Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Staffies are pretty notoriously noisy dogs (whining for no reason, grumbling and groaning etc) so she may just be talkative and unsure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?

Fraction posted:

Staffies are pretty notoriously noisy dogs (whining for no reason, grumbling and groaning etc) so she may just be talkative and unsure.

All of the above then. Already got her to realise barking = no fun any more so suspect she might actually be reasonably clever. For a given value of clever.

Night 1: trying to get her to stay in her bed. Any hints are helpful, going to start training her that bed is good tomorrow - found a site which has a 'lazy' way and a 'formal' way of training - I think a combination of both might work - if anyone has any input though on other options as I have never trained a dog before, feel free.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/pets/dog-training/teach-your-dog-to-go-to-bed

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Yep, staffies are verbal. Although the ones I know don't bark, but they do groan A LOT. So much groaning.

radlum
May 13, 2013
My dog just had a seizure, the fourth in ther short life (a year and 7 months). The vet hasn't been much help (he just told us we had to be there and wait until it ends). Do you guys have any suggestions on what to do during the seizures? How to improve the quality of life of a dog with that condition?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

radlum posted:

My dog just had a seizure, the fourth in ther short life (a year and 7 months). The vet hasn't been much help (he just told us we had to be there and wait until it ends). Do you guys have any suggestions on what to do during the seizures? How to improve the quality of life of a dog with that condition?
Four seizures in what period of time? Did you vet do any tests to look for a cause of the seizures?

Sorry you're going through this. Watching a pet have a seizure is awful. :(

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
Is it normal for a pup to need to urinate every half hour or so at the age of 11-12 weeks?,

My pup has been good at learning how to behave in the home etc, whining and gaining attention during the evening when in his crate and needing out but during the day he needs to be taken out like every 30 minutes or else bad things will happen.

A perfect example would be this evening when i walked him for about an hour where he went about 3 times, i got back in and began preparing dinner within 10 minutes he had gone on the carpet in a long line like he was walking whilst doing it and im just left confused as to what could be the cause or what do do.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

That seems excessive, DerVerrater. I'd probably up my management (crated when you can't watch, etc), and consider whether he has a UTI. I find they're pretty common in puppies.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
See below. If you were walking down the street and saw me walking this dog would you think "drat, that's a pit bull."?

loldance
Nov 30, 2005

It's laundry day; I'm down to my priest outfit.
That's a pig.

seriously, just say hound mix

loldance fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 17, 2015

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

loldance posted:

That's a pig.

seriously, just say hound mix

You watch your mouth. :toughguy:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Honey was born Dec 1, 2013. Because she was a runt the vet wouldn't give her her first round of shots until she was 2.5lbs, which was May 2014.

When I get her boosters are they supposed to be when she's 1 year old or 1 year after her first shots?

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Olive! She's a two and a half month old, mostly-lab mix. She's surprisingly calm and quiet for a puppy, only really freaking out if both my girlfriend and I leave the room, but she seems to adjust quickly. She is good on the leash and knows where her bed is but seems to like sleeping on people's instead.

She's all legs :3

Tramii
Jun 22, 2005

He's a hawk. A hawk. Can't you tell just by looking at him?

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

See below. If you were walking down the street and saw me walking this dog would you think "drat, that's a pit bull."?

People are crazy. I've been asked if my purebred Boston Terrier was a pit bull.

I just say "yes" and add that he's killed a few Great Danes, so they should keep their distance.

I don't want to get any of their stupid on me.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

I got a dog that loves plush toys, but hes a bit rough on them. They usually dont last long, but its mainly because he has to get the squeaker or rip out the plastic eyes..obviously they dont belong. Any recommendarions better than continually buying cheap toys every couple weeks?

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Hey PI, I'm a first time dog owner and I need some help here. Last Friday I adopted an ~8 month old pit terrier, and he's pretty aggressive towards my 4 year old son. By aggressive I mean he growls, barks angrily and lunges. I've always had him on a leash when they're near each other, but it freaks out my kid and I'm pretty worried. The dog does bark loudly when he meets new adult people, but it's not like this, and he's pretty chill after a few treats and sniffs. Is there any hope I can make this work between the dog and my son, or should I return him to the adoption agency and chalk it up to a learning experience? He hasn't had a chance to get comfortable with his new home and he is a good dog, but I don't want to risk an incident.

I met the dog with the foster family a week or so before the adoption and while he was kind of nervous, they told me he was perfectly friendly to everyone once he got comfortable in his surroundings, and for the most part, he is. I asked them if he had any experience with children and they replied "not really", and I guess I should've given that a second thought, but they seemed confident.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

oh dope posted:

Hey PI, I'm a first time dog owner and I need some help here. Last Friday I adopted an ~8 month old pit terrier, and he's pretty aggressive towards my 4 year old son. By aggressive I mean he growls, barks angrily and lunges. I've always had him on a leash when they're near each other, but it freaks out my kid and I'm pretty worried. The dog does bark loudly when he meets new adult people, but it's not like this, and he's pretty chill after a few treats and sniffs. Is there any hope I can make this work between the dog and my son, or should I return him to the adoption agency and chalk it up to a learning experience? He hasn't had a chance to get comfortable with his new home and he is a good dog, but I don't want to risk an incident.

I would return the dog - the reactivity may be something he could mostly work through but I would never let a dog with a history of kid reactiveness around a child without high level supervision. I don't think that's reasonable to ask of a household with a child living there.

Four years old is pretty young, but you can teach him some dog safety moves to help him not get bit if he's been sensitized by the experience with this dog - scared kids often shriek and flail, which makes them a target. There's a company that has some literature/games focused around the concept 'be a tree' - I don't remember the name.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

oh dope posted:

I met the dog with the foster family a week or so before the adoption and while he was kind of nervous, they told me he was perfectly friendly to everyone once he got comfortable in his surroundings, and for the most part, he is. I asked them if he had any experience with children and they replied "not really", and I guess I should've given that a second thought, but they seemed confident.

Take this dog back to the rescue and imo don't get another dog from this rescue. Tell them he is NOT to be homed with young children, if they don't already drat well know it. My rescue does not home dogs with children if they haven't at least properly child tested them.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Thanks for the responses. They basically confirm all the research I did. I'm pretty bummed but returning him is probably the best course of action at this point. I just don't have the time and experience to train him correctly.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

oh dope posted:

oh dope posted:

Thanks for the responses. They basically confirm all the research I did. I'm pretty bummed but returning him is probably the best course of action at this point. I just don't have the time and experience to train him correctly.

Returning the dog is best for both you, your child, and the dog. Make sure to make it very clear to the rescue he is not Kid Friendly or probably even safe to have around kids. There's no reason anyone else should have to deal with that situation again.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Tramii posted:

People are crazy. I've been asked if my purebred Boston Terrier was a pit bull.

I just say "yes" and add that he's killed a few Great Danes, so they should keep their distance.

I don't want to get any of their stupid on me.

Yea some lovely jerks in my thread called it a shelter shitbull and said it will probably kill my cat.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Bob Saget IRL posted:

I got a dog that loves plush toys, but hes a bit rough on them. They usually dont last long, but its mainly because he has to get the squeaker or rip out the plastic eyes..obviously they dont belong. Any recommendarions better than continually buying cheap toys every couple weeks?

My dog is an absolute destroyer of plush toys as well, but these guys hold up really well https://www.vipproducts.com/retail/files/index.php/categories/view/27/tuffys-pet-toys

They sell them at both Petsmart and Petco I believe.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Absolutely. I would be pleasantly surprised because it ACTUALLY looks like an apbt, so I would probably stop you and ask you if you knew its background in hopes of getting to meet a nicely bred little dog.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Yea some lovely jerks in my thread called it a shelter shitbull and said it will probably kill my cat.

APBTs and staffs are specifically bred to be extremely dog aggressive and extremely prey driven, given that they were created around blood sport. This dog may not be. The problem with rescue dogs is that you don't know their background or the breeding behind them, so there's little way to know what you're getting. Pit type dogs often "turn on" quickly after a lifetime of being alright with other dogs and prey animals; partially because it's a thing they do and partially because they tend to signal in ways that inexperienced owners interpret as "playing" and "exuberance" and then oh no, a cat is dead. This dog may be a nice lump that never does anything. It also may not. You specifically stated that you could tell that the dog would give chase if the cat ran- if an inexperienced owner can easily tell that; the dog is probably going to have some prey drive to work around. Sorry if it isn't what you wanted to hear.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Superconsndar posted:

Absolutely. I would be pleasantly surprised because it ACTUALLY looks like an apbt, so I would probably stop you and ask you if you knew its background in hopes of getting to meet a nicely bred little dog.

The problem with rescue dogs is that you don't know their background or the breeding behind them,

This right here is the only intelligent thing you said. You could leave it at that and be done with it. Unless you're willing to drop a thousand+ dollars on some AKC dog with papers from a Westminster breeder, you don't know what you're getting with a shelter dog. And I'm not inexperienced in owning a dog, either. My last dog was a lab/schnauzer mix that had a lab face with a schnauzer beard and it rocked! Bearded dogs rule.

Any dog 'may not be.' A shelter poodle could be a total oval office of a dog if it was abused or raised the wrong way. You seem to be making a huge and broad generalization when you say 'pit type' dogs. (Pitbull) (Pit) (Pit Bull) (Pit Terrier) (Half and Half) (Staffordshire Fighting Dog) (Bull Baiter Dogs) or anything with a drop of those breeds in it doesn't exactly mean it's going to be some sort of ticking time bomb. There are plenty of other dogs out there with a prey drive, like dogs specifically meant to hunt, or shepherd, or retrieve. I've been bitten twice by my parents cocker spaniel! Oh no, what a vicious breed. Why should a dog that sorta looks like it might be a pit be some shelter shitbull as you called it whose only moments away from eviscerating our cat and mauling my kid?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 19, 2015

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I've been bitten twice by my parents cocker spaniel! Oh no, what a vicious breed.

I'm not going to touch on that whole post. But yes, cocker spaniels are known for being a vicious breed. Not an especially dangerous breed, due to their size, but definitely an aggressive one. I'm assuming you're talking about American cockers here, which are bitey little shits. But show bred English cockers also have a tendency toward genetic aggression issues (see: "Rage Syndrome").

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Invalid Octopus posted:

I'm not going to touch on that whole post. But yes, cocker spaniels are known for being a vicious breed. Not an especially dangerous breed, due to their size, but definitely an aggressive one. I'm assuming you're talking about American cockers here, which are bitey little shits. But show bred English cockers also have a tendency toward genetic aggression issues (see: "Rage Syndrome").

The point I'm trying to make is that the dude is making really prejudiced, broad statements. And that dog doesn't look like an ACUTAL American Pitbull Terrier either. She *sorta* looks like one, which leads the shelter and anyone who looks at her to know shes a mix. A mix with what? I won't know unless I spring for a doggie DNA test.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 19, 2015

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

This right here is the only intelligent thing you said. You could leave it at that and be done with it. Unless you're willing to drop a thousand+ dollars on some AKC dog with papers from a Westminster breeder, you don't know what you're getting with a shelter dog. And I'm not inexperienced in owning a dog, either. My last dog was a lab/schnauzer mix that had a lab face with a schnauzer beard and it rocked! Bearded dogs rule.

Any dog 'may not be.' A shelter poodle could be a total oval office of a dog if it was abused or raised the wrong way. You seem to be making a huge and broad generalization when you say 'pit type' dogs. (Pitbull) (Pit) (Pit Bull) (Pit Terrier) (Half and Half) (Staffordshire Fighting Dog) (Bull Baiter Dogs) or anything with a drop of those breeds in it doesn't exactly mean it's going to be some sort of ticking time bomb. There are plenty of other dogs out there with a prey drive, like dogs specifically meant to hunt, or shepherd, or retrieve. I've been bitten twice by my parents cocker spaniel! Oh no, what a vicious breed. Why should a dog that sorta looks like it might be a pit be some shelter shitbull as you called it whose only moments away from eviscerating our cat and mauling my kid?

Honestly, I am ignorant of the intricacies of pit bulls and dogs in general. I didn't realize I was dealing with a former lab/schnauzer mix owner, boy is my face red! Cute pup btw, she looks like quite a scamp!

Personally, I'm biased because I was bitten by a "stafford pit terrier" as a child and have never liked the guys. I realize that's probably not fair so I guess I knee-jerked when I saw the picture of it so close to a kid (good thing you seem to be holding its mouth shut though.) I know in reality its all in how you raise them and treat them, and I'm sure she'll find a loving home with you and settle in just fine. I bet her and the kid and cat become fast friends. They don't call pits "nanny dogs" for nothing!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
President GOKU please think very carefully before bringing a high energy bully breed into your apartment home with cat and small child. It might work out for you, but if it goes bad it will go bad fast and hard.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Superconsndar posted:

Honestly, I am ignorant of the intricacies of pit bulls and dogs in general. I didn't realize I was dealing with a former lab/schnauzer mix owner, boy is my face red! Cute pup btw, she looks like quite a scamp!

Personally, I'm biased because I was bitten by a "stafford pit terrier" as a child and have never liked the guys. I realize that's probably not fair so I guess I knee-jerked when I saw the picture of it so close to a kid (good thing you seem to be holding its mouth shut though.) I know in reality its all in how you raise them and treat them, and I'm sure she'll find a loving home with you and settle in just fine. I bet her and the kid and cat become fast friends. They don't call pits "nanny dogs" for nothing!

i am dying inside.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I've been dead for years, like the animals my shitbulls have mauled

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Superconsndar posted:

I've been dead for years, like the animals my shitbulls have mauled

I think we know who is the true inexperienced owner. Everyone knows that a dog that is raised right can be trained to not kill animals.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

adventure in the sandbox posted:

I think we know who is the true inexperienced owner. Everyone knows that a dog that is raised right can be trained to not kill animals.

When mine were puppies I cussed at them and called them gay

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

The point I'm trying to make is that the dude is making really prejudiced, broad statements. And that dog doesn't look like an ACUTAL American Pitbull Terrier either. She *sorta* looks like one, which leads the shelter and anyone who looks at her to know shes a mix. A mix with what? I won't know unless I spring for a doggie DNA test.

It's funny because virtually none of the dogs on that page linked are APBTs lmao

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Superconsndar posted:

It's funny because virtually none of the dogs on that page linked are APBTs lmao

rebel terrier

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Superconsndar posted:

You're being willfully stupid now because you don't like the breed because one bit you once. What do they call it when you pass judgement on a race or species or breed when one out of millions does a thing to you...

Superconsndar posted:

Oh dear. In that bite, the dog must have transferred the whole of dog gestalt: a hive mind of sorts that allows you to make educated, non biased opinions about dogs you see, based entirely on one incident. I submit to your knowledge.

'Those dogs' as you put it are not inherently vicious, and the dogs that you hear about are raised in abusive conditions, bred specifically to be blood sport prize fighters. If you raise a dog to be violent, it will be violent. I plan on taking my time and raising the dog and training it with input from a lot of lit on dogs. I'm sorry you were bit.

I wasn't holding its mouth shut at all either. She was really tired because it was the end of the day and the shelter was packing up all the dogs no one took. And she's not a pit, she's a boxer mix ;)

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 19, 2015

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Oh dear. In that bite, the dog must have transferred the whole of dog gestalt: a hive mind of sorts that allows you to make educated, non biased opinions about dogs you see, based entirely on one incident. I submit to your knowledge.

'Those dogs' as you put it are not inherently vicious, and the dogs that you hear about are raised in abusive conditions, bred specifically to be blood sport prize fighters. If you raise a dog to be violent, it will be violent. I plan on taking my time and raising the dog and training it with input from a lot of lit on dogs. I'm sorry you were bit.

I wasn't holding its mouth shut at all either. She was really tired because it was the end of the day and the shelter was packing up all the dogs no one took. And she's not a pit, she's a boxer mix ;)

is this real

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Yeah and I'm the queen of France. I have some French ancestry and I'm white, good enough.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Superconsndar posted:

is this real

Yea I'm calling you out on being a stupid with bad, prejudiced opinions on a breed because one bit you. It's like you want to be a dumb gimmick.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

lol you dumb motherfucker

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Guys lets not fight, we have the Internet at our fingertips and can consult the experts

http://www.cesarsway.com/cesar-millan-tv/specials/Cesars-All-New-Special-Makes-the-Case-for-Pit-Bulls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Is

Is this helldump

Am I in the 'dump