Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My support Felyne walked right underneath a rathion and shock trapped it the moment it started limping. Good cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

My support Felyne walked right underneath a rathion and shock trapped it the moment it started limping. Good cat.

Well gently caress you and your felynes :colbert: Mine just walk off to fight jaggis then die 3 seconds later.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Countblanc posted:

Any idea where to get a Great Hornfly? Best I could find is this that just says "Veggie Elder: Great Hornfly <-> Farcaster," which I assume means I trade him a farcaster for one? I've tried talking to him a bunch with one in my inventory and no luck so far.

High Rank Everwood.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Alright, thanks.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ruby Basarios is a complete joke with a bowgun! I think he's even easier than regular Basarios since he does that move where he shakes off rubies so often, and gunners are pretty much completely immune to it. His armor is pretty solid though.

Zore posted:

15 Daimyo Hermitaur hunts with a hunting horn breaking the whole skull. 9 Wyvern Scalps, no horn.

:shepicide: all this for a decentish insect glaive i decided on a whim to make. On the plus side i now have a kickass hunting horn and feel pretty good using it.

I got two chilled beaks from Najarala in 12 hunts so maybe this is my punishment.

I think the horn on its shell is one of those fabled things that takes impact damage to break. I got 6 rathian rubies in 4 pink rathian fights so I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Gah, I'm so conflicted about which Felynes to use, I love them all :D

First I thought it was just fighter, healer, support and provoker, but even more abilities showed up, and I only have 20 slots! :( I want 5 of each for crying out loud! I believe I saw someone mention an upgrade to 40 at some point though, though not a clue when it is.

Seeing them jump face on the monsters is lovely though :D

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Pheace posted:

an upgrade to 40 at some point though, though not a clue when it is.

You should get to 30 before finishing Low Rank, I don't remember how. I think it might be the Cat-Fisherman's quests? Either that or the Scaredy-Cat's one?

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Well gently caress you and your felynes :colbert: Mine just walk off to fight jaggis then die 3 seconds later.

Give them a hat that says Large Monsters only.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Ok so, this is the first MH game I've really gotten into more than 2-3 quests. tried tri and 3U for 3DS, but now its finally clicking.
Some really dumb questions follow;
1: What do I do with the voucher for food? There doesnt seem to be anywhere to cash it in, and all the guides I read say to talk to the cook before hunt, but every time I do he just brushes me off without doing anything.
2: How do I hire Palicoes? I've got the one I named in my house, but he doesnt seem to do anything.
3: I'm really enjoying the Charge Blade, but have read that its meant to be for advanced people. Should I aim to learn something easier first, or is using it ok?

Also, for context, I have beaten two expeditions and I have my first Urgent Quest, which I am about to start on.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Spiteski posted:

Ok so, this is the first MH game I've really gotten into more than 2-3 quests. tried tri and 3U for 3DS, but now its finally clicking.
1: What do I do with the voucher for food? There doesnt seem to be anywhere to cash it in, and all the guides I read say to talk to the cook before hunt, but every time I do he just brushes me off without doing anything.
2: How do I hire Palicoes? I've got the one I named in my house, but he doesnt seem to do anything.
3: I'm really enjoying the Charge Blade, but have read that its meant to be for advanced people. Should I aim to learn something easier first, or is using it ok?

1: You sit at the table near him to cook a meal, using a voucher is one of the option
2: You unlock the ability to get more palicoes later on, go the board at the back of your house and set your main one to "Deploy"
3: Play the weapon you like, CB has some advanced stuff but if it works for you it works for you.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Spiteski posted:

1. You sit at the table to eat, not talk to the cook. You can use a Voucher instead of paying for the meal, but meals are so cheap you don't ever really need to do this. You can also use them to make certain armors and weapons.
2. You can hire more once you get farther in the game.
3. If you like it, keep going with it.

Efb

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Those were really fast responses thanks!

Cant believe I missed the table :cripes:

As for the blade, yea it clicked for me more than the other ones I tried. Ranged weapons seemed really clunky to aim, and the dual blades seemed like I'd need to have a bit better reflexes to dodge everything to start with. Being able to block half the time has helped me out.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Zore posted:

15 Daimyo Hermitaur hunts with a hunting horn breaking the whole skull. 9 Wyvern Scalps, no horn.

:shepicide: all this for a decentish insect glaive i decided on a whim to make. On the plus side i now have a kickass hunting horn and feel pretty good using it.

I got two chilled beaks from Najarala in 12 hunts so maybe this is my punishment.

Do you mean a scarlet finehorn? You can't get those from the crab, you gotta go to the source and break the horn off a Monoblos. 100% chance. If it's any consolation, I did 9 hermitaurs just to get the two scalps.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Spiteski posted:

Those were really fast responses thanks!

Cant believe I missed the table :cripes:

As for the blade, yea it clicked for me more than the other ones I tried. Ranged weapons seemed really clunky to aim, and the dual blades seemed like I'd need to have a bit better reflexes to dodge everything to start with. Being able to block half the time has helped me out.

The only complicated thing (As a fellow idiot learning CB) is learning about the Mythical Guard points, otherwise it's a pretty standard Build resources spend resources kinda weapon

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Vouchers guarantee that whatever you eat is made of fresh ingredients, which increases the chance of you getting the food skills from them and gives you a larger stamina boost.

Gourmet vouchers makes all the food skills activate.

And when you're in multiplayer, then the voucher is shared between all players.

http://game.capcom.co.jp/manual/MH4U/en-UK/index.html - the online manual is far more indepth than the one that comes with the cartridge, so it's worth checking out.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
I just got hr 7 and I can't complete a hr 7 quest. When does G rank unlock? The elder dragons are completely different then anything I fought in mh3.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can I use the horn to buff/heal myself/palico and make us/me awesome/great?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I beat the golden mountain god without taking damage. Good stuff. Went on an expedition right after and got trampled to death by a normal rathalos. Why, brain.

I really dislike trampling damage. The way a rathalos or rathian's spiked, club-like tail does less damage on a whack than having them just bump into you aggravates me to no end. That goes doubly so for tigrex.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
This gangtag is golden.

I just got to the HR Caravan missions. I built a full set of Q.Seltas gear for my gunlance, only to remember what a drastic increase in defense you get when jumping between rank sets. :doh:

Shagaru Magala is now my favorite Monster Hunter story boss. He was really well-designed and fun to fight; I carted twice and killed him with a lucky wyvern's fire when he was running at me for an awesome finish. This may be a bit of an anchoring effect, though, since Cedaus was such a lame fight in 3U.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Ceadeus was such a boring fight that Shagaru Magala would have to be astoundingly badly designed to be less fun. I've said it before and I'll say it again, water combat was trash and its removal is one of the best things about MH4U. Ceadeus would have been a lovely fight on land but it's just so so awful in water.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Gore Magala was pretty neat but not that scary in the story..Up until I had to actually kill it and it raged immediately upon the fight starting. First time I've ever 2 carted jeez.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Ceadeus would've been fun if the fight was entirely in area 3.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

drat it, I just realized the only reason I'm doing as well as I am with Lance (Najarala on first try) is I have that auto-guard thingy on. What a kick to the nuts. :smith:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So I just did a rare expedition that said it had a treasure area, but I don't see one, are they hidden or something?

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Ciaphas posted:

drat it, I just realized the only reason I'm doing as well as I am with Lance (Najarala on first try) is I have that auto-guard thingy on. What a kick to the nuts. :smith:

Don't feel bad, the autoguard trinket is really good and worth using until you're comfortable enough to predict hits and learn tells, or find something that completes a skill you're aiming for.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Can I use the horn to buff/heal myself/palico and make us/me awesome/great?

If you're talking the Hunting Horn, yep. That's the main selling point. Each HH comes stock with a song that makes you faster than a SS or DS wielder. The really good HH songs will give you/your cats infinite stamina, bonus attack better than the chef, HG earplugs, and so on. The only catch is if you're playing solo: You pretty much need the Maestro armor skill so you don't have to sacrifice time/risk standing still refreshing your songs every 2-3 minutes. That extra minute is huge.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Genpei Turtle posted:

It's probably because the two versions have incompatible assets. Like, all that equipment based on random mascots and manga and whatnot.

Just play online in the Japanese version--it's fine and you don't ever need to communicate outside using the shortcuts--I type so slow on that kana keyboard that I probably couldn't use it effectively if I tried.

Stay away from the rooms that have people with really high HR though because they will boot anyone with a HR lower than 400 or so. I seriously have no idea what kind of poopsockers can get an HR that high--after over 400 hours of play mine's still only like 150 or so, though I do mostly solo so that brings it down a bit.

I bought the game specifically to play with my friends locally -- The internet in my apartment doesn't allow me to connect to the Nintendo Network/Any sort of friendslist related stuff, so I'm limited to playing locally. Even if I were able to connect the lag would probably be unbearable. I'm just SoL unless I buy an American 3DS/Version of the game or someone hacks the N3DS with the region locking break so that I can just play on a friend's cart. It's my fault for not being a super informed consumer and just assuming that it'd work.

laplace fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 20, 2015

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Just did both of the quests that involve infected Khezu and I never want to fight that thing again.

Fatcat214
Feb 19, 2015

Party Poogie
Where can i find firestone? Do i have to wait for High Rank?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Just how much of a disadvantage am I if I fight fire based monsters with a fire weapon? I just made the Rathian charge blade right as I started getting volcano missions and I want to know if it's worth going back and getting another Defender's Blade before continuing or not.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Fatcat214 posted:

Where can i find firestone? Do i have to wait for High Rank?

No, you can get it in Low Rank. It's rare from mining points in the Volcanic Hollow

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Don't feel bad, the autoguard trinket is really good and worth using until you're comfortable enough to predict hits and learn tells, or find something that completes a skill you're aiming for.

Oh, sure, I just worry it'll become a crutch. I'd rather practice :gitgud: before then :v:

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.

Ciaphas posted:

Oh, sure, I just worry it'll become a crutch. I'd rather practice :gitgud: before then :v:

It's a great learning tool. Guard like you don't have the talisman equipped, and take a mental note when autoguard kicks in when you're not blocking.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
how do i get more pet cats

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

muike posted:

You need to get to the third village; you'll get the quest by talking to people.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Rathalos is somehow an even bigger rear end in a top hat in this game. Stop spending so much time in the air! :argh:

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Is there an easy way to get raw meat to cook? DO I have to kill and skin each monster.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Celery Face posted:

Rathalos is somehow an even bigger rear end in a top hat in this game. Stop spending so much time in the air! :argh:

I just had a loving hell of a time against Rathian. Granted, it was probably because I keep trying to use GS and keep sucking at it; especially considering I killed her in half the time next go 'round with a Gunlance. But still. Those loving poison backflips :argh:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Speaking of cats, I'm really digging how modular your Ace Palico can be for multiplayer. Mine can detox horn, heal, and drop shock traps before going up for the Flying F-Bomb to knock the monster down. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

muike posted:

Once you have the ability to do so, you'll find one in the felyne village of every hunt.

• Locked thread