Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

It's about time. It was kind of a dumb rule. Part of what makes unpowered characters interesting is how they still have to deal with powered threats.

They were already breaking the rule, anyway. The season 2 finale featured an entire Army of super-powered thugs, not to mention Slade and Ravager (and Grundy, who I hope returns as a giant, particle accelerator induced, zombie). Ras is in incredibly good shape for being over 67 years old (or whatever), and Ollie just survived a fatal injury, followed by a fatal fall. Brick seems to be able to shrug off bullets, as well. I'm not sure why they were pretending to be 'grounded', as the show hasn't really been 'grounded' since Season 1. They may as well embrace living in a crazy, comic book universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, the comicbook.com article jumps the gun a little. It says: "Deathbolt’s status as a metahuman, affected by The Flash’s Particle Accelerator explosion"...except that the IGN source they got their info from outright says "It remains to be seen if Simmons is from Central City -- and got his powers in the particle accelerator accident that has been the source of all methahuman abilities on The Flash spinoff -- or if another cause is given." Heck, considering the fact that Arrow has had many non-superhuman versions of superhumans from the comics, even the notion that he is superhuman at all is speculative right now (although I speculate that he will be).

It just goes to show how misleading it can be when different news sources play telephone with each other like this.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
One thing that I think would really work well, especially in Flash, is introducing some more "golden age" heroes like Starman and Dr. Midnight.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

RIP Arrow. It was good while it lasted.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
If Summer Glau couldn't kill Arrow then it's unlikely that a (possibly?) powered character will.

pro-tip I love Summer Glau

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Doug Jones is typically pretty great so hopefully this is decent

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Can someone remind me why Malcolm wanted Sarah dead AND needed Thea to be the killer because right now his worrying about Ras isn't making a whole lot of sense to me.

Also, lol at an ARGUS facility having only two people working in it with no means of providing back up should something go wrong. Though I guess having an ARGUS that makes sense is asking to much considering ARGUS refuses to exist on The Flash, despite what is happening there probably being more relevant to their interests.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The point was to make Oliver invested in the fight with Ra's.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

Can someone remind me why Malcolm wanted Sarah dead AND needed Thea to be the killer because right now his worrying about Ras isn't making a whole lot of sense to me.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but the explanation was that Merlyn wants Ra's dead. He figured Oliver would be a good candidate for doing the job (if he had the right motivation). So he used Thea (a very important person for Oliver) to kill Sara (a very important person for Nyssa, who Ra's apparently cares for). Sara's death causes Ra's to focus on Starling City, which gets Oliver's attention. If Oliver tries to tell Ra's who really killed Sara, Merlyn can show the tape proving it was Thea, who will be killed. In order to save Thea and the threatened citizens of Starling, Oliver agrees to try to kill Ra's, banking on the power of love to save him. It obviously doesn't work.

It hinges on the ideas that the LoA won't forgive someone for what they do while on wacky mind-control drugs, and that Merlyn honestly thought Oliver could kill Ra's.

gnomewife fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 19, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Well, the comicbook.com article jumps the gun a little. It says: "Deathbolt’s status as a metahuman, affected by The Flash’s Particle Accelerator explosion"...except that the IGN source they got their info from outright says "It remains to be seen if Simmons is from Central City -- and got his powers in the particle accelerator accident that has been the source of all methahuman abilities on The Flash spinoff -- or if another cause is given." Heck, considering the fact that Arrow has had many non-superhuman versions of superhumans from the comics, even the notion that he is superhuman at all is speculative right now (although I speculate that he will be).

It just goes to show how misleading it can be when different news sources play telephone with each other like this.

The article notes they altered his powers from the comics from electricity manipulation to plasma manipulation.

That's an awfully specific lie if he's not going to have powers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Also, lol at an ARGUS facility having only two people working in it with no means of providing back up should something go wrong. Though I guess having an ARGUS that makes sense is asking to much considering ARGUS refuses to exist on The Flash, despite what is happening there probably being more relevant to their interests.

I assume whatever shadowy subcommittee that sets Waller's budget and remit is also bankrolling Eiling's task force, so she's told "leave the freaks that shoot lasers from their eyes alone"

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Madkal posted:

One thing that I think would really work well, especially in Flash, is introducing some more "golden age" heroes like Starman and Dr. Midnight.

I would love this too, and I'd also like to see The Shade. He could start off as a villain of the week, robbing banks or killing people (who deserve it) with his shadow powers and tangling with Flash, but he could start dropping hints to Barry about larger conspiracies, the secret history of Central City, tales of metahumans who operated decades in the past ("I once knew this man who called himself Max Mercury, who was almost as fast as you," etc.) -- very much like his mentor role to Jack Knight in Starman. Before James Robinson wrote The Shade as a roguish antihero in Starman (making him one of my all-time favorite characters), he fought both Flashes regularly: Jay Garrick AND Barry Allen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Starman, huh? I suppose Jack Knight is off-limits for television (barring permission from Robinson) just as he is in the comics?

The most recent episode of The Flash was pretty good even if the tag sort of overshadowed it. Felt sort of like a pilot in disguise, though I don't mean that in a pejorative way. :v:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Wheat Loaf posted:

Starman, huh? I suppose Jack Knight is off-limits for television (barring permission from Robinson) just as he is in the comics?

The most recent episode of The Flash was pretty good even if the tag sort of overshadowed it. Felt sort of like a pilot in disguise, though I don't mean that in a pejorative way. :v:

As a fan of Firestorm I wouldn't mind this. Two things would need to happen though to make me happy about it though. First would be giving Jason a bigger role, and second would be making his powers of transmutation instead of "blowing poo poo up".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They're transmuting things from being not-blown-up, to being blown up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh hey, Fox greenlit that Lucifer series.

quote:

The project hailing from Jerry Bruckheimer Television, Aggressive Mediocrity and Warner Bros. TV follows Lucifer, the Lord of Hell, as he resigns his throne and abandons his kingdom for the “shimmering insanity” of L.A., where he helps the LAPD punish criminals.
...as a police procedural :shepface:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

zoux posted:

There is more blame to be put on Warner Bros. than Fox. They've gone a long way to show they really couldn't give less of a poo poo about the comic properties they own.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

There is more blame to be put on Warner Bros. than Fox. They've gone a long way to show they really couldn't give less of a poo poo about the comic properties they own.

Do they not own Flash and Arrow?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

zoux posted:

Fox! :argh:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

zoux posted:

Do they not own Flash and Arrow?

They do, but I feel like those two shows exist as miracles at this point, especially when you consider it was Smallville that preceded them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think it is more likely Fox at this point. They probably saw Gotham and went to WB saying "Hey, got any more funnybook shows about cops?", and then the guys at Warner took an old Lucifer script and scored out "piano bar" and wrote "police station" instead.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lucifer was never going to end up anywhere near the comic. At best there will probably be little bits and pieces of it, shining in the muck.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Lucifer was never going to end up anywhere near the comic. At best there will probably be little bits and pieces of it, shining in the muck.

Sure, but police procedural is a special kind of dull.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Fox already had a police procedural starring Satan and it was called Brimstone. But that was amazing and shortlived and this will be terrible and probably go on forever like Gotham.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
:cop:"Lucifer we need you to follow this lead... TO GOTHAM!"

:devil:"Sure thing Chief"

:cop:"I warn you it a pretty bad place"

:devil: "I've been to worse" *winks at camera*

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm imagining the chief to be Chief O'Hara from the Batman TV show.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

SirDan3k posted:

:cop:"Lucifer we need you to follow this lead... TO GOTHAM!"

:devil:"Sure thing Chief"

:cop:"I warn you it a pretty bad place"

:devil: "I've been to worse" *winks at camera*

Yep. Can't wait for the Lucifer/Gotham crossover.
Whole things kind of strange to me because right now there is Gotham after Midnight or something like that about the Spectre/Jim Corrigan solving crime on the police force. Seeing that Constantine is probably getting cancelled/not renewed Fox should just adapt that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Lucifer is played by Ray Wise.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

jscolon2.0 posted:

Fox already had a police procedural starring Satan and it was called Brimstone. But that was amazing and shortlived and this will be terrible and probably go on forever like Gotham.

That show was awesome and way ahead of its time.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

bobkatt013 posted:

We could only be so lucky

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

jscolon2.0 posted:

Brimstone was too good for this world.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

bobkatt013 posted:

Nah we got to get David Bowie for this or a shapeshifter who pretends to be David Bowie

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Goodish news for Constantine fans.

quote:

- They have to pitch season 2 in May and will be told then if they're cancelled. (so no early cancellation announcement coming)
- The contract covers the cast till mid-June so another network could pick them up if they're cancelled.
- Foreign sales are apparently going good.
- Social media related to the show is increasing.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

zoux posted:

I sincerely hope they pull this off. Constantine wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

zoux posted:

I guess. It sounds like barely good news. If NBC/Universal hasn't already made a decision based on the info they have, and are really going to wait until May, then the show is more than likely dead. If it were coming back we'd probably know WAY sooner than then, and the producers would not have to be repitching the show. It sounds like NBC wants to cancel, but are going to give the show every last chance it can to change their mind.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's why I said goodish :eng101:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well it's goodish because basically they're seeing if the pilots they ordered are decent enough to replace what they currently have running, and being NBC there's a good chance their pilots will be fairly lovely.

Unrelated question about Constantine. Has he ever gotten to a point where all the darkness was too much for him to bear and he started using his magic to go after standard crimes and supervillains? Like, he cracked for a few issues before being dragged back in because that lifestyle was simpler and less mentally taxing?

It's weird thinking while Constantine is fighting this child killer pedophile satanist in New Orleans, simultaneously Plastic Man is hanging out in a bank disguised as a red lamp so he can beat up some robbers literally wearing bandit masks probably.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

greatn posted:

Well it's goodish because basically they're seeing if the pilots they ordered are decent enough to replace what they currently have running, and being NBC there's a good chance their pilots will be fairly lovely.

Unrelated question about Constantine. Has he ever gotten to a point where all the darkness was too much for him to bear and he started using his magic to go after standard crimes and supervillains? Like, he cracked for a few issues before being dragged back in because that lifestyle was simpler and less mentally taxing?

It's weird thinking while Constantine is fighting this child killer pedophile satanist in New Orleans, simultaneously Plastic Man is hanging out in a bank disguised as a red lamp so he can beat up some robbers literally wearing bandit masks probably.

The original Hellblazer comic that ran for 300 issues took place in it's own universe. It's a little confusing because early Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, where he first appeared, and early Neil Gaiman Sandman, where he had a cameo, both briefly crossed over with normal DC super-hero stuff, but then Vertigo spun off into it's own thing and there was no cross-over.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

The original Hellblazer comic that ran for 300 issues took place in it's own universe. It's a little confusing because early Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, where he first appeared, and early Neil Gaiman Sandman, where he had a cameo, both briefly crossed over with normal DC super-hero stuff, but then Vertigo spun off into it's own thing and there was no cross-over.

You know besides banging Zatanna. He also showed up during the Crisis. He was part of the DC Universe until they decided that Vertigo takes place in its own world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobkatt013 posted:

You know besides banging Zatanna. He also showed up during the Crisis. He was part of the DC Universe until they decided that Vertigo takes place in its own world.

Yeah, but that all happened in comics that weren't Hellblazer, which contains the vast majority of his appearances.