Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
black potus
Jul 13, 2006
the bye forgot to reveal its morphs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
the bye had two explorations

e: two explores

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

I've got a slow-motion replay of the bye performing a pretty deceptive looking shuffle.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

gang sines posted:

round four pairings:

13) suicidesteve vs Ciprian Maricon

Can I just have one pairing that isn't unwinnable?!

Anyway, I'm available today - Friday 11/noonish til around 2, and later in the day Saturday and Sunday. Specific times depend on how long it takes me to scrub out of Legacy and Vintage.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Doomsday vs 12 post seems fun. I think I'm favored game 1, and we will probably get to see some super crazy high storm count piles.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

Can I just have one pairing that isn't unwinnable?!

I hate Xmage, I'm driving to Pennsylvania and were doing this in paper :getin:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I hate Xmage, I'm driving to Pennsylvania and were doing this in paper :getin:

Sweet! I'll provide commentary, you bring a video recorder.

Legacy is at noon Saturday. Vintage is noon Sunday. See you there. :v:

Oh, I'll also need to borrow a Bayou.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

quote:

19) Babylon Astronaut vs Tenjou Utena

Babylon Astronaut - I need to try and get this in sometime before Saturday AM central time, otherwise my schedule will be all wonky, and I may not be able to arrange a time.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Lonely Bridge! You piece of poo poo. Magic fight me.

I'll be available friday afternoon before 5 if you will, otherwise it's spotty through the weekend.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

gang sines posted:

4) C-Euro vs Phyrexian Librarian

My fiancee and I have tonight and tomorrow set aside for wedding planning but I'm pretty free after that and all through the weekend. I'm on Central time, PM me sometime and let's do this!

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

TenjouUtena posted:

Babylon Astronaut - I need to try and get this in sometime before Saturday AM central time, otherwise my schedule will be all wonky, and I may not be able to arrange a time.
That should work, my computer was broken for about a week but I'm back now. I get off work at 8 pm tomorrow (Wednesday). That would probably be best for me.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

C-Euro posted:

My fiancee and I have tonight and tomorrow set aside for wedding planning but I'm pretty free after that and all through the weekend. I'm on Central time, PM me sometime and let's do this!

OK I'm trying to arrange a date for Thurs/Fri so the weekend will probably be better. If you see me in the IRC chat, I'm ready to fight.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Procrastinator: I'll be on IRC when I'm able to play. It's possible that our times won't line up until the weekend, so don't worry too much if you don't see me online before then.

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

I beat Dr. Stab 2-0. Chalice and Ensnaring Bridge do work.

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Lonely Bridge! You piece of poo poo. Magic fight me.

I'll be available friday afternoon before 5 if you will, otherwise it's spotty through the weekend.

You'll get yours in due time Mr. LongDong. I'm usually available post 5PM Eastern time on weekdays, and probably a bit over the weekend.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Babylon Astronaut posted:

That should work, my computer was broken for about a week but I'm back now. I get off work at 8 pm tomorrow (Wednesday). That would probably be best for me.

I'll try and be around IRC then.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012

Wadjamaloo posted:

Doomsday vs 12 post seems fun. I think I'm favored game 1, and we will probably get to see some super crazy high storm count piles.

Most likely, yeah. I look forward to it! I'll be in IRC pretty much all day every day this week and weekend, thanks to Presidents Day week shenanigans (and have to use Cockatrice rather than Xmage, as before). Come Doomsday me!

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Wildfire 2-1 Perpetual Idiot

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

gang sines posted:

16) Trilas vs Chamale

Chamale, let's play some card games.

Trilas fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 19, 2015

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I'm home later at nights or in an out this weekend (EST).

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

gang sines posted:

6) GottaPayDaTrollToll vs muon
I'm available pretty much whenever, so just let me know what works for you.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

muon posted:

I'm available pretty much whenever, so just let me know what works for you.

I should be available right if you want to play; I don't have plat so hit me up on IRC.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ranpire posted:

Most likely, yeah. I look forward to it! I'll be in IRC pretty much all day every day this week and weekend, thanks to Presidents Day week shenanigans (and have to use Cockatrice rather than Xmage, as before). Come Doomsday me!
Hmm.. Whats up with xmage for you? Doomsday is actually impossible to resolve correctly on cockatrice (no way to move cards from a library to a library and keep them hidden) and its also a gigantic pain in the dick to resolve improperly. I guess I'd play on cockatrice if I have to, but I'm not looking forward to it.

VV OK, Well its not impossible but exiling n-5 cards one by one might as well be. Its also something that is actually fairly relevant given Ranpire's deck list.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 19, 2015

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Wadjamaloo posted:

Hmm.. Whats up with xmage for you? Doomsday is actually impossible to resolve correctly on cockatrice (no way to move cards from a library to a library and keep them hidden) and its also a gigantic pain in the dick to resolve improperly. I guess I'd play on cockatrice if I have to, but I'm not looking forward to it.

Can't you just search your library and exile all but the 5 you want, then stack your deck? Seems clunky, but doable.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Snacksmaniac posted:

I'm home later at nights or in an out this weekend (EST).

You free Friday night between 7 and midnight EST?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Streaming vs ranpire http://www.twitch.tv/esporks

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Babylon Astronaut takes it 2-1.

Fist game I got delvered. Second game he had a weak hand to hand disruption then I doomsdayed him out. Third game I put cruel bargain in my MD instead of side board for some ungodly reason and couldn't win.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Thanks to Ranpire for putting up with my horrible slowplay. My head really hurts now. He wins it 2-1

g1 was interesting I knew he had engineered explosives in his hand, but EE for 0 wasn't even on my radar. I made a pass the turn pile and he was able to EE my LED and lock me out.
I think I might have been able to construct a different pile to play around EE had I been thinking about it. I also think there was some sort of way to recover and set up a kill for next turn but I couldn't find it. I am going to go back and look at this one.

g2 I don't remember much, but I played some disruption and I comboed off.

g3 was insanely intense. He opened up with a chalice on 0. For the majority of the game my hand was DR, DR, DR, DD, and he was at 28 life drawing blanks. Each turn I was drawing some sort of cantrip and having to tank for 5 minutes to try and find anything. Every pile I thought of was either one mana short, one storm short, or one chain of vapor short.
Eventually I assembled a 15 storm pile, but he had a flusterstorm floating on an SDT for the win.

Did I mention my head really hurts?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
I have a last minute trip i need to take and won't have access to a computer until monday. I'll take a loss if necessary but could we extend it

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
Confirming I have barely, in three incredible games, defeated Wadjamaloo's Doomsday with my 1211Post 2 games to 1.

Game 1: My maindeck has almost no interaction vs storm or storm-like combo, so I went into this one not expecting very much. However, I open up a hand with Pithing Needle and Engineered Explosives, two of the only cards that could actually maybe do something, so sure why not? Wad wins the roll and opens with Duress, choosing to take the Needle since he had a Top of his own coming down. However, I think this might have come back to haunt him. On my turn 3, I have to make a decision about playing and holding up EE for either 1 or 0. I'd never actually seen Doomsday go off before and didn't know how it works very well - in fact for the entire match, I thought Chain of Vapor was actually Echoing Truth and that there might be some storm and mana shenanigans going on with playing and bouncing multiple LEDs/petals.

But regardless, I choose zero, hoping to complicate his mana... and it turned out that EE for 0 was completely not on Wad's radar, and catches him trying to play multiple LEDs after Doomsdaying, leaving him unable to come up with a kill. At least, not one that he could figure out, and I was still sweating and confused but gladly accepted my somehow-not-dead status.

Between games: 14 sideboard cards come in for me, everything but the Pithing Needle. Glacial Chasm, Karakas, Needles, and most copies of my heel-spinning business and some prime times come out, though I did keep in a Repeal or two for blue spell count and fear of Xantid Swarm. Not sure if that's correct. All the counters and Chalice definitely have to come in though, Depths/Stage comes in as my fastest tutorable proactive win, and Tabernacle comes in because it beats Empty the Warrens.

Game 2: Mulligans go badly, I barely see any lands or sideboard cards, and I believe I end up on a 5 card hand with Chalice of the Void and not much else relevant. Wad plays turn 1 Duress, in fact multiple Duress IIRC, and goes off through my holding up Crop Rotation for either Bojuka Bog or Glimmerpost, not needing to do any cycles and storming out for exactly enough that getting Glimmerpost isn't good enough. If I'd chosen to play a Glimmerpost from my hand rather than a Cloudpost I'd have had a couple more life, but it's very likely a pile could be formed to circumvent that.

Game 3: This was the nailbiter. I think this game was over an hour by itself. Once again, my opening hand contains Chalice of the Void... along with Candelabra, Tabernacle, Eye of Ugin, Cloudpost, Glimmerpost, Vesuva. No colored mana, no colored spells. Chalice seems reeeeaaaallly good in this matchup, though... like, unbeatably good if I can get it down for 1, and still pretty good on 0, forcing Chain of Vapor to be part of any Doomsday pile, which in turn hurts the ability to storm out for values over 10, and if I can gain life off that Glimmerpost and Vesuva... it seems worth a shot.

I consider going for Chalice on 1 if Wad mulligans, but he snap keeps his seven and I can see the pile of Duresses in my mind's eye. So Chalice for 0 it is, and indeed, Duresses roll out in quick succession over the next few turns. Fortunately, I draw a Misty and then a Crop Rotation, getting up to 28 life, and eventually turn Eye of Ugin online... but by playing out Chalice and Crop, I'd let the discard take away my Candelabra and Show and Tell, and ended up 1 mana short of actually casting Ulamog.

Every single turn, since around turn 4, Wad's been tanking for a while on his turn. It's clear that he has Doomsday and some other pieces in hand, and is very close to going off. BUT HOW CLOSE?! It sounds weird, but playing against this was really tense and fun, even though I was mostly just speculating on my own possible topdecks, hiding information and trying to maximize my chances of survival. I went for Vesuva on Glimmerpost rather than Cloudpost, for instance, and while it set my mana back significantly I think being at the higher life total to stall kept me alive many turns longer than I would have had otherwise.

My draws this game are incredibly good, though, and instead of the last land for Ulamog I draw Swan Song, and then Top, and Top reveals Force of Will, Force of Will, Show and Tell. Wad starts playing spells and my heart jumps into my throat... but it's only cantrips into Chain, which I counter with the Swan Song. (I have no idea if using Swan Song on that was correct or if I should have waited, let the Chalice bounce and then try to counter a Doomsday or something and replay Chalice for 1.)

The turn passes, i draw Force into my hand with another Force known about that I can top for and pitch, things seem ok. BUT THEN! 3x Dark Ritual into Doomsday happens. I can't counter that, can I? Surely he's thought of this and just has a second Doomsday in hand to run out, and I should try to counter the draw spell or whatever happens later, I think... and spin the top once more... revealing Flusterstorm as the new visible card.

Well. I figure that has to be good and I'll just act like I have no blue card on top for the Force (which is known about via a Gitaxian Probe), wait everything out and then Flusterstorm the kill card. That seems pretty airtight, and as we talk it out, it indeed is.

That game, though. What a nailbiter. Glad to see Doomsday, awesome deck, awesome players, awesome games. Thanks to Wad and thanks for Thunderdome.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

born on a buy you posted:

I have a last minute trip i need to take and won't have access to a computer until monday. I'll take a loss if necessary but could we extend it

yeah, deadline moved for now to TUESDAY 8AM EST but let me know if you need more time

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Wadjamaloo posted:

VV OK, Well its not impossible but exiling n-5 cards one by one might as well be. Its also something that is actually fairly relevant given Ranpire's deck list.

Hold shift while clicking and dragging cards that you want for doomsday on to the battlefield. It keeps them face down.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ranpire posted:

though I did keep in a Repeal or two for blue spell count and fear of Xantid Swarm. Not sure if that's correct.
Short of counterspells, ways to kill or bounce top are really hard to play around and it becomes a guessing game. If I try to CoV my top, you can repeal it and make CoV fizzle and then I don't even get a chance to copy CoV onto your card. If I have something like 2 tops and LED in play and stack IU > LED > LED > DD > BW
My plan is to aqctivate top draw IU, put top on top. IU drawing Top, LED, LED. Replay top, crack LED, top for DD, loop another pile. If you repeal the first top activation then my IU draws LED, LED, Doomsday and my pile is broken since I can't use the LEDs to pay for the DD in my hand.
The trouble is that you never really know if I built a pile where repealing my top does anything or not. If I build IU, LED, GP, LED, BW the pile works either way, but thats not always an option.
Top on top, cast IU draw top, LED, GP. Replay top, GP draw LED, crack LED, top for BW.
If you repeal top, IU Draws LED, LED, GP. I just play the LED, GP into BW and crack LED in response.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Can someone tell me if ableist kinkshamer has platinum or not? I'm on my phone and cannot see.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

gang sines posted:

round four pairings:

8) netcat vs Hobojim

Alright then, let me know when you're okay to play. I'm pretty flexible.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

always be closing posted:

Can someone tell me if ableist kinkshamer has platinum or not? I'm on my phone and cannot see.

yes and his name is currently Starving Autist

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
C-Euro I've got the night off if you do, meet me in IRC if you're up for playing

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I will also need the extension, since Monday is the first time I'll be able to play. After this week I promise it'll be much easier to coordinate games with me!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

C-Euro I've got the night off if you do, meet me in IRC if you're up for playing

I might, if I do I'll be in IRC around 9:30 CST or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Round 4, DDFT (me) vs 12 post (ranpire)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwSQTnXnBIM

• Locked thread