Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I do have to agree, during the last 3 seasons, they've had the character's lives play out in an absurdly perfect way to the point where it's become tiresome and boring. I'm still enjoying this season, but its another reason I'm glad its a half-season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

This whole season has been some of the worst television I've willfully subjected myself to in as long as I can remember. I hate to be so negative, but I think at this point they have just completely forgotten what made the show good in the first place and it's rarely funny and sappy as hell. They should have ended it 2 years ago. Good riddance.

In a world where Dexter exists, there is no way this is anything close to the worst final season of a TV show.

I actually agree with people who think that the last two seasons of P&R became increasingly poorly done, but I've been liking the finale season so far since, between it being the final and the time jump, it's actually been able to have things happen and resolve things in ways that really stand in contrast to how much wheel-spinning and resetting in seasons 5-6 (that being said, I guess they kind of forgot about Ben running for Congress?) It's like in season 7 of The Office when, with Steve Carell leaving, they were actually able to do satisfying things with Michael and show him growing.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
"I am upset by the fact that fictional characters on a TV show all have happy endings right before it ends. Happy endings never happen in the medium of story telling and doing them is just flat out boring. Why don't they have Garry get hit by a train while picking up a Jellybean? Why not have Leslie get fired and blacklisted from every government job in the country because she went psycho? Why not make Ben mayor again and then have him fail like Icetown only to commit suicide later in the episode? This is bullshit. I didn't watch this show for 7 years just to find out that everything gets tied up with a nice little bow on a gift of happiness and goals being met." - Something Awful Goons

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Windows 98 posted:

"I am upset by the fact that fictional characters on a TV show all have happy endings right before it ends. Happy endings never happen in the medium of story telling and doing them is just flat out boring. Why don't they have Garry get hit by a train while picking up a Jellybean? Why not have Leslie get fired and blacklisted from every government job in the country because she went psycho? Why not make Ben mayor again and then have him fail like Icetown only to commit suicide later in the episode? This is bullshit. I didn't watch this show for 7 years just to find out that everything gets tied up with a nice little bow on a gift of happiness and goals being met." - Something Awful Goons

I thought this has generally been a pretty great season with just a few small issues, but please do go on

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
It's funny because people have also talked about how the show is too dark or mean now. Can't please everyone. I'll admit seasons 5-7 haven't been as strong as 2-4 but they're still really good. Compare this show to where season 7 Office was or pretty much anything else that gets this far in. It's been fun to see people's dreams and wishes fulfilled. I like these characters, I want them to live happily ever after.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Hey it's possible the next episode will be this show's "Ozymandias"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Hey it's possible the next episode will be this show's "Ozymandias"

Gerry revealed to be the King of Kings.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Tom's plotline has been pretty terribly handled this season

Also using that gif because someone is giving you some bad feels about a TV show is some next level irony

It's pretty fitting when someone is posting about a show they clearly have not been enjoying for some time. Hate-watching/hate-posting are the most bizarre things ever. If someone thinks the show hasn't been good in two years, then why the hell are they watching it for the next two years. Why subject yourself to 30 mintues a week of un-enjoyment?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Windows 98 posted:

Look at what a blubbering crybaby you are about some people being mildly critical of a teevee show.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Windows 98 posted:

That's not what I'm saying at all. Nothing wrong with happy tied up endings, its just that its been extremely heavy handed and each character has just conveniently had these amazing opportunities just dropped in their lap, not just once or twice, but constantly through seasons 5-7. In comparison, the Office characters had realistic setbacks and hardships and their final situations were more down to earth outcomes, not "every single character becomes a super mega success."

Again, not saying I hate the show now, I'm still enjoying it. It's just a minor critique / personal preference. Also i think it could have been solved by having seasons 5 and 6 shorter and tighter.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NESguerilla posted:

I couldn't agree with this more. They seem to be intent on giving everyone a fairy tale ending no matter how irrelevant it is. They are just shoehorning all of these storylines in out of nowhere.

This whole season has been some of the worst television I've willfully subjected myself to in as long as I can remember. I hate to be so negative, but I think at this point they have just completely forgotten what made the show good in the first place and it's rarely funny and sappy as hell. They should have ended it 2 years ago. Good riddance.

hahaha you suck at life

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Getting mad that the storylines in a sitcom, taken together, are too implausibly positive is such an absurdly petty thing. One or two of these things, sure, but this just defies all odds!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just because I think think last season has been really poor doesn't mean I want to see all of the characters die or end up destitute. It's generally an upbeat show so I'd like to see a happy ending for everyone, but I just think it's been a really bad season and the writing has become terrible.

El Tortuga posted:

It's pretty fitting when someone is posting about a show they clearly have not been enjoying for some time. Hate-watching/hate-posting are the most bizarre things ever. If someone thinks the show hasn't been good in two years, then why the hell are they watching it for the next two years. Why subject yourself to 30 mintues a week of un-enjoyment?

I'm not hate watching it. I've been watching the show for years and want to see how it ends, even if I think it's taken a massive quality nose dive lately. How many people here including yourself aren't guilty of doing that sometimes? I also don't think it's been terrible for two years, it was just slowly degrading over 2 years, until it hit the bottom of the barrel somewhere in season 6 that I can't put my finger on. For the last year or so, I really do think it's just become a second rate parody of itself.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I've enjoyed this past season, just with the exception of Tom's storyline.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Killed by a younger, stronger business.

It's because Tom and Jean-Ralphio blew threw all their money.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

smashpro1 posted:

It's not the first startup Detlef Schrempf has tanked and it won't be the last.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

smashpro1 posted:

I was talking about Rent-a-Swag.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Also using that gif because someone is giving you some bad feels about a TV show is some next level irony

The only "feel" that I got from that post was the feeling that I had an opportunity to use that gif, from this very show and thread. I don't really care if anyone dislikes this season.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Harris Wittels (Played Harris in Animal Control and he was a Producer on the show) just died. OD'd at his home, found him on the couch :(

He was loving 30 years old.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh god that sucks so much :( I knew he had his demons but that's loving horrible.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

suddenlyissoon posted:

Harris Wittels (Played Harris in Animal Control and he was a Producer on the show) just died. OD'd at his home, found him on the couch :(

That is hosed up.

http://www.thewrap.com/harris-wittels-parks-and-recreation-ep-dead-from-apparent-drug-overdose-at-30/

RIP Humblebrag

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 20, 2015

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
He was part of my favourite Comedy Bang Bang. It sucks that he died so young.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

suddenlyissoon posted:

I just saw this. So awful - he was such a great comedic talent. :(

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Here's a compilation of the animal control guys.

This really sucks.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

What the gently caress :(
I was just listening to the third Scott/Peretti/Wittels Comedy Bang Bang on my way into work... now I'm about to head home, it's going to be weird listening to the second half of it :/

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
This thread title as well as the one of the CBB thread are very appropriate. :(

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
It was posted about a month back but this: http://www.nerdist.com/pepisode/you-made-it-weird-236-harris-wittels-returns/

It really explains a lot and it's so sad to hear he ended up relapsing and ODing. He seemed like a genuinely nice person :(

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Boywhiz88 posted:

It was posted about a month back but this: http://www.nerdist.com/pepisode/you-made-it-weird-236-harris-wittels-returns/

It really explains a lot and it's so sad to hear he ended up relapsing and ODing. He seemed like a genuinely nice person :(

Yeah, this was heartbreaking to listen to then and now it's devastating to think about it again. Dude just could not stop taking an unhealthy amount of drugs.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If you want a list of the episodes he's also credited as a writer for:

quote:

- Ron & Jammy (2015) ... (written by)
- Prom (2014) ... (written by)
- Filibuster (2013) ... (written by)
- Women in Garbage (2013) ... (written by)
- Leslie vs. April (2012) ... (written by)
- Dave Returns (2012) ... (written by)
- The Treaty (2011) ... (written by)
- Road Trip (2011) ... (written by)
- Media Blitz (2011) ... (written by)
- 94 Meetings (2010) ... (written by)
- Tom's Divorce (2009) ... (written by)
- Practice Date (2009) ... (written by)

Spoiler, they're like, some of the best ones. I'm not the only one about to chain watch these right?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

When they did the first flash to the mayor in the casket I thought, "Hey it's Brian Doyle-Murray! Awesome!" Then a couple seconds later I got even more excited!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Tokelau All Star posted:

When they did the first flash to the mayor in the casket I thought, "Hey it's Brian Doyle-Murray! Awesome!" Then a couple seconds later I got even more excited!

I wish he'd be in more things. I can't get enough of the guy.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Windows 98 posted:

Why not have Andy beat a member of the Johnny Karate audience with a shovel and then kill Ann in a hit-and-run accident, spend the entire season alienating everybody on the show in the lead-up to his trial, and then end with him not being convicted but still being a broken and lonely shell of a human being.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Oddly enough this is the first time I've ever seen the resemblance. I've seen Caddyshack and Groundhog Day tons of times and didn't even register that they were brothers for a long time.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

I've been really enjoying this season, especially after how lackluster last season was (not bad but definitely below where the show used to be.) But jeez the Johnny Karate episode really was pretty horrible aside from a few jokes. Which is a shame really since it was one of the episodes I was most looking forward to, given how enjoyable Andy's Johnny Karate shenanigans were before, like with the kid ninjas. Like I feel like the entire cast having parts in the show just felt really shoehorned in particular, like I thought this was Andy's real success and I don't think they needed to be directly involved in it. And also I feel like he should have been portrayed with more competence in the job but idk. Really this has been the only bad episode of the season so that's good.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Andy would totally give his friends parts on his show, though.

I feel like a lot of stars need to be managed to some degree or another; rolling with Andy being enthusiastically dumb has to rank above having to pry a coke-engorged Belushi out of a bathroom in time for a live performance.

I liked that one more than I thought I would after I realized they were going whole hog into the format for the entire episode.

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

Tokelau All Star posted:

Oddly enough this is the first time I've ever seen the resemblance. I've seen Caddyshack and Groundhog Day tons of times and didn't even register that they were brothers for a long time.

He's got two more brothers who are actors too. :ssh:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Windows 98 posted:

Let me tell you about the nerds that wanted Flynn to stay dead at the end of Tangled

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bippie Mishap posted:

He's got two more brothers who are actors too. :ssh:

And all four of them had their own show on Comedy Central a long time ago:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307840/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Not on DVD, of course.

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe
This show will have to end with Leslie saving Pawnee from a nuclear crisis created by Garry between Pawnee and Eagleton to make everybody happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I really want the final episode to be another time skip, and it's an hour long adventure where President Knope has to solve a murder on a train.

• Locked thread