Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I stopped playing in the era of burled wood. I still pop in to see if it's been fixed occasionally. The thing that's going on nowadays is that resources are really quite easy to get unless you want to actually make something. For building you need bulk resources which take forever to gather except with high-level tools, and for tools, armors, weapons, whatever, you need "aspects" that only come from disenchanting tools, armors, weapons, whatever. So you have to kill monsters until they drop rare gear which is usually trash but exists entirely to disenchant for aspects.

And also the game still runs just as bad as it did the day I first installed it. Also they put in caves but then they ran too lovely so they took out caves but you can teleport to a cave from the island nexus, but the cave it takes you to is lovely and tiny and might as well not exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

itsnice2bnice posted:

You can also talk with one of the lead devs about the important topic of "Ogres, Orcs, and Goblins" here: http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/2w9n3m/ogres_orcs_and_goblins/

quote:

What do you want to see in EQN's versions of them?

That's interesting, I wonder what they

quote:

EDIT: To clarify, we're not revamping ogres. We like the design we've already shown to you.

Uh, okay, then?

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
I really regret buying the founders pack. I regret even more not asking for a refund when it became clear that things like constant server wipes and upkeep were both in effect. Add to that the weirdo bugs for actually building things, lovely perfomance and the only thing the game was a bad survival mode knock off of minecraft it's not hard to see why we abandoned it so quickly.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hu Fa Ted posted:

I really regret buying the founders pack. I regret even more not asking for a refund when it became clear that things like constant server wipes and upkeep were both in effect. Add to that the weirdo bugs for actually building things, lovely perfomance and the only thing the game was a bad survival mode knock off of minecraft it's not hard to see why we abandoned it so quickly.

not even survival mode. Can monsters even invade your land area? If they were planning a survival/creative game, then combat and monsters should have been in sooner than some tools to improve on the basics. If they wanted creative first and then go towards survival, then it should of had unlimited materials for everyone to just go crazy making things. Also, why is there land rent? Who is collecting it? Why in a beta game where they want our creative juices flowing to make awesome things for eqnext do we also have a land charge to make things?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

not even survival mode. Can monsters even invade your land area? If they were planning a survival/creative game, then combat and monsters should have been in sooner than some tools to improve on the basics. If they wanted creative first and then go towards survival, then it should of had unlimited materials for everyone to just go crazy making things. Also, why is there land rent? Who is collecting it? Why in a beta game where they want our creative juices flowing to make awesome things for eqnext do we also have a land charge to make things?

They had to add the rent because there were a ton of people who joined the game, claimed land, dropped some crafting tables, and then quit forever. The remaining players then demanded upkeep so they could get prime spots. Of course when those players built their masterpieces and then quit forever, SOE realized their mistake.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Mung Dynasty posted:

What's even known about EQN, anyway? It feels like ages ago when information started showing up and it had an okay art style and terrain deformation and that was about it.

Since then there's been almost zero information on classes, gameplay style, whether its sandbox or themepark, etc. It's been at least a couple years now. Aside from Hole Digging Simulator 2014, is there even a game at all?

RCarr posted:

Nope, they got all us suckers to pay for Landmark and they are gonna take their money and run.

lmao @ this in retrospect

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Just goes to show that you should never ever buy founders for anything unless its really cheap, like say, twenty bucks or so!

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 20, 2015

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I also regret my ~50bux or whatever it was. I bought in back when I still believed in paying for things that weren't finished yet (and a love for the original EQ). It ended up being a lesson I suppose.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
What suckered me in was the fact that it was an actual company with actual titles under their belt who was spouting all the "PLAYABLE ALPHA/BETA!" this time around. Compared to some nobody idea guy on Kickstarter/Greenlight, or some lone "visionary" that hasn't actually released a game in years (hello Chris Roberts!) that counted for a lot. I mean hell I knew it was :soe: but hey, it was a chance to gently caress around with some experimental tech and maybe even get some minor acknowledgment when the game actually released. Even then though I didn't expect them to bungle things this hard. If nothing else I expected them to actually release a final, relatively stable release version, but it's looking more and more likely that even that's never going to happen.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

What suckered me in was the fact that it was an actual company with actual titles under their belt who was spouting all the "PLAYABLE ALPHA/BETA!" this time around.
Same thinking that suckered me into the first Final Fantasy 14. Avoid it, my friend :)

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Don't bother watching the Q&A stream for EQNext / Landmark if you haven't already. Have a brief summary instead:

- No ETA on open beta for Landmark or any sort of alpha, beta or release date for EQNext.
- EQNext might not be F2P, I guess they might try to go for B2P or whatever.
- Jeremy Soule is still making music.
- The Storybricks people are no longer involved, further AI stuff will be developed inhouse instead.
- They're working on the ability to sit on furniture ingame.
- EQNext will have instancing.
- Both EQNext and Landmark will have helmets.
- Twitch chat proposes EverQuest Next changes its name to EverQuest Never.
- SOE DaybreakGames developer tweets about how he thinks the people in chat are unappreciative idiots.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
lmao this game gonna never get released

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

itsnice2bnice posted:

- Jeremy Soule is still making music.
- They're working on the ability to sit on furniture ingame.
- EQNext will have instancing.
- Both EQNext and Landmark will have helmets.

Yes these all sound like meaningful design goals and not completely pointless minute meant to divert attention from the games utter lack of content.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Helmets? Sign me the gently caress up!

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
They were worried that brad was beating them out for the most vaporware upcoming eq related game. Next they'll be telling us that eqnext will have skeletons.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Helmets? Sign me the gently caress up!

Nah bitch, you give it up too easily.

Only if they have little wings on them.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I am always really happy when a year and a half of my reflexive negativity winds up coming true.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Abandoning Storybricks means all the "orcs and goblins have lives and motivations and dynamically change their behavior based on etc etc etc" stuff will never exist or be in the game in any form at all. Goodbye interesting features.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

Kelp Plankton posted:

Abandoning Storybricks means all the "orcs and goblins have lives and motivations and dynamically change their behavior based on etc etc etc" stuff will never exist or be in the game in any form at all. Goodbye interesting features.

Sorry, but if you ever thought that was going to exist in any form ever (considering that the engine barely even runs with no AI in place), you probably deserve the disappointment.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Harettazetta posted:

Sorry, but if you ever thought that was going to exist in any form ever (considering that the engine barely even runs with no AI in place), you probably deserve the disappointment.

What he described doesn't sound far from the Nemesis system in shadow of mordor so it's not that crazy to think it was achievable by one of the most well established mmo companies in the industry.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

bonds0097 posted:

What he described doesn't sound far from the Nemesis system in shadow of mordor so it's not that crazy to think it was achievable by one of the most well established mmo companies in the industry.

Yeah that's how I saw it. I thought it was a total dumbass pipe dream, then I played Mordor and realized that maybe, just maybe, such a crazy idea wasn't so crazy for a big rear end company like SOE.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Some people are rationalizing it saying Daybreak got what they needed from Storybricks and are just continuing what they were doing or something. I don't know, I'm skeptical of all of it, especially in light of recent developments. Maybe things are on track and will be fine or maybe the layoffs struck a major blow to development. I still think it sounded like a weak stream

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It always sounded like a bit of an overhyped feature to me. I never expected something that complex would actually happen. If it makes it in in some form, it will just be easy to manipulate, people will figure out the algorithm, etc.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

bonds0097 posted:

The last video I saw regarding EQNext a couple months ago, it isn't nearly as interesting. I suppose there's some parallel in regards to factions randomly bashing against eachother, npcs gathering resources and using it to rebuild poo poo over and over, but it still came off as horribly lifeless.

Sludge_McBain
Jul 24, 2012

Whisky not Whiskey
I keep checking out the patch notes hoping they have got this somewhere near a game and leave disapointed.

I am glad I didn't pay for the access but got an alpha key from a fellow Goon, otherwise I would be kicking myself.

I can kind of see what they are trying to do but can't see how they are going to pull it off. They want people to create fantastic medieval structures in an open sandbox way but because it is sandbox, people end up creating everything but.

Also, the voxel based building system takes way too much time to make something good imo.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
For what it's worth, the blueprint has been updated with a warning of an upcoming character/claim wipe about a month from now. New islands, new biomes, claim vendors (maybe), and monetization of claim flags. No details on the flags, but if they keep the current 5 or so claims free, that should be plenty for anyone not going for a scale model recreation of minas tirith.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Last night I sat down at my PC ready to play some games. I glanced across my desktop and my steam library, trying to decide what I would waste a few hours on. Then I saw it, that little yellow and blue badge. In a fit of rage, I screamed... Then clicked Everquest 2 as I wept for what could have been.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

K:CID:X
so i guess the hope this would fix my itch for oldschool ffxi or EQ style OG MMO gameplay was lost.
i was skeptical to begin with. id litrally kill everyone who ever so much as textured a bush in world of warcraft because instancing and cross server poo poo, plus kill 10 rats quests have genuinely ruined MMORPG gameplay and the experience of the MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER element.

whats DOAC looking like, is it a game with where you have 4 hotbars with abilities you press one button for and wait for a GCD? i forgot GCDs are also pathetic excuse for lack of proper depth

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Old school mmos were terrible. So are new ones tho. Mmos are just bad in general imo.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Just come play EQ2 before the doors slam shut.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

taels posted:

so i guess the hope this would fix my itch for oldschool ffxi or EQ style OG MMO gameplay was lost.
i was skeptical to begin with. id litrally kill everyone who ever so much as textured a bush in world of warcraft because instancing and cross server poo poo, plus kill 10 rats quests have genuinely ruined MMORPG gameplay and the experience of the MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER element.

whats DOAC looking like, is it a game with where you have 4 hotbars with abilities you press one button for and wait for a GCD? i forgot GCDs are also pathetic excuse for lack of proper depth

If you are looking for something that has a bit of a punishing feel more like UO then EQ get in on the next Alpha wave of Albion Online it's going to be F2P, but right now you have to pay to test it (which is for 1 month at a time, every 6 months). That said I'm not sure how much fun the game will be after the server running for 2-3 so its a pretty good way to get more play time with resets.

I'm not sure how you expect Landmark to be an MMO at all really, its more like Minecraft then a traditional MMO.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Game is dead, huh.

Serves 'em right. Dark elves with horns and orc Ogres. :smugwizard:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
A wipe has occurred, but it's not the transition to open beta wipe.

Good news: Some of the stupid grindy poo poo has been dropped. Certain common tier 1 blocks are infinite in quantity, like dirt, stone, ice, ect..

Bad news: Even with combat there's still nothing to do. The new islands are just as lovely as the last ones, but perhaps a little smaller and slightly easier to navigate. Flat land is an anathema to these guys and it makes picking a spot difficult without having to make some ugly terraform jobs. They also decided to give up on being able to dig all the way through the earth.

Feel free to keep ignoring this game.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
is EQ Next out soon?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Moola posted:

is EQ Next out soon?

Dude, it's out right NOW! If you mean some sort of final state... Let's just still assume it's coming out.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Rudolfo from Storybricks posting about the closure of storybricks

https://medium.com/@rodolfor/storybricks-is-no-more-f26b0980e62e

I wouldn't say that the AI was as important in storybricks as the graphical interface that came with it.

The goal was that any quest / monster designer could quickly build a series of intelligent seeming behaviours with a lego block like interface.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Landmark might look like a dead & poo poo game, but apparently there are still suckers working in it for Daybreak for free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oFnKhQMIVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj1_gq4E2zY

I have no idea what drives these people or what they're thinking.

itsnice2bnice fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 1, 2015

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

itsnice2bnice posted:

Landmark might look like a dead & poo poo game, but apparently there are still suckers working in it for Daybreak for free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oFnKhQMIVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj1_gq4E2zY

I have no idea what drives these people or what they're thinking.

They like building stuff.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Learning how to use Maya or even Blender is easier and actually useful if you're even slightly interested in game development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

I like how they zoom out just enough in that video so the super distortion thing doesn't happen that makes your stuff look like poo poo.

• Locked thread