Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Neither Serato DJ or Scratch Live generate a clock signal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
LOL seriously? Well that was a whole lot of words for nothing. They have that 'Bridge' thing though, don't they? That's not really exactly what Jillionaire is looking for but at a glance it seems to work without much headache.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I don't think it's on Serato DJ but it's on Scratch Live. I also don't think it works very well.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Yeah Bridge is an extension of Scratch Live as far as I can tell. Looked cool when it came out, gives me all the basic functionality I'd be looking for ala Ableton, but I'd need a Scratch Live setup to pull it off. And yeah, I've heard mixed reviews of how well it works.

I heard a KiNK set where I'm pretty sure he was coupling things with his TR-8 for added rhythms. Sounded great! I'll have to dig out my controller and play around with some of the virtual Ableton routings to do the KP3 thing. Thanks Mister Speaker!

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!

Champ Baldoon posted:

I have two stanton ST150s and I love them. No need to get 1200s when the super OEMs are just as good and come new. I was able to get my ST150s with road cases ($100 value) for $500 on eBay. These are the guys I went through, I don't think they are doing the roadcase deal anymore but $430 for these tables is a good deal. It says used but mine came new.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stanton-ST-150-ST150-Digital-Turntable-with-S-Tone-Arm-/311295531467?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487aa8d9cb

Voting for 150's as well. I love mine and got them from Zzounds with their payment plan.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Near mint condition used TTX second generation for 275 (CAD) with cartridge, control vinyl, cover, and slipmats- appears to be in my price range and has been recommended so I'll go with that. Thanks for suggestions!

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 19, 2015

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

dont let me get in my zone

Poizen Jam posted:

Near mint condition used TTX second generation for 275 (CAD) with cartridge, control vinyl, cover, and slipmats- appears to be in my price range and has been recommended so I'll go with that. Thanks for suggestions!

Might wanna replace that stylus when you get it. Sounds like a good deal though.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I'm not even sure if that'll be necessary- seems the guy only used it for a few hours at most. Waiting to hear back from him to check it out in next couple days.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

keevo posted:

I don't think it's on Serato DJ but it's on Scratch Live. I also don't think it works very well.

Its got some major limitations, lets put it that way.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So if I wanted to use Serato and Ableton together, is there any way to make that work? Can Serato RECEIVE a clock signal (So I can route Ableton in to Channel C or D)?

Like I said I'd rather not return to the glitchy resource hog that is Traktor.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Poizen Jam posted:

So if I wanted to use Serato and Ableton together, is there any way to make that work? Can Serato RECEIVE a clock signal (So I can route Ableton in to Channel C or D)?

Like I said I'd rather not return to the glitchy resource hog that is Traktor.

You can use scratch live(not dj) with the bridge but thats practically your only option.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Being as I use a DDJ SX2 I really wasn't in the market for a RANE mixer. So this really, really sucks. I do not want to go back to Traktor :(

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Poizen Jam posted:

Being as I use a DDJ SX2 I really wasn't in the market for a RANE mixer. So this really, really sucks. I do not want to go back to Traktor :(

Its not just a rane mixer, its specifically ONLY a ttm57 or sl1 box. The new ones with newer firmware dont work with scratch live.

And honestly, ive never seen anyone do a good bridge set, and i have a really good top40 mix somebody made with bridge years ago but its the only good example ive seen.

Its too complicated and traktor remix sets do a much better job of the same thing. I used to be a huge serato fanboi but now i think traktor is better after theyve crammed all that poo poo into serato dj.

oredun fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 26, 2015

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
That's ironic since I was a Traktor user that switched to Serato after after my first residency (VDJing on a DDJ SX MK1). After using the bloated laggy resource hog that is Traktor, Serato was a minimalist dream to me, and got me away from 'laptop face'. I don't think I'm willing to go back just to bring Ableton into my set. The SX2 mapping for Traktor is nice but it seems to be missing some features.

Midi clock seems a simple feature to implement but what the gently caress do I know about programming DJ software.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Everybody listen to/like/download/share this Shlomo esque Taylor Swift trap remix I made. It started out as a dj routine with traktor and maschine but lately I have been recording my dj routines so..

https://soundcloud.com/jqam/taylor-swift-blank-spaces-jqam-honey-trap-mix

Please share with your weed man, thanks!

bad day fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 2, 2015

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Is there a particular reason I shouldn't use lossless Vinyl rips of songs from my TTX instead of purely digital files? I like the warmth it adds.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Poizen Jam posted:

Is there a particular reason I shouldn't use lossless Vinyl rips of songs from my TTX instead of purely digital files? I like the warmth it adds.

You mean mp3s? No reason other than size. Lots of DJs rip their own vinyl.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Firaga posted:

You mean mp3s? No reason other than size. Lots of DJs rip their own vinyl.

Well, instead of the digitally downloaded copies is what I mean. Most vinyl these days comes with a digital download for 320kbps mp3s I'm finding, but I kind of like the tone of my manual vinyl rips, even in MP3 form.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Poizen Jam posted:

Well, instead of the digitally downloaded copies is what I mean. Most vinyl these days comes with a digital download for 320kbps mp3s I'm finding, but I kind of like the tone of my manual vinyl rips, even in MP3 form.

Yeah, its your choice. Nobody will know the difference when you're playing but if it sounds better to you then do that. Just make sure its a proper rip and not clipping or really quiet. I've been given some lovely vinyl rips that sound like low bitrate mp3s where I've had to crank the gain up to +8 DB just to get it to meter properly but it still sounded washed out and killed the next mix.

People will argue mp3 vs wav/lossless forever but if you're playing on some ancient Vestax and a pair of Yorkville stacks at a bar it doesn't matter either way.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Firaga posted:

People will argue mp3 vs wav/lossless forever...

Play whichever makes you feel better but know that there's audibly no difference between a well produced 320 and wav/flac, particularly through a DJ sound system because they're not set up for audiophile grade reproduction.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
There's one other other factor I would take into consideration when ripping your vinyl. If you're using features of your DJ software like grids, sync, quantization, etc., you should make sure your turntable is in good working order. A bit of wow will throw off the song tempo and make gridding/quantizing/syncing your tracks difficult, if not impossible.

Other than that, yeah just do what sounds best to you (as long as you have the HD space for it). As 88h88 said, with most electronic music there's functionally no difference between a properly-encoded 320kbps MP3 and a WAV file - especially in a club environment. But if you feel your vinyl>preamp>ADC signal path adds particularly pleasing 'warmth' that adds character to your sets, that's awesome, do that.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Anyone looking to buy a Vestax VCI-380 in great shape? I'm looking to get a 4 deck controller

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Finally getting round to sorting out my music collection for Serato. Bit by bit it's going on, just the good poo poo though. It means that pretty much every evening I'm sat with folders full of music playing on shuffle and going 'yup' or 'nope' and I've rediscovered some really cool poo poo.

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental

Mister Speaker posted:

But if you feel your vinyl>preamp>ADC signal path adds particularly pleasing 'warmth' that adds character to your sets, that's awesome, do that.
Pretty much all vinyl releases are also mastered specifically for vinyl so they will be qualitatively different even putting the signal path/hardware aside.

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014
Anyone using an X1 as a standalone DJ controller? If so, how do you crossfade and beat match?

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

liquorlanche posted:

Anyone using an X1 as a standalone DJ controller? If so, how do you crossfade and beat match?

The default X1 mapping has a nudge option which is shift>beat left or right. If your stuff is somewhat on a grid this works but platters are way better for straight up beat matching. As for the x-fader I always keep that off so no comment there.
The X1 as a standalone works if you just want something to practice with between using a real mixer at venues or a friends house or whatever but there are better similar sized and priced controllers out there to use standalone.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Does anyone have tips for mixing disco? I know about riding the pitch(I suck at it though :v:), just wondering about any other less obvious pointers.

Dubstep Jesus fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 17, 2015

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Just keep it moving and don't take your hands off the faders. That leaves you relying on 100% accurate beatmatching which is just impossible sometimes. Don't put yourself in that situation. I often have to remind myself not to linger on the blends too long if I've been playing more house recently.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Alternatively warp your old Disco tracks in Ableton :v:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Is there a decent guide to effects and when to use them out there?
http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2011/03/beginners-guide-to-dj-effects/
Ideally it would be significantly more in depth than this.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Turn the wet/dry up to where you can just about hear the effect, then turn it down a bit.

Alternatively just pretend to twiddle knobs like a spastic in time to the effects on the track.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Sharzak posted:

Is there a decent guide to effects and when to use them out there?
http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2011/03/beginners-guide-to-dj-effects/
Ideally it would be significantly more in depth than this.

I usually just experiment. Maybe look up specific effects if you're having trouble finding it's purpose.

Delay is a nice way to add a bit of energy and I find flanger can be cool during a disco chorus.

I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the "echo out" effect from the Wolf Pack Serato FX Expansion.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Just use the DJM900 flanger at 100% all the time

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I put this Usher remix up on Soundcloud the other day.. Currently it has more downloads than plays, which is a little odd.

https://soundcloud.com/jqam/usher-i-dont-mind-jqam-money-trap-mix

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So I recently picked up a Numark TTX and I'm learning to scratch. Any good resources out there for practice routines/techniques? I've kind of been aimlessly learning stabs and baby scratches and whatnot but I'd like more of a structured lesson.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I don't know about structured lessons but you should start out working the fader with your dominant hand. Most people use their dominant hand on the record but working the fader is ultimately more important, and unless you're relatively ambidextrous it'll be difficult for you to master complex techniques later on. My left hand coordination blows and I learned left-hand-fader right-hand-record like 10 years ago, I've never really been able to do anything impressive because I just don't have that level of speed and coordination in my left hand.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Poizen Jam posted:

So I recently picked up a Numark TTX and I'm learning to scratch. Any good resources out there for practice routines/techniques? I've kind of been aimlessly learning stabs and baby scratches and whatnot but I'd like more of a structured lesson.

Maybe ask the people over at digitalvertigo.co.uk, I think they can point you in the right direction, lots of scratch "nerds" over there

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Poizen Jam posted:

The qbert DIY lessons are all on YouTube afaik

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
New NI Traktor controller, the Kontrol D2. It's the deck controls of the S8 minus the mixer. I like the larger pads but I don't think it will replace my X1 unless it can play tracks without a laptop (which I doubt).

http://www.djtechtools.com/2015/03/26/new-traktor-kontrol-deck-controller-spotted-at-wmc/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

All this poo poo keeps coming out with all sorts of crazy rear end bells and whistles. I'm still real content with spinning vinyl, all I really want is a decent dub siren.