Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

toadee posted:

Man, I really am sad I couldn't get anything together really fitting in the spirit. I'm digging so many of these groovy rear end jams.

Don't sweat it, yours and mine are the tracks I like the most from the standpoint of being, like, artistically satisfying or interesting. They are also, according to the stats, the most skipped and least listened to.

signed

-a trifling rear end motherfucka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Does anyone know if the Audiopocket app for the new Volca sampler will record from line in?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If anyone posts Boner Jamz to reddit or w/e it'd be great if you linked to it here for those of us who don't follow anything other than the synth thread :kimchi: It would be neat to see what non-goons think of it.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Your Computer posted:

If anyone posts Boner Jamz to reddit or w/e it'd be great if you linked to it here for those of us who don't follow anything other than the synth thread :kimchi: It would be neat to see what non-goons think of it.

They'll love it or we'll strike them down with our bonerz

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Here it is.

Glad the intro made it in, it really does tie the room together.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Just listened to the album.

rid - circle <- is this the same vocalist as Beestmeel? Lollin so hard.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

sliderule posted:

Just listened to the album.

rid - circle <- is this the same vocalist as Beestmeel? Lollin so hard.

I don't know what the gently caress beatmeal is and I have no involvement in it so, no.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I was feelin' the urge to go out chasing the modular dragon. Fortunately, instead, I was able to pick up a radioshack going out of business lilbits synth kit. I....I think I may be developing a crush. Pretty sure it's meant to be pursued along the collectible card game lines, like, you buy a base pack and every week you pick up a couple of boosters. It's also super easy to integrate your own stuff into it, there's a protoboard module, or you can just buy magnetic snappy end pieces for your regular perfboard stuff. I may even need to learn how to use that arduino module I've never touched.

Out of the box it's a pair of oscillators that probably track better than the timbre wolf, a surprisingly nice sounding squelchy filter, a nice little simple delay, a four step sequencer and some other stuff. And you can plug that poo poo together however you want.

Build quality is, it's not exactly iffy, it's just that every thing is so loving small. Still it's somewhere inbetween, like, a simple modular and a cmos lunetta setup. I'd say it was +/- a 100$ well spent except it's probably going to end up being +/-, like 300$. But it will end up being a loving monster synth for the same price as that Moog thingy.

definitely crushing

Free MP3 download: lilbittest1.mp3

Sizone fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 15, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Just installed an organix midi mod into the jx-3p. Went together and in without any hassle, now I can control it via midi and twist the knobs at the same time. Also, no more needing to restart the thing when switching between programmer and midi. Now some of you may chide me for not going the kiwi route, but this was 60$ instead of 400 and, hey, I have a programmer for it, I may as well use it.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
That poly-sequencer in the JX-3p is so dope. Shame they never really used it in any other Roland Synth.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
True, but ti's kind of understandable. The need for a mod to fix some pretty glaring problems with the midi implementation (none of which were present on later models) is pretty much proof that, unsurprisingly, on their first midi synth, they didn't really know what to do with the protocol. Putting in an onboard sequencer made since, but I think the sensibility of it was rapidly (like, in a year or two) obsoleted by external sequencers, especially ones running on a 'puter.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
All true, but one way or another you just can't beat the workflow (& funkiness) of banging in some random notes and letting the 707/808/909 fire trigger shots at it. Mix it up with a bit of SH-101 and you've got 80% of a track going within minutes.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Sjoewe posted:

All true, but one way or another you just can't beat the workflow (& funkiness) of banging in some random notes and letting the 707/808/909 fire trigger shots at it.

This, weed and a sampler is at least three genres.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

This box is basically every overdrive/distortion/saturator in one and is overpriced and therefore I need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39bAgYANGW0

$1500

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

magiccarpet posted:

This box is basically every overdrive/distortion/saturator in one and is overpriced and therefore I need it.

$1500

"It's an Emptyset album in a box!"(TM)

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

magiccarpet posted:

$1500

"wrecking" might be an overstatement

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
Just got around to listening to the Bonerjamz album and goddamn stillvisions and your computer nailed it with On My Way and Hot California Nights

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
As a heads up to anyone getting radioshack discount synthkits, make sure you pick up a couple of split bits when you do and a wire bit or two. If you get mounting boards, get two packs of them. I now need to learn how to code for ardiuno.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 17, 2015

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i don't think i'm gonna be able to help myself from buying this and this whenever they come out (hopefully this year). goodbye, money :homebrew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK-yWbMPDoU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

i don't think i'm gonna be able to help myself from buying this and this whenever they come out (hopefully this year). goodbye, money :homebrew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK-yWbMPDoU

Under 1k? I'll believe it when it ships. Kind of surprised it's not just a much bigger traditional LCD vs those little OLEDs. It's interesting from a design perspective but they're smaller than the knobs ffs. Sounds good though.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Startyde posted:

Under 1k? I'll believe it when it ships. Kind of surprised it's not just a much bigger traditional LCD vs those little OLEDs. It's interesting from a design perspective but they're smaller than the knobs ffs. Sounds good though.

i really like how it displays the waveform/envelope on the display. not enough synths have that. kind of like editing ultranova patches via the VST, which is how i figured out you can change the slopes on the envelopes

agree that <1k seems ambitious, though.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

New addition to the family. Wow this is a fun synth.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Sjoewe posted:

New addition to the family. Wow this is a fun synth.

How much did you pay for it? There's on on my local craigslist I've been eyeing.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
50 euros but it does need a key and the joystick replaced.
But honestly it shouldn't cost more than 200.

You could drop a little more if it's a mkII but anything above 275 is too much.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
Poly-800 was my first synth! Gotta do the moogslayer mod to that puppy (knobs for filter cutoff and res).

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Synthkit, just some basic modules and a couple of extra splits

Free MP3 download: synthkitdemos2.mp3

sooo much legosynth fun, so much frequency modulation.

My initial estimate of 300$ for more modules than I would ever need was, unsurprisingly, short about 200$. Gonna build a midi-in for the arduinobit next week if I can find a protobit locally.

e: How much enthusiasm is there for legitimately trying to score a silent movie? Kinda tempted to make a thread for that.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 18, 2015

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
I'm really in for the silent movie thing.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Whenever I think "Trap" I think "kick drum bass line, sirens and guns." But I just this morning learned that some people think, "kitchen noises." I was all WTF until someone posted this example:

https://soundcloud.com/rogueuk/rattlesnake

And now I'm all LOLWTF.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Reminds me of someone describing Atari Teenage Riot as: 'You throwing a box full of office supplies down the stairs while your sister is being raped in the kitchen, your mother is vacuum cleaning the living room and your little brother is going through your old gabber records at full volume.'

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Sjoewe posted:

Reminds me of someone describing Atari Teenage Riot as: 'You throwing a box full of office supplies down the stairs while your sister is being raped in the kitchen, your mother is vacuum cleaning the living room and your little brother is going through your old gabber records at full volume.'

Uncannily accurate

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

ATR's latest efforts have tried to make catchy dance music.

The gabber rape stapler music is far superior.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
What we need is more Seapunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfuH-rPvJoo

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Radiapathy posted:

Whenever I think "Trap" I think "kick drum bass line, sirens and guns." But I just this morning learned that some people think, "kitchen noises." I was all WTF until someone posted this example:

https://soundcloud.com/rogueuk/rattlesnake

And now I'm all LOLWTF.

More likes and listens than any of us will ever have ever.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Sizone posted:

More likes and listens than any of us will ever have ever.
Nah man, he cracked the code: Pots and pans samples. I just raided my gear closet (a.k.a. "kitchen cabinet") for a recording session.

SEE YOU ON BEATPORT'S TOP 100, CHUMPS!!!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Should we expect Le Creuset at NAMM next year? Discuss which wooden spoons sound better on the original borosilicate Pyrex measuring cups and how the new hardened glass just doesn't have the same warmth? I'm not ready for this.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Radiapathy posted:

Nah man, he cracked the code: Pots and pans samples. I just raided my gear closet (a.k.a. "kitchen cabinet") for a recording session.

SEE YOU ON BEATPORT'S TOP 100, CHUMPS!!!

I actually bought a Zoom H4N basically for this purpose. I work in a kitchen, but I haven't gotten around to sampling anything yet.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Should we expect Le Creuset at NAMM next year?

Hell yeah enameled steel is the way to go. Electrons can't survive in a teflon lattice.

quote:

Discuss which wooden spoons sound better on the original borosilicate Pyrex measuring cups and how the new hardened glass just doesn't have the same warmth? I'm not ready for this.

Soda glass a poo poo, come on. Gotta go vintage Pyrex and Fireking.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Flipperwaldt posted:

Should we expect Le Creuset at NAMM next year? Discuss which wooden spoons sound better on the original borosilicate Pyrex measuring cups and how the new hardened glass just doesn't have the same warmth? I'm not ready for this.

Buncha babies all demoing the units, all like "it's really fun!"

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Wow this has never happened before a musician going out to buy a little pot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

Radiapathy posted:

Whenever I think "Trap" I think "kick drum bass line, sirens and guns." But I just this morning learned that some people think, "kitchen noises."

All of these work, but do NOT forget the sample from Zelda of Navi saying "hey, listen!".

Oh, this generation.