Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

what actual problem do smart whatevers theoretically solve? the reasons I've heard seem too absurd even for a TV infomercial "there has to be a better way!" segment.

collecting customer data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

zen death robot posted:

i tried literally doing this and nothing happened so i think ur full of poo poo pal

u gotta do it in notepad

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
siri is dumb

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

dun dun dun
dun DUN dun
:effort:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo4GeSil9fU

scroogle...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
am i missing something, or does it not have a flash

or is that sold separately too

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

transfer jet

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mister Macys posted:

am i missing something, or does it not have a flash

or is that sold separately too
13 seems to have one

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

PleasureKevin posted:

transfer jet

pleasure kevin kindly remit to me what u reported smythe 4 thx

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

theadder posted:

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

everyone but america is gonna bust open android

http://tech.eu/news/yandex-google-antitrust-battle-russia/

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

fart simpson posted:

what is the mass of one cup of sugar?

ughhh...

tbf, "hey google" just does a google search.

but the only place that would have that question as written irl would be a physics exam

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

but the only place that would have that question as written irl would be a physics exam
hahaha do you even physics

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

cremnob posted:

everyone but america is gonna bust open android

http://tech.eu/news/yandex-google-antitrust-battle-russia/
while i understand this is a cremnob post i do have to wonder how the euros and russia expect to get around the fact that anyone can choose to use android without google services they just lose access to... um, google services

i dont see how its anticompetitive for google to say that if you want to sell devices with their poo poo that you cant also sell devices that directly compete with them at the same time

ofc this is all a means for the eu to extract money from american corporations so it has no basis in reality but still

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LastInLine posted:

while i understand this is a cremnob post i do have to wonder how the euros and russia expect to get around the fact that anyone can choose to use android without google services they just lose access to... um, google services

because google has publicly said "the only way we're really updating android these days is through google services"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

computer parts posted:

because google has publicly said "the only way we're really updating android these days is through google services"
no the only way theyre updating the app services and apis is via google services which you dont need if you forked android because you dont have access to the play store

unless ofc youre saying that what those encouraging antitrust proceedings want is access to the google ecosystem of apps without having to pay google or use their services which is indeed what they want to do

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

LastInLine posted:

ofc this is all a means for the eu to extract money from american corporations so it has no basis in reality but still

nothing wrong with this

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Forums Terrorist posted:

nothing wrong with this
lol what was the last useful thing invented by a european?

have they invented or created anything of any significance since the 19th century?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

why would you invent poo poo like a prole, that's what jews and darkies are for

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

LastInLine posted:

i dont see how its anticompetitive for google to say that if you want to sell devices with their poo poo that you cant also sell devices that directly compete with them at the same time

If you don't see how saying "if you wanna put a competing search engine on your Android then you're going to be selling an Android without apps" might be a tad monopolistic...

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I get "The time in Wellington, New Zealand is 3:50:" ...

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

same

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

LastInLine posted:

lol what was the last useful thing invented by a european?

have they invented or created anything of any significance since the 19th century?

they invented the higgs boson a couple of years ago

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

I wouldn't mind a washer/dryer that pinged me when it was done though

yeah the timer on the microwave beeps when it hits 0:00

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

My washer dryer play a happy song when they're done :3:

e like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo5kiQ2nQFg

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 19, 2015

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zen death robot posted:

They could always partner up with Amazon, who has a pretty established Android app marketplace.

which raises another point: google demands that you not only not release a non-approved android device under your own brand, but you can't even make one for someone else.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

qirex posted:

I still think android fridges are the worst internt of things things to date

I wouldn't mind a washer/dryer that pinged me when it was done though

i can turn a switch on my dryer so it buzzes when it finishes. my washer doesn't do that but then it was literally The Cheapest Washer we could find.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

i can turn a switch on my dryer so it buzzes when it finishes. my washer doesn't do that but then it was literally The Cheapest Washer we could find.

wouldn't that be a bucket

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

duTrieux. posted:

wouldn't that be a bucket

sorry i should have said washing machine, not washer.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

apologize for nothing, die with no regrets

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the only reason i would want a washer with a smartphone app is so that i could upload my own cycle alert tones.

just have the thing start screaming when the laundry is done

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mister Macys posted:

what do you expect from a company who's idea of making a browser was literally pressing ctrl-c + ctrl-v after seeing Opera

but chrome doesn't have any of opera's features?

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

LastInLine posted:

all ur questions are answered here http://www.benedelman.org/publications/google-tying-2014-05-12.pdf

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=80150
Week numbers missing from calendar app after lollipop update.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

but chrome doesn't have any of opera's features?

and chome has features that aren't just opera rip-offs, like "letting extensions steal global shortcut keys with no UI saying it's being done" and "multiple profile support with UI that was once good but keeps getting worse to patch over how bad google web properties with multiple profiles"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
greg krh is a cool linux guy so it makes me sad he's wasting time with this :pcgaming: PROJECT ARA :pcgaming: bullshit

then again he's taking money from the ballpit's pockets so i can't be too mad

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

theadder posted:

racial and homophobic slurs

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Cocoa Crispies posted:

and chome has features that aren't just opera rip-offs, like "letting extensions steal global shortcut keys with no UI saying it's being done" and "multiple profile support with UI that was once good but keeps getting worse to patch over how bad google web properties with multiple profiles"
Wait what happened with the profile support?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i think google recaptcha is down

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/recaptcha/xXusvv0JF94

tried to give a place money for a thing but couldn't!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

* not in Chorme, wontfix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

PleasureKevin posted:

racial and homophobic slurs

weird op

• Locked thread