Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
For those that backed The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 the latest update states the game is releasing tomorrow to GOG & Steam.

Unrelated but Exogenesis ~Perils of Rebirth~ also updated saying they switched studios for multiple reasons, so likely their schedule is pushed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

funakupo posted:

For those that backed The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 the latest update states the game is releasing tomorrow to GOG & Steam.

And their release trailer is dope.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Am I the only one who found that midget character unnerving? Somewhere in a weird uncanny valley between too realistic and not cartoony enough. Couldn't get past the first couple of hours in BoTU1, either. But visually everything that's come out from BoTU2 is indeed stunning, especially the scenery. Not crazy about the not-quite-Pixar-but-getting-there quality the characters have.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Mr Underhill posted:

But that's not what I came to post here. It's Labyrinth, the Game. Yes, you read that right.

My favorite part:

Risks and challenges

I will be seeking out the permission to make this game from the Henson Company, If I fail to do so. the Game will be exactly the same at heart but with minor changes so that it will be a Inspired by game.

Wow, this is why kickstarter gets such a bad name. 5,000 isn't enough to pay for the legal representation just to do the paperwork even if the Henson company agrees to give permission, let alone make a game afterwards. The guy can't even take the time to proofread what he put up there.

Also, he's got a second kickstarter project.

Edit:

Kangen posted:

OK, have you ever watched anything from your childhood or read a comic, made your own comic had a conversation with a friend while drinking and thought "That should have been a game."?

I bet drinking has a lot to do with these projects.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mr Underhill posted:

Am I the only one who found that midget character unnerving? Somewhere in a weird uncanny valley between too realistic and not cartoony enough. Couldn't get past the first couple of hours in BoTU1, either. But visually everything that's come out from BoTU2 is indeed stunning, especially the scenery. Not crazy about the not-quite-Pixar-but-getting-there quality the characters have.

Gnomes are the worst D&D race, confirm.

Didn't stop me from loving the game, though.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
He's his own and only supporter on that thunderclap thing.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Basic Chunnel posted:

It definitely happened - it might have been a producer or someone like that who said it, but it was apparent that SEGA wasn't paying for QA during the several month delay they imposed. Because iirc it wasn't delayed because they felt it needed work, they delayed it because its original release date was in the middle of some stiff competition. I still think that AP's combat would have been at least marginally better received had it come out before Mass Effect 2. It was an unfavorable comparison.

It doesn't make a ton of sense until you consider that SEGA wasn't and isn't particularly good with its money. Also considering some of the stories about its development it was probably the case that they had given up on the game and didn't consider that money for QA would have been well spent. When I asked Avellone about what he'd do differently he said "get it right the first time", because the AP we got was its third version. The only development that I can recall comparing to that is Duke Nukem Forever, or possibly the canceled Black Isle Fallout 3, which was dropped and picked up again from scratch at least once.

I totally believe you, I just want to know where the tell-all story is, because I'd bet there's some other gems in there.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I also like how Sega cancelled Obsidian's Alien RPG when they were in the middle of working on it (Though it wasn't too far in development) for Colonial Marines instead.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Considering how much garbage ap was it was probably a mercy killing tbh

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

I also like how Sega cancelled Obsidian's Alien RPG when they were in the middle of working on it (Though it wasn't too far in development) for Colonial Marines instead.

You know the sad thing is Colonial Marines probably still sold more copies than that Obsidian game ever would have.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hakkesshu posted:

You know the sad thing is Colonial Marines probably still sold more copies than that Obsidian game ever would have.

Well yes, but Pitchford is practically Molyneux-lite.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Litany Unheard posted:

A video from Tim re Broken Age:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnY0TdkXZwI

Includes a defense of everyone's favorite game developer, Mr. Molyneux.

lol, maybe he should defend Phil Fish next.... or better yet, he could start by trying to defend Tim Schafer :xd:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Does anyone remember the name of the Kickstarter that is basically Legacy of the Wizard with procedural generation? Can't think of it for the life of me.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

dMastri posted:

5000 pounds to secure the rights from Henson and produce a game for which he has outlined nothing. Oh dear.

This dude graduated high school in '99 which by my american maths makes him mid-30s. He is UK though so maybe I'm mistaken and the high school listed on facebook was primary not secondary, I think that's how they do?

Regardless, dude should be old enough to know better. He doesn't even look or sound mentally ill. It'd be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

Early 30s as he started secondary school in '94 so he just dropped out early.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Genocyber posted:

Does anyone remember the name of the Kickstarter that is basically Legacy of the Wizard with procedural generation? Can't think of it for the life of me.

Children of Morta, which just closes in < 1 hour.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Pathologic continues to have best updates.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Toxxupation posted:

The amount of garbage Alpha Protocol was is zero. Zero garbage. It owns.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chairchucker posted:

Saudi was a bad idea, even if they had to introduce Shaheed. It wasn't garbage, but it wasn't very smart, either. What was garbage was that you couldn't have Darcy as a handler through the entire game.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Chairchucker posted:

The combat was part garbage and the crouch move animation was total garbage.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Chairchucker posted:

It's a bug-ridden mess with terrible, terrible combat and a really bad, tonally inconsistent plot that fluctuates between Archer, James Bond, and a serious, cerebral spy thriller seemingly at random with an atrocious ending

If anything it has exactly one positive aspect- its dialog and attendant dialog system -that is so well-conceived and executed it almost single-handedly redeems the rest of the game, which is various flavors of horseshit

Alpha Protocol was and is a bad game and I wish people would stop pretending anything besides the dialog was even competent, let alone good

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I had a blast playing that game and I give no fucks about any of the complaints you mentioned. It's one of my favorites.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
If the dialogue system single-handedly redeems the rest of the game as you said, I belive that makes the game "own bones".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kyrosiris posted:

Well yes, but Pitchford is practically Molyneux-lite.

In what universe is Randy Pitchford anything like Peter Molyneux?

Gearbox doesn't make absurd claims for their games ever, and they've delivered several complete and polished games.

They just recently dropped one bomb, which was really a scheme to steal money from Sega so they could make Borderlands 2 better, which actually worked pretty drat well. (Except for people who bought Aliens)

But failing to live up to the graphics of a trailer isn't loving remotely like Molyneux's insanity.

If you're going to say that, then Sony is Molyneux, EA / Madden is Molyneux, Naughty Dog is Molyneux, 343i is Molyneux, Bungie is Molyneux, etc. etc. etc. etc.
Doesn't work pal.

Pre-rendered trailers are loving commonplace in this industry. That doesn't make you Molyneux.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Toxxupation posted:

Don't make me fight you.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

lordfrikk posted:

If the dialogue system single-handedly redeems the rest of the game as you said, I belive that makes the game "own bones".

The keyword there is "almost". it almost single-handedly redeems it, but the myriad bugs and general terribleness of its gameplay and story and ending drag it back down

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Gearbox doesn't make absurd claims for their games ever, and they've delivered several complete and polished games.

They just recently dropped one bomb, which was really a scheme to steal money from Sega so they could make Borderlands 2 better, which actually worked pretty drat well. (Except for people who bought Aliens)

But failing to live up to the graphics of a trailer isn't loving remotely like Molyneux's insanity.

If you're going to say that, then Sony is Molyneux, EA / Madden is Molyneux, Naughty Dog is Molyneux, 343i is Molyneux, Bungie is Molyneux, etc. etc. etc. etc.
Doesn't work pal.

Pre-rendered trailers are loving commonplace in this industry. That doesn't make you Molyneux.

don't forget tim schafer he's definitely molyneux

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Randy Pitchford is an egotistical shithead but he's nothing like Molyneux

if anyone's an apt comparison to him it's Tim Schafer aka Mr Shitface

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zaphod42 posted:

Gearbox doesn't make absurd claims for their games ever

Ehhhh, there was a lot of pre-release hype and promises made for Borderlands 2 that ended up being patently untrue or directly contradicted by Gearbox actions after the fact (like their claim that "if the choice comes between 'balance and fun', we'll go with fun every time" and then nerfing things like The Bee into oblivion). Plus, I'd at least consider them scamming Sega to be fairly similar to Molyneux scamming KS backers with Godus. Hence why I said "lite". :ssh:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Toxxupation posted:

Alpha Protocol was and is a bad game and I wish people would stop pretending anything besides the dialog was even competent, let alone good

You kiddin'? I loved the stealth game, and I don't mean like "punch everyone in the throat" stealth. You watched soldiers' paths and looked for the best way through, then timed it just right... I liked it more than Metal Gear Solid. Observation and patience was key.

The gunplay, I just thought of it as Secret of Mana except with third person shooters. You gotta let your hit meter charge up to full before you attack, otherwise you'll miss or do poo poo damage.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I know you can't really blame it on PItchford, but Duke Nukem Forever was a steaming pile of crap and I felt like I got ripped off after buying it for $2.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

DolphinCop posted:

don't forget tim schafer he's definitely molyneux

I know, right? Have they even ever been seen together? Fuckin' hacks!

Anyway, good to see Children of Morta do so well, that game looks great. I wouldn't dare try to put a pixel art rpg/roguelike on kickstarter with the amount of competition in that niche, it's loving crazy.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Great Rumbler posted:

I know you can't really blame it on PItchford, but Duke Nukem Forever was a steaming pile of crap and I felt like I got ripped off after buying it for $2.

Ahahaha I logged into Steam one day, saw a pop-up announcing the release of DNF, and bought it after a short bout of "holy poo poo they actually released it."

It taught me that a combination of reading reviews (especially from people who have played it) and waiting for price drops is necessary to play PC games without wanting to kill yourself.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Great Rumbler posted:

I literally enjoyed the firsy 5 minutes of it, and then it got so bad so fast it was nauseating. That was it for me when I got to the RC or whatever the gently caress that was part, I'm glad I never payed for it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Hot Tin Roof: The Cat That Wore A Fedora comes out tomorrow, but I haven't gotten a key/Humble link yet. Anyone else backed this and got their keys yet?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

It wasn't a trailer.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

ymgve posted:

Hot Tin Roof: The Cat That Wore A Fedora comes out tomorrow, but I haven't gotten a key/Humble link yet. Anyone else backed this and got their keys yet?

I haven't gotten mine but Imma literally burn down the internet if anyone else is able to play it before me!!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It wasn't a trailer.

"Carefully constructed and scripted demo that a single staff member plays through in a specific way"

Happy? That's just loving verbose. I guess I should have said "demo" ?? You knew what I meant though.
Did anybody even play it on stage?

Again, Bungie did the same thing with Halo 2. (And that was a proper demo that they played through multiple times in front of different audiences, unlike Aliens which just showed the single clip and then repeated it)

Also it may have been a demo originally but they turned it into a trailer so you're splitting hairs either way.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ymgve posted:

Oh cool! It feels like I've been hearing about that game forever. Is it supposed to be more gameplay focused or more of an exploration thing?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mycot posted:

Oh cool! It feels like I've been hearing about that game forever. Is it supposed to be more gameplay focused or more of an exploration thing?

From what Shalinor has posted in the game development thread, it looks to be very adventure game-y with you solving puzzles using items and things like that, ala Grim Fandango or Monkey Island.

Then again you have a gun and there's lots of special bullets (bubble bullets lol) that do different things so it could have more gameplay to it than I'm imagining.

Either way it looks pretty sweet :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Mr Underhill posted:

Labyrinth, the Game. Yes, you read that right.

:laffo:

loving muppet. These are the times I wish you could post comments on people's Kickstarters without having to back them.