Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace Review (Part 1 of 7)
RedLetterMedia

Views:

Looks like the schtick worked to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Someone please just post that gif where Rich Evans uses his wizard powers to unflip a table.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I'm kind of surprised there doesn't seem to be any skit-free edit available; I've seen a lot of people talking about it over the years.

I kind of like the really brief dark humor throwaway lines, but the skits just get tedious when I'm really there for the criticism.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I still giggle at when Ryan North shat on the Plinkett reviews a while back and folk on a previous IC thread tried to pin the criticism as a "nobody on tumblr".

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Jimbot posted:

The guy just said he has highly critical opinions of the Star Wars films and his shtick is that he's a piece of garbage human. it's why people repeat the criticisms and not "but Plinkett cummed into his TV so hard it was destroyed!" when the movies are discussed. Or why they said check out the Plinkett reviews for a well thought-out opinion on the films but you might want to skip the sketches.

While they try to pass 'I don't like things that are different' as a running joke, it's painfully obvious that it's also the truth.

There's a section where they rattle off a list of directors who are 'permitted' to not follow the rules they just made up for movies, thus making George Lucas bad because he's not on the list. The films are judged by how they should have been instead of how they are. If all films really were supposed to naturally have one central protagonist who gets taught how things work, then yeah the movie is bad. But that's not a methodology that works with films. Imagine if we thought about plays like that. Romeo and Juliet just got shat right out of the human canon, no-one is told how the world works, and instead a narrator tells the audience what's happening! What bullshit!

Who's the protagonist of Lord of the Rings? The Frodo guy who's not in ninety percent of the battles? No wait, I just checked and it turns out Tolkien's on the list of authors allowed to defy my bullshit rules and do something different.

This is coming from someone who thinks the plinkett reviews and RLM in general are great, by the way. They're funny and it's fascinating seeing people talk about movies and actually take the time to properly explain themselves, it's a real shame no-one bothers to do much else other than quote them in the Star Wars thread. Developing an opinion is cool. Opinions are like assholes, if you don't flex them and educate yourself about how they work and properly regulate what comes out of them, they smell like poo poo and you get butt problems.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

His old man asides are generally funny but so many of the skits are way too long.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It's funny how so many people who consume RLM media don't 'get' RLM media. Plinkett is kind of the perfect combination of the cynical sides of both Mike and Jay, the things they find awful and disgusting. Watching the stuff Jay has made on his own really shows how much of the Plinkett character comes from him, the things he's afraid of and finds disgusting. All of it they kind of pile onto him to make as revolting a character as possible, which is entirely the point.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
the trouble with plinkett is the same trouble as all satire:

you have to be exceptionally good at parody, tone, acting, and raw writing talent to make that kind of parody "work" for everyone. Stephen Colbert is that good; the RLM guys are not.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Ehhhh it's probably a little unfair to compare a professional satirist on cable TV with a huge staff of writers to a couple of greasy amateurs on youtube.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

the trouble with plinkett is the same trouble as all satire:

you have to be exceptionally good at parody, tone, acting, and raw writing talent to make that kind of parody "work" for everyone. Stephen Colbert is that good; the RLM guys are not.

Yup. You've got it totally right. Look at these hack frauds, editing, acting, building sets, doing effects, and producing content on a shoestring budget. How dare they hope to attain the comedy heights of an international star with all of a channel's weight thrown behind him.

They just don't have the talent, they should give up.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

ACES Sephiroth expressed the exact same point as you without coming off as a hyperbolic whiny baby.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
RLM isn't lacking in general talent or quality, far from it. But it takes a very specific, well-honed Knack for that sort of thing. I don't have it and they don't have it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Plinkett and RLM in general are good and funny and talented handsome people with great insights into the art of making movies

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

e X posted:

The thing is, they added the whole shtick specifically because they thought nobody would want to listen to them bitching about Star Wars for over an hour without some gimmick.

That makes me sad. Plinkett's review is one of the best dissections of The Phantom Menace I've ever seen, and that's in spite of the dreary tedium of Plinkett's character. Frankly Plinkett's character is also why it is the only Red Letter Media video I've ever watched. I was under the impression Plinkett was more widespread and that immediately convinced me not to look at them any further.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Sounds like we got some jealous critics in this thread. Youre just mad you dont 10,000 dollars a month on Patreon.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Rebochan posted:

Someone please just post that gif where Rich Evans uses his wizard powers to unflip a table.

Fine, I'll do it.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Omnicrom posted:

That makes me sad. Plinkett's review is one of the best dissections of The Phantom Menace I've ever seen, and that's in spite of the dreary tedium of Plinkett's character. Frankly Plinkett's character is also why it is the only Red Letter Media video I've ever watched. I was under the impression Plinkett was more widespread and that immediately convinced me not to look at them any further.

Yeah, agreed. Like others here I would really like to rewatch the RLM SW prequel reviews with the skits edited out. I'm sure they must be out there somewhere.

Hbomberguy, no we haven't forgotten your previous derail over the SW prequels.

The second part of the Spoony movie review was...ok...I guess. The less time he spends on camera the better I like his pieces.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

PresidentBeard posted:

ACES Sephiroth expressed the exact same point as you without coming off as a hyperbolic whiny baby.

I responded in the exact manner that post deserved, respond in kind so to speak. RLM, as a group, has far more talent than Colbert has as an individual, I don't even see how this is an argument that can be had. Their level of dedication to their films, side projects, and art is what more people getting into filmmaking should try to emulate. Each person has their own style, and it shows through, even when working collectively individual facets of each person stand out.

Comparing them to a huge, polished television show and calling them worse than the face of it is a huge insult.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

JB50 posted:

Sounds like we got some jealous critics in this thread. Youre just mad you dont 10,000 dollars a month on Patreon.
Critics are, famously, motivated by money.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Hbomberguy posted:

Critics are, famously, motivated by money.

A lot of them are, yes.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Then a lot of film critics are really stupid. No surprises there! Enjoy being poor!

I am a film critic and write for a film website

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

I think you'd get a similar improvement if you cut all the skits out of current era Nostalgia Critic as well.

The Jaden Smith skit at the beginning of the After Earth video retroactively justified every other awful boring slog of skit that came before it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nostalgia Critic reviews are extremely surface-level and forced, though. RLM really shows him up as the amateur he is.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

"RLM gets a lotta dosh from their fans" is a bit of a poo poo point when I can just go "Felix Arvid Ulf Kjellberg makes around 2-3 million a year from doing stuff on youtube" and "Guy Fieri Anything".

Please note that I'm not saying that RLM is terrible at what they do.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 19, 2015

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

My favourite NC thing was when he complained that too much of Waterworld involved doing stuff, and things happening to things. Waterworld has problems (I know, what a surprise!) but its popcultural status as the worst thing ever seems to have tricked people into claiming creative and thematically-relevant set and prop design is bad.

It would be like complaining Heaven's Gate is bad because it's got too many beautifully-shot period-appropriate sets. Or Fargo is bad because so much of it takes place in the snow holy poo poo I hope they fired someone.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I am flipping a coin between the Lorax rant to the strawman executives about sticking to artistic expression or the segment on Airborne where he looks at the main character surfing and berates him for surfing and missing surfing days after he moves to an inland snowy town.

I mean the latter's fun, but the earlier one just gets more and more hosed up if you look at what he did months before that.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Just discovered this guy doing an in depth review of the worst game of all time. The F.A.T.A.L. RPG

http://youtu.be/_kesjVURL1U

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hbomberguy posted:

While they try to pass 'I don't like things that are different' as a running joke, it's painfully obvious that it's also the truth.

There's a section where they rattle off a list of directors who are 'permitted' to not follow the rules they just made up for movies, thus making George Lucas bad because he's not on the list. The films are judged by how they should have been instead of how they are. If all films really were supposed to naturally have one central protagonist who gets taught how things work, then yeah the movie is bad. But that's not a methodology that works with films. Imagine if we thought about plays like that. Romeo and Juliet just got shat right out of the human canon, no-one is told how the world works, and instead a narrator tells the audience what's happening! What bullshit!

Who's the protagonist of Lord of the Rings? The Frodo guy who's not in ninety percent of the battles? No wait, I just checked and it turns out Tolkien's on the list of authors allowed to defy my bullshit rules and do something different.

This is coming from someone who thinks the plinkett reviews and RLM in general are great, by the way. They're funny and it's fascinating seeing people talk about movies and actually take the time to properly explain themselves, it's a real shame no-one bothers to do much else other than quote them in the Star Wars thread. Developing an opinion is cool. Opinions are like assholes, if you don't flex them and educate yourself about how they work and properly regulate what comes out of them, they smell like poo poo and you get butt problems.

Much as a like the RLM guys, that sequence where they have people fail to describe characters is pure bullshit.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Would have made a better case had they not been friends or people who worked on the video. The idea is the same, though. Those characters don't really leave an impression.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

People have ranted inarticulately about the characters for fifteen years. Latest criticism: They don't leave an impression!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

JB50 posted:

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace Review (Part 1 of 7)
RedLetterMedia

Views:

Looks like the schtick worked to me.

JB50 posted:

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yup. You've got it totally right. Look at these hack frauds, editing, acting, building sets, doing effects, and producing content on a shoestring budget. How dare they hope to attain the comedy heights of an international star with all of a channel's weight thrown behind him.

They just don't have the talent, they should give up.

You care.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kunster posted:

"RLM gets a lotta dosh from their fans" is a bit of a poo poo point when I can just go "Felix Arvid Ulf Kjellberg makes around 2-3 million a year from doing stuff on youtube" and "Guy Fieri Anything".

Please note that I'm not saying that RLM is terrible at what they do.

I'd argue that creating a gimmick that works as successfully as them does show real talent. Like, you've really got to think crazy like a fox to come up with Guy Fieri's gimmick and be sure that that's where the money is. It's Kaufmanesque.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
So, here's SuperBunnyHop's new videos this week:

Alien's influence on gaming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYtQmayyDLA

REmake vs REmake remake vs RE1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df_ET25Z-EQ

I now want to give Alien: Isolation and REmake a try at some point.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hbomberguy posted:

People have ranted inarticulately about the characters for fifteen years. Latest criticism: They don't leave an impression!

At this point I feel brevity is the way to go. It's a wonderful word. Unfortunately it's one a lot of pseudo-intellectuals prone self-indulgent masturbatory analysis seem to forget or ignore.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Jimbot posted:

At this point I feel brevity is the way to go. It's a wonderful word. Unfortunately it's one a lot of pseudo-intellectuals prone self-indulgent masturbatory analysis seem to forget or ignore.

Why does film analysis make you think about masturbating?

Also, a little picky but isn't all masturbation self-indulgent?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Here, allow me to unsuccessfully rerail the thread:

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
And speaking of Spoony:

quote:

If you're having trouble spotting what the camera's focused on at the very end of the review, try looking there in an earlier scene.

It's one of two things. Here's a zoomed screencap from the end of the review:

It's either:
1) The circled thing. It wasn't present in the other Dr. Insano scene. Looks like a game cartridge, but I don't recognize which one
2) The arrow-pointed-at thing. It was present the entire review. Again, I don't recognize the logo.

Any thoughts?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

lornekates posted:

1) The circled thing. It wasn't present in the other Dr. Insano scene. Looks like a game cartridge, but I don't recognize which one

The grey one on the right is almost definitely Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII;

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 20, 2015

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

lornekates posted:

And speaking of Spoony:

It's one of two things. Here's a zoomed screencap from the end of the review:

It's either:
2) The arrow-pointed-at thing. It was present the entire review. Again, I don't recognize the logo.

Any thoughts?

The arrow thing looks like The Ultimate Warrior's logo (which I only recognize because of that horrible comic Linkara reviewed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
It got lost in the derail, so here it is again:

:siren: Todd reviews Jealous by Nick Jonas :siren:

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/jealous-by-nick-jonas-7161267

• Locked thread