Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Temperature is neat but hunger is boring. I'm all for building giant airlocks on atmosphereless planets and building power generators to wire and heat a building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
edit: ^^^^^^
Basically this: Temperature should be an interesting building puzzle.

Vib Rib posted:

The big problem was implementation, not concept. There were places where you had to place a constant string of fireplaces/heaters or die instantly the second you stepped off of it. If you weren't overlapping a campfire, you'd die.
Also made nights on semi-cold planets a chore, because you couldn't do anything at night, just sit by the fire and wait for day, which is atmospheric, but not really a lot of fun.

IMO It would be cool as hell if they repurposed the liquids system (which seems pretty good) for the heating system, and made heatstroke/frostbite into debuffs (that only apply after a while) instead of straight damage.

Like, make heat sources (on cold planets only) eject an invisible, non-interactible liquid that floats up and can slowly drain through certain blocks (doors and hatches, mostly, I wouldn't want to be the poor sap that had to insert "heat retention" into every block in starbound). At a certain "water pressure" it's just like working in a standard non-cold planet, and you get as much time working outside as usual. Hot planets could be the same, except fans and ac units eject a cold air liquid that acts the same as the warm air but sinks.

In Temperate planets heat sources and cold air sources could just be decoration.

This would also give the opportunity to expand on food a bit more (give a warmth or cooling buff on foods that be relevant. Eat a hearty stew and you get a few minutes where your body temp doesn't fall as fast?)

Or just make $BodyTemperature += n($PlanetTemperature); if(abs($BodyTemperature) >= $TooHot) {$Player.Health -= abs($PlanetTemperature)}

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

Hm, that actually didn't happen. If it did, prove me wrong,

It happened again in this thread!!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

It'd be nice to maybe have clothing that could keep your temperature at a good level for a limited period of time, and upgrading that gave you more time. So, you dress up, go outside and mine for a while, but can't stay out all night, otherwise you'd freeze/burn up.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It'd be nice to maybe have clothing that could keep your temperature at a good level for a limited period of time, and upgrading that gave you more time. So, you dress up, go outside and mine for a while, but can't stay out all night, otherwise you'd freeze/burn up.

But then you have to dress up, which means any monsters you encounter will one-shot you. Probably just by spawning two screens away.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The White Dragon posted:

But then you have to dress up, which means any monsters you encounter will one-shot you. Probably just by spawning two screens away.

They could add extra slots for weather gear, or use the backpack slot? They already have that survival pack that you don't need because the first quest gives you a free O2 nanosuit.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Liquid Penguins posted:

It happened again in this thread!!

please do not troll me, in this, my own thread, for I am sensitive

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

You have to wonder about the kind of person who willingly is OP of a Starbound thread, but h*ck, Babe Magnet does his best

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

They said no rape jokes.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!
you can say literally anything you want in the Starbound thread -- you can even trash the game, its developers, compare Starbound to a dick and want to suck it, gently caress it, etc. -- but FOR PETE'S SAKE don't talk trash about the OP, capisce?

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

senae posted:

edit: ^^^^^^
Basically this: Temperature should be an interesting building puzzle.

IMO It would be cool as hell if they repurposed the liquids system (which seems pretty good) for the heating system, and made heatstroke/frostbite into debuffs (that only apply after a while) instead of straight damage.

Like, make heat sources (on cold planets only) eject an invisible, non-interactible liquid that floats up and can slowly drain through certain blocks (doors and hatches, mostly, I wouldn't want to be the poor sap that had to insert "heat retention" into every block in starbound). At a certain "water pressure" it's just like working in a standard non-cold planet, and you get as much time working outside as usual. Hot planets could be the same, except fans and ac units eject a cold air liquid that acts the same as the warm air but sinks.

In Temperate planets heat sources and cold air sources could just be decoration.

This would also give the opportunity to expand on food a bit more (give a warmth or cooling buff on foods that be relevant. Eat a hearty stew and you get a few minutes where your body temp doesn't fall as fast?)

Or just make $BodyTemperature += n($PlanetTemperature); if(abs($BodyTemperature) >= $TooHot) {$Player.Health -= abs($PlanetTemperature)}

What they need to do is make lava kill monsters. I was on a volcanic planet and a bunch of monsters chased me into a ravine, so I jumped out and tried to kill them by pouring lava on them, and it didn't even damage them. C'mon Starbound team this is basic stuff here.

black hold
Jan 30, 2015
I would swear that they do things like that to purposefully make you wonder why. Its a great way to mess with people who bought the game. As for temperature gear, i would be all for having the ability to modify armor to add cold or heat protection, but only one or the other. Just a reason to keep using some older ores which are just stockpiling in my ship with no where to go.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'd love some procedurally-generated story, if that's even possible. Something that allows Starbound to be the type of game that you can tell stories about later on.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Bilal posted:

What they need to do is make lava kill monsters. I was on a volcanic planet and a bunch of monsters chased me into a ravine, so I jumped out and tried to kill them by pouring lava on them, and it didn't even damage them. C'mon Starbound team this is basic stuff here.

Well if the monsters were born in that planet maybe they evolved to resist lava. :downs:

Is gravity/day duration tied to planet size/orbit (like it should be) or does the game just generate random values?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cicadas! posted:

So, the moonbase mission, and the other one too I guess. They're instanced, right? As in they'll reset themselves every time you come back? Are these set in stone, or could modders use this to, I dunno, do poo poo like generate random prefab structures that don't have to rely on worldgen and change every time? Some sort of roguish dungeon, perhaps? Or set up their own divergent hubs like the Outpost, or pregenerated planets for some kind of world-spanning final boss? Are these things that would/could be possible?

They can indeed do that. the 'Your Starbound Crew' mod has you teleporting to pre-generated areas to recruit your crew members, and they show up as missions on your ship just like the Lunar Base does.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

black hold posted:

I would swear that they do things like that to purposefully make you wonder why. Its a great way to mess with people who bought the game. As for temperature gear, i would be all for having the ability to modify armor to add cold or heat protection, but only one or the other. Just a reason to keep using some older ores which are just stockpiling in my ship with no where to go.

Right now, it IS only one or the other though. When you get the final nanoshield vs hot worlds, that does not work against cold worlds. If you want to go to cold worlds again, you have to switch back. Or at least that's how it was when I was more actively messing around with this stable.

Pentaro posted:

Well if the monsters were born in that planet maybe they evolved to resist lava. :downs:

They also evolve to resist spikes placed as Floran dungeon scenery :pseudo: (as do the Florans, but not if YOU are a Floran, of course).

On that note, I wonder if they will put Hyotl towns under water? Can NPC's drown to death?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 20, 2015

black hold
Jan 30, 2015
Kinda wish they would remove the heat/cold from the nano suit and add in some combo poison/ heat planets for example and just have some ridiculous ore loads/crates. But that is probably coming in the form of the questline giving combo nanosuits in the next big update

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Bilal posted:

I'm pretty sure it's intentional. I tried using a flame pistol on creatures on a volcanic planet, and they are immune to burn.

I mean, I guess it makes sense, but it is disappointing.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
What's the best "build your own ship block by block" mod out right now? The big one from the old version of the game isn't updated yet.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

deadly_pudding posted:

They could add extra slots for weather gear, or use the backpack slot? They already have that survival pack that you don't need because the first quest gives you a free O2 nanosuit.

The big problem with the nanosuits in the game right now is they completely remove the temperature system. As it stands, the planetary hazards just suck so this is sort of okay, but it shouldn't be that way. Ideally, temperature would actually be an interesting system that made visiting that planet a unique experience, and in that case you wouldn't want to completely remove it! With that line of thought, nanosuits (or whatever) would just give you maybe a very strong resistance.

(and furthermore there would be multiple ways of addressing each hazard - wear a suit for passive 90% resistance versus craftable heaters/torches/etc that completely negate the cold effect, but require a resource & time investment to place each item)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Ice_Mallet posted:

I'm pretty sure it's intentional. I tried using a flame pistol on creatures on a volcanic planet, and they are immune to burn.

I mean, I guess it makes sense, but it is disappointing.

Yeah I just checked to make sure, but it definitely hurts normal monsters, I've heard of people burning creatures to death for along time and never heard of it not working - guess it's an immunity issue.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

XboxPants posted:

The big problem with the nanosuits in the game right now is they completely remove the temperature system. As it stands, the planetary hazards just suck so this is sort of okay, but it shouldn't be that way. Ideally, temperature would actually be an interesting system that made visiting that planet a unique experience, and in that case you wouldn't want to completely remove it! With that line of thought, nanosuits (or whatever) would just give you maybe a very strong resistance.

(and furthermore there would be multiple ways of addressing each hazard - wear a suit for passive 90% resistance versus craftable heaters/torches/etc that completely negate the cold effect, but require a resource & time investment to place each item)

Craftables with accessible but difficult, given the system, ingredients that negate (e.g. Something that negates kill-you-instantly cold planets requiring something that only drops from creatures / is sold from merchants / is found on all sorts of planets but is more common on colder ones), and earnables that mitigate the same (i.e. Suit upgrades or techs - perhaps themselves upgradeable - which provide much the same thing by way of dungeons, quests) for people like me that will play with a system, but quickly get bored with it and look for something to turn it off. Hunger is interesting the first time 'round, but after an hour or two, I never want to look at food again. Fighting weak creatures is neat, but eventually I want something that kills them quickly or just makes them not attack. Temperature is interesting, but eventually I wonder why my character can't make a temperature-controlled, radiation-shielded, air-generating/recycling suit of some sort when that would be required to explore on an asteroid anyway. But, you know, my character eventually dying of radiation poisoning because of just one too many low-level-suit extra-atmospheric jaunts would be fine.

Oh, and Novakid settlements. That'd be nice.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Put Novakid settlements in asteroid fields. That or make it possible to visit gas giants and put them there.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Hi, starbound thread.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Polyseme posted:

Craftables with accessible but difficult, given the system, ingredients that negate (e.g. Something that negates kill-you-instantly cold planets requiring something that only drops from creatures / is sold from merchants / is found on all sorts of planets but is more common on colder ones), and earnables that mitigate the same (i.e. Suit upgrades or techs - perhaps themselves upgradeable - which provide much the same thing by way of dungeons, quests) for people like me that will play with a system, but quickly get bored with it and look for something to turn it off. Hunger is interesting the first time 'round, but after an hour or two, I never want to look at food again. Fighting weak creatures is neat, but eventually I want something that kills them quickly or just makes them not attack. Temperature is interesting, but eventually I wonder why my character can't make a temperature-controlled, radiation-shielded, air-generating/recycling suit of some sort when that would be required to explore on an asteroid anyway.

What I'm thinking is that the planetary mechanics should be interesting enough that you wouldn't want to remove them from the game, for the most part. Right now all the effects suck, they're all just frustration, like pure damage or slower movement. They could be better. For instance, maybe being cold could make your character really slippery, but in a sort of fast-paced, all-over-the-place way, something that you could even use to your advantage, like you're wearing ice skates.

Like you say, if there's a way to just permanently turn off a system, many people will just do that and never look back, probably before even trying it, and then wonder why every planet is so "samey". You should at least be able to build a base that has baseline physics and no debuffs, though.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I mistakenly went down to a snowy planet with the wrong nanoskin, and I actually did slide around while moving down there, so not only does the skin protect you from cold, it protects you from sliding on ice, kinda lame.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Musluk posted:

Hi, starbound thread.

hello, friend

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Eonwe posted:

hello, friend

Nothing much going on with the thread and the game it seems.

That's a shame.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Starbound is a video game, confirm/deny?

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

Afraid of Audio posted:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Afraid of Audio posted:

i think its a dick but im not sure

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I really just want them to finish the game, even if they say 'gently caress it' and leave it a poorly implemented mess. I've been enjoying building poo poo, but I don't want to get too attached or put too much time into my structures when there's probably gonna be more wipes. Honestly, no matter what they release I'm probably going to be changing lots of stuff with mods, so the quality of what they sign off on isn't such a huge deal.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Davoren posted:

I really just want them to finish the game, even if they say 'gently caress it' and leave it a poorly implemented mess. I've been enjoying building poo poo, but I don't want to get too attached or put too much time into my structures when there's probably gonna be more wipes. Honestly, no matter what they release I'm probably going to be changing lots of stuff with mods, so the quality of what they sign off on isn't such a huge deal.

It should be a huge deal, but we live in the post early access world.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Musluk posted:

It should be a huge deal, but we live in the post early access world.

It should read "we live in a post Electronic Arts world."

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

grimcreaper posted:

It should read "we live in a post Xbox 360 world."
Think about it long enough and eventually you realize it was a harbinger.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Think about it long enough and eventually you realize it was a harbinger.

It all went downhill with the first pong console, tbh.

Anyway. Mods are nice, but I still wish the base game was better than this.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Guys, I'm having legitimate fun with the game, I'm decorating my house, and my ship, and all that stuff.

Am I ok? :ohdear:

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Guys, I'm having legitimate fun with the game, I'm decorating my house, and my ship, and all that stuff.

Am I ok? :ohdear:

Heh, I was starting to wonder the same thing sometimes.

Not that I couldn't come up with a long list of stuff to change, though - I think one of my main beefs at the moment is with the "random" generation of features on planets, there's no reason I should be digging down in a relatively small area and see the same exact Apex arcade room generated 2-3+ times, the same abandoned lab, etc.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Deathwing posted:

Heh, I was starting to wonder the same thing sometimes.

Not that I couldn't come up with a long list of stuff to change, though - I think one of my main beefs at the moment is with the "random" generation of features on planets, there's no reason I should be digging down in a relatively small area and see the same exact Apex arcade room generated 2-3+ times, the same abandoned lab, etc.

Yeah, and I'm looking forward to this game having some sort of endgame, because I like screwing around and wasting time WAY more when I know there's a story or major goal I should be aiming for (no sarcasm. See also: Skyrim, Shenmue, Just Cause 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, and I'm looking forward to this game having some sort of endgame, because I like screwing around and wasting time WAY more when I know there's a story or major goal I should be aiming for (no sarcasm. See also: Skyrim, Shenmue, Just Cause 2)

I have a bad habit of doing this and then forgetting there actually IS a story, then i get burnt out on playing, quit, and then never finish it.

• Locked thread