Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

NotALizardman posted:

Seriously though, Sekai is just kind of inoffensive and bland. I'm not sure where all the insanely hyperbolic hate for him is coming from. He's just a generic shounen protagonist.
This thread is a bit of an echo chamber but man Sekai is just boring as hell. I am sorry, but even Reiji had more going for him last season. This season it's just hey this is pretty much the same character but even less interesting.

Oh and I guess I was the only one that thought of this when Denial Gundam sprouted a mane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I would have liked the Fumina transformation kick laser action if she had of fired them through the foot part into the guys face when she kicked it. That would have doubled down on the surprise part of it, and demonstrated a more tactical, ruthless turn. Would have probably needed some foreshadowing.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I agree. I still reckon Fumina was on the drawing board from the start as the main character, right up until someone lost their goddamn mind at the thought of a Gundam series with a female protagonist and made the writers shift focus to Sekai. Of the three protagonists, she's the most fleshed-out one. Plus with her as the all-rounder, they'd have had room to show her improving her Gunpla-building by learning from Yuuma and improving her fighting ability with Sekai to get some basic character interaction going.

Yeah, it's hard to reach another conclusion. Just compare the opening scenes of Series 1 and 2. They are literally exactly the same (character in massive gundam battle that shows their weakness), then it has the title sequence, then it has another character doing weird, relatively inexplicable poo poo.

Except that in Series 1 it's Sei Iori -> Reiji, then in Series 2 it's Fumina -> Sekai.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

While that's true, both Sei and Reiji had personality. Reiji didn't just start playing and winning, once Ral showed him the Zeon Bar he kept going back on his own initiative to train and practice against Fellini right up until the start of the first major fight. They both interacted and played off each-other in general conversations, as well as just hanging out with their fellow fighters.

You realize I said exactly this in the post you quoted, right? I was trying to point out that while Try is a worse show than the original, it's not really because the main character isn't getting a character arc, it's just because the writing all around isn't up to the same standard and that the characters don't display as much personality, nor does the show have as much self awareness as the original did. This last episode was the worst in the show in my opinion, but outside that it's an okay show that's following a really good one.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah, it's hard to reach another conclusion. Just compare the opening scenes of Series 1 and 2. They are literally exactly the same (character in massive gundam battle that shows their weakness), then it has the title sequence, then it has another character doing weird, relatively inexplicable poo poo.

Except that in Series 1 it's Sei Iori -> Reiji, then in Series 2 it's Fumina -> Sekai.

Sekai also fulfills pretty much exactly the same function in season two as Reiji did in season one, being the primary fighter of the group and an outsider coming in to help the main character (Fumina) realize her dream.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I hope the Star Winning sells out everywhere forever because drat if that kit doesn't deserve it.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Lostconfused posted:

This thread is a bit of an echo chamber but man Sekai is just boring as hell. I am sorry, but even Reiji had more going for him last season. This season it's just hey this is pretty much the same character but even less interesting.

Oh and I guess I was the only one that thought of this when Denial Gundam sprouted a mane

The first thing that popped into my head was the Nobel Gundam. But that was the second.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I started watching the original Build Fighters and it is just so much better. I kind of miss not being able to keep up in real time with that thread now. Oh the suffering! If only they just made Fumina the main character already.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

I think someone else mentioned Full Metal Panic, which is also what I thought of. The Codarl had a pony tail the whole time though.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Try isnt as good as Season 1, but any season with Tryon 3 is ok by me.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Pureauthor posted:

I hope the Star Winning sells out everywhere forever because drat if that kit doesn't deserve it.

The kit itself is pretty much your average SDBB, which is to say that instead of this:

you're getting this:

There'll probably be a sticker sheet for most of the details, but in the end it's still very much a kit you need to spend a ton of time touching up.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I was thinking about trying out some Super Robot shows, but Build Fighters Try has completely killed all my interest in that. I'm so sick and tired of a spunky tween yelling some words that mean "punch", and then winning because he had his heart in his fist and the other guy's robot was evil colors. I'm gonna stick with shows about adults piloting robots that break down and then at the end everyone dies.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

boom boom boom posted:

I was thinking about trying out some Super Robot shows, but Build Fighters Try has completely killed all my interest in that. I'm so sick and tired of a spunky tween yelling some words that mean "punch", and then winning because he had his heart in his fist and the other guy's robot was evil colors. I'm gonna stick with shows about adults piloting robots that break down and then at the end everyone dies.

Good super robot shows don't do that. Well, apart from GaoGaiGar, I guess. Watch Gunbuster, Shin Mazinger or Giant Robo. Even if they do do that practically every one will be more interesting than Sekai.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Watch G Gundam. Get hype.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Suzaku posted:

Watch G Gundam. Get hype.

This show is getting close to making me retroactively not like G Gundam.

No, that's not true, I'll always love G Gundam.

I swear to god, if Sekai actually beats Junya just by punching better I will not like it at all and it will be terrible.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The innermost mystery of the Jigen Haoh school is simply to Jigen Haoh harder. I also want Junya to at least beat down Sekai since Junya actually knows how to do more than one thing.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
My one disappointment so far has been that Junya did not get more sell. This guy needed to be the Monster Heel waiting at the end for Sekai. Maybe have him stomp a mudhole in the Gunpla Academy, to EVERYONE'S shock, and wind up in the finals. Having him show up now feels like they wasted a perfectly good chance.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

chumbler posted:

The innermost mystery of the Jigen Haoh school is simply to Jigen Haoh harder. I also want Junya to at least beat down Sekai since Junya actually knows how to do more than one thing.

Yeah, if Junya kicks Sekai's rear end, actually defeats him, and then Fumina and Yuuma come in and defeat Junya, that would own. This show would win back so many points for me if they did that. Just having a fight end with Sekai defeated would be a huge step forward for this show.

Gearhead posted:

My one disappointment so far has been that Junya did not get more sell. This guy needed to be the Monster Heel waiting at the end for Sekai. Maybe have him stomp a mudhole in the Gunpla Academy, to EVERYONE'S shock, and wind up in the finals. Having him show up now feels like they wasted a perfectly good chance.

Oh yeah, Junya has been completely wasted. Sekai's mysterious long lost sempai who he hasn't really said anything about at all until he showed up this episode. And their relationship is going to be resolved next episode. What an exciting two episode rivalry! Don't save their showdown for the end or build it up at all, that would distract from Sekai's showdown with that guy he met once who's also good at Gunpla Battle.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

boom boom boom posted:

Oh yeah, Junya has been completely wasted. Sekai's mysterious long lost sempai who he hasn't really said anything about at all until he showed up this episode. And their relationship is going to be resolved next episode. What an exciting two episode rivalry! Don't save their showdown for the end or build it up at all, that would distract from Sekai's showdown with that guy he met once who's also good at Gunpla Battle.

Seeing Junya just tear through EVERYONE who has been advertised as a rival to the Try Fighters so far, and have him sitting there at the other side of the table, grinning his mad mad smile would've been fun.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Sakurazuka posted:

Good super robot shows don't do that. Well, apart from GaoGaiGar, I guess.

Gaogaigar is not at all like that until Final actually and it always annoys me how people act like just because Final was "I HAVE THE G-STONE WHICH HAS INFINITE POWER BECAUSE OF COURAGE" that the series was the same.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I actually can't wait for Build Fighters Try to get into Extreme VS because I'd love to see how they get Build Burning to work. Obviously it'd have a Lightning and Winning Assist, Burning Mode as a regenerating super mode, and Assimilation for the EX mode, but what the hell else can it do? God and Shining actually had other weapons besides their fists they could spam while they're getting in close, but the Build Burning has jack poo poo. They might actually have to skip to Try Burning to make it work.

...Unless they give it that GM beam spray gun anyways. :v:

Meanwhile Build Strike has the opposite problem where it has so much poo poo it can do that I don't know how they'd handle it. Absorb Shield would be amazingly game changing, to the point that SBS would probably have to be limited to a super mode of the Build Strike FP like the IWSP, and RG Mode would probably be the EX mode, but how would the discharges be implemented, and would the assist be Build mkII/Beginning or Fenice/Maoh/Sengoku, and would it get a Build Strike Repair form like the Exia does, and how would they implement all the random weapons the Build Strike used over the course of the show, and more importantly how would they implement the baseball episode?

It's a shame that I'll probably have to wait till the next revision for Build Fighters to get in.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

BlitzBlast posted:

The kit itself is pretty much your average SDBB, which is to say that instead of this:

you're getting this:

There'll probably be a sticker sheet for most of the details, but in the end it's still very much a kit you need to spend a ton of time touching up.

Welp, guess this will be the first kit I actually will attempt to paint. :ohdear:

I'm kind of hoping that when Not-Domon Master shows up that the big reveal is that Jigen Haoh Ryu was actually a Gunpla Martial Arts this whole time and that both Junya and Sekai overlooked all the Gundam references thrown at him during training because they didn't know what Gundam/Gunpla was.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

BlitzBlast posted:

Meanwhile Build Strike has the opposite problem where it has so much poo poo it can do that I don't know how they'd handle it. Absorb Shield would be amazingly game changing, to the point that SBS would probably have to be limited to a super mode of the Build Strike FP like the IWSP, and RG Mode would probably be the EX mode, but how would the discharges be implemented, and would the assist be Build mkII/Beginning or Fenice/Maoh/Sengoku, and would it get a Build Strike Repair form like the Exia does, and how would they implement all the random weapons the Build Strike used over the course of the show, and more importantly how would they implement the baseball episode?

It's a shame that I'll probably have to wait till the next revision for Build Fighters to get in.

Tanking hits and powering up from it would probably be a limited option it could only do for a little bit, kinda like the Crossbone capes I would guess. They could also take the X2 removable cape approach and have an absorb mode and a discharge mode, with different moves for each, though if that transformation were cancellable it would probably be broke as gently caress. Maybe you can only absorb up to a limit then you can't tank shots unless you discharge?

I'd rather see Star Winning. Funnels and mode swapping gameplay kinda like the Victory? :fap:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Fenice would also be amazing if they make it like the Re-GZ and it starts every battle on its bike.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They can just have Sekai throw firebirds or rocks.

Edit:

Actually, in retrospect, they really shouldn't have used Sleggar in BFT. They should have had a dude who was basically Doan. That would have owned.

Edit 2:
... wait, I forget, who beat Shin Matsunaga's team? We're down to the Best 4 after Junya loses/ (Tryon, Try, Celestial and Nemesis). Who finished them off, I can't even remember.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 19, 2015

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

They can just have Sekai throw firebirds or rocks.

Edit:

Actually, in retrospect, they really shouldn't have used Sleggar in BFT. They should have had a dude who was basically Doan. That would have owned.

Edit 2:
... wait, I forget, who beat Shin Matsunaga's team? We're down to the Best 4 after Junya loses/ (Tryon, Try, Celestial and Nemesis). Who finished them off, I can't even remember.

Try was the third match this bracket, so right now we've had Tryon, Celestial, (soon to be) Try, and presumably Nemisis will smash Team White Wolf in round 4.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

BlitzBlast posted:

Fenice would also be amazing if they make it like the Re-GZ and it starts every battle on its bike.

Hell, Maxi Boost has the Gedlav, anything is possible.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Caros posted:

Try was the third match this bracket, so right now we've had Tryon, Celestial, (soon to be) Try, and presumably Nemisis will smash Team White Wolf in round 4.

Oh yeah, that British guy who's showed up and is important I guess

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ActionZero posted:

Gaogaigar is not at all like that until Final actually and it always annoys me how people act like just because Final was "I HAVE THE G-STONE WHICH HAS INFINITE POWER BECAUSE OF COURAGE" that the series was the same.

I meant more just shouting stuff because I have 'HELL AND HEAVEN' and 'GOLDION HAMMMER!!!' seared into my brain.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

boom boom boom posted:

Oh yeah, that British guy who's showed up and is important I guess

The kid from season 1, who Aila admonished to get his own drat trophy. I'm not really sure what he actually has in this fight, since it's pretty clear he's already pushing world league class in Europe, unless he's looking for more people to grind levels on before he graduates to the big time.

Him vs Gunpla Academy would be the most goddamn boring thing because they'd be sitting across from one another emoting weakly.

EDIT: What I'm getting at is that I want Wilfred's hair to come undone and the restraining bolt concealed inside of it falls free, causing Wilfred to go FULL BUSHIDO at the best possible moment and no amount of effort on his teammates allows them to get his muzzle back on before the finals.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 19, 2015

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Sakurazuka posted:

I meant more just shouting stuff because I have 'HELL AND HEAVEN' and 'GOLDION HAMMMER!!!' seared into my brain.

You're no fun. :colbert:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

I actually can't wait for Build Fighters Try to get into Extreme VS because I'd love to see how they get Build Burning to work.
You are talking about a game that already has Epyon in it and that thing only has a whip and a sword.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Fair point!

Poor Epyon, I think it's still the worst 3000 unit, and possibly the outright worst unit in the game.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Only in FB, it's ok in Maxi Boost http://exvsrank.ninja-x.jp/exvsmb_30.html

Didn't bother to actually find out how they managed to make it not suck.

Edit: Also, Kapool is the worst unit in the game. Which is a huge crime to be honest.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 19, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Artum posted:

You're no fun. :colbert:

I never said I didn't enjoy it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

chumbler posted:

Sekai is going to remember a technique that he learned from his master, and no matter how dire any situation was before now that using said technique would have solved, he will only just now start using it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Abulhool shows up and is cool, this makes me happy. Then it pulls a cobra, Yuuma flips his thrusters into full reverse like the GP-01 FB and does an Isamu to get above Guld. Cool. Good fight but they had to cut corners on the Cobra which is understandable.

Fumina just does a cool thing against a cool kit.

Sekai and Junya yell at each other and keep doing named moves like an RPG. The only hype part of their fight was the Dempsey roll. And the fact that it has the cooling strands from an Amalgam Arm Slave.

Junya gunpla's design doesn't really make any sense and maybe they'll explain it. If they don't, ok I guess he just copied Sei's Build burning.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I really do wish they had put a bit more time into animating Yuuma's fight because now that I actually understand what's going on it's by far the coolest bit of the episode. But I guess the effort went into the Dempsey Roll instead, so fair enough.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah it was kind of oddly cut but I knew exactly what I was looking at with each maneuver because it's basically just 100% from other things I'm already familiar with spliced together.

And now I'm really upset the main character isn't an MMA fighter who uses all kinds of martial arts techniques.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, if Junya kicks Sekai's rear end, actually defeats him, and then Fumina and Yuuma come in and defeat Junya, that would own. This show would win back so many points for me if they did that. Just having a fight end with Sekai defeated would be a huge step forward for this show.

You mean like last episode, where Sekai was defeated by SD-R and Fumina/Yuuma had to finish the fight?

Lostconfused posted:

Only in FB, it's ok in Maxi Boost http://exvsrank.ninja-x.jp/exvsmb_30.html

Didn't bother to actually find out how they managed to make it not suck.

Full Boost is a game about careful, patient poking and timing punishes while Maxi is much more aggressive in general. There's some system changes that incentivize this, but this isn't really the thread.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The proportions on Denial are wild and I want a kit bad. It's almost Throne-like in design when everything comes together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Kanos posted:

You mean like last episode, where Sekai was defeated by SD-R and Fumina/Yuuma had to finish the fight?

Nope, the Try Burning's glowy parts went from red back to blue, but it never actually powered down, and Sekai's cockpit hologram thing was red with all the CAUTION signs, but it never went black like when a fighter is defeated. The Try Burning was not actually defeated in that fight.

• Locked thread