Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Why the gently caress does would anyone care that coriolis started playing again lmao.

Im laughing so hard at that thread.

Also I'm proud of all the people who knew about the bug and never used it to kill raid bosses :patriot:.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Ha, I miss running raids this way. 6 man a T2 raid with poorly geared people? Why not!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So Purifier healing seems pretty easy.

I have a macro set up that shields the mousoever target, then falls through to Healing Breath and then Healing Spark for spamming. Then a mouseover macro for Ward of Flame when I can't shield because of debuffs, a Latent Blaze macro that uses my crit/instacast cooldowns with it, and a mouseover battle rez macro.

Oh and a Fire Wall macro because loldps.

Also 40 Defiler/36 Cabalist/0 Justicar is NUTS for soloing/farming. I mean absolutely ridiculous. Not that great in groups because it relies on gathering all the mobs around your Beacon, but if I'm just out questing I can basically pull every mob within leash range and they just kind of all blow up in a neat convenien-to-loot circle around my Beacon. :getin:

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Now that it's been a couple of months, how did the AH changes shape out in the end? Did killing the artifact market kill getting plat for new players, or has the economy bounced back?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mormon Star Wars posted:

killing the artifact market

Did they lower (like, severely lower) the artifact spawn rate? I seem to remember finding them laying around in the world a LOT more often when I played my one box-month at around release.

I don't know how my income compares to the average, but I find that a good chunk of the money I make is from flipping crafting materials and dimension items I get from the minion system; artifacts seem rare enough that I have yet to get any duplicates (and the first one gets collected, of course).

e: I have about 42 plat at level 38, and most of the money I spend is on bags, bank bag slots, and roles (2 more so far).

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 13, 2015

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004

hahaha that bug has been in the game since near release. There has been varying ways to activate it (prince hylas/chronicles/etc.), and i'm sure that has been going on for a looong time. We figured out one pretty consistent way of activating it and had a little fun, but by that time most of us had burned out and were quitting anyways.

also hi zoness I hope things are well.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

WarLocke posted:

Did they lower (like, severely lower) the artifact spawn rate? I seem to remember finding them laying around in the world a LOT more often when I played my one box-month at around release.

I don't know how my income compares to the average, but I find that a good chunk of the money I make is from flipping crafting materials and dimension items I get from the minion system; artifacts seem rare enough that I have yet to get any duplicates (and the first one gets collected, of course).

e: I have about 42 plat at level 38, and most of the money I spend is on bags, bank bag slots, and roles (2 more so far).

Dunno about lowering the artifact spawn rate. I'm referring to the scaling fees that pretty much priced rare artifacts out of the market, because you could end up losing money bigtime if a rare artifact had to be relisted. Used to be that you could have a list of rare artifacts up for a week or two and get enough plat for a REX. Are they still running at 900-1300p?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

vandiar posted:

hahaha that bug has been in the game since near release. There has been varying ways to activate it (prince hylas/chronicles/etc.), and i'm sure that has been going on for a looong time. We figured out one pretty consistent way of activating it and had a little fun, but by that time most of us had burned out and were quitting anyways.

hi vandee im playing wow now

check out my character that i accidentally left fishing gear equipped

(realm first ~simdps~ on spec aw yeaaaah)

WarLocke posted:

Also 40 Defiler/36 Cabalist/0 Justicar is NUTS for soloing/farming. I mean absolutely ridiculous. Not that great in groups because it relies on gathering all the mobs around your Beacon, but if I'm just out questing I can basically pull every mob within leash range and they just kind of all blow up in a neat convenien-to-loot circle around my Beacon. :getin:

Yeah man welcome to 2 years and 3 months ago :laffo:

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 13, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god the rift forums are so good right now.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

vandiar posted:

I miss the bug from Conquest where if you got rezzed, PVE mobs would never agro unless you agroed them. Got a few fastest master dungeon runs doing that by running by everything and just whacking the bosses and farmed a whole lot of ore from Ember Isle volcano by ignoring all the elites.

Hi Vandee!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
ITT: a fat bunch of cheaters

I'll have you know I've done two cheaty things ever and both were dev-reported and dev-approved :colbert:.

But I can only claim credit for discovering one of them.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Zoness posted:

Yeah man welcome to 2 years and 3 months ago :laffo:

Hey man I'm slow okay? :saddowns:

e: Do you get loyalty points for box codes, or just stuff you buy from the in-game/Glyph store?

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 14, 2015

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Dunno about lowering the artifact spawn rate. I'm referring to the scaling fees that pretty much priced rare artifacts out of the market, because you could end up losing money bigtime if a rare artifact had to be relisted. Used to be that you could have a list of rare artifacts up for a week or two and get enough plat for a REX. Are they still running at 900-1300p?

Yeah, deposit costs are now a percentage of the buyout price (as far as I can tell), it's not artifacts specifically.

I couldn't tell you about artifact prices, but REX goes for 1100-1250 on my server (Greybriar, I think?).

As for new players, I rolled a brand-new rogue last week, with no input from my other characters. At level 34, I've just broken 100 plat. I'm not sure how that compares to pre-patch; I only play Rift off and on, so I don't really have a sense of continuity.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I didn't break 100 plat until level 60 but that's because I have a wee bit of an artifact buying problem.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah, I end up spending plat as soon as I make it. But for me it's buying bags, bank bag slots, wardrobe slots, and minions.

I've been auctioning off all my dimension items because I don't think I'll be getting into that any time soon with all the other content in the game. Plus my bank has like 6 bags full of crafting materials already.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, I end up spending plat as soon as I make it. But for me it's buying bags, bank bag slots, wardrobe slots, and minions.

I've been auctioning off all my dimension items because I don't think I'll be getting into that any time soon with all the other content in the game. Plus my bank has like 6 bags full of crafting materials already.

Oh man you needed bags? Should've hit me up; I've got Savant Outfitter and can get you some Empyrean Bags (28 slot). I'll be on later tonight (11:30 PM EST) as Ciam; drop me a line.

dovetaile fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 15, 2015

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I just hit 65, bought a bunch of crafted gear and a couple crabnarok boxes, ran an expert where I got carried so fast I thought my computer was going to burst into flames and now I dunno what to do, I get completely obliterated in PVP all of a sudden and it seems like I can't play Oracle in experts because groups expect 3dps.

What happens next?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Speaking of Crabnarok boxes, I have one or two of those. Are they worth opening or are the chances of getting something nice so low I may as well pawn them off on someone for plat?

Also thanks dovetail for the bags, there's never enough storage space for all my crafting poo poo.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
You can get the keys to open them for 2-5p, so it's not terrible if you want to roll the dice. Most likely you'll get a transmog item, some void stones, and dungeon marks. There's a lower chance of getting crappy gear and half decent essences.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Speaking of Crabnarok boxes, I have one or two of those. Are they worth opening or are the chances of getting something nice so low I may as well pawn them off on someone for plat?

Also thanks dovetail for the bags, there's never enough storage space for all my crafting poo poo.

No problem, man! Always happy to help out.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Shalhavet posted:

There's a lower chance of getting crappy gear

I got an orange earring with stats that are roughly identical to a crafted earring, it was pretty underwhelming.

I was really hoping for a weapon, but it would probably be just as good as a crafted weapon so I don't really get it

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I was playing around with a build calculator thing, trying to come up with a Defiler-based support setup for grouping. I ended up with 6 Warden (for Geyser - spammable DPS with a group heal), 9 Justicar (for 4 points in the talent that makes Salvation heal group members, so total coverage of a 5-man) and 61 Defiler (all 4 links plus Foul Growth synergy skills and various other crap, along with Pain Transmission).

It's not really a 'healer' build, but being able to absorb damage on everyone through links, providing some minor aoe healing (and spot healing via cooldowns) while also doing DPS seems like it would be useful? Idunno, I haven't touched anything endgame where efficiency would matter yet.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Yo you should be going 61 shaman 6 warden for that 1s gcd on geyser.

This build is zoness-tested and zoness-approved thats like almost as good as it being ahov-tested and ahov-approved.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Zoness posted:

ahov-tested and ahov-approved.

So I can ignore it then?

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

This boss has a 9 minute enrage timer. Roughraptors is a dev.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Look at those tryhard insoles.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

gotta go fast!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Okay fellas, I want to start playing and, y'know, Join this guild and poo poo. But first, I'd like it if somebody could recommend an easy to learn calling/soul fr someone who has gotten to 100 in WoW and prefers DPS and Tanking.

Siegkrow fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 19, 2015

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Siegkrow posted:

Okay fellas, I want to start playing and, y'know, Join this guild and poo poo. But first, I'd like it if somebody could recommend an easy to learn calling/soul fr someone who has gotten to 100 in WoW and prefers DPS and Tanking.

I recommend rogue. The extra souls you can buy for rogue are a healing soul and a confused hybrid thing (it has flamethrowers though!); you can dps and tank without spending extra money. Riftstalker is the tank soul; all the other free souls aside from bard are dps souls.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I...uhh....Don't have a credit card, so I can't buy the other souls. Besides I tried out rogue in my trial run and didn't quite like it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Play a warrior.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So there is an event going on in Scarwood with daily quests that reward currency to buy the new hoverboard mounts with, if anyone's interested.

AFAICT the event lasts a week, and with dailies giving 10 units of currency each I'm not sure if you can save up the 850 needed in time though.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
If it's anything like the other events, you'll need to do it a few times. They'll bring it back again.

Or get really lucky and find the coolest one as a drop.

rlloyd3
Feb 3, 2012
Just started playing for the first time since...well, since directly after Beta ended. Made a Cleric, having fun so far...Level 9.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

"Mechanical Crucia" :laffo:

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

KaneTW posted:

"Mechanical Crucia" :laffo:

when does mechanical twyl get released?

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Can Leashya get an invite kthx.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Checking this out and man, they've changed a bunch! Can someone toss Oddishh and invite? Thanks! :)

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
I was playing Rift from the launch in spring 2011 for some months and really enjoyed it. I then faced the same problem many others had: the gaming buddies and friends would not decide on a final transition from WoW to Rift, so I quit about 3 years ago.
Recently I started playing WoW (I toke a break from summer '14 to like 1 week ago) again but WoD does not infect me.
Right now I don't care about guild or gaming buddies, I want to level, farm, play some PVP, enjoy crafting, test some different classes, I am not aiming for an "endgame". Just leveleing some chars to the max.

Question A.)
How would the Riftgoons "sell" me on playing Rift again when I am wondering if I play Rift or SWOTR solo.

Nest Question:
When browsing the Rift page I am somehow lost when it comes to the Upgrades and packs.

This is what I got on my Account according to the "Digital Goods and Privilegs".

Promotional Title: Riftwatcher
Collector's Edition Item: Ancient Tartagon mount. Increases Character Speed by 60%.
Collector's Edition Item: Shiny Lil' Trinket. Summons Bogling Wastrel Companion Pet.
Promotional Item: Moneybags
Collector's Edition Item: Collector's Satchel. Increases Starter Bag Capacity to 24 Slots.
Promotional Item: Personal Banker
Promotional Item: Shrouded Sourcestone Rune. Weapon Enchantment - Death.
Promotional Item: RIFT Pre-order Companion Pet Choice: One Per Character.
Promotional Item: Tabard Gift Box
Promotional Item: Spindrel
Ashes of History Edition
River of Souls Event Reward Pack

There are two helluva expensive bundles: Laethys' Fortune Pack and Nightmare Tide: Ultimate Nightmare Edition, each 135 Dollars.

Question B.):
What is the difference between a "pack" and a "edition" right now?

Question C.):
Which would I buy content wise with PVE focus, leveling, fooling around, farming and stuff when
1.) pricetag/money would not be my issue and
2.) I don't like f2p limitations?

Any answers and help is appreciated.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
If you don't like F2P restrictions, stay well away from SWTOR, which is a well-known example of how NOT to do a F2P system. (If you've ever spent money on the game, you only have many restrictions, as opposed to the "what am I supposed to do with only one action bar?" of free players.)

If you have ever spent more than $5 on Rift (and you obviously have), you won't have any restrictions. You can spend ~$15 to be a Patron for a month, which gets you perks, but they're all genuinely bonuses and add-ons; you're not paying for basic functionality. And there are ways to upgrade your account - like, for example, buying more tradeskill slots - but everybody has to do that; there's no difference between F2P, "standard", and Patron there (except that Patrons get a discount in the in-game store).

Typically, as I understand it, "packs" give you a selection of items and boosts, while "editions" are packs that also give you access to content. If you're going to spend $135 no matter what, I'd go with the Ultimate Nightmare Edition, since it'll have a longer effect on your gameplay.

Bottom line: if you really, really love Star Wars (but are okay with playing in Bioware's pet era) and you're willing to look past a tragically-inept F2P system, maybe try SWTOR. Otherwise, give Rift another shot.

• Locked thread