Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Here's a list of the list of teams used for last weekend's US regionals.

http://nuggetbridge.com/news/teams-vgc-2015-winter-regionals-week-1/

Now all you smogoons can commence your whining about how all the teams are the same.

Primeape? The hell? I'm wildly and futilely clicking its picture hoping it can explain what it's even doing there. Is it for Defiant, even though everything with Intimidate can butcher it anyway? Is it there to get walled by ghosts so Crawdaunt has some easy targets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

What are the chances that Poké Crush might end up unlocking something interesting in ORAS, a la Manaphy? Gotta know if it's worth the time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Primeape? The hell? I'm wildly and futilely clicking its picture hoping it can explain what it's even doing there. Is it for Defiant, even though everything with Intimidate can butcher it anyway? Is it there to get walled by ghosts so Crawdaunt has some easy targets?

Presumably, the reason is that that guy likes Primeape.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Manatee Cannon posted:

Presumably, the reason is that that guy likes Primeape.

People using pokemon they like rather than ones that perform in the metagame?

:frogout:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

As Mr. Bing pointed out, it's quite probably a Landorus-T counter.

It's the only Pokemon that has Defiant+Physical Ice attack.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Linx posted:

People using pokemon they like rather than ones that perform in the metagame?

:frogout:

It's a tournament. The point is to win. Using something you like is fine and dandy otherwise, but this is like putting a legless man in your Olympics swimming team because he's a hoot at parties. You'll get some attention for being unique but at the end of the day you're losing.

By which I mean that Primeape is a liability:

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Primeape: 402-474 (148.3 - 174.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Primeape: 120-140 (44.2 - 51.6%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Primeape: 382-450 (140.9 - 166%) -- guaranteed OHKO

236+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Primeape: 289-342 (106.6 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Primeape: 105-123 (38.7 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Primeape: 273-321 (100.7 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

112 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Primeape: 120-142 (44.2 - 52.3%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO

Of the top 5 most-used Pokemon, two of them are faster, and two are bulkier than hell and punch it up, and the only one it really beats is Bisharp, sort of, except that Bisharp can shave half of its HP off with a Sucker Punch and likes to hang out with fast things. I guess if it's scarfed it gets something by being faster than Landy-T or Megamence and getting them with +1 Ice Punches which seems... really specific for running something as frail and not very fast as Primeape. I guess you get something by the surprise of bringing a Primeape in?

Dr Pepper posted:

As Mr. Bing pointed out, it's quite probably a Landorus-T counter.

It's the only Pokemon that has Defiant+Physical Ice attack.

I guess, maybe. I'd pick something that isn't such a liability in most other cases.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Surprising the opponent that's expecting a special Nidoking, that's about it really.

Yeah same here. It's free so no real reason not to, especially since I never played Trozei. I'll just do five battles once a day, I'm not spending any real money on this.

Gotta crush 'em all.

I deleted it once I ran out of stuff because when I get out my 3ds I'd like to play more than a minute or two of something.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

It's a tournament. The point is to win. Using something you like is fine and dandy otherwise, but this is like putting a legless man in your Olympics swimming team because he's a hoot at parties. You'll get some attention for being unique but at the end of the day you're losing.

By which I mean that Primeape is a liability:

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Primeape: 402-474 (148.3 - 174.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Primeape: 120-140 (44.2 - 51.6%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Primeape: 382-450 (140.9 - 166%) -- guaranteed OHKO

236+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Primeape: 289-342 (106.6 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Primeape: 105-123 (38.7 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Primeape: 273-321 (100.7 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

112 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Primeape: 120-142 (44.2 - 52.3%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO

Of the top 5 most-used Pokemon, two of them are faster, and two are bulkier than hell and punch it up, and the only one it really beats is Bisharp, sort of, except that Bisharp can shave half of its HP off with a Sucker Punch and likes to hang out with fast things. I guess if it's scarfed it gets something by being faster than Landy-T or Megamence and getting them with +1 Ice Punches which seems... really specific for running something as frail and not very fast as Primeape. I guess you get something by the surprise of bringing a Primeape in?

I guess, maybe. I'd pick something that isn't such a liability in most other cases.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

. I guess if it's scarfed it gets something by being faster than Landy-T or Megamence and getting them with +1 Ice Punches which seems... really specific for running something as frail and not very fast as Primeape. I guess you get something by the surprise of bringing a Primeape in?

Primape is faster then Landorus-T even without a Scarf, Base 95 speed compared to base 91.

Edit: Though is Landorus-T commonly scarfed? If so then yeah probably a scarf too.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 19, 2015

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Iirc, these tourney's are bring 6 pick 4 per battle. Primeape is purely a tech choice in this case. You pick him once you know your opponent has Land-T or Megamence.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I don't see what this proves until Nintendo adds a beauty contest portion to their video game tournament???

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Weren't people going on about that fairy mouse being picked in some tournament and winning? Just because you don't see the utility doesn't mean it's not there. :shrug:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It was Parichisu. It's a good example of proper usage of a Pokemon. In most cases it's pretty bad, but for the team Park had in the environment of that tournament it helped him win.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Manatee Cannon posted:

Weren't people going on about that fairy mouse being picked in some tournament and winning? Just because you don't see the utility doesn't mean it's not there. :shrug:

Pachirisu? It could protect Gyaradosi and Talonsflame and had a perfect movepool for making its lovely stats not particularly relevant. With Follow Me, Nuzzle, and Super Fang it had a unique combination of attributes.

I guess Primeape has Ice Punch which Bisharp doesn't, because that's literally the only thing that Primeape could have over Bisharp.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Dr Pepper posted:

It was Parichisu. It's a good example of proper usage of a Pokemon. In most cases it's pretty bad, but for the team Park had in the environment of that tournament it helped him win.

He also said after winning that it does everything Amoongus does, but everyone packs a counter to it, so he rolled with Pachirisu.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Lando-T is scarf most of the time in high level play and Yache the rest of the time. Primeape would pretty much have to run a scarf which means it has to lock itself into an unSTABed Ice Punch to actually do damage to Landorus-T. There's really no reason to use Primeape when Bisharp can OHKO Landorus-T and is also way better against pretty much the entire rest of the metagame.

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 156-185 (94.5 - 112.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Maybe it's a really weird set? Primeape does get Helping hand, Reversal, and Encore I guess.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lhet posted:

Maybe it's a really weird set? Primeape does get Helping hand, Reversal, and Encore I guess.

Then we run into it being slower than Megamom, Megamence, or Megagross, Terrakion, and Hydreigon, which brings me back to "liability".

Let's talk about my new hero:

Full trick room w/ Gastrodon. :allears:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Gastrodon is basically required if you don't want Camerupt to get completely hosed by Suicune and Politoed, and since Camerupt is the only real offense that team has it makes sense to protect it.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Hariyama is an offensive threat beyond Fake Out and Wide Guard, so is Gastrodon and there's a good chance that guy's running 204+ Attack Brave Ferrothorn w/ Lum

Thwack! fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 20, 2015

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
edit: removed email/darkrai code shenanigans

To contribute, I've been playing Pokemon Shuffle. It's alright. Perfectly fine and free if you have impulse control/no money. And both apply to me!

Dr. Cool Aids fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 19, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Then we run into it being slower than Megamom, Megamence, or Megagross, Terrakion, and Hydreigon, which brings me back to "liability".

Let's talk about my new hero:

Full trick room w/ Gastrodon. :allears:

That's a really cool team.

Grizzlegrax
Mar 21, 2013

:ghost: Bustin' Makes Me :ghost:
:ghost: Feel Good
:ghost:

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Sudden Javelin posted:

aaaa i don't have PMs. You still got one left? Email's below

suddenjavelin attttt googlemail dottt com

To contribute, I've been playing Pokemon Shuffle. It's alright. Perfectly fine and free if you have impulse control/no money. And both apply to me!

It's yours, my mail app is being dumb and won't send, it should be with you soon.

Edit: Sent.

Linx fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 19, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Buizel I got from this thread is icin' pokemans left and right and also has evolved into a Floatzel. Good job.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Thanks a ton, got the e-mail and the code worked fine. I'm in the unenviable position of having a European 3DS while being in Canada for the next year so I can never take advantage of the GAME store promotions.

Dr. Cool Aids fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 19, 2015

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Sudden Javelin posted:

Thanks a ton, got the e-mail and the code worked fine. I'm in the unenviable position of having a European 3DS while being in Canada for the next year so I can never take advantage of the GAME store promotions.

You're welcome :)

If you could edit out your quote of my post that'd be great.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Lhet posted:

This is probably it. Helping Hand let's bulky Clefable (almost always) OHKO offensive Mega Mence with Moonblast. I'm kinda surprised we don't see more Crobats though. It ties with Aerodactyl for the fastest Taunt+Tailwind User (aside from pranksters I suppose) while being bulkier and having better defensive typing.

I guess too many Rock Slides running around?

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 19, 2015

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Woah MLG pokemon is serious business.
My strategy is pick a bunch of bugs and grass types and just put poo poo to sleep.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

gannyGrabber posted:

Woah MLG pokemon is serious business.
My strategy is pick a bunch of bugs and grass types and just put poo poo to sleep.

Talonflame will murder all your friends and they'll loving die. Also Amoonguss and Safety Goggles Togekiss are p.cool at making your sleeps not work.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
I pick pokemon that look cool.

That's it, there's no other strategy.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

It's not cute. It's all very serious.
People that PLAY the game? Heresy!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
ORAS Elite Four are some serious suckers, drat. I steamrolled with the biggest bunch of turds ever - Mightyena, Beautifly, Grumpig (LVP), Swampert, Hariyama, and OK fine a mega Kyogre.

But they were all about level 50 and none of the battles were even remotely tough. The Mightyena was actually a fun little guy - Caught him on one of the earliest routes with the Dexnav, and he knew Fire Fang.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Man, whose dumb idea was it to make the Legendary bird in XY a roaming motherfucker? I want to start a new play through, but don't want to start again until I catch that loving Zapdos. At least it only runs 10 times, right?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

smertrioslol posted:

I pick pokemon that look cool.

That's it, there's no other strategy.

Every pokemon looks cool though

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

ORAS Elite Four are some serious suckers, drat. I steamrolled with the biggest bunch of turds ever - Mightyena, Beautifly, Grumpig (LVP), Swampert, Hariyama, and OK fine a mega Kyogre.

But they were all about level 50 and none of the battles were even remotely tough. The Mightyena was actually a fun little guy - Caught him on one of the earliest routes with the Dexnav, and he knew Fire Fang.

I have an early mightyena too, and she's gonna go all the way to the top friend, all the way! also she has won several contests.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

cptn_dr posted:

Man, whose dumb idea was it to make the Legendary bird in XY a roaming motherfucker? I want to start a new play through, but don't want to start again until I catch that loving Zapdos. At least it only runs 10 times, right?

Eventually it'll go to the Sea God's Shrine, sit its rear end right down, and not move.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cptn_dr posted:

It's somewhere around 10, yeah. Then it flies off to an island and becomes stationary. The whole thing is loving stupid, probably the worst design decision they made in the entire game. It's somehow worse than a regular roaming legendary because you can't just save a master ball for the dumb bird and be done with it, oh no, you have to find it a bunch of times before it becomes a regular legendary battle. It's such a pointless waste of time.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The Mightyena was actually a fun little guy - Caught him on one of the earliest routes with the Dexnav, and he knew Fire Fang.

This is why ORAS is the best Pokemon game, for all its flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Gabriel Pope posted:

This is why ORAS is the best Pokemon game, for all its flaws.

Eh, it's got some nice features and the latest movelist improvements, but it struggles under its status as a remake of eleven year old games. I still say that what follows will probably blow it out of the water unless Gamefreak just drops everything new it introduced.

• Locked thread