Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

So I managed to snag an Attack +4 talisman so with my Queen's Longfire HBG I can run around with Attack Up XL and murder the hell out of poo poo. That's awesome. I'll be able to do it regardless once I rank up and get Attack Gem lvl 2, but it's nice to be able to do it right now.

Also Gore Magala online is a bitch. I swear that bastard takes off half my HP in Gunner armor. Gotta ugprade my poo poo, or just do it with Lance. Zamtrios was equally dangerous, me and a friend both carted once, but we took him down in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
First attempt at finding 4 sulfur: 50 minutes, 2 sulfur found. Quest failed. Attempt 2: I get all the sulfur in one room

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

dragon enthusiast posted:

Charge Blade talk: the best benefit to the n3ds I've found so far is the more accessible start/select buttons - by assigning Kick to start you can morph between axe and sword mode with the push of a button.

What this does, actually, is give you a 100% foolproof Guard Point button. Instead of having an unreliable R+X morph or a skill intensive X->R+X morph you get a perfect guard point every time for the low low price of moving your menu button to the touch screen (plus shipping and handling).

Also, has anybody figured out the follow-up moves for guard point? Pressing X actually completes the morph to axe mode, and I think the other buttons also do stuff but I haven't been able to get them to work.

If you hit X+A after a guard/guard point you can go straight into a Super/Ultra Phial Burst.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

So some of the late 6* Caravan quests are actually High Rank quests in disguise. I was wondering why a Tetsucabra was doing so much damage to me until I started carving scale+s from his body.

It's weird, becuase there's no indication that it's going to be any harder than a regular Low Rank quest.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

muike posted:

First attempt at finding 4 sulfur: 50 minutes, 2 sulfur found. Quest failed. Attempt 2: I get all the sulfur in one room

??????????

My experience with that quest:

Equip Leather Armor Set (+1 Gatherer)

Walk around randomly, grabbing nodes where I find them

End up with 9 Sulfur Crystals

Are people really having an issue with this quest?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Pyronic posted:

??????????

My experience with that quest:

Equip Leather Armor Set (+1 Gatherer)

Walk around randomly, grabbing nodes where I find them

End up with 9 Sulfur Crystals

Are people really having an issue with this quest?

they're random so it could potentially be an issue

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rage McDougal posted:

So some of the late 6* Caravan quests are actually High Rank quests in disguise. I was wondering why a Tetsucabra was doing so much damage to me until I started carving scale+s from his body.

It's weird, becuase there's no indication that it's going to be any harder than a regular Low Rank quest.

Was it a Tetsucabra that just showed up, or was he the hunt target? Because if you get a 6* quest to kill the same guy you killed at 2* you should probably put 2 and 2 together and figure its gonna be tougher. :cheeky:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I captured a couple of Tetsucabaras earlier and for some reason his face reminds me of the Great Mighty Poo from Conkers Bad Fur Day.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

What's the fastest way to make an assload of traps?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I... I don't know how to fish in the Ancient Steppe.
Also what was the combo for traps and tranqs? Starting out and wanna forge my Jaggi Armor pronto.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Drythe posted:

I like to buy Trap Tools and then have the Wycoon multiply Thunderbugs. Do easy filler quests to kill time if you need to while the multiplying gets rolling.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Was it a Tetsucabra that just showed up, or was he the hunt target? Because if you get a 6* quest to kill the same guy you killed at 2* you should probably put 2 and 2 together and figure its gonna be tougher. :cheeky:

See, I'd agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that there's a dedicated section of the quest board for High Rank quests.

I guess maybe it's left over from MH4, before they had a proper single-player High Rank?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Drythe posted:

Download the starter pack off the eShop for 15 or so of both trap types. Alternatively go to sunken hollow and grab a bunch of spider webs for nets to make pitfall traps; trap tool from a merchant + (spider web+ivy) = pitfall! Shock traps are a little more hit-or-miss because of the need to actually find thunderbugs, who seem more rare than spider webs and ivy vines.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Calaveron posted:

Also what was the combo for traps and tranqs? Starting out and wanna forge my Jaggi Armor pronto.

there's a spot right in camp on the left and another somewhere but i forget what #, it's kind of hard to see

and you get the monster in the trap then hit it with 2 tranq bombs

if it doesnt go down in 2 you are most likely too early so dont keep chucking them

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Calaveron posted:

As noted, there's one spot at the little waterfall in the starting area, then there's a second spot in the felyne village.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I just love that the LR quest for killing Rathian and Rathalos is called Two Live Crew. And the NPC who gave it said something about them "screwdoodling" on her route home.

In case anyone doesn't know, there's a shortcut to area 3 at the starting area of the Primal Forest.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Awesome! posted:

there's a spot right in camp on the left and another somewhere but i forget what #, it's kind of hard to see

and you get the monster in the trap then hit it with 2 tranq bombs

if it doesnt go down in 2 you are most likely too early so dont keep chucking them

Yeah, I know. But I forgot what was the item combo to make traps and to make tranq bombs. I think it was Trap Tool + Lightning Bug and Tranquilizer + Bomb Casing?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Colapops posted:

Shock traps are a little more hit-or-miss because of the need to actually find thunderbugs, who seem more rare than spider webs and ivy vines.

Shock traps are shockingly easy to make though because you can just multiply the thunderbugs.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yea trap tool + thunderbug and tranq + bomb casing

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

and actually think there's an alternate shock trap recipe now with a trap tool and genprey claws or something. it's listed right below the other one in the list

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I miss the backpack granny.

Edit: I can't stop looking at your avatar.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 20, 2015

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Celery Face posted:

I miss the backpack granny.

so far the one thing that was easily better in 3u

also i liked the port area a lot in general

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Awesome! posted:

and actually think there's an alternate shock trap recipe now with a trap tool and genprey claws or something. it's listed right below the other one in the list

That was always there , but yes that exists

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Monoblos armor get! Attack up XL, Potential, and Guard Up here I come!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Toxxupation posted:

That was always there , but yes that exists

not in 3u

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Rage McDougal posted:

See, I'd agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that there's a dedicated section of the quest board for High Rank quests.

I guess maybe it's left over from MH4, before they had a proper single-player High Rank?

Caravan 1*-5* is low rank, and the original offline content in MH4.
Caravan 6* is what was previously postgame offline content in MH4.
Caravan 7* is where the actual "real" high rank stuff starts, and 10* is offline G Rank.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

megalodong posted:

Caravan 7* is where the actual "real" high rank stuff starts, and 10* is offline G Rank.

Ah, thanks for clarifying!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

megalodong posted:

Wait, how many god drat HR levels are there in the single player in this game? I don't remember 3U having more than like 7 but I could be mistaken, god drat I'm not even half way. :negative:

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Ignimbrite posted:

This is incorrect, EU games can play with NA games. NEither can play with the japanese version of the game.

I was referring to the Japanese copy of the game, because that's the version I own.

I guess I just have a game I won't play, not a huge deal but still a frustrating decision. I can understand region locking the matchmaking/groupfinder but region locking local play -- something that requires you to literally be right next to the person you're playing with? Doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Wait, how many god drat HR levels are there in the single player in this game? I don't remember 3U having more than like 7 but I could be mistaken, god drat I'm not even half way. :negative:

Single player has lots to do! Its a good thing :) Online ramps up the difficulty much faster.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
15 Daimyo Hermitaur hunts with a hunting horn breaking the whole skull. 9 Wyvern Scalps, no horn.

:shepicide: all this for a decentish insect glaive i decided on a whim to make. On the plus side i now have a kickass hunting horn and feel pretty good using it.

I got two chilled beaks from Najarala in 12 hunts so maybe this is my punishment.

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 20, 2015

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Alright, list of monster unlocks so far:

Velocidrome and Kut-ku/Kutkusub: Automatically unlocked via the story with Expeditions

Garuga: Complete the hunt 6 Remobra village quest to unlock it for expeditions.

Kirin: After defeating Shagaru in SP, complete the series of "Hunting Festival" Advanced Quests in Val Harbor and then the additional Mohran request from Wycoon to receive a mission to unlock it for expeditions.

Ruby Basarios: Automatically unlocked for High Rank expeditions when you have defeated Shagaru in SP

Golden Rajang: HR40 gathering hall

Molten Tigrex: HR50 gathering hall

Any others that have specific 'unlock' conditions? These are just the ones I've gotten so far, I know there are others

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

gently caress Tigrex. Like, just stop trampling for two goddamn seconds so I can chug a potion. Attack the loving cats! For gently caress's sake just stop moving!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Moving zones to take a breather and heal sometimes helps.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
For anyone else who wants to increase their indenpurred labor workforce but don't know where the cats are: there is always one at the felyne village on a hunt. I wish I had known/read the help text on this many hours ago.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

sitchelin posted:

gently caress Tigrex. Like, just stop trampling for two goddamn seconds so I can chug a potion. Attack the loving cats! For gently caress's sake just stop moving!

If my Tigrex experience isn't rusty, hunting Tigrex while he's in rage mode is better for killing him, as he takes more damage in that mode. It's rear end for hitting him, but there are definitely openings. My niche spot was the tuck and roll under the claw he starts his charge with, the invincible animation should preserve you while he speeds by, and you don't catch on any body parts, like the occasional time when you roll into a charging monster. It's a tough spot to roll through, but it's enough to sheathe and buy some time.

His charge - turn - charge ( - turn - charge in rage mode) will never double back exactly center, so standing behind him is the safest place. Add that to the underclaw dodge, and he gives you enough opening to chug a potion and set up the next attack.

GS Tigrex Hunters represent :getin:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's weird how easy tigrex becomes once you've fought him a bunch, I ended up accidentally making my first fight with him the frenzied version and it was still a breeze

the biggest advice I can give to tigrex is playing super careful, don't heal in his zone (just run out of the zone if you have low enough health that a potion would have full benefit) unless you know what he's doing, and also a big realization that really helps is understanding that he's really fast but really predictable and you can make him rush into walls opening him up for attacks

also that any time he places both claws in the ground and sets himself up like a tripod he's about to roar, which will do damage to you if you're too close

basically his attacks are really powerful and combo you to dead but they're all locked, like he's all about the roar into rush into bite into spin into you're dizzy into rush you to death, and if he misses any of those attacks he's toothless because he's locked into their animations

Mistle posted:

GS Tigrex Hunters represent :getin:

you called? :smuggo:

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Sire Oblivion posted:

3U had 1*-9* quests. 1*-5* was Low Rank and 6*-9* and some urgents were High Rank.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

laplace posted:

I was referring to the Japanese copy of the game, because that's the version I own.

I guess I just have a game I won't play, not a huge deal but still a frustrating decision. I can understand region locking the matchmaking/groupfinder but region locking local play -- something that requires you to literally be right next to the person you're playing with? Doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

It's probably because the two versions have incompatible assets. Like, all that equipment based on random mascots and manga and whatnot.

Just play online in the Japanese version--it's fine and you don't ever need to communicate outside using the shortcuts--I type so slow on that kana keyboard that I probably couldn't use it effectively if I tried.

Stay away from the rooms that have people with really high HR though because they will boot anyone with a HR lower than 400 or so. I seriously have no idea what kind of poopsockers can get an HR that high--after over 400 hours of play mine's still only like 150 or so, though I do mostly solo so that brings it down a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Any idea where to get a Great Hornfly? Best I could find is this that just says "Veggie Elder: Great Hornfly <-> Farcaster," which I assume means I trade him a farcaster for one? I've tried talking to him a bunch with one in my inventory and no luck so far.

• Locked thread