Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the "grand" "finale" of the uncanny x-men story arc about the will that never gets read is some next level stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
drat, I was hoping for 10-14 more issues, covering roughly half an hour real-time. Now I'll never have that Matthew Malloy omnibus.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Blockhouse posted:

the "grand" "finale" of the uncanny x-men story arc about the will that never gets read is some next level stupid

Is it over over?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

They read the will like 8 issues ago.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Aphrodite posted:

I legit could not remember

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All the Matthew Malloy stuff is actually what the will asked them to do.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

I straight up have no idea how else it could've ended. And I feel it worked, in a "This is the logical endpoint of Cyclops acting like he has, it's completely unsustainable, lesson learned, let's take it to the next stage" kind of way. I dunno, aren't crazy wacky time-travel and altering of reality stories kind of a big staple of X-Men? This is the Bachalo-Bendis take on Here Comes Tomorrow, informed by the current continuity of Marvel. I liked it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is that story arch over? Does that mean a new one is starting without Bendis? I would love to subscribe back to Uncanny X-Men again.
EDIT: I did some Googling, and we're stuck with him until May, when #600 drops.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Aphrodite posted:

But the implication was that they'd find out the rest of the will after they dealt with Malloy.

While time-travel nonsense was the only way out of what he'd written himself into, it still was not satisfying, especially after the amount of time sunken into it. And what the hell was with the changes to the will? Whatever happened as a result of Eva's meddling made Xavier not marry Mystique? Is there still a baby Xavier Jr. out there, or did this also conveniently get rid of the future brotherhood problem? Everything just comes off as so arbitrary and meaningless.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Everything just comes off as so arbitrary and meaningless.

Bendis's X-men run in a nutshell. He never really seemed to want to be writing the X-books, and instead is just doing it since its another Marvel franchise. This was peak I do not give a poo poo Bendis. See also the end of his Avengers run.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I still believe Bendis thought getting the X-books would re-ignite his ability to give a poo poo but it didn't and now he's stuck.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
The story was clearly intended to end multiple issues ago, given the solicitations for totally different plots for these past 3 issues. Was it just dragged out, or was there a different, none-time-travel ending? And if the ending was significantly changed, are the various Mystique / Future Brotherhood wrap-ups (or rather, sidesteps) also part of the changes, possibly because he's leaving early than expected and can't hope to make good on half the stuff he's teased but left woefully unfulfilled?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SirDan3k posted:

I still believe Bendis thought getting the X-books would re-ignite his ability to give a poo poo but it didn't and now he's stuck.
Yeah I agree, I think he had some ideas and some arcs at the start that could have gone places.

But characters quickly lost voice, arcs lost coherence, dark beast happened and now its just some meandering pile like those last few avengers arcs. Just needs Norman Osbourne to show up and we'd all peak with him.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Oh god i forgot about the dark beast thing. That was pointless.

I dunno. I liked the ending at least. Nice to see some development from Cyclops after so long, and it seems like a fairly natural progression for his character.

I liked what this arc did, but I could have been about half as long, I think. I like the idea of Cyclops being confronted with where his actions are taking him, but it would have been better if he'd gotten to see them himself. I liked the stuff with Eva and Chuck as well.

In fact, I reckon if about half of Bendis' run had been cut, it would have been much stronger. ANXM is much tighter, but even that's starting to show signs of going off the rails now. I dont read guardians and he keeps trying to tie it in with that every other story so I've lost interest.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
That genuinely has to be the shittiest ending to a mind-numbingly dull and dragged out story I have ever 'enjoyed'. Like holy gently caress guys, that was bad.

And Eva's kind of OP now.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

SirDan3k posted:

I had a lot of hope for that. In a lot of ways, the X-men were perfect for his overly wordy talking heads style, but it just didn't ever seem to gel.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think it's really hard to write books with like 11 characters and really keep a good handle on all the characters. With X-Men it's really less is more. I feel like the ideal team per book (not including Professor X and various support staff) should be six people, and Wolverine.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd love the Xbooks to go back to the classic team base. Create a new, primary Xmen team made up of a mix of classics and newer characters, then have the other books with other teams. But that wouldn't let writers make their huge epic story with a cast of thousands!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I like how when they got back to the will-reading scene after all the time-hopping shenanigans, Wolverine isn't in the room. I wonder if in the script Bendis put "No no Wolverine was never there what are you guys talking about you're crazy" or Bachalo just didn't put him there because why remind people about how long this dumb story has gone on.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Bendis' run is officially the most nothing run in X-Men history.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao he brought Dark Beast back?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SynthOrange posted:

lmao he brought Dark Beast back?
If falling over dead in a space suit is brought back then yes, he brought him back.

It didn't really resolve or solve or explain anything though.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Bendis' work (New Avengers v1, House of M) was how I got into comics but hooo boy this run has been rough.

IUG posted:

Is that story arch over? Does that mean a new one is starting without Bendis? I would love to subscribe back to Uncanny X-Men again.
EDIT: I did some Googling, and we're stuck with him until May, when #600 drops.

so what's you're saying is that in three months.... time runs out!?

Neo_Reloaded posted:

The story was clearly intended to end multiple issues ago, given the solicitations for totally different plots for these past 3 issues. Was it just dragged out, or was there a different, none-time-travel ending? And if the ending was significantly changed, are the various Mystique / Future Brotherhood wrap-ups or rather, sidesteps) also part of the changes, possibly because he's leaving early than expected and can't hope to make good on half the stuff he's teased but left woefully unfulfilled?

haha yeah i was a little excited by the last couple of covers/comixology preview blurbs. Quite frankly it's kinda confusing.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Did Bendis even explain at all why Mystique was in his will? The hell happened with that poo poo?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Genetic Toaster posted:

Bendis' run is officially the most nothing run in X-Men history.

It's like the worst parts of a manga side story that just keeps going and going never really having a point and then you forget entirely what the main story was in the first place. That's what Bendis's non Ultimate Spider-Man books have felt like.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Web Jew.0 posted:

Bendis' work (New Avengers v1, House of M) was how I got into comics but hooo boy this run has been rough.

so what's you're saying is that in three months.... time runs out!?

haha yeah i was a little excited by the last couple of covers/comixology preview blurbs. Quite frankly it's kinda confusing.

I didn't give a gently caress about anything in comics but the X-Men and Batman for basically ten years prior to Civil War, and Bendis got me reading all his stuff, and I started to stick my nose out and read other stuff because of how all he did intersected with the (non-X) universe as a whol.

Yet here I am not reading anything mainstream but this thread and X-Force (which I more read because it's kind of confusing and I want to understand it) after his X-Men run made me wonder why I was even bothering.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

What the flying gently caress was the point of this story?

Abraham Lincoln
Feb 12, 2008
If you are a racist I will attack you with the North
I don't understand why the story brought Xavier to the present only for him and Eva to go right back to the past. To see how the students would react for 6 pages? It's like really odd story padding.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
A lot of writers could learn from Spurrier, he did a great job with the characters in X-force, I think the secret was the shifting perspective that spent a little time on each of the characters giving them a chance to grow and shine each.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Abraham Lincoln posted:

It's like really odd story padding.

BendisX-Men.txt

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That Eva threat was stupid. Cyclops was the only one able to calm him down, it was SHIELD being SHIELD that caused the problems. She should probably say something about that because it would help them to know SHIELD has a turn them to dust option.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Did I miss an AXIS label on that thing somewhere because that sure was a story where a bunch of unpleasant assholes prevail over the one guy in the entire arc who wanted to help and support the mutant in need rather than trying to murder him

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
These last however many months were nothing more than a wet fart. Was it six months? Okay, well all that never happened! And that's fine, there's drama to be mined in showing horrible alternate paths, but don't stretch that poo poo for more than an issue or two unless you can stick that landing. These were bad, pointless comics.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Seemlar posted:

Did I miss an AXIS label on that thing somewhere because that sure was a story where a bunch of unpleasant assholes prevail over the one guy in the entire arc who wanted to help and support the mutant in need rather than trying to murder him

Hahahaha SIXIS??? Try ORIGINAL SIN tie in! That's when this pointless arc started. TWO events ago! :suicide:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Oh my, you're right. :suicide:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Interesting how Bunn just up and ignored Sabretooth's current post-Axis status quo in the latest Magneto.

Also, no loving way is Sabretoothe even comic book dead.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

notthegoatseguy posted:

Interesting how Bunn just up and ignored Sabretooth's current post-Axis status quo in the latest Magneto.

Also, no loving way is Sabretoothe even comic book dead.

Magneto had gained the services of the Marauders, and the Marauders have been cloned and recloned so many times even they've lost count. Anyways, implication is that that was a cloned Sabretooth.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Magneto had gained the services of the Marauders, and the Marauders have been cloned and recloned so many times even they've lost count. Anyways, implication is that that was a cloned Sabretooth.

They showed a clone sabertooth in a earlier issue

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That was a programmed clone. He straight up says Sabertooth is fighting his programming and disposes of him. In fact, aren't several of the main versions of those characters dead to begin with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Spiderdrake posted:

aren't several of the main versions of those characters dead to begin with?

Yes and no. Since Sinister has been cloning them for years we don't necessarily know that the prime of any of them was actually dead(Sinister sent them to live on a nice farm with the other previous Marauders). There were some of them that had last been seen dying/dead though, so you are correct.

• Locked thread