Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
my neighbors poo poo in home depot buckets but that's ok because they hacked a cheap freezer with an arduino
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfqunEuw61k

*shameful snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tavistock
Oct 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpsMkLaEiOY

disrupting ear drums

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I feel like we've talked about this a zillion times, but what is the point of nest. I think my thermostat at my house had a feature where you could program in schedules. I never used it because it was too complicated and also who cares, I just wanna have it around ~70 all the time.

Is it that useful to have a thermostat "learn" your schedule? What about people who have pets and don't wanna worry about their thermostat bugging out and cranking the heat or something, or neglecting to run the AC while they're gone?

A buggy thermostat with an admittedly nicer UI than the Honeywell one I had, worth 3.2 billion dollars.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ADINSX posted:

I feel like we've talked about this a zillion times, but what is the point of nest. I think my thermostat at my house had a feature where you could program in schedules. I never used it because it was too complicated and also who cares, I just wanna have it around ~70 all the time.

Is it that useful to have a thermostat "learn" your schedule? What about people who have pets and don't wanna worry about their thermostat bugging out and cranking the heat or something, or neglecting to run the AC while they're gone?

A buggy thermostat with an admittedly nicer UI than the Honeywell one I had, worth 3.2 billion dollars.

it's two ideas:

1. (in the long run) i won't even have to think about the thermostat, it'll do it for me!

2. if i'm away and it's cold/hot/etc i can remotely change the temperature on my phone

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

computer parts posted:

it's two ideas:

1. (in the long run) i won't even have to think about the thermostat, it'll do it for me!

2. if i'm away and it's cold/hot/etc i can remotely change the temperature on my phone

2 means you're thinking about 1

I set my thermostat around 70 at my house and never thought about it. If I'm spending too much money on electricity, I'd rather invest in better insulation vs a fancy thermostat.

Plus a significant number of American homes are gonna have someone or something at the house during most of the day (stay at home parents with kids, older people, animals, etc).

But its not like silicon valley making products for rich young white people who live alone, like gadgets and go on impromptu vacations is something shocking or even interesting.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

FCKGW posted:

I was browsing the reddit personal finance subreddit because there are some colossal idiots there and the sheer number of people who are seeking advice on leasing a car for "their business" who, when pressed, turn out to be the uber drivers is depressing

that's my wife's favorite website

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Delaware gets you the twofer of cheap as poo poo income tax and a court system which will basically never rule against management in a dispute between equity holders and management.

ftw

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
is shaggar a theme account or is he serious

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ADINSX posted:

I feel like we've talked about this a zillion times, but what is the point of nest.

tony fadell wanted to turn on the heat in his cabin from his iphone before he got there

disrupting the thermostat market

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wulfolme posted:

both

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Wulfolme posted:

yes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"bluhh bluhh bluhhh let me increase my costs for no reason" - some stupid fucker not incorporated in delaware

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ADINSX posted:

2 means you're thinking about 1

I set my thermostat around 70 at my house and never thought about it. If I'm spending too much money on electricity, I'd rather invest in better insulation vs a fancy thermostat.

Plus a significant number of American homes are gonna have someone or something at the house during most of the day (stay at home parents with kids, older people, animals, etc).

But its not like silicon valley making products for rich young white people who live alone, like gadgets and go on impromptu vacations is something shocking or even interesting.

do you live in california or something? there's a lot of places where you can save a lot of money by not just leaving it at 70 and forgetting about it. my mom spends like 15-20% of her income on heating oil and she already has good insulation. she's not gonna just leave it at 70 and forget about it in the winter

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

that's my wife's favorite website

Financing a car via Lyft / Uber (self.personalfinance)
submitted 28 days ago by logdogday

Hello. Sorry for the rambling post.
I'm entering my 4th year as a freelance photographer/videographer. The first two years sucked. I lost about $5,000/year, couldn't pay my taxes, and basically accumulated 10k in credit card debt just to live. Third year I got bigger clients, and did much better. I paid off all my credit card debt, my back taxes, and also bought a new camera and laptop, which I needed. I still haven't paid this year's taxes, which will take some work, but I still feel happy getting out of credit card debt. My nerves were completely fried. I don't think I could've handled a third year going on like that; worried about every $ and feeling helpless.
Anyway, I don't own a car, and actually spend over $4,000/year on rentals. It's absurd. I'd sometimes make $250/day, and spend 20% of the earnings just on transportation. I never had enough to afford a car, so I rented. Living month to month is tough like that.
This year, I feel like I really need to buy a car, because if I had a car I could go after more small jobs, go shoot outdoors when I want, etc.
I can't really predict my income, but my best clients of 2014 paid 3x what my best clients paid in 2013. When clients approach me I'm not afraid to tell them a good figure the way I used to be.
Anyway, I'm thinking of a 2015 Prius, the cheapest model. If I can't make payments, my plan is to be a driver for Uber/Lyft, and so the MPG rating will boost my profits. I live in SF Bay Area, where drivers supposedly make good money if they're smart about it.
I saw a 2011 model that cost 80% as much as a brand new car, which is why I'm not psyched to go used on a car that retains it's value so well.
I know some of you will advise to get an old junky thing just to get around, but I can't use that for Uber, and the truth is that high dollar clients feel better if the guy they hired projects a degree of success.
Anyway, any thoughts before I take the plunge?

If I can't make payments, my plan is to be a driver for Uber/Lyft,

can't make payments ... be a driver for Uber/Lyft

:psyduck:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ADINSX posted:

technology for the sake of technology, luxury for the sake of luxury

it appeals to the nerds who dream of someday having to cj their house, as well as the new money who will blow any amount on tiny luxuries, especially if they can pull them up on a phone and show the girl they're chatting up at the bar how they have that fancy expensive minor comfort in their bedroom

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FCKGW posted:

I live in SF Bay Area, where drivers supposedly make good money if they're smart about it.[/b]

this guy sounds like the target demographic for ads in comic books for xray vision and newspaper delivery routes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i mean yeah nobody really needs a nest or whatever but if you don't even recognize the value of changing the temperature in your home to begin with then you're either living in santa barbara or you're an idiot

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

the only smart house thing that i think would would be useful is like a remote garage door monitor. so like if you get to work and are all oh crap did i leave that open? u just open up your WebSite and check.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Wulfolme posted:

hehe

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

if you really want to understand "why" then just go to nest.com. literally the first claim they make about the product is it will save you money. that's "why". i dont know how well the product delivers on that claim, but i can easily believe there's a couple hundred dollars per year of easy energy savings sitting there in the average american home

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fart simpson posted:

i mean yeah nobody really needs a nest or whatever but if you don't even recognize the value of changing the temperature in your home to begin with then you're either living in santa barbara or you're an idiot

my grandmother in houston was given a nest by the power company for free and promised a flat monthly discount on utilities if she installed it

it sat on her countertop for a month or so until i visited and installed it for her

she ended up getting a handyman to rip it out after a few weeks b/c she hated it so much

Apr 7, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Financing a car via Lyft / Uber (self.personalfinance)
submitted 28 days ago by logdogday

Hello. Sorry for the rambling post.
I'm entering my 4th year as a freelance photographer/videographer. The first two years sucked. I lost about $5,000/year, couldn't pay my taxes, and basically accumulated 10k in credit card debt just to live. Third year I got bigger clients, and did much better. I paid off all my credit card debt, my back taxes, and also bought a new camera and laptop, which I needed. I still haven't paid this year's taxes, which will take some work, but I still feel happy getting out of credit card debt. My nerves were completely fried. I don't think I could've handled a third year going on like that; worried about every $ and feeling helpless.
Anyway, I don't own a car, and actually spend over $4,000/year on rentals. It's absurd. I'd sometimes make $250/day, and spend 20% of the earnings just on transportation. I never had enough to afford a car, so I rented. Living month to month is tough like that.
This year, I feel like I really need to buy a car, because if I had a car I could go after more small jobs, go shoot outdoors when I want, etc.
I can't really predict my income, but my best clients of 2014 paid 3x what my best clients paid in 2013. When clients approach me I'm not afraid to tell them a good figure the way I used to be.
Anyway, I'm thinking of a 2015 Prius, the cheapest model. If I can't make payments, my plan is to be a driver for Uber/Lyft, and so the MPG rating will boost my profits. I live in SF Bay Area, where drivers supposedly make good money if they're smart about it.
I saw a 2011 model that cost 80% as much as a brand new car, which is why I'm not psyched to go used on a car that retains it's value so well.
I know some of you will advise to get an old junky thing just to get around, but I can't use that for Uber, and the truth is that high dollar clients feel better if the guy they hired projects a degree of success.
Anyway, any thoughts before I take the plunge?

If I can't make payments, my plan is to be a driver for Uber/Lyft,

can't make payments ... be a driver for Uber/Lyft

:psyduck:

lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i got my parents who live in south florida a nest for christmas a couple years ago, and they really like it. my dad says their energy costs were down about 10% the first year (which realistically means it would have paid for itself if they got it for themselves). mom's a nurse and dad's a teacher, so their schedules are pretty varied, and it figured them out just fine.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

fart simpson posted:

if you really want to understand "why" then just go to nest.com. literally the first claim they make about the product is it will save you money. that's "why". i dont know how well the product delivers on that claim, but i can easily believe there's a couple hundred dollars per year of easy energy savings sitting there in the average american home

i don't think having the dispute is that having a programmable thermostat saves you money.

i think the issue is spending $250 vs $25 programmable thermostat.

my 5-1-1 thermostat works just fine and doesn't need stupid motion sensors to save me money

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

FCKGW posted:

i don't think having the dispute is that having a programmable thermostat saves you money.

my 5-1-1 thermostat works just fine and doesn't need stupid motion sensors to save me money

no actually the dispute was with a guy that doesn't recognize the value in changing the temperature away from 70 degrees ever

ADINSX posted:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

fart simpson posted:

no actually the dispute was with a guy that doesn't recognize the value in changing the temperature away from 70 degrees ever

so then why would a nest be any better then just getting a programmable thermostat. mine has 4 times throughout the day you can change the temps, and seperate sat/sun schedules. and it costs $25

setting at 70 all day is not programmable. just get a programmable thermostat, it doesn't have to be a nest.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

FCKGW posted:

so then why would a nest be any better then just getting a programmable thermostat. mine has 4 times throughout the day you can change the temps, and seperate sat/sun schedules. and it costs $25

setting at 70 all day is not programmable. just get a programmable thermostat, it doesn't have to be a nest.

i didn't ever say a nest was better. i said the reason "why" you'd consider getting one is to save money, according to nest. i've never even seen one irl, i'm just saying that of course that guy won't understand the nest if he doesn't even understand the concept of ever changing the temperature of his home

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

i spend $600 a month on electricity in the summer i get pretty fired up about thermostats

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

but if you want to go down that line of thought, i think theoretically a "smart" theromastat could be better than a simple programmable one in the sense that it could dynamically adapt to a changing schedule. like if you normally come home from work at 7 you can use a normal programmable thermostat to account for that but if you sometimes work late and get home at 10 instead then a fancy smart home thermostat could sense that you're still at work so don't bother turning on the heat yet.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

slogsdon posted:

yeah i live near a train station and its p nice for work and school since those are both by a train station but if i want to go anywhere not near the train line it quickly goes to poo poo

or if i want to go out at night and get home after 1 AM lol

I live pretty near the red line and it's good for going downtown or the airport but my office is in norcross and thus completely outside of Marta

getting the shuttle my company is organizing would probably triple my commute time and still require driving nearly as far

basically Marta is an ok idea but it needs like way more lines and every time a penny tax comes up they vote it down

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

fart simpson posted:

but if you want to go down that line of thought, i think theoretically a "smart" theromastat could be better than a simple programmable one in the sense that it could dynamically adapt to a changing schedule. like if you normally come home from work at 7 you can use a normal programmable thermostat to account for that but if you sometimes work late and get home at 10 instead then a fancy smart home thermostat could sense that you're still at work so don't bother turning on the heat yet.

i guess the problem with me is that i have a wife and kids home all day so there's no adjusting, it's just on a set schedule because someone is always home.

hence the statement that things like the nest are for single silicon valley types who live alone.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my mom has a nest and it saves her money

instead of programming a schedule you let the little proximity sensor do it dynamically

it's not perfect, but it works

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

FCKGW posted:

i guess the problem with me is that i have a wife and kids home all day so there's no adjusting, it's just on a set schedule because someone is always home.

hence the statement that things like the nest are for single silicon valley types who live alone.

or the parents of yosposters apparently

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
we have Nest thermostats in my office, which is kept at the same temperature almost constantly because it's in the middle of Florida

i think the only reason they're there is to look "cool"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

people will spend a grand on fancy knobs and drawer pulls for their kitchen cabinets, $250 for a thermostat that isn't a beige molded plastic box isn't unreasonable at all, even if it wasn't "smart" they'd probably still sell a lot of them

Apr 7, 2003

qirex posted:

people will spend a grand on fancy knobs and drawer pulls for their kitchen cabinets, $250 for a thermostat that isn't a beige molded plastic box isn't unreasonable at all, even if it wasn't "smart" they'd probably still sell a lot of them

I've got a fancy knob for you to pull

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Citizen Tayne posted:

I've got a fancy knob for you to pull

is it as short as the rest of you

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Forums Terrorist posted:

:drat:

Apr 7, 2003

Forums Terrorist posted:

nice classism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FCKGW posted:

actually there is a pretty large dispute about it. most field studies show negligible savings at best and sometimes even increased energy use (I'm saving so much I can set the temp lower/higher while I'm home!).

• Locked thread