Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

DrBouvenstein posted:

In the vein of "Unnecessarily long tutorials sections," Twilight Princess holds a special place.

It might not technically be considered a tutorial, but the first couple hours certainly feel like one.

For some reason they're REALLY adamant about not letting you do Zelda stuff until an hour or two into a new Zelda game. Maybe they wanna open up with a chunk of busywork to let kids who are new at it learn how to move around fluently in 3D but man for everyone else I truly can't see the appeal of delivering groceries for 90 minutes before they give you the sword

Nuebot posted:

I think I have a new least favorite thing in pretty much any game ever. Random critical hits. Crits can be cool if you get them for hitting a weak point, or if you have a skill that gives them to you. But when I lose a fight because the RNG just decided to give the enemies a string of random blows that destroyed me, or if I win a fight literally just because I got lucky. It takes the fun out of the game. I don't like it when my game is decided for me purely by luck.

This I kind of get though, at least in turn-based rpgs. There's not much play or dynamism in those games, there needs to be a certain randomness to move the excitement level closer to gambling than to math homework

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MGS4's entire intro cinematic including the tutorial to the new controls is an optional video you have to click into at the start menu, it doesn't just play at the start. Not dragging it down, just silly.

Also another oddity based on difficulties. From easiest to hardest it goes

Liquid
Naked
Solid
Big Boss
The Boss

Which makes sense but both Naked and Solid are both called normal, but one is listed as (NORMAL for NA and Europe players)

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 01:56 on Feb 18, 2015

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

The Moon Monster posted:

Even ignoring the tutorials that game was a huge loving slog. Fights took forever and were hard to avoid. The dreamworld segments added a ridiculous amount of padding. Enemies respawned so easily you pretty much never wanted to back track for anything. I think it dethrones Sticker Star as worst Mario rpg.

I dunno, at least Dream Team was an RPG. Not a shoddy point-and-click adventure with resource draining fights, and no actual mechanics beyond "use your things on all these other things."

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The Bee posted:

no actual mechanics beyond "use your things on all these other things."

To be fair, a lot of games can be distilled down to this if you want to get really abstract.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Destiny PvP is such garbage that I refuse to believe any talented employees at Bungie actually worked at it, the maps are crap, the lack of balance in any aspect is astonishing and right there's a mode where level advantages matter and there's no soft level cap to join, so if you saddled with low levels you might as well just quit the match because there's no hope of winning.

It really rewards the top players to, if you're good you get your super faster which is basically a no effort auto kill or kills depending on your class and 90% of the time the top players are using the most broken weapons in the game, on top of their map knowledge, great players are usually terrors, in Destiny a great player might as well have god mode on.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

"Skilled players win more" seems like a really silly thing to complain about. And the maps are fine, there were some problems before the big patch with a few control zones (particularly Blind Watch) but they've been resolved.

The "best weapons" thing is pretty patently false unless you're playing Iron Banner which is completely optional.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I love that people think that belt-only costumes are some sort of thing unique to Nomura. Let me introduce you to D&D's iconic sorcerer, Hennet:

Look at that loving leg.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Morpheus posted:

I love that people think that belt-only costumes are some sort of thing unique to Nomura. Let me introduce you to D&D's iconic sorcerer, Hennet:

Look at that loving leg.

Sorcerers have always been the hipsters of the magic world.

Ryoshi posted:

"Skilled players win more" seems like a really silly thing to complain about. And the maps are fine, there were some problems before the big patch with a few control zones (particularly Blind Watch) but they've been resolved.

The "best weapons" thing is pretty patently false unless you're playing Iron Banner which is completely optional.

Even with the 'best weapon' and Iron banner, you still only have a marginal advantage 1 on 1. What I don't like about Destiny pvp is the abundance of special weapon ammo and the supers. Of course, Bungie had to work them both into the game, but sniper rifles have always been power weapons. If you just need to restock your ammo when you run out or if you have an Ice Breaker (:iia:) it cheapens the game. Supers on the other hand just suck the fun out when you run into someone with one. There's nothing you can do to avoid it especially if it's a Gunslinger or Bladedancer aside from running the gently caress away.

I've talked to my friends about it and they are equal parts, "Everything is unfair (because I'm not good)" and "But that's how it should work".

Yes, sniper rifles should 1 hit quit you in real life, but this is a video game. What about the loving space magic, dude?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Alteisen posted:

Destiny PvP is such garbage that I refuse to believe any talented employees at Bungie actually worked at it, the maps are crap, the lack of balance in any aspect is astonishing and right there's a mode where level advantages matter and there's no soft level cap to join, so if you saddled with low levels you might as well just quit the match because there's no hope of winning.

It really rewards the top players to, if you're good you get your super faster which is basically a no effort auto kill or kills depending on your class and 90% of the time the top players are using the most broken weapons in the game, on top of their map knowledge, great players are usually terrors, in Destiny a great player might as well have god mode on.

Get gud scrub. Seriously, everything you say is false. There's data from previous Iron Banners that low level players do quite well, super charge rate increases with time alive, which matters more than kills, and weapons are constantly tuned to Nerf standouts. There's complaints to be made, but you missed every legit one.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Rick_Hunter posted:

Sorcerers have always been the hipsters of the magic world.

Even with the 'best weapon' and Iron banner, you still only have a marginal advantage 1 on 1. What I don't like about Destiny pvp is the abundance of special weapon ammo and the supers. Of course, Bungie had to work them both into the game, but sniper rifles have always been power weapons. If you just need to restock your ammo when you run out or if you have an Ice Breaker (:iia:) it cheapens the game. Supers on the other hand just suck the fun out when you run into someone with one. There's nothing you can do to avoid it especially if it's a Gunslinger or Bladedancer aside from running the gently caress away.

I've talked to my friends about it and they are equal parts, "Everything is unfair (because I'm not good)" and "But that's how it should work".

Yes, sniper rifles should 1 hit quit you in real life, but this is a video game. What about the loving space magic, dude?

Eh most snipers are only 1 hit kill if you get a headshot (which can be harder than it should be because Destiny has the most atrocious auto aim ever, which is my on topic gripe) and you lose significant special ammo when you die and end up needing to restock at the ammo crates. I really like Destiny even though it has some serious flaws, but from playing it for a while you can really tell some serious thought went into designing pvp to be fun even when everyone can bring their own build.

I think a lot of complaints might come from the fact that it plays more like Halo than Call of Duty in terms of the way that guns work. Supers can be a dumb way to end a good streak but for the most part I think they add a decent risk to just running around the map with a shotgun and a bunch of melee buffs.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Get gud scrub. Seriously, everything you say is false. There's data from previous Iron Banners that low level players do quite well, super charge rate increases with time alive, which matters more than kills, and weapons are constantly tuned to Nerf standouts. There's complaints to be made, but you missed every legit one.

Its broken lovely garbage and the unbalanced weapons and supers turn the skill gap into a skill chasm, nice data without showing me anything probably cause its a load of horseshit, lowbies get destroyed in IB, no exceptions. A thorn is a 2 shot on a 31 player and the highest impact hand handacannons will kill most players in one shot.

Constantly tuned, hahahaha, there's been a single update that nerfed AR's, there's a new one coming now that will nerf AR's again, buff pulse rifles and lower ammo secondaries in crucible because Bungie NOW realizes that having people with spawn with power weapon like a shotgun or a sniper rifle with plenty of ammo in is a horrible idea(something that the Call of Duty creators realized 6 years ago), Bungie is so hilariously out of touch that the fix is just nerfing the common weapon types and "fixing" them in the wrong ways like lowering range on shotguns.

Ever play Marvel Vs Capcom 2? It had a big cast of character but only like 5 of them where any good, but they where so good they broke the game, Destiny's PvP is pretty much that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Haha wow. Even ignoring your demonstrably false claim that guns have only been balanced once you sound like you're mad that you're not good at the game.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm not mlg level but I really enjoy Destiny pvp. :shrug: Yeah, the super is an I-win button. But everyone gets it. I don't really have a problem with the weapon balance* (possibly because I'm a shotgun lover :v:) But realy, when everything is CoD and BF wants to be CoD (to its detriment) I'll for sure play some fuckin Halo-like with TTK's a hair longer than "split faction of a second".

*Except that one sniper rifle that has a 3rd mag and can OHK with the final shot even from a body shot when they're at full hp. People just run around wasting the first two shots into walls and then they have a single shot Q3 railgun.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Hey guys, I've never played Destiny but maybe we could stop Dark Souling every time bitches about a game in the bitch-about-a-game thread.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

PJOmega posted:

Hey guys, I've never played Destiny but maybe we could stop Dark Souling every time bitches about a game in the bitch-about-a-game thread.

get good at the thread, noob

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

get good at the thread, noob

PYF thing dragging this thread down

In actual content, Mini-metro not having a Stockholm map is a travesty.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Dark Souls 2 time!

The new Agape ring sucks balls and is the gaming equivalent of treating a gaping wound with a flamethrower.

The entire point of Soul Memory was to stop twinking (a stupid idea in the first place) but then they go and solve it by forcing you to use one of your ring slots to stop yourself from ever gaining another soul, ever. Yes, you can now stop PVPing in one spot and stay there! If you enjoy having two of your four ring slots used with the agape ring and the bellbros ring. Oh, and by the way, I hope you enjoy fighting the new One True Build of poise and defense stacked on top of a 2 handed fast weapon because everyone who's good enough at the game to run their way through it at low level to get some end game gear is forced to choose one or two weapons to max out. No one's having fun with gimmicks and doing ridiculous poo poo anymore because once they've spent their souls that's basically it for that character. They aren't going to switch it up because the only way to do that is to level out of their chosen bracket or to start a whole new loving character.

Nope. Just a shitload of shitlords 2 handing warped swords with a buckler that they'll never use hanging out on their backs and 2 pieces of havel on because nobody's even got time to go farm up a chaos blade at 300k SM.

I guess I understand why they did what they did, it was an attempt to address a complaint that was raised because they tried to cater to casual players and bitching about twinks. They just, you know, completely invalidated the original goal while still leaving us stuck with soul memory and reduced all low level PVP characters down to one or two weapon choices which they can never stray from.

As someone who loves having an inventory chock full of variety to smash and slash and stab things with this is just complete poo poo now.

And because it pisses me off to no end, gently caress From for forcing me to use a ring slot for this bullshit. How loving hard would it have been to create an item that you can't use up that when used prevents souls from being gained until you die or quit. What the hell sense does it make to force someone to handicap themselves in order to have a PVP character? The literal only upside to any of this is the number of people hosting bellbros has risen because you can get chunks for killing greys now and people don't like losing the ring slot so they hang out human in the towers to get to use 3 rings instead of 2.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

STALKER: Call of Pripyat is so goddamn buggy.

I can hear your astonished gasps - a buggy Stalker game? What a surprise.

But it's the third game in the trilogy, and supposedly the most bug-free one. I'm also playing it with a user mod that supposedly deals with some of the bugs.

I can't finish the game because some scripts refuse to play. The last few rounds of cutscenes were completely silent, NPCs just eyeing each other lustily, because some scripts refused to play. A few major quest chains broke down in the middle because......

Quest markers for quest that failed or were completed remain on the map. You get to assemble a full seven (4) samurai party to take on a dangerous mission (yay), but you can't heal them or give them guns (boo).

Shame, because when the game works - when a whole bunch of poo poo interacts in the environment, and you get multi faction pileups, or guys going around with a dozen guns because they looted them all from various previous corpses - it's a lot of fun.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Xander77 posted:

it's a lot of fun.

I don't get the relevance of the 'hidden' link. Would I have to have played the game?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
No, it's a gimmick of his.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The console versions of Terraria were updated today and we've gotten the Frost Moon event, and holy poo poo is it hard, the Pumpkin Moon event was bad enough but this is a nightmare, I really get that Terraria is best played with other people and these events smash you over the head with it.

For people going it alone, you basically need to build a special custom arena, fill it with traps and you yourself had better be in endgame armour and using the best weapons or else, you will know pain.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard
I normally hate PvP, but in Destiny it actually seems tolerable. I suck at it, but even as bad as I am I can usually hold my own and actually assist the team. The big thing people seem to take issue to is it's really designed to be run as a group. If you rush the control points solo hoping to make a difference you are just going to gently caress your team over. I always just pick one team mate who seems competent and stick to his rear end, shoot the guys he shoots, take or hold control points he holds, and it seems to work well. Some of the maps, like Blind Watch are hilariously unbalanced though, if you are team Alpha on Blind Watch you may as well quit on load, since Bravo can sit in the hallway and hold two control points (B and C) from almost perfect cover and as long as all 6 stick to the script there is absolutely nothing you can do. You can never get close enough to even super them. Even all 6 rushing at once you'll get pasted in the door, since they can see you all coming and know which of the 3 doors you are coming through. I have been on both sides of this equation more times then i can count. The win as team bravo on this map is surprisingly hollow, yay I won because I stood in one spot and shot guys coming through a door, weeeeeee. My highest and lowest K/D ratios ever has been on that map, 6.0 and .06 (I got 12 deaths and 0 kills, to me that's 0.0, but in Destiny land I got .06???), you can guess which time I was team Bravo and which I was team Alpha.

I just wish Bungie spent the same effort on the co-op stuff, as they do on PvP. The raid (Crota) is still buggy as hell. It randomly boots half the team every 5 minutes or so, if you have a close 6 man party where you are all friends good for you, if you randomly matched on Destiny LFG or something, enjoy spending the next half hour trying to get a new group put together. I have a solid crew of 4, we cannot play strikes without splitting up, and we cannot do raids without introducing a random element. So we usually go with option 3 of standing around the Tower and having impromptu dance parties until one of us has to sign off. There is a higher then 0% chance when you invite a random element into your party that he just spouts memes like he's at the loving Rocky Horror Picture Show. That is unacceptable. "I can haz Shotgun?" you you can haz get booted from fireteam. Now I get to spend half an hour looking for someone who is not you to fill your slot, and the chance of someone else on the team getting frustrated that we have to fill your slot and dropping is also pretty high.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

TheSpiritFox posted:

Dark Souls 2 time!

The new Agape ring sucks balls and is the gaming equivalent of treating a gaping wound with a flamethrower.

The entire point of Soul Memory was to stop twinking (a stupid idea in the first place) but then they go and solve it by forcing you to use one of your ring slots to stop yourself from ever gaining another soul, ever. Yes, you can now stop PVPing in one spot and stay there! If you enjoy having two of your four ring slots used with the agape ring and the bellbros ring. Oh, and by the way, I hope you enjoy fighting the new One True Build of poise and defense stacked on top of a 2 handed fast weapon because everyone who's good enough at the game to run their way through it at low level to get some end game gear is forced to choose one or two weapons to max out. No one's having fun with gimmicks and doing ridiculous poo poo anymore because once they've spent their souls that's basically it for that character. They aren't going to switch it up because the only way to do that is to level out of their chosen bracket or to start a whole new loving character.

Nope. Just a shitload of shitlords 2 handing warped swords with a buckler that they'll never use hanging out on their backs and 2 pieces of havel on because nobody's even got time to go farm up a chaos blade at 300k SM.

I guess I understand why they did what they did, it was an attempt to address a complaint that was raised because they tried to cater to casual players and bitching about twinks. They just, you know, completely invalidated the original goal while still leaving us stuck with soul memory and reduced all low level PVP characters down to one or two weapon choices which they can never stray from.

As someone who loves having an inventory chock full of variety to smash and slash and stab things with this is just complete poo poo now.

And because it pisses me off to no end, gently caress From for forcing me to use a ring slot for this bullshit. How loving hard would it have been to create an item that you can't use up that when used prevents souls from being gained until you die or quit. What the hell sense does it make to force someone to handicap themselves in order to have a PVP character? The literal only upside to any of this is the number of people hosting bellbros has risen because you can get chunks for killing greys now and people don't like losing the ring slot so they hang out human in the towers to get to use 3 rings instead of 2.

As I understand it that ring was made to make it easier for people to stay within soul memory range of each other to play co-op more than anything to do with pvp.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Lap-Lem posted:

I normally hate PvP, but in Destiny it actually seems tolerable. I suck at it, but even as bad as I am I can usually hold my own and actually assist the team. The big thing people seem to take issue to is it's really designed to be run as a group. If you rush the control points solo hoping to make a difference you are just going to gently caress your team over. I always just pick one team mate who seems competent and stick to his rear end, shoot the guys he shoots, take or hold control points he holds, and it seems to work well. Some of the maps, like Blind Watch are hilariously unbalanced though, if you are team Alpha on Blind Watch you may as well quit on load, since Bravo can sit in the hallway and hold two control points (B and C) from almost perfect cover and as long as all 6 stick to the script there is absolutely nothing you can do. You can never get close enough to even super them. Even all 6 rushing at once you'll get pasted in the door, since they can see you all coming and know which of the 3 doors you are coming through. I have been on both sides of this equation more times then i can count. The win as team bravo on this map is surprisingly hollow, yay I won because I stood in one spot and shot guys coming through a door, weeeeeee. My highest and lowest K/D ratios ever has been on that map, 6.0 and .06 (I got 12 deaths and 0 kills, to me that's 0.0, but in Destiny land I got .06???), you can guess which time I was team Bravo and which I was team Alpha.

I just wish Bungie spent the same effort on the co-op stuff, as they do on PvP. The raid (Crota) is still buggy as hell. It randomly boots half the team every 5 minutes or so, if you have a close 6 man party where you are all friends good for you, if you randomly matched on Destiny LFG or something, enjoy spending the next half hour trying to get a new group put together. I have a solid crew of 4, we cannot play strikes without splitting up, and we cannot do raids without introducing a random element. So we usually go with option 3 of standing around the Tower and having impromptu dance parties until one of us has to sign off. There is a higher then 0% chance when you invite a random element into your party that he just spouts memes like he's at the loving Rocky Horror Picture Show. That is unacceptable. "I can haz Shotgun?" you you can haz get booted from fireteam. Now I get to spend half an hour looking for someone who is not you to fill your slot, and the chance of someone else on the team getting frustrated that we have to fill your slot and dropping is also pretty high.

There is a way on Blind Watch - you have to go for Point C as a group and flush them out of the lower room. Killing them will force spawn them next to A so if you can kill enough you can set up inside. But you are right in that you need to play as a group or it never works. 9/10, people go for the control point first and get smeared as a butthole that saved his heavy ammo just blasts you for getting in the magic circle. Back to square one.

Also, the game is weird in how it calculates your K/D because sometimes it also counts your assists as kills. This is how I finish some of those 'Kill x hunters/warlocks/titans' bounties. I just don't know what the requirement is. :shrug:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The thing that drags down Destiny is how often I've had to run Summoning Pits on absurd difficulties. The end of the quest chain to get Thorn was the dumbest, least fun thing I've had to do in a video game in a long time. It was like a half an hour of popping through the doorway, killing a few Knights, running back through the other doorway when the Shrieker spawns. Rinse and repeat for a half an hour until that stupid ultra wizard shows up.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ryoshi posted:

The thing that drags down Destiny is how often I've had to run Summoning Pits on absurd difficulties. The end of the quest chain to get Thorn was the dumbest, least fun thing I've had to do in a video game in a long time. It was like a half an hour of popping through the doorway, killing a few Knights, running back through the other doorway when the Shrieker spawns. Rinse and repeat for a half an hour until that stupid ultra wizard shows up.

There's no modifiers in that mission other than strong enemies, you can enter the room and clear them out and just get Phogoth down to 25% health.

The only thing wrong with the Thorn bounty is the void kills in crucible aspect of it, it should not lose progress if you die, hell it shouldn't even require a specific damage type, just make it like the bad juju one.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't understand destiny, tons of people play it and the things I see of the gameplay make it look like something I'd enjoy (if it were on PC) because I like borderlands and such. But I have literally never heard anyone say anything good about it above "it's decent I guess." Are there really that many people that play it and still think it's just sort of mediocre?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

It is actually really good but like every AAA game it has flaws. Because it was made by Bungie a lot of people expected it to be some kind of magical supergame that would render all other games immediately obsolete or something and so they focus on the bad poo poo and ignore that bajillions of people are playing and enjoying it. It's not for everyone but the trite bullshit by video game sites about people wondering why they still play destiny just cements how bad video game sites are.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I don't understand destiny, tons of people play it and the things I see of the gameplay make it look like something I'd enjoy (if it were on PC) because I like borderlands and such. But I have literally never heard anyone say anything good about it above "it's decent I guess." Are there really that many people that play it and still think it's just sort of mediocre?

The actual shootman FPS mechanics of it is really good, and Bungie's got the "30 seconds of fun" loop down pat, so the actual moment-to-moment gameplay is stellar and engaging. Problem is they slathered passable rpg mechanics and terrible mmo mechanics on top, turning it into a grindfest, while also removing a lot of the higher concept things you expect out of shooters or that Bungie made their name on, like custom lobbies, CTF or other objective gamemodes, forge, firefight, and so on.

Basically if you like the shooting (I do) and have a weak will and get hooked on the terrible 'must make numbers go up!' loop (I did) you will enjoy Destiny (I do), even if you complain all the goddamn time (I do). If running the same few missions over and over so you can level your rep so you can buy better armour so you can run the same content in order to level your armour so that you can run the raid over and over in order to get better gear so that you can do the same bounties again and again leveling that gear in order to better run the raid doesn't appeal to you, then you won't.

I will say that I tried playing the BL pre-sequel and couldn't get into it after playing Destiny. The movement and shooting were just so janky in comparison. Destiny's gotta have some of the smoothest FPS gameplay around, IMO.

edit: basically it's a very good FPS held back by very bad MMORPG (although that goes without saying, all MMOs are bad), and it can't really decide which of the two it'd rather be, to the detriment of both I think.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ryoshi posted:

Because it was made by Bungie a lot of people expected it to be some kind of magical supergame that would render all other games immediately obsolete

This was bolstered by the fact that since most of the internet has dogshit reading comprehension skills they thought that it was going to be some billion-dollar uber game when it was just that Activision had budgeted out an entire decade's worth of sequels and spinoffs.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The only bad thing about Destiny for me is the high cost of the DLC expansions when it barely adds anything new, a couple strikes and a raid, for £19.99, that's more than the full season pass for Borderlands 2 which included 4 DLC content packs of varying length.

Terrible value for money but par for the course with Activision when it comes to DLC content prices.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something annoying about Dying Light is the lack of a manual save, even just saving and quit. Especially because the game seems really slow to save during just normal play. If I stop I don't want to have to worry about if the last thing I picked up will be kept.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

muscles like this? posted:

Something annoying about Dying Light is the lack of a manual save, even just saving and quit. Especially because the game seems really slow to save during just normal play. If I stop I don't want to have to worry about if the last thing I picked up will be kept.

That it is the Year of Our Lord 2015 and there are still video games that don't allow you to save whenever you want and in however many files you want is unbelievable. The only time save limiting is acceptable is when its part of the design, like an Ironman mode or Dark Souls or whatever (and in those cases the autosaves should be frequent). We're not playing games on the loving Sega Genesis any more, let me save as much as I want.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Dark Souls saves constantly actually, the only thing the fires do is reset the world.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dying Light saves pretty much any time you do anything including kill a zombie or do a parkour move (aka, things you will be doing every 5 seconds) so I don't think you have to worry about it. The only time it probably won't save all of your recent progress is if you're in an instanced not-the-overworld area and haven't hit the next checkpoint. The reason games like Dying Light don't have an option in the pause menu to save the game is because you don't have any need for one.

edit: Fallout 3/New Vegas is a good example of a game where it is necessary. In Dying Light, you can do everything, you can see everything, there's no way to actually lock yourself out of content. So even if you don't like the situation you've ended up in either with your equipment or your character skills, the game is tuned so that you can still do basically whatever you want with adequate challenge. Fallout 3 and NV give you free reign with the open world, allowing you to lock yourself out of lots and lots of things, sometimes without even telling you; with a limited number of level-ups, you have to allocate your skill points and perks to your choosing/your playstyle. The reason those games have splinter saves and Dying Light doesn't is simple for that reason: In those games, you have a legitimate use for it it, but in Dying Light you don't.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Feb 20, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Can I write hardware in here? Because the Wii/WiiU sensor bar cables are loving ridiculously long. They're like two giant constrictors that just grapple everything. How do they end up under and around every other wire? I dunno. When I plug them in they lay on top of the wires. Not under or between just over. But then I go to rearrange and suddenly they're tangled in everything.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Len posted:

Can I write hardware in here? Because the Wii/WiiU sensor bar cables are loving ridiculously long. They're like two giant constrictors that just grapple everything. How do they end up under and around every other wire? I dunno. When I plug them in they lay on top of the wires. Not under or between just over. But then I go to rearrange and suddenly they're tangled in everything.

I hate how mine keeps falling off.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Starhawk64 posted:

I hate how mine keeps falling off.

I got a command strip picture hanger. Those fuckers don't fall off the TV anymore. Probably why they animate and constrict across all the other wires as some sort of karmic justice.

Jokes on them. I bought a wireless one today.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah I put command strips underneath my Wii bar and it works really well. I also bound up the wire with some tape so it's almost taut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I recently finished up Shadowrun Returns, and while I enjoyed it quite a bit, it had a few things that really dragged it down. Mainly, guns were far more powerful then pretty much everything else in the game per skill point that using anything else was kinda silly. Late game mages finally came into their own with some good AoE abilities, but by then you had characters packing burst fire shotguns that would do 60+ damage a turn, and most characters had around 60 health.

Also, I'd bring Deckers along at every mission, hoping they'd be able to do something, but the only mission where one is useful they provide one, and its the best decker in the game anyway.

Still, game was pretty enjoyable and I hope Dragonfall is even better.