Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

OhYeah posted:

It doesn't look as good as a Raptor, but in no way is it an ugly looking aircraft, at least in my opinion.

I understand the "A" variant is supposed to have only 4 internal hardpoints at the moment, how the hell are they going to fit 6 AMRAAMs there figuring that it's a multirole fighter that is most likely to be carrying bombs anyway? Just look at F-16 and its mission history. Speaking of which, quite a few countries now have dedicated air superiority fighters, what happens if the F-15s stops flying? I mean there aren't enough F-22s and in any case the other countries can only dream of them (Israel, Saudi Arabia, Japan). Are they just going to retire the F-15s at one point and go all multirole fleet?

As DR said, the F-35 has 2 internal bays, with room for a 2000lb class bomb and AIM-120 in each. Block 5 is supposed to allow 2 more AMRAAMs in place of each bomb if the USAF so chooses. The also have 6(IIRC) external hardpoints for when they are bombing weddings in a permissive environment. 4 SDBs can also fit in the space of a 2000lb class weapon, so you could have something like 4 SDB and 4 AMRAAMs once the plane gets to that block in the 2020s.

Should be possible with some finagling, given the space inside:

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I don't think the F-35 is so ugly

:unsmith:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Dead Reckoning posted:

Most countries that operate the F-15 (Israel, Singapore, Korea, Saudi Arabia, I think Japan is the only exception) already operate it as a two seat multi-role strike fighter configured like the F-15E.

Israel has some single-seaters too IIRC.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Scratch Monkey posted:

I don't think the F-35 is so ugly
Agreed. People with bad opinions ITT.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

It even looks like it's held together by duct tape. :allears:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

simplefish posted:

A-10:
http://imgur.com/gallery/0IaEgTC
Comments are what you'd expect

:lol:

quote:

I assume the Air Force is deliberately down voting this.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The F-35 looks a lot better than the X-32 did.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Mortabis posted:

The F-35 looks a lot better than the X-32 did.

x-32 was so happy looking though

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

X-32 is the sort of plane where its pictures would be captioned in comic sans.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

OhYeah posted:

What I want to read now is a neutral and critical overview of the F-35 project at the current stage, plus predictions for the future and will it be able to assert its role among the competition such as Typhoons, Rafaeles, SU-35s, PAK-FAs and whatever that Chinese knock-off was called.

I get it that the F-35 has been a huge clusterfuck so far, but are we close to a breakthrough here? Will this thing ever be able to to do anything that is required of it for a reasonable cost?

I posted (what I think is) a pretty good run-down of the current situation in the thread in AI, cross-posted it a couple pages back in this thread. Predictions aren't really worth much because anyone who truly knows what the F-35 is capable of (and what those other systems are capable of) isn't going to be talking about it on the Something Awful forums (or anywhere else on the internet) and anyway that's kind of missing the point.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I didn't realize this, but apparently Russia made another version of the BMPT that was never produced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk_k9kFbYRs

I just got to ask, what is the point of it when you can outfit newer IFVs to do the same role, with similar level of protection, and probably cheaper to boot?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Back Hack posted:

I didn't realize this, but apparently Russia made another version of the BMPT that was never produced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk_k9kFbYRs

I just got to ask, what is the point of it when you can outfit newer IFVs to do the same role, with similar level of protection, and probably cheaper to boot?

Because the level of protection isn't remotely similar unless the APC is built on a specific, armored shell, which IIRC narrows down that list to to the Marder 2/Puma or the Namer. The Bradley/BMPs of the world are nowhere near the protection of even a T-72.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Mazz posted:

Because the level of protection isn't remotely similar unless the APC is built on a specific, armored shell, which IIRC narrows down that list to to the Marder 2/Puma or the Namer. The Bradley/BMPs of the world are nowhere near the protection of even a T-72.

But I was under the impression it doesn't have the same level of armor protection as a T-72 though, as they decided to built it on a much lighter frame with much more dependence on reactive armor inserts. If that's not the case then nevermind.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 19, 2015

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Cross-post from AI:

quote:

The "R" in AMARG stands for "Regeneration," but it's not often used for that purpose. Last week was an exception to that.

quote:

Colonel Keith Schultz, CO of the 307th Operations Group, 307th Bomb Wing at Barksdale AFB commanded the flight. He has been flying BUFFs since 1980, and is the “last of the Tall-Tail” pilots still actively flying the Stratofortress; “Tall-Tail” being the nickname for early-model B-52s which had much taller tail fins than the G and H models. Schultz has more than 7,000 hours in B-52s. In an article HERE, Colonel Schultz said “After delivering eighteen B-52D and G models to the “Boneyard” over the years, it is about time I get to take one out.”

:stare:

The 307th BW is the Reserve unit at Barksdale...and the last D model went to the Boneyard in the early '80s (most went in the late '70s). Put those two things together and Col Schultz is one crusty son of a bitch. 7,000 hrs in BUFFs...:stare:

(Additional article about it here)

An assignment at the Boneyard would be one of the few jobs I'd stay in to take, no questions asked.

e: Forgot to include the picture of Ghost Rider taking to the sky:

:911:

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 19, 2015

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Those aren't smoke trails. Those are freedom trails. :patriot:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Also, someone has to be keeping track of the records for longest time spent at AMARG before flying again. I think one of NASA's WB-57s was pulled out of celebrity row after a few decades in storage.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I really wish it was in response to Putin's antics, rather than another airframe turning into razorblades.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

I really wish it was in response to Putin's antics, rather than another airframe turning into razorblades.

I was wracking my brain to try and think of what the mishap was that caused them to decommission an airframe. I couldn't remember hearing about anything, and the FY2014 AIB reports aren't up yet on the JAG AIB website.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

StandardVC10 posted:

Israel has some single-seaters too IIRC.

So does Saudi Arabia. South-Korea and Singapore have the Strike Eagle variant.

iyaayas01 posted:

I posted (what I think is) a pretty good run-down of the current situation in the thread in AI, cross-posted it a couple pages back in this thread. Predictions aren't really worth much because anyone who truly knows what the F-35 is capable of (and what those other systems are capable of) isn't going to be talking about it on the Something Awful forums (or anywhere else on the internet) and anyway that's kind of missing the point.

Thanks, I missed that before!

Mazz posted:

As DR said, the F-35 has 2 internal bays, with room for a 2000lb class bomb and AIM-120 in each. Block 5 is supposed to allow 2 more AMRAAMs in place of each bomb if the USAF so chooses. The also have 6(IIRC) external hardpoints for when they are bombing weddings in a permissive environment. 4 SDBs can also fit in the space of a 2000lb class weapon, so you could have something like 4 SDB and 4 AMRAAMs once the plane gets to that block in the 2020s.

Should be possible with some finagling, given the space inside:

OK, I think I got it. So you could use it for air-to-air missions as well, 6 internal AMRAAM Ds sounds pretty bad-rear end especially since the stealth factor is not compromised and you have pretty good combat radius as well.

EDIT: But wait, currently it is possible to replace the 2000lbs bomb with only one AMRAAM instead of two?

OhYeah fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 19, 2015

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Russia is being Russia again

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/feb/19/raf-scrambles-jets-after-russian-bombers-spotted-near-cornwall-coast

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The A400m has now been demonstrated it's dual aircraft refuelling capability.
http://www.airforce-technology.com/news/newsairbus-a400m-tanker-simultaneously-refuels-two-fa-18-jet-fighters-4515502

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But I don't see anything about dead hostages?

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

gfanikf posted:

But I don't see anything about dead hostages?

What do you think they were carrying?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Tremblay posted:

x-32 was so happy looking though

test pilots in the 90's called it the Monica :pervert:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Crossposting from Aeronautical Insanity -

Psion posted:

Space Shuttle Discovery 16 by notpsion, on Flickr

rest of them here. You'll note it's a little lopsided towards Discovery and the SR-71 because I did a much more thorough trip in 2011.

also I just noticed I uploaded several I didn't mean to. You wanted three identical shots of an F-14 with different exposure settings right? man I was not awake when I put those up the other day :negative:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Good to see that program making some progress. Last news about it were the Luftwaffe complaining about shoddy work (875 flaws found in their first model) and the Armée de l'Air finding the side doors too awkward for paratroopers to use them and doubting it could safely refuel choppers. Also, delays expected on the 2015 deliveries and the chief of the program forced to resign.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I would love to read an 875 item list of flaws. From the Luftwaffe no less. I bet it would be magical.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
831. DIE FLUGENHATGESCHEINENTFAHHRT IST KAPUTT
832. DIE MASCHINENDOODLEKAPENGEHEN IST KAPUTT

and so on

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
1. dieses Flugzeug riecht nach Knoblauch, nächste Mal hohlen wir einer aus Deutschland

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Regarding the F-35 block 5 six amraams thing is there a source somewhere for that?

e:

DeusExMachinima posted:

test pilots in the 90's called it the Monica :pervert:

On this thought, I wonder what pilots will end up actually calling the F-35; like the name "Fighting Falcon" I have a feeling "Lightning II" isn't going to stick with crews.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 19, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Mortabis posted:

Regarding the F-35 block 5 six amraams thing is there a source somewhere for that?

Pretty old at this point, but real sources on something so far out get shady. It's been on the map for a while though. There's no guarantees this will become reality.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 20, 2015

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mortabis posted:

e:

On this thought, I wonder what pilots will end up actually calling the F-35; like the name "Fighting Falcon" I have a feeling "Lightning II" isn't going to stick with crews.

Fat Albert

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Gold Digger

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

mng posted:

Gold Digger

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The Decline and Fall of Western Civilization

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
The F35 McNamara

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Dumpster Fire

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Psion posted:

I would love to read an 875 item list of flaws. From the Luftwaffe no less. I bet it would be magical.

Apparently most of it was fussing about the paint.

Mortabis posted:

The GBS thread was fond of "Super Grover" for obvious reasons.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
F-35 "Gavin"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
If I had my way, I'd be the "Warthog" or the "Boyd", just to gently caress with certain people.