Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Weird to think that the Mavs dodged a bullet by not getting Deron Williams, ended up with a "side" prize in Monta Ellis, and still get Tyson Chandler back with Rondo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
This is how the monster was created

quote:

To turn Harden from a sniper into a driver, Pera put him through daily X-out drills, in which Harden had to convert eight straight layups while Pera punished him with an arm pad. They made a standing bet: If Harden shot more than six free throws in a game, Pera owed him a hamburger; if Harden shot fewer than six, he owed Pera sprints. Harden discovered ways to contort his limbs through and around defenders, collecting whistles and patties.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/strange-bet-high-school-coach-134521373.html

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

chunkles posted:

It certainly seemed like a distinct possibility at the time that he would drop off for good. He was still very good that season, but plagued by foot problems. Ultimately the best thing to happen for the Nets that season and probably the last 4 years was this Gerald Green dunk.

looks like someone forgot the moment when "King James" and "Plums" linked hands in a show of basketball friendship, bridging all possible divides; offense and defense, black and white, poverty and privilege, WHY WON'T YOU DO THE DUNK CONTEST and WHY ARE YOU IN THE DUNK CONTEST, clearly a foul and great no-call, the list goes on... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEtP6DJj8V0

I think he means media/PR mentor. He can show the young upstart how to get a reality show (would Mom's Got Game have taken off if Javale had put numbers on the boards? We may never know.) and become truly beloved well beyond his in-game performance. Meanwhile Embiid will teach Javale how to play basketball and McGee will become Kareem Abdul-Jabbar with better defense.

They'll be so charming together and dominant on the court that Shaq will try to interview them and get owned to hell and back and flip his wig on air and say very ignorant things and get fired. I suppose this means that the 76ers will defeat the Knicks in the 2016 ECF but I will have to accept these consequences.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Is anyone even on the Suns right now who was there before the trade deadline????? Are the Suns tanking? What the gently caress.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Finally a good article http://www.theplayerstribune.com/nba-trade-deadline-patrick-patterson/

quote:

That December, I flew my parents and one of my best friends to Sacramento and we went to the movie theater to watch The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. (Great flick, by the way.) As we pulled up to the theater, my phone started blowing up with texts from friends telling me that I’d been traded. As I walked into the theater to pick up our tickets, my agent called, “Pat, you’ve been traded to Toronto.” To be honest, my first thought was, drat, it’s cold as poo poo in Toronto. Then I started thinking about moving to a foreign country with a different culture and an unfamiliar lifestyle. It was a lot to take in.

But, I mean, it was The Hunger Games and I’d already bought the tickets, so I turned off my phone and watched the movie with my mom and best friend.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Ramadu posted:

Is anyone even on the Suns right now who was there before the trade deadline????? Are the Suns tanking? What the gently caress.

The Morris, Gerald Green and PJ Tucker are still there.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I'm irrationally happy the Rockets kept Corey Brewer

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I seem to remember some people questioning of Deron Williams was gonna be worth it regardless as he had already shown some signs of slowing down with the Nets. I don't think anyone was really beating the drum of Deron vs. CP3 much after he got traded from the Jazz.

edit-also as an aside, the Suns jerseys are really awesome. I think the whites are probably in my top 5 all-time jerseys from all sports.

double edit-also I kinda like the Reggie Jackson pickup for Detroit, but I'm not sure what that does to their already kinda jank spacing. Didn't dude suck at 3s? I know I was getting Rodney Stuckey vibes from him before, but they didn't give up much so I guess it's fine?

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 19, 2015

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

rivetz posted:

I have seen very little of Aaron Afflalo in the past couple years. Confirm/deny:

Above-average defender, can handle perimeter duties but at 6'5" can defend post-up
Solid perimeter shooter, viable if not electric 3-pt threat (will likely benefit from Portland offense)
Solid character guy
Much more of a shooter, not much for creating off the dribble
No glaring weaknesses

What am I missing or what do I have wrong here

I know that he was pretty highly regarded back when he left the Magic but I'm not wild about giving up three young guys and a pick (I'm a Will Barton Believer™) for someone who might be a nice add but possible/probably isn't any kind of long-term investment. Can Afflalo play the point? If not, I don't know that this does much for Portland's defensive issues in the backcourt as you're subbing one above-average defender in Afflalo for our only other above-average defender in Matthews. I guess they can go three-guard at times, but I sure wish they'd been able to get Chandler instead. I was kinda hoping for something that might get CJ McCollum more minutes as he's been a lot better at getting to the hole in recent games and it often seems like that's what the offense sorely needs.

He can be above average on defense. He's a smart player and is capable when he's not asked to score 20 a game.
He's a VERY good post up player. His jumper is flat but it works for him. Has good footwork.
Good character guy. He's a very solid guy out there. He just shuts his mouth and plays. Never gets rattled
He's not a creator at all. He's a spot-up guy (although he has years where he's terrible at it and others where he's very good)
The glaring weakness is athleticism and creating. I don't mind guys like that if they're solid overall and he is. Very good player.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

alansmithee posted:

I seem to remember some people questioning of Deron Williams was gonna be worth it regardless as he had already shown some signs of slowing down with the Nets. I don't think anyone was really beating the drum of Deron vs. CP3 much after he got traded from the Jazz.

edit-also as an aside, the Suns jerseys are really awesome. I think the whites are probably in my top 5 all-time jerseys from all sports.

His first full year with the Nets was really good.

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

Westbrook's shirts got their own ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auk8ElsnZ2A

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
can a piston fan please tell me what to expect out of D.J. Augustin and Kyle Singler? Also gently caress yeah we got Novak

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Not a Pistons fan but Augustin is a shoot-first never-look-to-pass PG and Singler is a stand-still 3 point shooter that can't do anything else. That can all be good or bad depending on how they're used by your team

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Basketball's back tonight at 8

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Waj is saying Chicago is interested in Kendrick Perkins.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

EvanTH posted:

Basketball's back tonight at 8

Boo I want more trades

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

GreenNight posted:

why

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

GreenNight posted:

KC Johnson is saying it's specifically Thibs who's interested.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thibs is crazy. The guy would get no minutes.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Thibs is crazy. The guy would get no minutes.

That's the best way to use him

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BIZORT posted:

Not a Pistons fan but Augustin is a shoot-first never-look-to-pass PG and Singler is a stand-still 3 point shooter that can't do anything else. That can all be good or bad depending on how they're used by your team

Kyle Singler cannot guard anybody. He's seriously one of the worst defenders I have seen and it's not even a lack of effort or him not understanding the scheme. He's just physically incapable.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
WAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHGHGHGHGHGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Enjoy your new PG, Suns fans.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
So who is rumored or going to be bought out in the near future? The names I've seen are Larry Sanders, Kendrick Perkins, and JaVale McGee.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Gary Neal too.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Has anyone heard who is going to play the 5 today for okc?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Bucks get Micheal Carter Williams, Miles Plumlee, and Tyler Ennis.

Suns get Brandon Knight.

One too many people left on the team. People guessing Johnny O gets the boot. :(

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Metapod posted:

Has anyone heard who is going to play the 5 today for okc?

I would assume this guy.

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.
Sounds like Thomas Robinson wants a buyout too. Nuggets just signed Joffrey Lauvergne today so that's 5 PF's total.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So I guess Mudiay is the Sixers draft pick huh?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Halfling Wizard Bear posted:

Sounds like Thomas Robinson wants a buyout too. Nuggets just signed Joffrey Lauvergne today so that's 5 PF's total.

His option wasn't picked up this summer, so why not

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Philthy posted:

Bucks get Micheal Carter Williams, Miles Plumlee, and Tyler Ennis.

Suns get Brandon Knight.

One too many people left on the team. People guessing Johnny O gets the boot. :(

Nah, they traded Kendall too

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Dynamite Dog posted:

Nah, they traded Kendall too

Where are you seeing this?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

What happened to JaVale? Has he not been the same since injury or are people just not in love with his fun loving personality anymore?

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

net work error posted:

What happened to JaVale? Has he not been the same since injury or are people just not in love with his fun loving personality anymore?

He's only played a handful of minutes since he came back from his fracture and might be straight up busted.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you're like me 5 minutes ago, there's a trade deadline thread and EVERYONE IS BLOWING UP

They are more game-breeaking trades today than the past 5 years combined

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Philthy posted:

Where are you seeing this?

I've only seen it from the AZ guys. On my phone now but

https://twitter.com/paulcoro/status/568532673305526272

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/568532524021858305

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
God drat.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Tae posted:

If you're like me 5 minutes ago, there's a trade deadline thread and EVERYONE IS BLOWING UP

They are more game-breeaking trades today than the past 5 years combined

Wh-Oops

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

He's unrestricted after this year, he was never going to play on that contract again, but I hope they can figure out a way to get him back next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Celtics forward Jared Sullinger will be "out a while," according to MassLive.com.

Coach Brad Stevens broke the news to reporters during a press conference on Thursday. Sullinger has a stress reaction in his foot, and was spotted wearing a walking boot during the team shootaround. Sullinger is averaging 14.4 points and 8.1 rebounds per game.

"Not good news," said Stevens, "that's for sure."

• Locked thread