Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Xposed for Lollipop should be ready "soon".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Whizbang posted:

I hope there's a fix with a bug I have in both my S4 GPE (5.0.1) and Nexus 7 2013 (5.0.2) wich never saves swiftkey as my default keyboard and keeps setting google one. I don't loving like google keyboard and seems that I need to switch it every two lines I type.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Whizbang posted:

I really hope so, could use those tweaks again.

On a similar note, finished upgrading to Lollipop on my S5 for Verizon. Dont take the OTA (obviously), there are other versions that assist you in keeping root. I highly suggest getting Safestrap (I didnt have this earlier) to keep your data as you'll almost certainly wipe your phone in order to flash it to Lollipop. However, after you flash the ROM, you'll have to restore (if you are using Safestrap and not keeping a full wipe) before you flash the 0A8 kernel as all kernels past NK2 are not really playing well with Safestrap.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My Galaxy Note is three years old and now solid garbage. It's now the slowest piece of poo poo ever and my options are to try breathing new life into it with a new kernel, rom & root, or to buy a new phone.

Tomorrow I'm going gently caress things up badly by playing with all this stuff. Philz kernel, cwm, nightowl beta7 lollipop rom and all that! I guess I don't really need backups since google backs up my contacts & photos. The only thing I wonder is what will happen to my whatsapp convos.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ihmemies posted:

My Galaxy Note is three years old and now solid garbage. It's now the slowest piece of poo poo ever and my options are to try breathing new life into it with a new kernel, rom & root, or to buy a new phone.

Tomorrow I'm going gently caress things up badly by playing with all this stuff. Philz kernel, cwm, nightowl beta7 lollipop rom and all that! I guess I don't really need backups since google backs up my contacts & photos. The only thing I wonder is what will happen to my whatsapp convos.

1) Back up everything anyway why would you ever not holy poo poo

2) TeamWin is the only recovery still being updated and is in most cases the only one you should use. Philz has been discontinued and ClockworkMod sticks around mostly because of inertia but it hasn't been updated in years.

3) There's a common joke around that Samsung left the bar so low that even Cyanogen can clear it. Problem is, it's basically true. Any TouchWiz-based ROM is going to be the antithesis of your idea of good performance on a Note 1.

4) When you're all done with that, go back to the recommendation thread and get a Nexus/Moto/Z3-variant like everyone else sane.

5) Seriously that thing's from 2011. You're lucky a Lollipop ROM even boots on it.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
My note 2 still chugs along pretty well. My only real problems seem to be basic cm poo poo. 3 second video in snapchat, can't upload vid to IG. That's it really.

Running team UB lollipop

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I have a Note2 running LiquidSmooth KitKat. It runs so flawlessly and fast that the only reason I upgraded to a Nexus 6 was to give a perfectly working phone to my Mom.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Yea, my Note 2 of 27 months also doing good with Cyanogenmod 11. I can see myself sticking with it for another year.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I have a goddamn Droid X that I put CM11 on for shits and giggles. It even runs well. We've reached the point on smart phones that the hardware is generally good enough.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Sir Unimaginative posted:

1) Back up everything anyway why would you ever not holy poo poo

Because I don't know how :P Just copy manually the photos to my computer with USB cable?

quote:

2) TeamWin is the only recovery still being updated and is in most cases the only one you should use. Philz has been discontinued and ClockworkMod sticks around mostly because of inertia but it hasn't been updated in years.

There's no version for Galaxy Note (N7000): http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2 so I guess I'm safe enough if I use the recovery suggested in installation instructions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note/development/rom-t2938649

quote:

3) There's a common joke around that Samsung left the bar so low that even Cyanogen can clear it. Problem is, it's basically true. Any TouchWiz-based ROM is going to be the antithesis of your idea of good performance on a Note 1.

Even decent performance would be enough. I don't use my phone too much so it isn't that critical. But when apps take years to launch (it didn't happen when new), phone often freezes for no reason (maybe TRIM helps?), and when you can't update apps in 1st place because the 2GB system partition is full altough you basically have no apps installed...

quote:

4) When you're all done with that, go back to the recommendation thread and get a Nexus/Moto/Z3-variant like everyone else sane.

They are not free, and I don't feel like investing to new phone if I don't absolutely need to. And they have their own problems with battery life (nexus5, motorlas).

quote:

5) Seriously that thing's from 2011. You're lucky a Lollipop ROM even boots on it.

It has decent battery life, a big 5,3" display and is free to use. A Note 4 costs like 700€ here, and what do I get? More samsung touchwiz for whole money, no thanks :v:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Ihmemies posted:

Because I don't know how :P Just copy manually the photos to my computer with USB cable?

Yeah. You can do that with phones.

quote:

There's no version for Galaxy Note (N7000): http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2 so I guess I'm safe enough if I use the recovery suggested in installation instructions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note/development/rom-t2938649

Even decent performance would be enough. I don't use my phone too much so it isn't that critical. But when apps take years to launch (it didn't happen when new), phone often freezes for no reason (maybe TRIM helps?), and when you can't update apps in 1st place because the 2GB system partition is full altough you basically have no apps installed...

That's 2012 TouchWiz for you. Also Android phones before user app space and user file space shared a volume. And updates from three revisions on and apps from another three revisions on and developers who don't care about resources as much as they used to because they don't absolutely have to, or publishers and corporations who straight-up don't care as long as they can pump their usage/subscription numbers.

Lollipop has enough problems on phones built for it; you should probably be using a KitKat ROM until things stabilize, and I tend to gravitate toward major cross-brand Android ROMs because they usually last longer, because it's not basically one or two guys developing for what they have right now.

... CyanogenMod didn't make any version 11 milestones for the OG Galaxy Note (only nightlies) and anything older has the gigantic Webview exploit.

And the reason your phone has no TeamWin recovery is because it's old enough that the recovery has to be baked into the kernel.

Neither of these inspires confidence.

quote:

They are not free, and I don't feel like investing to new phone if I don't absolutely need to. And they have their own problems with battery life (nexus5, motorlas).

It has decent battery life, a big 5,3" display and is free to use. A Note 4 costs like 700€ here, and what do I get? More samsung touchwiz for whole money, no thanks :v:

Your phone is three years old with a three-year-old battery and an outdated system model - that "decent battery life" is either already something you're speaking about in a vacuum or something that will soon bite you on the rear end. Droid X dude probably got away with it because "being Motorola" and "people trying to spite Verizon" are bigger motivators than you realize, and the Note 2 is contemporary with the Galaxy S III, and both were bigger jumps over their predecessors than they give either credit for, because they were the first Samsung flagships under the Android 4 system model.

I'm not saying 'don't'. I'm saying 'I tried stretching an old-paradigm Samsung Android phone this way and it didn't end well'. You're welcome to try, you'll probably get some more time out of it; hell, you might get enough out of it to ride it into the ground. But don't think it's an absolute defense against having to buy a new one.

Also you don't have to buy a Samsung or a $700 monster for your next Android phone even if you want a similarly-sized display on your phone.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 12, 2015

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The crappy Samsung battery died like year ago, so that is not an issue anymore. There's nothing to lose by trying this new ROM out. If I somehow manage to brick my phone I have a fully working Nokia E51 with unused battery in storage.

I'd buy a new phone, but none of the models feel very interesting. I was quite ready to buy a Nexus 6 but it is too expensive for what it is. Poor camera, display & storage performance compared to Note4. And Note 4 is a samsung. Of course I could always buy the OPO.

Edit: OPO is going to have an open sale in one hour. Maybe I should do that, then you wouldn't have anything to worry about since I'd move to a modern phone.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 12, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I suddenly get the feeling I just got rope-a-dope trolled.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

A couple of my friends have OPO and it feels like a good phone. I know the hivemind doesn't like it here for reasons, but the units I've seen and played with work fine enough.

Currently backing up the data. /log is 3,16GB :nsa:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

It was a slow burn, wasn't it?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Trip report from romville: I didn't brick my phone!

My phone is now insanely fast, and despite the odds, all features like camera, WiFi, modem/radio work. Even the notification bar is transparent! Battery life is a mystery.

The only issue is the 2GB app partition which is terrible. The ROM maker said repartitioning is not possible so I'll try to deal with it.

Also lollipop & material design are so nice compared to gingerbeard-lookalike touchwiz jellybean.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Whizbang posted:

Xposed has public Lollypop alphas:
http://www.androidauthority.com/xposed-framework-android-5-0-lollipop-available-587449/

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014
...I'll wait til at least betas :psyduck:

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

kinkouin posted:

...I'll wait til at least betas :psyduck:

Me too but good to see it shouldn't take that long.

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
Crosspost from the android thread, since they said it'd be better to ask here:

I just had my S4 land on the corner of the screen and break it. Unfortunately, I didn't enable USB debugging beforehand like I should have, and there are a few things I'd like to recover which are gonna require that I have that enabled. I've read that I can push a kernel to my phone that has it enabled by default and use that, but I'm kind of at an utter loss as to what the hell I need and phones are not my forte. Not even sure if this is the right place to be asking, but anybody got advice for me? :shobon:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Xposed on Lollipop works fine. Or at least Xposed GEL works perfectly.

That's all I needed to work actually so it's awesome.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Skeezy posted:

So wait, all the existing modules work? I assumed they'd need to be re-done for some reason.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Shannow posted:

So wait, all the existing modules work? I assumed they'd need to be re-done for some reason.

Nope. Pretty much all the modules will work. There's a couple odd ones out there. I've heard Gravity box needs a bit of work but stuff like Xposed GEL works perfectly.

It owns.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Gravity Box partially works but they're already working on a Lollipop version that should be out in a few days.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah so if a module doesn't work it's very little that needs to be done for it to work on Lollipop. For most modules there's no work needed.

It's very cool.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Skeezy posted:

What are you running it on? The post says stock Samsung roms have issues, so my s5 seems to be out of the question :(

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

kinkouin posted:

What are you running it on? The post says stock Samsung roms have issues, so my s5 seems to be out of the question :(

Nexus 5

E. Xposed on Lollipop is alpha as gently caress to the point that it works on almost nothing. It does work if your phone supports it but it's limited.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Hey I am running the team UB lollipop rom on my note 2, which uses the nameless Kernel. My work truck's radio doesnt get very loud off Aux input, so in the past Ive used Boeffla Sound to boost the output, only problem is, its not compatible with the Nameless Kernel.

Anyone have an alternate program or method?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

always be closing posted:

Hey I am running the team UB lollipop rom on my note 2, which uses the nameless Kernel. My work truck's radio doesnt get very loud off Aux input, so in the past Ive used Boeffla Sound to boost the output, only problem is, its not compatible with the Nameless Kernel.

Anyone have an alternate program or method?
Viper. use the flashable zip, don't install manually.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've seen some VNC apps that require root, but what's the best for remote assistance kind of work? Ideally with a sensible way to deal with NAT on the tablet end..

I gave my grandfather a tablet so he can skype and read news and stuff, but inevitably every once in a while he says that "it's not working" and since I'm in an entirely different country, I'm always having a horrible time fixing it over the phone. While it's unrooted, I have the exactly same tablet lying around that I could root, set up, and send to him.

Also, does Titanium Backup also save all the system poo poo? I'm about to do an OTA and it would be nice if I could roll back the update if it sucks with TB. If it doesn't, what's the alternative process? I'm a bit concerned that I'm gonna get hosed by lollipop.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Mooktastical posted:

Viper. use the flashable zip, don't install manually.

Found the zip, but installation keeps aborting when trying to flash, no error message. Any Ideas?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

always be closing posted:

Found the zip, but installation keeps aborting when trying to flash, no error message. Any Ideas?

Extract " ViPER4Android_FX_A4.x.apk" out of the (2.3.4.0) zip in the op and put it in system/priv-app and reboot, then open Viper from your app drawer and install the driver from inside the app itself.

Sorry about my previous instructions, I didn't realize that there is a new version. Also, the zip I was referring to was buried in the thread here, not on the op.

mobby_6kl posted:

Also, does Titanium Backup also save all the system poo poo? I'm about to do an OTA and it would be nice if I could roll back the update if it sucks with TB. If it doesn't, what's the alternative process? I'm a bit concerned that I'm gonna get hosed by lollipop.
I can't speak to the rest of your post, but you want to do this with a custom recovery, preferably TWRP. Unfortunately, this will mean you won't be able to update through OTA's any more, as you'll be rooted.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 15, 2015

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Double post hurr

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Mooktastical posted:

Extract " ViPER4Android_FX_A4.x.apk" out of the (2.3.4.0) zip in the op and put it in system/priv-app and reboot, then open Viper from your app drawer and install the driver from inside the app itself.

Sorry about my previous instructions, I didn't realize that there is a new version. Also, the zip I was referring to was buried in the thread here, not on the op.

I can't speak to the rest of your post, but you want to do this with a custom recovery, preferably TWRP. Unfortunately, this will mean you won't be able to update through OTA's any more, as you'll be rooted.

No sweat, only problem is I dont have a system/priv-app folder on my device.

e- i did drop it into the system/priv-app of the 2.3.3 and flashed it, seemed to be ok.

E2- worked, thanks a lot mook.

always be closing fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 16, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'd like to root my Acer Iconia a500 just to set up SMB shares as a local drive (and get rid of some of the bloatware). Googling "a500 root" brings up a ton of results - what are the trustworthy rooting sites these days? Haven't played with root in about 5 billion years.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Medullah posted:

I'd like to root my Acer Iconia a500 just to set up SMB shares as a local drive (and get rid of some of the bloatware). Googling "a500 root" brings up a ton of results - what are the trustworthy rooting sites these days? Haven't played with root in about 5 billion years.

XDA still

edit:Trustworthiness is variable. Don't brick your old tablet.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Life is indeed all I hoped it could be.

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

I've been trying to root my Moto G XT1032 with no success : trying to unlock Bootloader, I just get stuck at "waiting for device" after typing "fastboot oem get_unlock_data".
Downloaded Fastboot and the Android developer bundle, went into USB debug mode, tried to see if my USB drivers are up to date, changed usb port, I'm stumped.

Any help would be appreciated.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sir Gladu posted:

I've been trying to root my Moto G XT1032 with no success : trying to unlock Bootloader, I just get stuck at "waiting for device" after typing "fastboot oem get_unlock_data".
Downloaded Fastboot and the Android developer bundle, went into USB debug mode, tried to see if my USB drivers are up to date, changed usb port, I'm stumped.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gotta be your drivers *I think. I don't have any specific help except it'll be annoying and just try anything you find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The phone is in fastboot mode, right? As in, you're looking at the bootloader.