And yet they're spending hundreds of millions of dollars to get a Republican in the White House, so clearly they disagree with you.

It's almost like they actually do believe in Republican ideals and aren't just doing it for economic reasons.

Never not funny to see D&D, normally a bastion of "man is not homo economicus", assume that that's the way that rich conservatives act.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Kalman posted:

It's almost like they actually do believe in Republican ideals and aren't just doing it for economic reasons.

But I thought economic reasons were supposed to be Republican ideals

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

James Baker for running mate, he would be 86 when sworn in.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
In case some of those names aren't immediately recognizable (because some of you might have blocked out the Bush years to keep your sanity):

Wikipedia posted:

As Deputy Secretary of Defense, [Paul Wolfowitz] was "a major architect of President Bush's Iraq policy and ... its most hawkish advocate." In fact, "the Bush Doctrine was largely [his] handiwork." Donald Rumsfeld in his interview with Fox News on February 8, 2011, said that Wolfowitz was the first to bring up Iraq after the 9/11 attacks during a meeting at the presidential retreat at Camp David.
There's also the Wolfowitz Doctrine.

quote:

In the Middle East and Southwest Asia, our overall objective is to remain the predominant outside power in the region and preserve U.S. and Western access to the region's oil. We also seek to deter further aggression in the region, foster regional stability, protect U.S. nationals and property, and safeguard our access to international air and seaways. As demonstrated by Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait, it remains fundamentally important to prevent a hegemon or alignment of powers from dominating the region. This pertains especially to the Arabian peninsula. Therefore, we must continue to play a role through enhanced deterrence and improved cooperative security.
:shepicide:
I have only one thing to say: if the apocalypse happens and we somehow get Jeb Bush as president, I want a real, independent loving Kurdistan in the Middle East. Since Jeb Bush re-re-invading Iraq is a given, I want something good to come out of all that poo poo.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 18, 2015

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

fade5 posted:

I have only one thing to say: if the apocalypse happens and we somehow get Jeb Bush as president, I want a real, independent loving Kurdistan in the Middle East. Since Jeb Bush re-re-invading Iraq is a given, I want something good to come out of all that poo poo.

That's mostly up to Turkey and will probably happen regardless.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Trailer to seriously anti-gay documentary featuring possible 2016 candidates Rand Paul and Huckabee

The documentary is titled "Light Wins: How To Overcome The Criminalization Of Christianity,"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=somJ-IjMjKU

Including this line

Tanks, pie in the face, same difference right?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

AGirlWonder posted:

What the hell are "black credentials"?

That'd be his James Brown pass.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

damnit Jeb you can't select "all of the above" for everybody when you play gently caress-marry-kill -hire with W

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 19, 2015

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Quidam Viator posted:

Seriously, how can you maintain the victim narrative when you hold all the branches?

It's already a narrative unmoored from reality, what should facts matter. Alteratively, if they truly constituted an ideological majority, scapegoating exists for a reason.

quote:

Having Hillary as a president is perfect for them, because what they want is actual stagnation. They want their base to stay angry and unfulfilled, they NEED to have someone else to blame for why everything is terrible,

Dems had congress for most of the 80s, lost three straight, and came a-roarin' back in 1992 with a full-throated defense of the Great Society/New Deal, oh wait.

quote:

and they do the most for their sponsors by nickel and diming pork legislation through Congress while stalling any real legislation.

Did you even touch a TV during 2002-2006? loving NASCAR got tax breaks. NASCAR.

quote:

The Kochs and Adelson and the Waltons don't NEED to have a bunch of aggressive legislation passed to make money hand over fist while impoverishing the rest of America; they already have a great situation, and the only threat is actual movement.

Famine hurts the well-fed and the destitute alike, but the former have more meat on their bones to start. And when abundance (read: publicly-funded goodies) returns one of them can afford to buy a hell of a lot more.

quote:

I cannot for the life of me understand why a Democrat would want to take the presidency in 2016, except for sheer, naked ambition.

It's a good thing Democrats aren't exempt from the human condition, then!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

PupsOfWar posted:

damnit Jeb you can't select "all of the above" for everybody when you play gently caress-marry-kill -hire with W
No you see he's going to marry these guys, kill the enemies of Israel, and gently caress the country.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/233063-poll-huckabee-surging-bush-stalling-in-gop-2016-pack

So apparently Mike Huckabee is your current 2016 GOP frontrunner?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

If the Republicans win in 2016 which do you think happens first, retarded foreign policy and being assholes to Putin starting a war with Russia, or Netanyahu successfully convincing them to start a war with Iran?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

binders full of women

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Wheeee posted:

If the Republicans win in 2016 which do you think happens first, retarded foreign policy and being assholes to Putin starting a war with Russia, or Netanyahu successfully convincing them to start a war with Iran?

All three in the same sentence of Jeb's inauguration speech.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Wheeee posted:

If we bomb Iran, its likely Putin authorizes tactical nukes in Ukraine.

If Putin authorizes tactical nukes in Ukraine, its likely that Obama's legacy becomes Mitt saying 'Russia is our greatest geopolitical foe' over and over and over and over until everyone remembers Obama for nuking Ukraine.

Personally, I'd vote for Biden, Warren, Emanuel, hell, even Sanders '16 in a primary over Hillary. Hillary acts like she deserves presidency, which reeks of entitlement that I just don't like. Now, I'm a straight party D voter, even when it came to a decent R like that dead woman in IL. Still, I might consider Jeb over Hillary, given Hillary's foreign policy failures, her closeness to neo-ottoman emperor Erdogan, and her general air of entitlement. Hell, I might even write in Rahm for President rather vote for Hillary or Jeb because at least with Jeb, I know where he stands on Iran.

I want Bill back in the white house...and I want American foreign policy to treat Iran with the adult gloves it deserves. How does Hillary convince me to vote for her?

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Quidam Viator posted:

I think you are correct, there are two important factors. One is it's typically like this for any presidency where the American public blames the current President's party for all of their problems. Reagan, Clinton, GWB (2002 was a weird year due to 9/11) and now Obama.

The other factor is that the GOP outside money has a permanent presidential-like campaign ( http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...cc10_story.html ) that is having a huge influence on state, house and senate races. Millions of phone calls every week, tens of thousands of door to door visits, permanent physical presence in 36 states, permanent large number internet community presence. They are doing all that stuff even right now.

I think #1 combined with #2 has created this nightmare where the GOP will control a significant amount of state positions, the house and maybe even the senate for a long time and can do some real damage to the country.

The house is in an even worse position than everything else. It will be a decade of GOP control before it's even remotely possible (2020). Statistically there will be a recession sometime in the next 8 years and if it occurs during a Democratic presidency you might see a GOP house until 2028 or longer. 2 decades of GOP control of the house would be insane.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mitt Romney posted:

The house is in an even worse position than everything else. It will be a decade of GOP control before it's even remotely possible (2020). Statistically there will be a recession sometime in the next 8 years and if it occurs during a Democratic presidency you might see a GOP house until 2028 or longer. 2 decades of GOP control of the house would be insane.

This is why I hold the belief that the only way to win in the long run is by electing a Republican
In 2016. Better to have those coattails on a non-Census year and at least have a chance of blaming the next economic crisis on the Republicans than take the one-two punch of an economic crisis leading to a one-term Hillary and Republican wave in 2020. Plus, a loss forces Dems to play for Congress and state houses in 2018, which are both far more necessary than trying to get 51 in 2016 only to be guaranteed to lose it again in 2018 in Hillary's midterm.

Granted, this means Republicans have incumbency going into 2020, but incumbent coattails aren't going to help Ernst and her class as much as they would gain from an economic crisis in 2017.

Now it's true that you lose Ginsberg's seat on SCOTUS but you aren't getting a new Warren Court until Scalia kicks the bucket anyway. And he's not going to until there's a Republican in the White House anyway, so it's a moot point.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I too think handing Republicans control of both houses and the presidency at the same time is a choice that won't lead to immediate long-lasting disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kalman posted:

I too think handing Republicans control of both houses and the presidency at the same time is a choice that won't lead to immediate long-lasting disaster.

You also think net neutrality is a bad idea.

• Locked thread