Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Been out of the game for a bit. What am I missing out on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Honestly if a modern sentai being kinda Red-centric still surprises or bothers you in the slightest you have only yourself to blame

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

lemonslol posted:

Been out of the game for a bit. What am I missing out on?
Drive is pretty good. ToQger is over, has a pretty good ending, but a very weak first half. Dino Charge is surprisingly decent so far. Ninninger is looking alright, and the Sixth Ranger uses a burgerphone to henshin.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Got my Zyuranger set in today. I'm a bit surprised by how many discs there are. I mean, I'm sure the product page on Amazon spelled it out, but 5 episodes per disc of an early 90s show that is nowhere near HD seems a little low to me. I kinda hate that the episode list per disc is printed on the insert but not the discs and the menus are low-budget as all get out....but the show itself is really solid. Only watched one episode, but the translation seems fine (probably gonna compare it to GUIS' at some point) and the quality is about what one would expect.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Brother Entropy posted:

Honestly if a modern sentai being kinda Red-centric still surprises or bothers you in the slightest you have only yourself to blame

Yeah, look how red-centric Gobusters was. Or Gokaiger. Or Goseiger. I mean yeah the last two were red-centric but its not some sort of overarching trend thats been going for years.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Shinkenger was pretty red-centric, but then again that was pretty much set up from the start of the first episode.
And shinkenred did share powerups and special moments plenty often, that was his character arc really.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
True, and Go-Onger wasn't. Gekiranger apparantly was (?) and I'm sure you could go even further back then that but it doesn't matter when the point is that being excessively red-centric is not some sort of great irreversible trend. It happened twice in a row, thats all.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zedd posted:

Shinkenger was pretty red-centric, but then again that was pretty much set up from the start of the first episode.
And shinkenred did share powerups and special moments plenty often, that was his character arc really.

both of these sentences also more or less apply to toqger(minus the character arc part but even then that's basically what the last two episodes were about, right learning that he couldn't imagine victory without his friends by his side)

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cliff Racer posted:

True, and Go-Onger wasn't. Gekiranger apparantly was (?) and I'm sure you could go even further back then that but it doesn't matter when the point is that being excessively red-centric is not some sort of great irreversible trend. It happened twice in a row, thats all.
Gekiranger was no more Red Centric than Go-Busters or Gokaiger.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

Drive is pretty good. ToQger is over, has a pretty good ending, but a very weak first half. Dino Charge is surprisingly decent so far. Ninninger is looking alright, and the Sixth Ranger uses a burgerphone to henshin.

The best part of ToQ will always be the villains. Followed by Akira.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Xelkelvos posted:

The best part of ToQ will always be the villains. Followed by Akira.

It almost feels like not giving Akira enough credit to call him the best character in the show because it wasn't a very high bar to begin with (the Shadow Line is an amazing villain cast but they're only so as a unit, trying to dick over and otherwise undermine each other to the end, save Nero and Mork generally working together). Goddamn, though, did he nail it.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

jivjov posted:

Got my Zyuranger set in today. I'm a bit surprised by how many discs there are. I mean, I'm sure the product page on Amazon spelled it out, but 5 episodes per disc of an early 90s show that is nowhere near HD seems a little low to me.

This may be the worst thing you've posted in the thread. You're actually complaining that Shout didn't make the video quality terrible, and you don't mind because an inherently (nearly) SD medium only has (nearly) SD video on it instead of magically having HD. MPEG-2 compression sucks balls, and if you don't have to cause bitrate starvation for other reasons you absolutely shouldn't set out to do so.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Shaezerus posted:

It almost feels like not giving Akira enough credit to call him the best character in the show because it wasn't a very high bar to begin with (the Shadow Line is an amazing villain cast but they're only so as a unit, trying to dick over and otherwise undermine each other to the end, save Nero and Mork generally working together). Goddamn, though, did he nail it.

Akira is just a fantastic character, yeah. Shadowline only really got going good when Zed showed up, but that was like episode 8 or something anyway wasn't it? Once all the scheming started there you had two great characters; Akira who tries his damndest to be serious but is absolutely ridiculous, and the backstabbing Shadowline who are always working against each other.

This basically comes to a head when Akira joins the Shadowline again because it becomes clear he's always been how he is, overly serious to the point of hilarity, and not understanding how ridiculous he looks in his tassled jacket.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AzraelNewtype posted:

This may be the worst thing you've posted in the thread. You're actually complaining that Shout didn't make the video quality terrible, and you don't mind because an inherently (nearly) SD medium only has (nearly) SD video on it instead of magically having HD. MPEG-2 compression sucks balls, and if you don't have to cause bitrate starvation for other reasons you absolutely shouldn't set out to do so.

Hey I don't know the technical stuff behind it; I don't know a thing about video compression; if there's actually a technical reason why more episodes won't fit on each disc, then I retract all "complaints". It is by no means a major concern or a thing close to a deal breaker.

EDIT: Heck, got a primer or something I can read on video stuff? I was only taking it as far as "lower quality = lower file size = you can fit more" and apparantly there's other wizardry behind the scenes there.

EDIT 2: Also, I was by no means complaining about the non-HDness of Zyuranger. Its a show from the 90s, of course its not gonna be in HD, and that's fine.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 19, 2015

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Hah! Turns out I did get the very last first-run Shurikenjin from CSToys. :smugdog:

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

jivjov posted:

Hey I don't know the technical stuff behind it; I don't know a thing about video compression; if there's actually a technical reason why more episodes won't fit on each disc, then I retract all "complaints". It is by no means a major concern or a thing close to a deal breaker.

EDIT: Heck, got a primer or something I can read on video stuff? I was only taking it as far as "lower quality = lower file size = you can fit more" and apparantly there's other wizardry behind the scenes there.

EDIT 2: Also, I was by no means complaining about the non-HDness of Zyuranger. Its a show from the 90s, of course its not gonna be in HD, and that's fine.

1) I don't offhand, but I also don't know why you think it's lower quality (we'll get to that). Anime doesn't really do well more than five episodes per disc, and it compresses better than any live action. If you happen to have Eureka seveN on DVD, its first ending (especially the versions with credits at the end of episodes) is a good object lesson in what happens when a scene doesn't have enough bits allocated. In its case, the DVD spec prevents it from getting enough, but trying to shrink a file beyond a certain point will do the same thing. If you don't have it, the first ending from Gundam Build Fighters Try is basically the same thing on youtube during the spinning star section, but that's on an even less likely to fail codec than MPEG-2. The smaller you try to push an encode, the lower the ceiling at which point motion causes that mess.

2) Zyuranger, as a live action show shot in Japan in the 90s, was shot on film. This film is probably at least 16mm, and maybe even 35mm but I don't really know offhand. As such, you can easily get at least 720p masters out of it, though that's obviously not what we currently have available. Being old is actually in its favor here, unlike the Kuuga-Blade Rider shows that jumped to digital video spec. (Okay, Kuuga technically had all its live footage done in HD, but none of the effects, so it's better off if someone wants to do ST:TNG BD level work on it).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That was actually Toei's intention at the time- Kuuga was going to, in the future, get updated special effects on future DVD/tv releases.

If they follow through on that would be interesting but unlikely given how they've changed since then.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Huh...I had no idea you could get 720p quality footage out of film like that (yeah, I seriously haven't a drat clue how video/film/whatever works). I certainly wasn't trying to cast any stones at Shout Factory or anything. I'm just a lazy goon that wanted to swap discs less often.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

jivjov posted:

Huh...I had no idea you could get 720p quality footage out of film like that (yeah, I seriously haven't a drat clue how video/film/whatever works). I certainly wasn't trying to cast any stones at Shout Factory or anything. I'm just a lazy goon that wanted to swap discs less often.

We've been filming in HD quality for decades, it's just that there wasn't anyway to watch it in the original format until the last 15 years or so.

So now that we have Zyu in DVD in English, what season should be next if any? I'd say either Dairanger or skip all the way to something recent like Kyoryuger or ToQger.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I think people would say Kakuranger or Jetman probably.

Unless they're required to do stuff that actually got used in Power Rangers in which case Ohranger and Carranger are the next things that are really recognizable as far as suits are concerned.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Bioman.

Bioman started this whole thing with Saban it deserves a shot.

(please)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Got my set yesterday but only now starting to watch (I wanted to finish the Digimon Fusion DVDs I picked up on Mon so I am not marathoning two shows at once) I am liking it so far and I have no problem with how it is subbed.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Liar Lyre posted:

We've been filming in HD quality for decades, it's just that there wasn't anyway to watch it in the original format until the last 15 years or so.

So now that we have Zyu in DVD in English, what season should be next if any? I'd say either Dairanger or skip all the way to something recent like Kyoryuger or ToQger.

Well if they want sales probably Jetman, even with more translated series to choose from a lot of fans still pick that out as "the best one." Dairanger is another good choice, its the next in line, has white ranger nostalgia associated with it (even if there isn't actually all that much white ranger in the show) and is generally regarded as one of the better series. After that, I dunno, maybe Shinkenger or Gokaiger. I'd be shocked if they were allowed to use Kyoryuger/ToQger/Gobusters(?) as those series still have stuff that hasn't been adapted yet.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
It would be nice if they could do a series without real/any subs, but that's almost certainly not one of their top considerations.

e: vv If that means we could get Abaranger, then I'll take it.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 19, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Ninja and Dinosaur seasons only.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Release the first Super Sentai series to get adapted for the US: Dynaman.

Also include the English Dynaman on there as extras.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Liar Lyre posted:

That's fascinating, I had no idea filming technology worked like that.

As for what's next, I don't think there's any way in hell they'd get approval to do anything recent; don't want to bite into sales of Power Rangers merch in the US after all. It's gonna be either Dairanger or Ohranger. My bet would be on Ohranger since that's the next new named series in power rangers, but I'd love to see Power Rangers New Powers get the subtitle treatment.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

jivjov posted:

As for what's next, I don't think there's any way in hell they'd get approval to do anything recent; don't want to bite into sales of Power Rangers merch in the US after all. It's gonna be either Dairanger or Ohranger. My bet would be on Ohranger since that's the next new named series in power rangers, but I'd love to see Power Rangers New Powers get the subtitle treatment.

Releasing recent Sentai isn't gonna cut into Power Ranger sales. It's not an "either or" situation. If someone is gonna buy Sentai DVDs, they aren't gonna stop buying Power Ranger stuff. They're two completely different shows that just happen to use the same source footage.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Liar Lyre posted:

Releasing recent Sentai isn't gonna cut into Power Ranger sales. It's not an "either or" situation. If someone is gonna buy Sentai DVDs, they aren't gonna stop buying Power Ranger stuff. They're two completely different shows that just happen to use the same source footage.

Sorry, I was phrasing that from the marketing viewpoint. Some dudes in suits won't want to fracture the customer base for Dino Charge stuff by having Kyoryuger stuff available at the same time.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

jivjov posted:

Sorry, I was phrasing that from the marketing viewpoint. Some dudes in suits won't want to fracture the customer base for Dino Charge stuff by having Kyoryuger stuff available at the same time.

How available is the Shout stuff? Like, is it sold just on amazon, or at more niche stores, or can people buy it at the same place as they do their toys?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

jivjov posted:

Brain Ward the Guy who is the producer for all the Ranger DVDs at Shout Factory has said that Dairanger will be next if they do get approval to keep going.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Serperoth posted:

How available is the Shout stuff? Like, is it sold just on amazon, or at more niche stores, or can people buy it at the same place as they do their toys?

I'll keep my eyes open when I hit retail stores; but my copy is off Amazon and I know they sell direct through their website.

mateo360 posted:

Brain Ward the Guy who is the producer for all the Ranger DVDs at Shout Factory has said that Dairanger will be next if they do get approval to keep going.

Oh god, please please please let them get approval. I want that so bad.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

jivjov posted:

I'll keep my eyes open when I hit retail stores; but my copy is off Amazon and I know they sell direct through their website.

I asked cause Power Rangers and Sentai (outside of Japan) have different audiences usually. If a kid doesn't accidentally get/ask for Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger instead of POWER RANGERS DINO DANCING or whatnot, then the sales one might 'poach' from the other would be a pretty low number.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I'll buy sentai but I won't buy power rangers. :shrug:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I just finished Disc 1 of Zyuranger; does the show keep the Kamen Rider-esque 2-episode-plots going for the whole season? That infuriates me when watching a show as it releases, but coming back after the fact, its nice to see everything get a little bit more time.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

jivjov posted:

So I just finished Disc 1 of Zyuranger; does the show keep the Kamen Rider-esque 2-episode-plots going for the whole season? That infuriates me when watching a show as it releases, but coming back after the fact, its nice to see everything get a little bit more time.

That wont be what infuriates you about watching this show. Tasukete.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

jivjov posted:

No, just on the second disc, the Goblin and Pudgy Pig episodes are are one each it kind of switches it up through out the series, some will be multi episode stories and some are just the simple monster of the week stories.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Why are they the Dinosaur Sentai if half of them aren't even dinosaurs? Mammoths, sabertooth tigers, and dragons are NOT dinosaurs. :colbert:

Edit: Technically, pteranodons aren't even dinosaurs, so it's just the two!

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 19, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It was a simpler time when everything from "oh I dunno, a million years ago?" was considered a dinosaur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

jivjov posted:

It was a simpler time when everything from "oh I dunno, a million years ago?" was considered a dinosaur

Basically this. Abaranger and Kyoryuger are actually dinosaurs, or at least more like dinosaurs.

As for what sentai shows I want subbed, Kakuranger and Gokaiger are probably my most requested, with Liveman as a close third.

• Locked thread