Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Konig posted:

Is there any actual difference in size when they say "this basarios is 1000cm and this one is 1200cm"? Or is it all just numbers and they're all the exact same model size.

There is. It becomes much more pronounced when you start encountering dramatically larger or smaller monsters (marked by a silver or gold crown). If I recall correctly their hp also varies accordingly as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Just had a Dah'ren Mohran who never got into the position to let me get on top of him to hit him. Am i missing something about that fight? I only ever fought Jhen when I had to so i wouldnt be surprised if there is something I missed.
Also how do you trigger the harpoons with ropes on them in that fight? a hunter in multiplayer did that and i cant figure it out.

edit: oh apparently i should actually grab poo poo from the supply box instead of being an idiot and ignoring it all

Ashtarath fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 19, 2015

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

A Lamer posted:

Hello postin pals, I made this gang tag for the thread/personal use, feel free to use it if you'd like.

Alternative tags if anyone would prefer them. These other two need to be purchased as avatars first, as I don't think the title system accepts non SA urls.

The last MH I played was portable third and man, I'm really gobsmacked by the amount of content in this game over p3rd. I'm half way through the 4star village stuff and there's a massive amount of stuff left to do in singleplayer alone.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Tell me about meat shaking cats.

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
Fighting Monoblos is pretty much the least fun I've had in this game so far.

Yet I feel compelled to get his armor set and I'm just missing a Monoblos Heart, which has a 4% drop rate. Wyvern Gems have a 5% drop rate and I got 3 off of him in my last hunt from carves, and then another one in the quest rewards - I have 12 sitting in my storage from 6 fights.

I'm finally playing Monster Hunter for real.

Neo_Crimson posted:

So I figured out Monoblos, the trick is having a weapon with blue sharpness or higher (the Nerscylla CB is made for destroying him).

I got a Heart out of the deal too! Mono Armor here I come!

I had to give up IG to farm horns from him, so I picked up Hunting Horn, which I wanted to practice anyways, and it's insane how good it is at breaking his various parts.

Also Barrel Bomb L+ are amazing and I need to remember to use them more.

Crown Face fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 19, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Man Whore posted:

Tell me about meat shaking cats.

Tell me about spherical cats.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Countblanc posted:

Tell me about spherical cats.

Although it is tempting, you must refrain from rolling them as this messes with their digestive track.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

RuBisCO posted:

There is. It becomes much more pronounced when you start encountering dramatically larger or smaller monsters (marked by a silver or gold crown). If I recall correctly their hp also varies accordingly as well.

Some stats do adjust. In the same vein, taking the "Felyne Weakener" food effect will usually have a significantly smaller monster because it's weaker. It's especially noticeable when you take a quest with a pair of the same monster and they're both in one area.

I haven't heard anything about size being a factor to carves, but an off-hunt(unstable environment extra monster not part of the quest) does have better rates, from what I"m told.

If you don't take weakener for easier hunting of one monster, take the "Felyne Gamechanger", it guarantees the unstable environment has an extra monster.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

We need some avatar-sized MH shenanigans so I can make use of that gang tag. It doesn't quite go with a GKC avatar and god damnit this ten dollars isn't going to spend itself.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Bussamove posted:

We need some avatar-sized MH shenanigans so I can make use of that gang tag. It doesn't quite go with a GKC avatar and god damnit this ten dollars isn't going to spend itself.
You can even get 2!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Never been tempted by a gang tag before but drat that's good work.

Also I guess Gravios is the traditional "gently caress this monster in particular" monster for this generation for me. At what sharpness does he not just block every hit against his skin? Because whatever it is I'm going to make one with it and then come back and beat his rear end bloody.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Day 6: I'm not even sure if Huskberries even exist. Going to have to Lvl 1 Glaive this entire game.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Day 6: I'm not even sure if Huskberries even exist. Going to have to Lvl 1 Glaive this entire game.

Is the joke that you can buy them?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Emalde posted:

Is the joke that you can buy them?

Yes, my Co-Op buddy pretty much said exactly that on Skype. It's kind of insane how people just forget to do anything in town besides visiting The Man.

He'd never even had a meal before.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Wasted is the life that never finds secret areas through the power of a really great lunch.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

There is, according to kiranico, an 80% chance to get a Tigrex Tail as a carve from the tail of a Tigrex. I've fought 4 Tigrex in a row today, cutting off and carving their tails each time, and then capturing the Tigrex for optimal chances at getting a tail.

Not a single one has dropped so far. I think this is payback for me getting all those gore magala plates earlier.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Any tips for breaking gypceros heads?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

404GoonNotFound posted:

If you were a gunner you'd know these are available from the vendor for like 1 zenny :eng101:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

A Lamer posted:

Hello postin pals, I made this gang tag for the thread/personal use, feel free to use it if you'd like.

This is a good tag

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

The Moon Monster posted:

If you were a gunner you'd know these are available from the vendor for like 1 zenny :eng101:

You don't say :thejoke:

Maybe next time I'll toss in quotation marks...

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

So I have learned two things:

1) The first najarala I fought for its intro quest was around 4000cm or so. It was kind of a cakewalk. I fought the second one in an expedition and expected it to be easy as well. It was 4600cm~ and because of the drastic size increase was much, much harder to deal with. I assume there's some power up mechanic for expeditions because it was doing far more damage than the first one as well.

2) I hate najarala.

Also, zamtrios may be a "wat" monster in terms of how weird it looks, but the seltas queen is one of the most impressive fights to me.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Seltas queen has the best Palico armor, holy poo poo

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Bussamove posted:

Wasted is the life that never finds secret areas through the power of a really great lunch.

Too bad soda is gated behind HR4 and I forgot this because that was forever ago in MH3U (I just hit HR4 last night, I'm C*9 in village).

Colapops posted:

Also, zamtrios may be a "wat" monster in terms of how weird it looks, but the seltas queen is one of the most impressive fights to me.

Seltas Queen is literally a Metal Gear.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Is it worth it to buy an Power/Armorcharm? Their description makes them SEEM good but I don't know if there's some hidden mechanic to them that makes them not worthwhile.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

More attack is always good.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Powercharms are very useful.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yeah I was just worried it was going to turn out that they break if you die or something stupid like that.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

My HBG collection is starting to bloom in High Rank! I think the Najarala one looks the coolest, but it's pretty outclassed in actual combat. I upgraded my Rathian HBG to high rank level and since it's got three gem slots, I was finally able to get back the Perception that I missed from my low rank Nerscylla set. Now I've got Capture God, Capture Guru, and HG Earplugs whenever I use my Rathian gun. Tracking and trapping monsters with my gigantic fuckoff sniper rifle in tow: THIS is Monster Hunter.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

A Lamer posted:

This owns

Not been posting because ive been too busy playing but the game also owns, Charge Blade + Insect Glaive are cool as hell, my main weapon Gunlance got EVEN MORE situational upgrades (hell yeah and the online actually works really well!

Also all the new monster designs are really, really good

Probably the best monhun yet imo

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
Sword and Shield owns. I can mount monsters nearly as easily as Insect Glaives thanks to that incredibly awesome ascending jump up a ledge.

I pity fools who disregarded SnS thinking it's a novice weapon. It can do literally everything.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Sword and Shield owns. I can mount monsters nearly as easily as Insect Glaives thanks to that incredibly awesome ascending jump up a ledge.

I pity fools who disregarded SnS thinking it's a novice weapon. It can do literally everything.

This. I get more mounts online than anyone else, including IG users.

It seems to me that lots of players don't understand just how useful mounts are yet though - you don't just get the knockdown, but you get ~30 seconds where the monster isn't a threat to anyone.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I've given online a break until players learn that you hit the monster after the mount and not during. I keep getting grouped with people who aren't aware of this.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Cronodoculous posted:

My HBG collection is starting to bloom in High Rank! I think the Najarala one looks the coolest, but it's pretty outclassed in actual combat.

I'd actually disagree a bit--that's a great general-purpose HBG! I've actually seen it as a recommended HBG for HR on several Japanese wikis in fact. It was pretty much my mainstay throughout a big chunk of High Rank, especially when soloing since it's good with pellet shot. It's got no deviation, fast reload and low recoil, decent power especially when you slap a long barrel on it, and three gem slots. It also has huge magazines for normal shot, especially when you remove the limiter. If you leave the limiter on you can crouch fire paralysis shots on monsters and then go to town on them with crouched Normal 2 as well.

With my blue rath armor and that bowgun I would absolutely tear poo poo up since I had Normal + and Pellet+ gemmed in easily with its gem slots. It's not easy to get, but the armor from the event Kushaldaora is also amazing with that HBG as it gives you the hybrid skill of evade distance up + increased damage at full health, and increases magazine size even further, so that you can easily use it for effective Pierce shot as well.

The downside is it has jack and squat for elemental shots, but it's still a great weapon.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
So is there a way to get the jewels out of rusted equipment, or are they just stuck there forever?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

A Lamer posted:

This is a tag I can get behind

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

So is there a way to get the jewels out of rusted equipment, or are they just stuck there forever?

They're stuck there forever.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

A Lamer posted:

Now we need some MH related avatar material. This wouldn't work with 40k.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Drythe posted:

Now we need some MH related avatar material. This wouldn't work with 40k.

Are you suggesting heretics are not tasty?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Genpei Turtle posted:

They're stuck there forever.

Darn. I really wanted those true avarice 1 jewels. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Genpei Turtle posted:

I'd actually disagree a bit--that's a great general-purpose HBG! I've actually seen it as a recommended HBG for HR on several Japanese wikis in fact. It was pretty much my mainstay throughout a big chunk of High Rank, especially when soloing since it's good with pellet shot. It's got no deviation, fast reload and low recoil, decent power especially when you slap a long barrel on it, and three gem slots. It also has huge magazines for normal shot, especially when you remove the limiter. If you leave the limiter on you can crouch fire paralysis shots on monsters and then go to town on them with crouched Normal 2 as well.

With my blue rath armor and that bowgun I would absolutely tear poo poo up since I had Normal + and Pellet+ gemmed in easily with its gem slots. It's not easy to get, but the armor from the event Kushaldaora is also amazing with that HBG as it gives you the hybrid skill of evade distance up + increased damage at full health, and increases magazine size even further, so that you can easily use it for effective Pierce shot as well.

The downside is it has jack and squat for elemental shots, but it's still a great weapon.

Yeah I guess I should say it's outclassed by what I have now. I've got the Mohran, Rathian, and Zinogre HBGs, so I can usually switch to an elemental weakness for whatever I'm fighting. Honestly if I had the three slot version of the Naja, which is the next upgrade, I think I'd switch to it, since I could gem perception in. I hope Stygian Zinogre is soon, that's the monster parts I'm missing for the upgrade.

Edit: Weirdly I went and looked up the gun on Kiranico and he lists all ranks of the Naja HBG as loading all three pierce shots, but mine (and the next upgrade for it) only loads pierce 1. Does it gain all pierce shots later on? That would be amazing.

Cronodoculous fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 19, 2015

• Locked thread