Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mineaiki posted:

I know it's hard to conceive of because you've got a much more open mind than these people, but try to open your mind a little more and realize that they view allowing criticism of U.S. actions to any significant degree as slandering the country. I'm not saying they're right, but it never hurts to be able to see your political opponent's perspective.

Yes obviously these people are dumb and think that Noah rode dinosaurs and that describing slavery as anything other than a benevolent and ennobling institution for Christianizing the pagans is slandering America, and they think they are doing good and not evil. People who voted for Jim Crow also thought it was Godly and right too, so what?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The whole "This is gonna get so apocalyptic even those heathen LIBERALS won't like it!" is a new way to spin fear to me.

They've been using this for awhile on anyone who doesn't want to nuke the MIddle East and deport all Muslims. "Liberals want Muslims to take over America and institute Sharia law, and they don't even realize that conservatives are the real defenders of gays and women! Once Muslims starting lynching gays and putting women in burkas, the liberals will wish they'd let us kill all Muslims when they had the chance!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

The comments are glorious. When data disproves your bullshit, racist theories, it must be that the data are wrong. The data, which are reported by the vaccine manufacturers, independently verified by NGOs like the WHO, are incorrect somehow, but our racist theories based on nothing, and which we cannot produce and evidence for, must be correct.

The prevailing argument seems to be "You can't drink the tap water in Central American countries, therefore their reported vaccination rates are lies because [reasons]."

Rock solid logic there.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Pervis posted:

It also fits in with the massive voter suppression scheme Republican SoS's (CrossCheck) have going on in the south/midwest where states exchange lists of voters and then if you have the same first name/last name (even if DoB, SS, and middle names are different) they are disqualified from voting. Magically the ways it's applied it's not so much about John Smith's but Jesus Lopez.

http://projects.aljazeera.com/2014/double-voters/

It's ideal Republican policy - makes it much harder to vote, specifically targets minorities and those who can't fight it, and also provides lots of propaganda to the base since obviously everyone it stops is some fraudulent vote that would've been for the Democrats.
I always love reading about the times that Republicans try technology and it backfires on them :allears:

I remember reading this article on how Romney's campaign used some algorithm called ORCA in 2012 to gather data and target voters, except it was a ginormous disaster and incapable of doing anything on election night.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

On February 9, 2015, the public health reporters at the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel wrote a fairly straightforward article about the surge in Pertussis cases this year, and attributed it to: a weaker vaccine, genetic changes in the pertussis bacterium, and the rise of anti-vax websites and waivers. A full 5% of Wisconsin Kindegarten students had religious objection waivers during the 2013-14 school year.

Our friends at Drudge tweeted out the article, and this happened:
"I'm so loving mad these dirty illegal browns are slinking into America and getting things like free health care!*"
*somehow magically when millions of actual citizens still go bankrupt over medical bills

"I'm so loving mad these disgusting unvaccinated immigrants are spreading diseases to my glorious white child!"

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Hazo posted:

"I'm so loving mad these disgusting unvaccinated immigrants are spreading diseases to my glorious white child!"

That's 16 words.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

VideoTapir posted:

That's 16 words.

Pull out the "so loving" and you're set.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Pope Guilty posted:

Pull out the "so loving" and you're set.

I dunno, for these folks you can probably just leave out "disgusting unvaccinated" as implied. Casts a wider net, too.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Holy poo poo

what

Seriously, I read plenty of news sites and a ton of the threads on here and I've never seen this article or heard anyone reference it and it was published last October. :catstare:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Hazo posted:

"I'm so loving mad these dirty illegal browns are slinking into America and getting things like free health care!*"

There's a certain irony that casts just the slightest smile on my face whenever people in America get really angry about people from other lands bringing deadly diseases with them.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Obama isn't blowing poo poo up fast enough and is oppressing my white, Christian, rear end!
http://humanevents.com/2015/02/18/crusaders-and-appeasers/
:cry:

quote:

Russia pushes deep into eastern Ukraine. The Islamic State burns to death a Jordanian pilot. Iran extends its hegemony over four Arab capitals — Beirut, Damascus, Baghdad and now Sanaa.

And America watches. Obama calls the policy “strategic patience.” That’s a synonym for “inaction,” made to sound profoundly “strategic.”

Take Russia. The only news out of Obama’s one-hour press conference with Angela Merkel this week was that he still can’t make up his mind whether to supply Ukraine with defensive weapons. The Russians have sent in T-80 tanks and Grad rocket launchers. We’ve sent in humanitarian aid that includes blankets, MREs and psychological counselors.

How complementary: The counselors do grief therapy for those on the receiving end of the T-80 tank fire. “I think the Ukrainian people can feel confident that we have stood by them,” said Obama at the news conference.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 19, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The thing that really kills me there is when he says "I'm center right".

:stare:

People loving love identifying as centralists, moderate, whatever, and it's loving annoying. A local democrat came to talk to my university's Gender and Sexuality group's leaders, and kept saying over and over again how moderate she was despite saying exclusively progressive ideas. I mean she wasn't Full Communist or anything but every question I asked her waxed that way. I guess it makes you sound more rational or intelligent or something but christ I hate it.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Acquilae posted:

I always love reading about the times that Republicans try technology and it backfires on them :allears:

I remember reading this article on how Romney's campaign used some algorithm called ORCA in 2012 to gather data and target voters, except it was a ginormous disaster and incapable of doing anything on election night.

Yea, imagine if they tried to roll out a healthcare website.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Countblanc posted:

People loving love identifying as centralists, moderate, whatever, and it's loving annoying. A local democrat came to talk to my university's Gender and Sexuality group's leaders, and kept saying over and over again how moderate she was despite saying exclusively progressive ideas. I mean she wasn't Full Communist or anything but every question I asked her waxed that way. I guess it makes you sound more rational or intelligent or something but christ I hate it.

Everyone is middle class, too.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

People are chickenshits who don't want to publicly acknowledge their social superiority to others. Partly because they don't want to offend anyone but moreso because they are afraid of confrontation and want to be liked. This is why people don't call out other people when they say blatantly racist/homophobic/misogynist things outside of anonymous internet comment sections. The greatest victory the American rightwing has achieved has been poisoning labels like feminist and progressive as pejoratives used only to describe radical thoughts and ideals. The left has failed because conservative is a proud label that the right has been able to unify under.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Crowder goes to a college to talk about 1st amendment. Blames professor, parents and the left wing media.

https://t.co/dBYjJPvKMy

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Crowder goes to a college to talk about 1st amendment. Blames professor, parents and the left wing media.

Wow I really hate this guy. So much.

"Don't call people faggots?! What about my 1st amendment rights?!" seems to be the argument, with no introspection whatsoever.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

robotsinmyhead posted:

Wow I really hate this guy. So much.

"Don't call people faggots?! What about my 1st amendment rights?!" seems to be the argument, with no introspection whatsoever.

I've heard this exact argument used by a rich sheltered white boy from San Diego. :qq: those bakers getting sued by the gays have a different perspective, you shouldn't INSULT them for it! :qq:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Matt Walsh is a goddamn idiot

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/adhd-definitely-doesnt-exist-but-if-it-did-i-would-have-it/

ADHD Definitely Doesn’t Exist, But If It Did I Would Have It

quote:

Let’s establish one thing up front: I have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. I mean, if ADHD existed as an actual disease, I would have it. I should say, I have all of the “symptoms” that the mainstream medical and educational establishment currently view as proof of a disorder called ADHD. However you want to phrase this, it’s important for you to understand that I have “personal experience” here.

Even now, I daydream all the time. I can’t sit still. I can’t concentrate on mundane tasks. I get lost in my own head. I forget things. I can’t stay on one train of thought for very long. At this very moment, I have four different word documents open on my computer and I am working on four different posts at the same time. Three of them will never be published or completed. Ask my wife, she’ll tell you all about it. Ask my high school chemistry teacher who failed me once, made me repeat the class, then finally gave me an unearned passing grade the following year because he didn’t want to deal with me again. Ask anyone who knows me. If ADHD is a disease, I have it. I have it in spades. I have the deluxe king sized version. I have ADHD Turbo. ADHD on steroids.

Except that I don’t.

I have all of the “symptoms,” but I don’t have a disorder because there is no disorder. There might be people with legitimate disorders who get labeled with this one, but this one, this specific thing we refer to as ADHD, is a godforsaken lie. I don’t care who is upset by that statement, who will stop reading me because I said it, or how many angry and disappointed Facebook comments are coming my way.ADHD is a fraud.

I think most of us can look at that list and viscerally recognize it as a load of unholy bull crap. There are many reasons to view ADHD as a fraud, but let’s start with the fact that at the very beginning, before you take one step into the issue, it already makes no sense. Impulsive? Impatient? These are personality traits, not medical conditions.

Daydream? Talk a lot? Interrupt? These are behaviors, not symptoms of a disease. And not just any behaviors or any personality traits, but exceedingly normal ones for children. Probably the most normal ones you could possibly name.

Now you might say, well yes, they’re normal, but some kids, like, talk A LOT, and daydream A LOT, and interrupt A LOT.

To that I’d respond: yeah, still pretty normal.

Have you met kids recently? If not, I’d like to introduce you sometime. I’ve never encountered one who doesn’t act this way, and I’ve encountered plenty of kids. I have two of my own, plus I grew up with six siblings, I went to public school, my mom runs a daycare, and I have nine nieces and nephews under the age of 10. I’m around kids all the time. Come to Thanksgiving at the Walsh household this year — it’s madness. Daydreaming, fidgeting, running, interrupting all over the place. And that’s just me. Wait until all the kids show up.

But maybe you have kids who do these things A LOT A LOT. Beyond the normal a lot, and into the realm of REALLY A LOT. Alright, fine. So where’s the cut off?

We take these behaviors that we all agree are normal, we apply them to a subset of the species — children — who we all agree are predisposed to exhibit them more often, and we decide that somewhere along that spectrum it goes from “OK” to “symptomatic of a mental disorder.”

What? How? Why? Where? When? I mean, how specifically can you determine when a behavior crosses over from normal to not normal, and then how can you determine if the non-normalness of it is a disease as opposed to just their unique personality?

What is the standard? What is the proper amount of attention? How do you even quantify attention? If their attention is “deficient,” what is the exact Sufficient Attention Ideal of which they are falling short? And what is the correct amount of daydreaming a child should engage in? And how are we all not severely creeped out that we’re even having a conversation about the proper amount of daydreaming? What is this, “The Giver”? And if a behavior can be normal, how can it also be on the spectrum of a disease? How can something be fundamentally healthy and fundamentally symptomatic of a mental defect?

Why is it that the standard rules for medical procedure seem to be suddenly suspended when ADHD is on the table?

Let’s look at an Actual Sickness for comparison. Let’s look at dementia. There’s an honest-to-God mental disease. It’s also a disease that can be physically observed in the human body. You can see it quite unmistakably in a brain scan. And there are clear symptoms, like hallucinations. Notice, there isn’t a spectrum where acceptable hallucinations graduate into unacceptable hallucinations. Hallucinations are always bad, to any degree whatsoever. If you have them, something is wrong. Definitely. It might not be dementia, it might just be that you’re lost in a desert and suffering from heat stroke and malnutrition, but there is certainly something wrong. That’s because hallucinating, unlike daydreaming or talking or feeling bored, is objectively unnatural and abnormal. It is not a part of the healthy human experience, so if you experience it, go to the doctor.

ADHD cannot be observed and its symptoms all consist of regular human behaviors because there is no proof at all that it is a psychological disorder stemming from any kind of chemical imbalance. Don’t take my word for it, take it from this letter written by doctors and signed by members of the International Center for the Study of Psychiatry and Psychology and members of the American Psychological Association. And don’t take their word for it, take it from your own logical mind. Remember, ”becomes bored with a task unless it’s enjoyable” is actually listed as the symptom of a disease in children. This is nonsense. This is beyond nonsense. This is lunacy. Isn’t everyone bored by unenjoyable things? Especially children? Especially children in school, which is without a doubt extremely boring?

asked how we know when these behaviors, personality traits, and activities cross the mysterious divide from “normal” to “CALL A DOCTOR.” I was being facetious. I know the answer. It’s described right here in the Mayo Clinic’s fact sheet about ADHD:

In general, a child shouldn’t receive a diagnosis of ADHD unless the core symptoms of ADHD start early in life and create significant problems at home and at school on an ongoing basis.

Translation: it’s a disease if it turns into a hassle.

ADHD is the only “disorder” (well, besides the other ones psychiatrists have fabricated over the years) where the diagnosis relies not on what is actually happening within the body of the patient, but in how it’s received by the people around the patient. It is a disease based on context.

Here’s a fun riddle: If a kid has ADHD in the forest but nobody is there to be inconvenienced by it, does he still have a disease? Nope. Not according to the medical establishment.

Better question: if someone talks and runs around a lot and exhibits non stop energy on the sales floor at a busy car dealership, does he have ADHD? Nope. He’s just a good salesman. That’s because his job requires those traits, but school doesn’t. But who says we’re “supposed” to be suited for public school and not to sell overpriced cars? Who makes these determinations? Who decides how a person is supposed to be? “Talkative” and “energetic” are listed as signs of ADHD, and in the job descriptions for pretty much any position in sales, promotions, or marketing. Weird, huh?

If you can type the “symptoms” of a disease into the search bar on Monster.com and find most of them listed as necessary traits for thousands of jobs, something is wrong. Or nothing is wrong, which is the point here.

ADHD is not a matter of psychology or neurology, but of institutions. Schools can’t deal with kids who act this way, parents don’t want to deal with them, daycares aren’t equipped to deal with them, and society at large has no patience for any of it — so, we call it a disease and start passing out the prescription strength speed.

Does any Actual Illness work this way? If you go to the doctor complaining about bronchitis, will he ask you if the bronchitis is “creating problems at work on an ongoing basis”? No, because that doesn’t matter. Bronchitis is bronchitis is bronchitis. But ADHD is only ADHD in very specific circumstances. Public school, by the way, is a very specific (and temporary) circumstance. A child’s inability to succeed in that environment might be troubling for his parents, but it is not itself proof or indication of a mental defect. Why don’t we ever stop to consider that the defect lies in the institution that cannot function unless millions of its students are hopped up on drugs?

I’m often informed it’s a “myth” that ADHD is so vague that anyone could waltz into the doctor’s office and come away with a diagnosis. But declaring it a myth doesn’t make it one. The reality is that anyone really can get ADHD if that’s what they want (or what their parents want). That’s why parents often get viciously defensive when you question the disorder. They want it to be true because it’s a nice and clean “answer” with a nice and clean (and dangerous, with the potential for devastating long term side effects) chemical “solution.”

Maybe I’m being unfair. It’s not quite so simple, after all. The Center for Disease Control explains that children can only be diagnosed if they have “six or more symptoms of inattention for children up to age 16, or five or more for adolescents 17 and older and adults; symptoms of inattention [must be] present for at least 6 months, and [must be] inappropriate for developmental level.”

But why six symptoms? Why not seven? Why not three? Why not 10? And why does it change at 16? Why not 14? Why not 12? And why do they have to be present for six months? Why not nine? And how do you determine what’s appropriate for their developmental level? And, again, how in the world can you remotely rule out the possibility that these “symptoms” don’t stem from either the child’s natural personality, or a collection of the following:

TV
Netflix
Video games
iPods
iPads
Smart phones
Texting
Skyping
Lap tops
Fast food
Caffeine
Advertising
Lack of physical exercise
Boring curriculums
Boring jobs
Lack of discipline
Broken homes
Lack of sleep
Poor diet
Disinterest in academics
A government school system that only suits a particular personality type and leaves everyone else at a disadvantage
Over emphasis on memorization and regurgitation
Differing skill sets

Et cetera.

As a matter of fact, a study was just released linking energy drinks to ADHD in children. Shocking. Maybe next we’ll be able to link Cinnabon to obesity and alcoholism to car accidents. Who knows where this rabbit hole will go?

And ineffective parenting can’t be ruled out, can it? It’s not that all ADHD kids have bad parents (my parents were and are great), but as L. Alan Sroufe, a professor emeritus of psychology at the University of Minnesota’s Institute of Child Development, has explained, there are certainly a great number of children on Ritalin who really just need some semblance of discipline and stability at home.

How does all of that get factored in?

It doesn’t.

These kids don’t have ADHD. Nobody does. Maybe some of the kids tagged with the ADHD label actually suffer from some other psychological ailment, but I suspect that the vast majority of them have no ailment whatsoever. They are just kids. They have personalities. They have identities. Maybe that identity doesn’t fit in at school, maybe it causes stress at home, but who are we to declare it diseased? Who are we to hang a disorder around the neck of a child? Maybe we are the disordered ones. Maybe our society is disordered. Maybe our schools are disordered. Maybe our homes are disordered.

I told you about my “ADHD.” Well, a funny thing happened. The precise disposition that made it very difficult for me to excel in chemistry class or while working as a cashier is now the precise disposition that makes it possible for me to excel in my current career. Writing, debating, creating new ideas, trying to earn a living in the ever changing world of new media — I couldn’t do any of that if I wasn’t like this. What made me a failure in school makes me extremely successful in this realm. How do you explain that?

Maybe we’re so obsessed with the notion that everyone must follow one path, act one way, think one way, and do one thing, that we’ve forgotten what it means to be human. We’ve forgotten that not all humans are born to be straight A students turned 9 to 5 desk jockeys. Some are different. Maybe some aren’t suited for that life at all. Maybe some people are meant to be the artists, the radicals, the philosophers, the thinkers, the geniuses, the inventors, the revolutionaries, or the car salesmen.

I don’t consider myself to be any of those things, but I am a normal guy who found his place in the world without the assistance of drugs.

I think all kids deserve that chance.

ADHD doesn’t exist. Human beings do. And I think we need to work harder at trying to understand them.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Has anyone ever read an entire Matt Walsh article? I always figured that if I want to watch someone wank on the Internet there are better places for it already.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Some people do benefit from being diagnosed with ADHD and medicated, but for the most part he's right. I guess he's got to be right about something.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I disagree - there's more to ADHD than the outwardly manifesting symptoms. I was diagnosed with ADHD as an adult and have suffered from what I'll briefly describe as "identity dissociation" issues, a component of the disorder. Medication has brought me much peace in that regard. However I don't want to derail this thread into ADHD chat.

Another dumb thing that must be some warped right wing talking point, my boss just said some left wing type said that the Mideast conflict can be solved by reducing unemployment. He went on to say "what do terrorists care about our unemployment rate?!" It seems like such a willful misinterpretation of what sounds like someone addressing joblessness and lack of opportunity in the countries from which organizations like DAESH recruit.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/adhd-definitely-doesnt-exist-but-if-it-did-i-would-have-it/

gently caress this guy.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

quote:

Maybe we’re so obsessed with the notion that everyone must follow one path, act one way, think one way, and do one thing, that we’ve forgotten what it means to be human. We’ve forgotten that not all humans are born to be straight A students turned 9 to 5 desk jockeys. Some are different. Maybe some aren’t suited for that life at all. Maybe some people are meant to be the artists, the radicals, the philosophers, the thinkers, the geniuses, the inventors, the revolutionaries, or the car salesmen.

Did Matt Walsh just start writing stoned here, or something? "Like, what if the schools are so obsessed with conformity in their sheeple indoctrination centers that they just can't handle a genius like me, maaaaan a kid with ADHD? Did I just blow your loving mind or what?"

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

my favorite part about this is the random inclusion of "Skyping" among social ills that cause "adhd". Is there some kind of rationale behind that other than "SOME GIZMO"?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Doctors are obviously not right about everything, but until Matt Walsh publishes something in a peer reviewed journal on the subject I feel pretty safe disregarding anything he has to say on the topic.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Yeah I'd trust a doctor over Blogger Matt Walsh on this.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

What is with conservatives and random clips from popular movies?

SatansOnion posted:

Did Matt Walsh just start writing stoned here, or something? "Like, what if the schools are so obsessed with conformity in their sheeple indoctrination centers that they just can't handle a genius like me, maaaaan a kid with ADHD? Did I just blow your loving mind or what?"

ADHD diagnoses are based on a baseline of "normal" that is founded in the status quo and it's entirely possible that's not the way all humans do or are meant to function. It's a valid argument.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 19, 2015

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

On February 9, 2015, the public health reporters at the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel wrote a fairly straightforward article about the surge in Pertussis cases this year, and attributed it to: a weaker vaccine, genetic changes in the pertussis bacterium, and the rise of anti-vax websites and waivers. A full 5% of Wisconsin Kindegarten students had religious objection waivers during the 2013-14 school year.

Our friends at Drudge tweeted out the article, and this happened:

Well, the Journal-Sentinel doesn't take poo poo from loving anybody, and definitely not La Raza, but definitely not Race Realists like these fine folks. So Johnson & Fauber wrote a follow-up article that looked at the claim that illegal immigrants caused the resurgence of pertussis and measles. Unsurprisingly, the unresearched conjecture of idiot racists is not supported by statistics or evidence:

edit: The Original

The Followup

The comments are glorious. When data disproves your bullshit, racist theories, it must be that the data are wrong. The data, which are reported by the vaccine manufacturers, independently verified by NGOs like the WHO, are incorrect somehow, but our racist theories based on nothing, and which we cannot produce and evidence for, must be correct.

This is awesome, but the go-to when confronted with evidence like this is :supaburn: LIBRUL BIAS :supaburn:. It isn't just for media and history scholarship any more!

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Someone from those JSO comments should publish a peer reviewed article about how all the illegal immigrants come from the 2% of Nicaraguans who are unvaccinated.

Grand Theft Autobot fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 19, 2015

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Not to be that person but using words like "crazy" can be insensitive and offensive to people who have mental illness or those who were forced into institutions . Crowder thinks that and tranny are just silly words to be on that list

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

What is with conservatives and random clips from popular movies?

They think it makes them look more in touch and cooler

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Steven Crowder is a fat virgin who waited til he was married to have sex and then wrote an article about it. Thing is, the article wasn't about him making a personal choice, it was about how his choice to be a stupid virgin made his marriage inherently better than those of us sex havers. Dude is the biggest loving tool on the planet.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

ADHD diagnoses are based on a baseline of "normal" that is founded in the status quo and it's entirely possible that's not the way all humans do or are meant to function. It's a valid argument.

A good psychiatrist is not going to make a diagnosis based on "normal." ADHD is an executive function disorder characterized by the brain producing below normal levels of the neurotransmitters dopamine and norepinephrine. Before my diagnosis I had a career, always did well in school, but I knew that my thinking was disordered. I thought I might have bipolar disorder or a personality disorder, but ADHD was the culprit. I do keep the diagnosis a secret though because ignorant people like to say "lol maybe you aren't built for the modern world!" It's just much easier to spot ADHD in a child who exhibits the outward signs of a dopamine/norepinephrine shortage (inattention, hyperactivity.) I was quite a well behaved child who excelled in school.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Someone from those JSO comments should publish a peer reviewed article about how all the illegal immigrants come from the 2% of Nicaraguans who are unvaccinated.

Obviously the vaccination rates are so high because all the unvaccinated people are shipped off to the US.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Xibanya posted:

A good psychiatrist is not going to make a diagnosis based on "normal." ADHD is an executive function disorder characterized by the brain producing below normal levels of the neurotransmitters dopamine and norepinephrine. Before my diagnosis I had a career, always did well in school, but I knew that my thinking was disordered. I thought I might have bipolar disorder or a personality disorder, but ADHD was the culprit. I do keep the diagnosis a secret though because ignorant people like to say "lol maybe you aren't built for the modern world!" It's just much easier to spot ADHD in a child who exhibits the outward signs of a dopamine/norepinephrine shortage (inattention, hyperactivity.) I was quite a well behaved child who excelled in school.

That is a theory and far from definitively proven science and the most recent research I can find supports a different conclusion.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/imaging-study-shows-dopamine-dysfunction-is-not-the-main-cause-of-attention-deficit-hyperactivity

I've also been diagnosed and treated for adult ADHD off and on for the last decade or so and ultimately quit taking medication and quit working 9-5 office jobs and I function relatively well. The only times I ever had issues were when I was in college and interning and expecting to sit for 8 hours and pay close attention to pointless minutiae and I'm far more concerned about the brain function of people who are able to do that without going crazy.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

That is a theory and far from definitively proven science and the most recent research I can find supports a different conclusion.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/imaging-study-shows-dopamine-dysfunction-is-not-the-main-cause-of-attention-deficit-hyperactivity

I've also been diagnosed and treated for adult ADHD off and on for the last decade or so and ultimately quit taking medication and quit working 9-5 office jobs and I function relatively well. The only times I ever had issues were when I was in college and interning and expecting to sit for 8 hours and pay close attention to pointless minutiae and I'm far more concerned about the brain function of people who are able to do that without going crazy.

I am frequently looking for more research on ADHD as knowing as much as I can about it is important to me. I'm not willing to accept that study yet as I was not able to access the linked article and the summary did not mention a sample size. I will be more accepting of it if others can repeat the results (which has been done in many other studies related to dopamine/norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors for the treatment of symptoms) That study also makes no mention of norepinephrine. I have previously used a solely norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor to treat my symptoms - sadly I discontinued that treatment because it is very expensive at the moment.

Again, ADHD is much more than being unable to sit still. It is a real disorder and can cause suffering independent of society (unlike when being gay was classified as a disorder). When people dismiss it as a made up problem by pharmaceutical companies it stops people from seeking treatment and possibly alleviating their own suffering.

Just to make a case in point, before my current psychiatrist, though my symptoms were not a perfect match for anxiety, I was prescribed serotonin reuptake inhibitors. They did not help. After, I was prescribed Strattera, a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. It did help.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Breitbart publishes this article about MMA Fighter

RONDA ROUSEY TO BREITBART: YOU ARE WHAT WE NEED TO CHANGE ABOUT THIS CULTURE

quote:

“You are what we need to change about this culture,” the 135-pound belt holder told Breitbart Sports on the conference call for UFC 184.

The angry, animated answer came in response to a question about whether the UFC headlining a card with two women’s bouts would ultimately harm or help the cause of women’s MMA given that the ladies would not have the opportunity to convert the segment of men prejudiced against it who see elite female fights only on cards carried by Cain Velasquez, Jon Jones, or some other male athlete.

“You even asking the question, it really proves that the inequality still exists,” Rousey declared. “If they put up a men’s 125-pound main and co-main event, people wouldn’t be asking the question, like, ‘Oh, if this doesn’t sell very well we might just get rid of the whole men’s division.’ Why are we still even asking the question? Do you remember the last time you asked that question to a guy?”

Pretty reasonable response by her. Further down the page in the article they post her naked Sports Illustrated Body Issue cover.

And then come the comments to prove her point.

quote:

Wanna sell Tics? Fight Nakid.
-----
listen honey, that sandwich in the kitchen.... isn't gonna make itself. Oh and don't forget the mayo.

You remember what happened last time you forgot the mayo.....you can't get preggers that way

----------

Roses are Red, Violets are Blue
Don't you have some Ironing to do!!!

------

She could kick my a$$ around the bedroom any time.

-------
oh yes, and that's why when I go thru a door before a female these days, I just let it shut. Get it yourself, bra burner!
-------

Get dinner on the table woman. You can worry about how popular you are later.

------------

I can think of some things I'd like to do with her... Fighting ain't one of 'em. ;)

-------
Get back in that kitchen! And my golf clubs need cleaning, Miss Know-it-all Bigmouth.

--------

she needs to go make me a sandwich. nobody wants to watch wh.ore.s fight unless it is in some mud

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mineaiki posted:

Now look, I don't agree with the right, but you're kind of glossing over the issue of how they see contemporary history being taught. I know they're wrong but pretend that their perspective is worth analyzing for a minute at least. They don't view their actions as whitewashing American history (because the events they're getting rid of are unimportant to them anyway), but are rather reacting to what they see as an attempt by "liberals" to use education to vilify America in history. Just like how they see taking all of the overbearing Christianity out of schools as trying to erase the part Christians had in American history.

I know it's hard to conceive of because you've got a much more open mind than these people, but try to open your mind a little more and realize that they view allowing criticism of U.S. actions to any significant degree as slandering the country. I'm not saying they're right, but it never hurts to be able to see your political opponent's perspective.

This reads like "just treat them like a five year old kid having a temper tantrum". Except in this case their tantrums are leading to actually legislation so I'm not sure it's a fair analogy there.

I think people in this thread and the poster you responded to see it just fine (the way they view things) and a lot of it has to do with FOX and AM radio. My four year old sees me letting the air out of a balloon and flying it around the room as a feat of magic or an act of God. I can explain to him the science behind air escaping a balloon and how that makes it fly or i can just say 'God makes it fly". But he's four, you see, not a member of congress and not writing laws.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mineaiki posted:

That's good to know in case anyone posts something like that.

It's been brought up. There have been several Bill Maher and Micheal Moore de-rails. There was the Brian Williams discussion and few back and forths about Racheal Maddow.. I think when someone outside of FOX and AM radio fucks up or lies with impunity, it's worth bringing up here. The point of the thread, as I intended it at least, was to point our how the right wing media does this sort of poo poo every single day.

Maybe the next thread should just be a "U.S. Media" thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

It's been brought up. There have been several Bill Maher and Micheal Moore de-rails. There was the Brian Williams discussion and few back and forths about Racheal Maddow.. I think when someone outside of FOX and AM radio fucks up or lies with impunity, it's worth bringing up here. The point of the thread, as I intended it at least, was to point our how the right wing media does this sort of poo poo every single day.

Maybe the next thread should just be a "U.S. Media" thread?

I was thinking of starting a Very Serious People thread for people like Wolf Blitzer and Tom Friedman and David Brooks and Ross Douthat and Fareed Zakaria. It's an interesting contrast; the guys I just mentioned are "reasonable" defenders of the status quo while the right wing media sphere is the screaming id of a subset of Americans.

But, I'm bad at writing OPs and the thread doesn't sound like it would be terribly interesting.