Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eh I thought the flashbacks were a bit overindulgent. I am glad to see the Ollie/Thea teamup dynamic is going to work. Every character has gotten better when they got in on the secret and I'm interested to see if Thea joins the team long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Willa Holland really was pretty great, especially at the end with Malcolm. He seemed so shocked, like "wait, what's going on, she seems really upset over this for some reason"

Oh my god Merlyn you are the worst parent ever.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This might be my favorite episode ever. Everything about it was wonderful. Willa Holland is really stepping her game up.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I agree with the above poster that the flashbacks were bad. Just seemed frivolous and dumb and made what we know about his return home worse. The Felicity bit was extra terrible and probably only there because she requires a scene every episode or something.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Timett posted:

So she didn't shoot him? Pointless commercial break cliffhanger.

Off topic: can anybody tell me anything about iZombie? As a Veronica Mars fan I'm intrigued but I'm also a fan of not wasting my time and the advertisements don't make it look very good.

The comic was good, but it looks like they've changed it a lot, to the extent of removing the ghost girl and were-terrier characters, so who knows about the show.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I'd forgotten how much this show has been missing Manu Bennett's menacing rasp. Arrows back to being badass!

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

So many wigs in this episodes flashback.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

achillesforever6 posted:

Pour one out for your dead sister

*Sarah smiles approvingly*

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Everything about [this episode] was wonderful.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Merlin is the ultimate goon. No no no! You got it all wrong! I had you kill Sarah because Ras is a danger to us!!!

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Thanks to this thread I now know the actress who plays Thea and I share the same last name. Now I will quietly scour over a giant family tree in hopes of finding her so I can get on set. Long lost distant relatives, one of you be on this loving show please.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"I am no longer your daughter."

Well.... yeah, you never were, you just happened to have half his DNA because he squirted some sperm into your mother a couple of decades back.

I am irrationally irritated by how often television makes a point of pretending like biology trumps the person who spent their lifetime loving and caring for you with all their heart, raised you, kept you safe, helped define your personality and inform your value system etc. I've always been bugged by how casually they had Thea embrace Merlyn as her "father" and that's even without the enormous drag factor of him being a mass-murdering monster.

Anyways, I am looking forward to seeing Ollie hanging out with General Beastmaster now.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I generally have a problem with how much TV plays up "bio-Dads" (thanks Veronica Mars!), but I really like how they handled Thea's story last year. Her embracing Malcolm has next to nothing to do with Malcolm being her biological father and EVERYTHING to do with everyone else in Thea's life treating her like a disabled child.

The flashbacks were gratuitous, but I didn't mind because I bought into Oliver's emotional arc. So yeah, we didn't discover anything new. I was disappointed that they built up Papa Queen's message to Oliver... and it turned out to almost be verbatim what he told him before he killed himself. But hell, the writers remembered that Oliver was a vicious killer of small time hoods less than two years ago! Progress!

I really hope the Alpha-Omega bioweapon plays a role in the story to somehow justify the sheer amount of poo poo we've waded through to get there. Bonus points if its the cure that got Oliver back from his stab n' fall, but I'm not holding my breath.

It was PERFECT that Oliver's whole "Malcolm has to train us!" storyline immediately led to the death of two argus agents and them being trapped on the island with a psychopath. This whole notion that Malcolm holds some great secret to defeating Rhas is goofy as hell, but the plan immediately going to poo poo did make me giggle.

I can bitch my head off about the problems the show currently has, but this whole existential "Who is Oliver Queen?" arcing season mystery is kinda working for me. Its weirdly reminiscent of Buffy's sixth season - it is by no means a functional season, but its doing enough interesting things and taking enough big swings that I'm still incredibly invested.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Has this been discussed?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
He's getting a new costume, they've talked about it before.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Oh right, thanks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jerusalem posted:

Well.... yeah, you never were, you just happened to have half his DNA because he squirted some sperm into your mother a couple of decades back.

I am irrationally irritated by how often television makes a point of pretending like biology trumps the person who spent their lifetime loving and caring for you with all their heart, raised you, kept you safe, helped define your personality and inform your value system etc. I've always been bugged by how casually they had Thea embrace Merlyn as her "father" and that's even without the enormous drag factor of him being a mass-murdering monster.

Anyways, I am looking forward to seeing Ollie hanging out with General Beastmaster now.

Flash does it well, treating his relationship with his foster dad like a real father-son thing. And that's even despite his biodad raising him for a while until he got arrested.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Whizbang posted:

He's getting a new costume, they've talked about it before.

Who is? Roy or Oliver?

I thought this episode was pretty good but there was far too much flashback time - it wasn't as interesting as the present day stuff and it robbed us of more Slade. They should have saved some of it for a different episode.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I agree with you in general but in Theas case it makes sense her latching on to Merlyn as both of her parents have died, she feels estranged from her brother because he's always lying to her, and he saved her life during a time when she was all alone and things were literally going to hell around her.

I mean, yeah it's a bit of a stretch for sure but as far as relationships in TV/Comics go it's not THAT far fetched.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I just realized that the first kill Ollie makes both times he comes back home are done via the same badass neck snap, and for the same reason of keeping his secret.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Thea already had a father who died when she was young, and the man who replaced him leave. It makes sense that she latched on quickly there, she has to have daddy issues.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Thea already had a father who died when she was young, and the man who replaced him leave. It makes sense that she latched on quickly there, she has to have daddy issues.
Speaking of which where the hell is Walter anyway?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Guys remember when everyone hated Thea?

Willa Holland was chewing more scenery than Barrowman last episode. :allears:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Oliver randomly snapping some drug deals neck was pretty good.

I also wish this Tommy and Laurel had existed in season one as a better full on couple.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ded posted:

Merlin is the ultimate goon. No no no! You got it all wrong! I had you kill Sarah because Ras is a danger to us!!!

I love that. I buy that he even believes it himself, despite the obvious logical flaws of "Um, Thea wouldn't be in danger if you didn't contact her or make her the one that killed Ra's' little girl's sweetheart".

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I just laughed like a maniac when Laurel told her father that mom already knows Sara's dead. It was like...the LAST loving straw for him. If he had a gun in his hand at that exact same moment he probably would have shot at her.

Also, not enough love in this exchange....

"Did he teach you to cheat?"
"There's no such thing. There's only survival & death."
"He's not wrong."

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Willa Holland was chewing more scenery than Barrowman last episode. :allears:

Like father like daughter?

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
The flashback parts of this episode sucked out loud. Ollie's hiding just around the corner at pivotal moments for all of the main cast? And they just so happen to think out loud so he can hear it? It's not even useful reveals: Felicity's was just ridiculously unnecessary. "I pulled my hood down." "That would never disguise you, even if you smeared grease paint on your face" would've been funny if the episode wasn't so self referential already.

I wish Digger could've at least had a line - guess he and Slade have not gotten to know each other after all.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Ville Valo posted:

The flashback parts of this episode sucked out loud. Ollie's hiding just around the corner at pivotal moments for all of the main cast? And they just so happen to think out loud so he can hear it? It's not even useful reveals: Felicity's was just ridiculously unnecessary. "I pulled my hood down." "That would never disguise you, even if you smeared grease paint on your face" would've been funny if the episode wasn't so self referential already.

I wish Digger could've at least had a line - guess he and Slade have not gotten to know each other after all.
It seems like Boomerang is kept in a completely separate room so he might not even know Slade was in there with him.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

This is a crime of stupid proportions. Once again the Gods see fit to ram cock in loving rear end

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Rurea posted:

It seems like Boomerang is kept in a completely separate room so he might not even know Slade was in there with him.

I assume there are a few different bunkers on the island and a guard building that wasn't seen.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I guest putting two murderous former special forces turned mercs in the same room might be a bad idea for security. Good job not being dumb, show!

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Ville Valo posted:

It felt like the Arrow team let the Gotham writers take charge of this episode.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

TyrantWD posted:

It felt like the Arrow team let the Gotham writers take charge of this episode.

That's the perfect way to describe it. Every other line came with an elbow-nudge "Eh? Eh?!" to the audience. Yuck.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Pouring out one for my homies.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Ville Valo posted:

That's the perfect way to describe it. Every other line came with an elbow-nudge "Eh? Eh?!" to the audience. Yuck.

It's not the first time they have been that blatant. The Awkward Lance Family Dinner had Ollie say Green Arrow is a dumb name

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Bad Moon posted:

It's not the first time they have been that blatant. The Awkward Lance Family Dinner had Ollie say Green Arrow is a dumb name

It was Merlyn who suggested it, and Oliver said it was dumb, back in season 1.

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)
That was a fun episode.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ville Valo posted:

It was the 50th episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
This season's plot is really dragging for me. Merlyn's plan as presented is completely stupid, and only makes sense if he assumes Ollie is a boneheaded idiot that is fun to mentally gently caress with. Almost the entire season has been waiting for Ras to do something, with the major highlight being the one episode where he did. Ollie doesn't even have a plan. He can't stop the league without killing, and if he was willing to kill, delivering Merlyn would be the easy solution. Just record his confession during one of the CW exposition dialogue dumps and kill him.

• Locked thread