Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
hey canon bros can i get some input on a new lens?

i want something long, L series and i'll be buying new for a 5dIII

i got that EF 75-300mm lens free when I bought my 500D ages ago, and i had a lot of fun with it at full zoom, despite it being a rattly piece of poo poo otherwise.

I'm looking for a similar experience with better quality on my 5D. There seems to be a lot of lenses in the 200mm range, but I'm worried I'll miss the extra 100mm or more when im taking Cool Moon Pics or whatever. I don't shoot for a living or have any really specific plans for how I want to use these yet.

So my shortlist has come down to ;

Canon EF 70-300mm F4-5.6L IS
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
and mayyyybe
Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 L IS USM - if I can get some change from $3k

any input about what these things are like to live with? Do you find the higher f-stop a big disadvantage on the cheaper lenses? I've already got the 24-105mm, should I go big or go home? Anything else I'm not thinking of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
^ I'd get the new 100-400. It's supposed to be amazeballs.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
The 70-300L is light and super-fun. Just be aware it can't take Canon teleconverters.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Speaking of which, I'd sort of like to have a travel tele (plus shooting the occasional animal, flying birds would be nice but are not required :v:) that's substantially lighter than a 70-200/2.8 IS. The 70-300 DO seems to fit the bill, but I've heard bad things about the 70-300 DO's IS and image quality wide open. In addition, is its autofocus reasonably fast? Should I get the DO or save up for the L?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The 70-200L f/2.8 IS II is probably the best all-purpose telephoto zoom that Canon has so I'd recommend that. But if you need the extra reach and can afford it, the new 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II is pretty drat fantastic.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

TheAngryDrunk posted:

^ I'd get the new 100-400. It's supposed to be amazeballs.

Dunno how I missed this one, looks rad

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

blowfish posted:

Speaking of which, I'd sort of like to have a travel tele (plus shooting the occasional animal, flying birds would be nice but are not required :v:) that's substantially lighter than a 70-200/2.8 IS. The 70-300 DO seems to fit the bill, but I've heard bad things about the 70-300 DO's IS and image quality wide open. In addition, is its autofocus reasonably fast? Should I get the DO or save up for the L?

The DO has decent IQ, but nothing to the level of the L. It is a good bit smaller though, and it's not white, so it's a very discreet lens. The resolution is pretty good @ 300mm wide open, but it does need to be stopped to f/8 for max quality. If you're using smaller sized images or prints, it holds up fine. The biggest issue with it is the lack of contrast, especially when you have any kind of stray light entering the lens - it needs to be hooded/shielded , and it benefits greatly from some clarity slider/large radius USM in post. The IS works fine - I have no problem getting the majority of shots sharp @ 3 stops down (1/40) unlike the 100-400 MK1 which I could barely hit 50% @ 2 stops down with. Someone with steadier hands than me would probably do much better. AF is very quick.

The DO btw, is NOT worth what Canon wants for it new, that is one thing for certain. The resale value reflects this - do not buy this lens new if you want it, you can get it used for 600$ or so if you're patient. At that price point the advantages make it worth it vs the tradeoffs IMO.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

maxe posted:

and mayyyybe
In your position I'd be buying the new 100-400. If budget is a concern then I'd be buying the old 100-400.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

It got snapped up really fast, but there was a Canon refurb 300/2.8ii up for $4.4k. :stare:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bubbacub posted:

It got snapped up really fast, but there was a Canon refurb 300/2.8ii up for $4.4k. :stare:
Yep I got the alert about 30 minutes ago and it was gone before I could click the link.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

alkanphel posted:

The 70-200L f/2.8 IS II is probably the best all-purpose telephoto zoom that Canon has so I'd recommend that. But if you need the extra reach and can afford it, the new 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II is pretty drat fantastic.

My vote is for the 70-200 2.8 IS II with the Canon 2x III extender. Best of both worlds.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Can someone please explain sensor crop to me? I keep seeing references to full sensor cameras. What is the difference between a full sensor and not if the same picture was taken everything being the same but the sensor?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Imagine light passing through the lens and hitting the sensor. On a larger full frame sensor, there's more surface area for the light to hit. On a cropped sensor, the edges of the image would be "cut off", giving a cropped image that appears more zoomed in.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Can someone please explain sensor crop to me? I keep seeing references to full sensor cameras. What is the difference between a full sensor and not if the same picture was taken everything being the same but the sensor?

Imagine a photo, then crop 60% of it away, and add a little bit more noise. That's it.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Haggins posted:

My vote is for the 70-200 2.8 IS II with the Canon 2x III extender. Best of both worlds.

This is what I would do as well.The 70-200 2.8 IS II takes the 2x III extender so well -- you end up with both a 70-200 2.8 and a 140-400 5.6. I'm not sure, but I imagine AF speed might be a bit slower with the extender on. Still, having a 70-200 2.8 when you want it is pretty awesome. You'll never have that in a 100-400 that starts at f/4.5.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Haggins posted:

This is what I have for my 5DIII and it definitely seems like a good setup.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I guess it depends on what you're shooting. For anything wildlife I'd rather have a 100-400 that can go to 560. The 70-200 is a beautiful lens though if that's your primary shooting range. I just put a 2x on my 70-200 to see how bad AF is affected, and while it hunts forever in low light it snapped to focus instantly as soon as I tried in a better lit environment.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Is the 8.0MP APS-C CMOS Sensor a full frame? I'm trying to figure out what I have. It's a Rebel T5i.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
APS-C is a crop sensor. 1.6x crop factor.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Thoogsby posted:

APS-C is a crop sensor. 1.6x crop factor.

Thanks!

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
If you paid less than $1000 for your camera body, you might have a crop sensor.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

I guess it depends on what you're shooting. For anything wildlife I'd rather have a 100-400 that can go to 560. The 70-200 is a beautiful lens though if that's your primary shooting range. I just put a 2x on my 70-200 to see how bad AF is affected, and while it hunts forever in low light it snapped to focus instantly as soon as I tried in a better lit environment.

Is it a Canon 2x and if so, it's a mark III? I've read that the II wasn't all that great but the III is good.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Haggins posted:

Is it a Canon 2x and if so, it's a mark III? I've read that the II wasn't all that great but the III is good.
Yeah, Canon 2x version 3.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

If you paid less than $1000 for your camera body, you might have a crop sensor.

For some reason when I read this, it sounded like a Jeff Foxworthy "you might be a redneck joke and now I can't not read it in his voice.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
That was my intention!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

maxe posted:

hey canon bros can i get some input on a new lens?

i want something long, L series and i'll be buying new for a 5dIII

i got that EF 75-300mm lens free when I bought my 500D ages ago, and i had a lot of fun with it at full zoom, despite it being a rattly piece of poo poo otherwise.

I'm looking for a similar experience with better quality on my 5D. There seems to be a lot of lenses in the 200mm range, but I'm worried I'll miss the extra 100mm or more when im taking Cool Moon Pics or whatever. I don't shoot for a living or have any really specific plans for how I want to use these yet.

and mayyyybe

any input about what these things are like to live with? Do you find the higher f-stop a big disadvantage on the cheaper lenses? I've already got the 24-105mm, should I go big or go home? Anything else I'm not thinking of?

Sigma 120-300 2.8. The last two versions are really good. Avoid version one.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

timrenzi574 posted:

Imagine a photo, then crop 60% of it away, and add a little bit more noise. That's it.

This, except don't add noise. Don't do anything except crop some of it away.

(Crop sensors often have more noise than full frame sensors because they usually have physically smaller pixels. If you took a full frame sensor and chopped it into a smaller size, the noise would be identical.)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'm heading to NY this week and I want to get a nice lens for my T2i.

I currently have:
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens (the kit lens)
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens (The Nifty Fifty).

I love the 50mm, but with the crop frame it's a little too close indoors; I've been toying with the idea of getting a good 35mm and I've narrowed it down to one of these:
Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM

However, earlier today I was discussing this with a friend and he suggested I just trade in the kit lens and get the Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 as an "all rounder" to replace it.

I'm having a bit of problem making the decision because I haven't really decided on something in particular I want to shoot, I just shoot what strikes my fancy (though I do have a tendency to use shallow DoF for close up pictures), so having a fixed length with a large aperture seemed like a good idea, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Are you set on making that lens your first 'big purchase' glass? The new Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 pancake is a pretty outstanding value at $150, in my opinion, and it might leave you enough left over to grab another midrange lens, even.

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008
I've always heard the VC version has issues and you should get the non-VC version instead: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423714-REG/Tamron_AF016C700_17_50mm_f_2_8_XR_Di.html/prm/alsVwDtl

I have the non-VC version and it's produced very good images for me, and with 2.8 across the whole focal range I've yet to use my kit lens since I bought the Tamron. Absolutely love the thing. With the money you save you can also buy Canon's 24mm pancake lens (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=11081812&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi) for those indoor shots.

Add the Canon 10-18mm (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=11051476&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi) and 55-250 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/543923-USA/Canon_2044B002AA_EF_S_55_250mm_f_4_5_6_IS.html) and you have a good setup that can cover almost any type of shot for less then $1000. It's not as fast as a 1.4 but dropping $900 on one lens is a lot if you aren't sure what kind of photos you want to take. There are cheaper alternatives out there

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Any reason you aren't considering the Canon 28mm f/1.8?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Infinite Karma posted:

Are you set on making that lens your first 'big purchase' glass?

No, not really. I was a bit enamored with the idea of going "simple" with the fixed length (and have a noob f/1.4 fixation), but it was mostly lack of further research to be honest.

TonySnow posted:

I've always heard the VC version has issues and you should get the non-VC version instead: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423714-REG/Tamron_AF016C700_17_50mm_f_2_8_XR_Di.html/prm/alsVwDtl

I have the non-VC version and it's produced very good images for me, and with 2.8 across the whole focal range I've yet to use my kit lens since I bought the Tamron. Absolutely love the thing. With the money you save you can also buy Canon's 24mm pancake lens (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=11081812&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi) for those indoor shots.

Add the Canon 10-18mm (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=11051476&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi) and 55-250 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/543923-USA/Canon_2044B002AA_EF_S_55_250mm_f_4_5_6_IS.html) and you have a good setup that can cover almost any type of shot for less then $1000. It's not as fast as a 1.4 but dropping $900 on one lens is a lot if you aren't sure what kind of photos you want to take. There are cheaper alternatives out there

Wouldn't the pancake be redundant if I got the Tamron? They have the same aperture, unless you meant the size of the lens itself as a factor.

I think the non-vc version of the Tamron and that Canon 55-250 may be a winning combination.

/edit:

Thoogsby posted:

Any reason you aren't considering the Canon 28mm f/1.8?

I'm an idiot and didn't know it existed? I do think I'd go for the Tamron in that case, but thanks for bringing it up, it's good to have options.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 23, 2015

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008
Pancake lens is handy to have because it weighs nothing and isn't this big obtrusive tube sticking off your camera. Something you can throw on your camera and just go with. For $150 you can't go wrong. It's not necessary, but nice to have, and why not? $150 is pennies in the camera world. If you only got two, I would get the Tamron and the 55-250 or the Tamron and 10-18, then add the 24mm later. If you're doing NY the city, the 10-18mm would be nice to get wide street shots or wide indoor shots. I have one and it's money for landscapes and close ups of big stuff.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Of the lenses originally listed, get the Sigma 18-35mm, assuming you're not planning to suddenly splurge on a FF body as well. I have the 35/1.4 and wish I had the 18-35mm instead, as someone who likely won't have a FF body any time soon. The quality is supposedly roughly the same, and I rarely find the need for the extra aperture, certainly no more than I'd want the extra wideness.

With the nifty fifty and the Sigma you cover roughly the same range as the tamron, and a bag that can fit two non-pancake lenses isn't much more than a camera with one zoom lens.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
If you can afford it, the Sigma is amazing. Almost never left my camera when I had a crop body. Heavier and bigger than the primes are, but it is incredibly sharp and replaces 2 or 3 f/1.8 primes easily.

One of these days I'll get around to taking pictures of mine and trying to sell it again.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

TonySnow posted:

Pancake lens is handy to have because it weighs nothing and isn't this big obtrusive tube sticking off your camera. If you only got two, I would get the Tamron and the 55-250 or the Tamron and 10-18, then add the 24mm later. If you're doing NY the city, the 10-18mm would be nice to get wide street shots or wide indoor shots. I have one and it's money for landscapes and close ups of big stuff.

That sounds reasonable. I actually have an old Sigma 80-200 with a Nikon mount that was my dad's; I recently got an adapter ring but never got around to trying it out with my camera, I'll see if I can hop to my mom's today and give it a try.

annapacketstormaya posted:

Of the lenses originally listed, get the Sigma 18-35mm, assuming you're not planning to suddenly splurge on a FF body as well. I have the 35/1.4 and wish I had the 18-35mm instead, as someone who likely won't have a FF body any time soon. The quality is supposedly roughly the same, and I rarely find the need for the extra aperture, certainly no more than I'd want the extra wideness.

With the nifty fifty and the Sigma you cover roughly the same range as the tamron, and a bag that can fit two non-pancake lenses isn't much more than a camera with one zoom lens.
No, I'm planning on keeping the body for a while longer at least. I'll try out that lens I mentioned above, see how that goes and see what I do about these.

Shellman posted:

If you can afford it, the Sigma is amazing.
Which one, the 18-35 or the fixed 35? I can afford either; it stretches my budget but it was my original plan, but I'm thinking about going a bit more versatile; as TonySnow mentioned, for that money I can get the Tamron and a 10-18. It's not quite the same, but until I get a bit more focused on my subject it may be a better option.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

Which one, the 18-35 or the fixed 35? I can afford either; it stretches my budget but it was my original plan, but I'm thinking about going a bit more versatile; as TonySnow mentioned, for that money I can get the Tamron and a 10-18. It's not quite the same, but until I get a bit more focused on my subject it may be a better option.

The 18-35. The Canon 10-18 is an awesome ultra wide though, and goons swear by that tamron.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Not to pimp too hard, but if you end up interested in the Tamron I have one up in the buy/sell thread, still. It's a great lens in good shape, I just moved to a smaller setup and don't carry my SLR any more.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=206#post439569261

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Looks the like the Rebel is Canon's best camera:

http://petapixel.com/2015/02/23/this-is-how-the-home-shopping-network-tried-to-sell-the-canon-rebel-t3i-back-in-2012/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

If you order this, THIS IS A TOTAL SECRET, you can get, the autograph, of the Blue Bomber himself, PETE HARSHNISH