Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

staguar
Aug 29, 2004
I've got a chance to buy a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 for well under NADA value because a friend has one car too many and this is the one he decided to part with.

I'm going to take it to a local mechanic I trust to have it inspected before I fork over any money. Are there any big issues with this model year that I should be aware of going in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Wicaeed posted:

:o details!

http://www.activeshiftdesigns.com/

I met the guy that runs that when I went to the Octane thing in Utah. It's crazy easy to install, but I haven't driven with it much due to a back/hip injury that makes getting in and out of the Focus a real pain.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

So for the FiST owners, have any of you tried to fit a standard 8' by 4' drywall board into it? That's the bulkiest thing I use my dakota for, and I was wondering if I would still be able to move around the occasional piece of drywall if I traded it in.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

SperginMcBadposter posted:

So for the FiST owners, have any of you tried to fit a standard 8' by 4' drywall board into it? That's the bulkiest thing I use my dakota for, and I was wondering if I would still be able to move around the occasional piece of drywall if I traded it in.

I don't even have to have one of these cars to answer this. Hahaha.. no way in hell. I couldn't even begin to fit that in my Focus, let alone a Fiesta.

The rear hatch of the Focus is just over 3' wide, and at the diagonal it's not even quite 4', so you couldn't even start pushing it inside the car. The length from the inside of the hatch to the back of the drivers neck is about 60" max, so an 8' piece of drywall would pretty much touch the steering wheel, if the front seat-backs weren't in the way.

The Fiesta is both narrower, and shorter.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I guess I could bring the drywall saw and cut it into two 4' by 4' squares and find some way to get them inside the car.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I have an Escape, which has a larger rear opening than a Focus or Fiesta, and a 4'x4' piece won't fit through the hatch opening.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
I've been hauling stacks of plywood ripped in half to 8x2 in my Abarth, as well as 3x5 hardibacker at an angle. I just tie the hatch down and take it easy.

The fiesta is a bit bigger so I imagine it would fare better with the same loads.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Also this is a bit more dealer related, but do they take multiple vehicles as a trade-in towards one car? I would be getting rid of both the dakota and the zx2 to free up money for the FiST.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Also this is a bit more dealer related, but do they take multiple vehicles as a trade-in towards one car? I would be getting rid of both the dakota and the zx2 to free up money for the FiST.

Maybe, but you will always do better selling them yourself and using that money toward your purchase.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Except sales tax for the new car. If you buy a $20k car and get $10k for your trade in you're only paying sales tax on $10k instead of $20k. Also when selling a car yourself there is more annoyance, and risk taken on by you.

Tax on $20k is $1250 in my state. Tax on $10k is $625.

Let's say you'll get $2k more for your car if you sell it private party, getting you $12k instead of $10k. You're $750 better off if you sell on your own, but is the time it takes to find a serious buyer, and the risk you take (dealing with possible crazy person, getting sued, etc) worth $750? If you only get $1k more with private party, selling it that way actually puts you at a $250 disadvantage when compared to trading in.

If you live in a state with no sales tax you're better off selling on your own

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

GutBomb posted:

Except sales tax for the new car. If you buy a $20k car and get $10k for your trade in you're only paying sales tax on $10k instead of $20k. Also when selling a car yourself there is more annoyance, and risk taken on by you.

Tax on $20k is $1250 in my state. Tax on $10k is $625.

Let's say you'll get $2k more for your car if you sell it private party, getting you $12k instead of $10k. You're $750 better off if you sell on your own, but is the time it takes to find a serious buyer, and the risk you take (dealing with possible crazy person, getting sued, etc) worth $750? If you only get $1k more with private party, selling it that way actually puts you at a $250 disadvantage when compared to trading in.

If you live in a state with no sales tax you're better off selling on your own

I just woke up but aren't your numbers off? Wouldn't you be $2k - $625, so roughly $1375 better off? Why are you removing $625 twice?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

That's also assuming you get the same amount from the private party sale as you do from a dealer trade-in, which is definitely not true.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

xsf421 posted:

That's also assuming you get the same amount from the private party sale as you do from a dealer trade-in, which is definitely not true.

Did you read the post? It pretty clearly says you get $2k more for private party. Then it runs through a scenario where you only get $1k more than trade in.a

howling_mad posted:

I just woke up but aren't your numbers off? Wouldn't you be $2k - $625, so roughly $1375 better off? Why are you removing $625 twice?

Yes your numbers are correct. $1375 better off if you were able to get $2k more than trade in by selling private party.

Still not worth it to me. Trade in is simple, happens that day, don't have to deal with craigslist idiots, and don't have to worry about some guy hassling me 2 or 3 months down the line because they didn't understand they were buying a used car. Also if you're still making payments on the car you're trying to trade in that makes it even more complicated.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

It could be argued that you should only buy a car from a dealership because it is more convenient and safer, but I suppose it boils down to what a person is comfortable with and what kind of vehicle you are buying or selling.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Unless it was going to someone I already know, I would rather trade them in at the dealership than deal with craigslist weirdos for two different cars.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
A guy that has been pretty spot on with Focus RS info is saying that it's going to start in the $34k range. So, :toot:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fknlo posted:

A guy that has been pretty spot on with Focus RS info is saying that it's going to start in the $34k range. So, :toot:

So $45k with all the bells and whistles?

How much is a typical lease for a $35k car?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Oh, yeah, something like a '15 or '14 I would totally go to a dealership. Anyone selling a car that new is probably selling for pay-off, which will more than likely be more than what you would pay at the dealership.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

fknlo posted:

I'll just go put a deposit down now, shall I?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

So $45k with all the bells and whistles?

I think the Golf R tops out at just under $40k, so I'd expect similar or less.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

fknlo posted:

The real question is whether or not the RS it's worth $10k over a nicely equipped ST.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

howling_mad posted:

The real question is whether or not the RS it's worth $10k over a nicely equipped ST.

AWD is the main reason the R and RS are so much extra.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

howling_mad posted:

It's 10k over a base ST, not 10k over the ST3, which I think the the RS will share more in common with the interior of the ST3.

At $34k with 320ish HP and that trick AWD setup... it's very tempting. I wonder how loud it will be under normal driving conditions. I want something that's a bit of a sleeper. That can drive on city streets and not call attention.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

GutBomb posted:

Except sales tax for the new car. If you buy a $20k car and get $10k for your trade in you're only paying sales tax on $10k instead of $20k.

This is not true in all states. In California and a handful of other states, your tradein value does not reduce the sales tax basis.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

How does ordering a FiST work? There are 3 ford dealerships here and none of them have the ST trim on the inventory.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

How does ordering a FiST work? There are 3 ford dealerships here and none of them have the ST trim on the inventory.

You walk into a dealer and say "I'd like to order a car".

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I meant more like payment and timewise. Do pay some of the cost upfront? All of it? None of it? I've never ordered a car or even owned a new car.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It's a pretty simple process, you order, agree on price, put a downpayment on it to secure the order, wait couple months for a factory fresh car to arrive, finish paperwork once it arrives, start payments once it's delivered.

Overall not bad.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I tried to order a FiST right when they came out - I specced it all out and the dealer said 6-8 weeks.

2 months later and still no car, so I called and they said it had been built. Another month later and they said there was some kind of "mix up" and they had to reorder the car. Found out they had got it on a shipment and someone just bought it.

I ended up finding a higher spec'ed ST ~200 miles away and just drove down there and had it that day.

gently caress ordering cars from dealers, just go find one on autotrader and buy it. Do a fly and drive if you have to.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Do dealers also add a 'landing fee' or other such charges as an incentive to buy what they have on the lot vs. ordering?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Voltage posted:

gently caress ordering cars from dealers, just go find one on autotrader and buy it. Do a fly and drive if you have to.

Dr.Caligari posted:

Do dealers also add a 'landing fee' or other such charges as an incentive to buy what they have on the lot vs. ordering?

I suppose it depends on the dealer you are working with. The dealer I ordered my Focus from is great from a customer service standpoint. We discussed the car I wanted, agreed on a price, and I gave them a $500 down payment. Per our discussions they were free to look for a dealer-swap car, or order from Ford, whichever got me the exact car I wanted.

Once the car was arranged, they told me the exact day it would arrive, and scheduled an appointment to pick it up. I arrived, inspected/test drove the car, signed all the paperwork and drove it home in less than 30 minutes.

This is the second car that I've gotten through them this way (ordering an exact car), and the third that I've purchased from them (my first purchase was an F-150 from their stock). All of them have been exceptionally easy for me. They didn't even require a deposit on the other car I ordered, as it was just a commuter Fiesta, which they would have had no problem just selling if I had flaked out.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Locator posted:

I suppose it depends on the dealer you are working with. The dealer I ordered my Focus from is great from a customer service standpoint. We discussed the car I wanted, agreed on a price, and I gave them a $500 down payment. Per our discussions they were free to look for a dealer-swap car, or order from Ford, whichever got me the exact car I wanted.

Once the car was arranged, they told me the exact day it would arrive, and scheduled an appointment to pick it up. I arrived, inspected/test drove the car, signed all the paperwork and drove it home in less than 30 minutes.

This is the second car that I've gotten through them this way (ordering an exact car), and the third that I've purchased from them (my first purchase was an F-150 from their stock). All of them have been exceptionally easy for me. They didn't even require a deposit on the other car I ordered, as it was just a commuter Fiesta, which they would have had no problem just selling if I had flaked out.

I've done the exact same with Ford with no problems. They found one for dealer trade and brought it up about a week after we had first spoke.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Locator posted:

Per our discussions they were free to look for a dealer-swap car

This is one thing I'm not a fan of. I don't want some high school dropout loving around in my car for its first couple hundred miles. When I was trying to get an FRS the dealer wanted to do this and I said I'd be fine with it if I picked up the car. They said that wouldn't work so I didn't do it. Ended up changing my mind on what I wanted anyway.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bovril Delight posted:

I've done the exact same with Ford with no problems. They found one for dealer trade and brought it up about a week after we had first spoke.

Just talked to the dealership where I'm likely to get my R. Turns out the 16 models are going to be only manual.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

fknlo posted:

This is one thing I'm not a fan of. I don't want some high school dropout loving around in my car for its first couple hundred miles. When I was trying to get an FRS the dealer wanted to do this and I said I'd be fine with it if I picked up the car. They said that wouldn't work so I didn't do it. Ended up changing my mind on what I wanted anyway.
Agreed on that. If I'm ordering a specific car, I want a literally brand new car. I don't think a couple miles of test drives are going to hurt anything, but if it does I want to know its my fault not some dip poo poo test driver's fault. I'll have already mentally prepared for the wait before I order anyway.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

fknlo posted:

The dealership I deal with is out in rural farmville. All of their drivers are retired people that do it for part time jobs to fill their days. They drive too slow if anything! The youngest person I've ever seen employed at this dealership was a service technician who looked like he was in his early 30's, and for a short period, they had a 20-something woman working the front desk.

Obviously my situation is unique, and I guess I can sort of understand your position with some dealers, but at the same time, any damage they somehow manage to do to the car isn't my problem - if it's damaged on inspection, I'm not taking it, no paperwork has been signed at that point, so the only issue is 'mileage', but that's also something that isn't a big deal to me - I don't care if the car is new with 21 miles, or new with 78 miles - that stuff's all on the paperwork and that point is where my mileage clock starts ticking for warranty and stuff anyway.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

howling_mad posted:

That seems to be the thing people say about these top-end hot hatches. "ITS MORE THAN 10K OVER THE NEXT LEVEL DOWN" and they always compare it to the base trim, rather than the highest end trim options. A Focus RS is going to be a super ST3, not a base ST.

tijag posted:

At $34k with 320ish HP and that trick AWD setup... it's very tempting. I wonder how loud it will be under normal driving conditions. I want something that's a bit of a sleeper. That can drive on city streets and not call attention.

Depends on what a sleeper means to you. The Focus ST and RS are very loud (style wise) to me, but then people are saying they are too reserved so what the hell do I know. The Golf R is going to be more sleeper than an RS sytle-wise, but that's how the last R was vs. its contemporaries. Trade in some hardcore track monster-ness for a more mini-GT car feel and a more sleeper look while still being able to rocket past chumps going slow in the fast lane. I'm sure both the RS and new Golf R are going to be fantastic vehicles, wings and boost gauges go RS and the 'Its just a hatch, honest' and more subtle go the R.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

fknlo posted:

Wow. I'm going to wait with bated breath/wild-eyed panting for confirmation on that one.
:toot: indeed!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Just talked to the dealership where I'm likely to get my R. Turns out the 16 models are going to be only manual.

Interesting. Is it going to be packaged in only 1 option like the '15s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Electric Pigeon posted:

Wow. I'm going to wait with bated breath/wild-eyed panting for confirmation on that one.
:toot: indeed!

This guy has been pretty much dead on regarding everything before it's official, so hopefully he's right again. I'll drive the Focus RS and the Golf R, but I just can't see myself getting another Golf. Pretty much everything else I want is affordable but more than I want to spend or going up in price.