Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

ja2ke posted:

Was I mad at selfie sticks? I said they made me feel old (which they do! I don't care about them one way or another but tourist spots look undeniably different than they did when I was younger because of their presence), and Remo gave a pretty succinct and accurate reason for their (and selfies) rise, in a way that was not about anger or shaming. Just because someone has a selfie stick discussion it doesn't mean they're immediately having the conversation you're apparently assuming they are.
They make me feel old too.

Also, I'm glad to see that you're not dead from that cough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Selfie sticks are dumb but fine. My wife has one, used almost exclusively for taking pictures of herself and her friends while riding their horses.

I despise taking strangers pictures and wouldn't ever give my phone to someone I didn't know to take my picture, so I'm fine with a dumb looking stick with my phone at the end of it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Avoid the whole problem by being intensely camera shy and never taking pictures if it can at all be avoided!

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Avoid the problem entirely by training yourself to emit high intensity IR radiation that fries the image sensors of any cameras that point in your direction.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I go on motorcycle trips by myself sometimes and a selfie stick would probably come in handy for some better shots. There isn't always somebody around to ask in many of the remote places I travel and I'd rather not ask somebody anyway :shrug:

I never really got what was so terrible about taking a picture of yourself anyway though so maybe I'm just the worst.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I remember when selfie sticks were used exclusively in the realm of skate, surf, snowboard and skiing videos as gopro mounts. I fully expect to see autonomous selfie drones in the next couple years, in which we will all miss the days of the passive selfie stick.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I'm deeply suspicious of anyone who takes photos of themselves by default, so selfie sticks are the equivalent of the mark of the beast.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Selfies originated because cameras and film became essentially infinite. Taking a picture used to be a Big Deal and as soon as we moved to a post-picture scarcity society, there was a social phenomenon of transgression against what was a social taboo, wasting film. Selfies initially were intentionally bad, but now the pedlum swings to making them good as possible.

I laugh at the people agast that people take selfies at funerals and sacred sites. It's not tacky, it's the culture of the day.

I imagine we'll see a similar phenomenon when 3d printers become widely available. People will initially be proud of how much crappy stuff they can produce, but then focus on quality.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

The selfie stick is the perfect symbol for the increasing trend of people to document 100% of their potentially enjoyable experiences instead of actually enjoying them. My wife and I watched a couple who were each equipped with a GoPro on a selfie stick at the Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza. They were each posing alone in front of various buildings while going into different "extreme" selfie poses. Occasionally they would converge to high-five, then separate and move on to different areas to repeat the process.

I've been called an old man my entire life, but that was the absolute peak of me thinking "what are these god damned kids doing?". They were at most five years younger than us.

That Doom mod sounds like it would be sweet as hell, though, if it took the picture toward the Marine instead of forward.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ulta posted:

I laugh at the people agast that people take selfies at funerals and sacred sites. It's not tacky, it's the culture of the day.

I think taking pictures at a funeral is pretty loving tacky.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
There were people taking selfies at the police barrier when there was that hostage situation in Sydney. I think that's pretty much as tacky as you can get.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

EC posted:

Press X to pay respects
Press A for selfie of you paying respects

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Scylo posted:

There were people taking selfies at the police barrier when there was that hostage situation in Sydney. I think that's pretty much as tacky as you can get.

But taking photos at a hostage crisis or funeral is inappropriate selfie or otherwise. In fact I would probably argue that if you feel like you've gotta take a photo a quick self shot is better than posing while somebody else takes the picture.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

EC posted:

It's not my personal choice, but in the thankfully small number of funerals I've attended have all involved bizarre behavior in one form or another. Everyone grieves in their own way and a selfie is a lot less destructive than general drunkeness or anger.

The hostage situation thing is probably a shallow attempt at fame or money so that's fine to wave a finger at. More a problem with the individuals than the institution of the selfie.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

EC posted:

How about live-tweeting one? That seems pretty tacky too.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
They do have legitimate uses.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I feel like an alien because the primary use for my phone's camera is as a utility to capture factual information. 90% of my camera roll is pictures of whiteboards from work and pictures of where I parked so I don't lose my car. Selfies baffle me, beep boop.

Oh, the Star Control II episode of Watch Out for Fireballs! is out. As promised, it features Zack from VGHD, and I think it's delightful.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/94

Up next is our Game Books episode, followed by Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, and then Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy!

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

The selfie stick is the perfect symbol for the increasing trend of people to document 100% of their potentially enjoyable experiences instead of actually enjoying them. My wife and I watched a couple who were each equipped with a GoPro on a selfie stick at the Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza. They were each posing alone in front of various buildings while going into different "extreme" selfie poses. Occasionally they would converge to high-five, then separate and move on to different areas to repeat the process.

I'm more or less with ya. This is a pet peeve of mine. I'm not going to go write a think piece on it and I don't actually care that much. But even as my memory gets shittier I think there's a lot of beauty in things being ephemeral and I think it's really important to be present.

We're all turning into weird walking advertisements for ourselves. When my marriage was falling apart, my ex doubled her positive posts and smiling selfies on social media. I don't actively begrudge anyone their approach to dealing with tragedy and if it helped her to create the illusion she was happy online, that's fine. But there is something about it that mildly rubs me the wrong way.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

#notallselfies

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Song For The Deaf posted:

I feel like an alien because the primary use for my phone's camera is as a utility to capture factual information. 90% of my camera roll is pictures of whiteboards from work and pictures of where I parked so I don't lose my car. Selfies baffle me, beep boop.

Oh, the Star Control II episode of Watch Out for Fireballs! is out. As promised, it features Zack from VGHD, and I think it's delightful.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/94

Up next is our Game Books episode, followed by Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, and then Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy!

The new ep. is not showing up in my feed, so I guess I'll listen to it on the laptop as I play some silly browser game.

edit: Oh, there it is! Yay!

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 19, 2015

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ulta posted:

It's not my personal choice, but in the thankfully small number of funerals I've attended have all involved bizarre behavior in one form or another. Everyone grieves in their own way and a selfie is a lot less destructive than general drunkeness or anger.

True, but taking pictures is a weird way to grieve. Like, are you going to look back at those pictures and think about the funeral?

Pasco posted:

How about live-tweeting one? That seems pretty tacky too.

Yeah that seems like a lovely thing to do.

The first time I had a phone with a camera, I didn't use it for anything but pictures is serial numbers or model numbers for things I was working on.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

SpannerX posted:

The new ep. is not showing up in my feed, so I guess I'll listen to it on the laptop as I play some silly browser game.

I forced the feed to refresh and now it should work.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

I forced the feed to refresh and now it should work.

Yes, thank you! (I love you guys!)

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Optimus Subprime posted:

I fully expect to see autonomous selfie drones in the next couple years, in which we will all miss the days of the passive selfie stick.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Yes. Goodbye Galaxy was one of my first video games so I'll definitely replay to see how it holds up and send in some reader mail.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I used to get all salty about selfies, but then I realized I was getting mad about something that hurts literally nobody and brings at least the people taking them some kind of joy. Why would I want to rage at people enjoying themselves at nobody's expense?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Oh man I think I caught Jake's ebola listening to IT this week.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Oh my god is that what a selfie stick is? I would never have guessed a three foot rod needed a drat name, much less a silly one. gently caress everything, I just assumed there was some new Men In Black pen-camera that was really loving fast and discrete at taking photos and uploading them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

kater posted:

Oh my god is that what a selfie stick is? I would never have guessed a three foot rod needed a drat name, much less a silly one. gently caress everything, I just assumed there was some new Men In Black pen-camera that was really loving fast and discrete at taking photos and uploading them.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
You laugh at me for rolling the corpse out of the casket at funerals and loving it in the butt, I laugh at you because you're all the same.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Sounds like some people here have never stumbled onto http://selfiesatfunerals.tumblr.com/

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

VDay posted:

Sounds like some people here have never stumbled onto http://selfiesatfunerals.tumblr.com/

Or the Selfie olympics https://twitter.com/SelfyGames

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Literally every single time anyone mentions selfies on the Internet, that's what happens. "loving selfies" is the "in my day youngsters knew their manners" of aging gen x'ers.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Scorchy posted:

Oh man I think I caught Jake's ebola listening to IT this week.

Yeah.

This week's episode was not exactly a high point for me. Jake barfing down the mic all cast, making hilariously uninformed comments about John Walker, and really the whole Molyneux segment just didn't work for me.

At least the coughing managed to mask the number of times Chris says "like" during a cast though!

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

The Molyneux segment felt incredibly tone-deaf.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I had a feeling thumbs might be the most softball about molyneux, I've not listened to it yet, how bad is it?

Tweek-
Jul 13, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

I had a feeling thumbs might be the most softball about molyneux, I've not listened to it yet, how bad is it?

Like most podcast i listened too: We understand peter molyneux and we understand the backers. (Not intended as a hit on the guys.)

I liked the recent jimquisition.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's disappointing. After seeing the jimquisition episode about it, molyneux actually comes off as a meticulously calculating con-man. The thing with the fable series repeated hype-then-bashing when promoting the sequel makes him far less bumbling and innocent, and way wayyyy more insidious, and that's not even getting into the Milo thing or Godus.

I'd be really curious to see what Jake and Co had to say after seeing that episode, because I can't imagine defending molyneux with that amount of bullshit exposed. He may have been enthusiastic about his games initially, but at some point he crossed a line, and now he's crossed another by doing it to the public instead of a company.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Designer Diaries is an awesome podcast that has taught me a lot about games. One of those things is that designers are really bad at microphones.

Jesting about sound quality and mic banging aside the newest one is a Paradox designer talking shop with two Civilization designers. Lots of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah that was pretty much the only time where I thought IT made a swing a huge miss about a certain issue. That is pretty impressive if you actually think about though so credit where due. Pretty much every other gaming podcast has huge amounts of these misses so that is why it probably stuck out.

Oh well onwards and upwards.

• Locked thread