Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

BattleCattle posted:

I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that noone will have an ending as amazing as Serika's. It wasn't easy.

The indie game Shira Oka is basically a Tokimeki fangame where more-or-less every route seems relatively normal (aside from the MC being a time traveler) and then abruptly gets to a "Serika fighting demons at the school" point. It's basically Tokimeki Memorial: The B-Movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I don't even care who we end up with, these are some pretty neat personalities all told.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Rogue 7 posted:

It may be lost on foreigners just how strange wearing a helmet for everyday biking is in Japan. Apart from kids in seats on their moms' bikes, the only people I have seen wearing helmets here in Japan were the Mormon missionaries in the town where I used to live in Saitama.

This explains a lot. Now, the hand signals, even I recognized those were dweby.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

mycot posted:

This explains a lot. Now, the hand signals, even I recognized those were dweby.

If he was American by way of Florida he would just charge into traffic and hope for the best. That guy wouldn't last a day over here.

Shofra
Dec 19, 2012

Wait, you're not into this sort of thing, are you?
Sheep is streaming some year one shenanigans right now! He forgot to post about it.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Stream's done for the night. New posts this weekend, and there'll be one more poll to see which club our girl Siren joins!

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Tokimemo Girl's Side, Chapter 2: We're not the same 'cause we don't know the game

Now that the dust is mostly settled, it's time to get comfy with the day-to-day portions of Girl's Side 2.

4/5: Taking control

???: Welcome home, sis!

Siren: Oh, Yuu-kun! I'm home!
Yuu: Say, today was the opening ceremony over at your high school, wasn't it?
Siren: Yeah, it was.

Yuu: It'll be nice if you can make tons of friends!
Siren: Yeah, that'd be nice.
Yuu: Since you just moved here and all...
Yuu: I have a few people I know here.
Siren: Haha, thanks for caring.

Yuu: Oh yeah! If there's something you need to know, just ask!
Yuu: I'll go out and get any info you need, sis!
Siren: Thanks, Yuu-kun.
Yuu: Ask me anything, okay?
Yuu: See you later!
Siren: (Hmm. If there's something I need to know, maybe I should ask him.)

A couple notes here about Yuu. One, even though he calls Siren "Sis", he's just her next-door neighbor. Because of how close together Japanese houses tend to be built, they can talk to each to each other from their windows - you can see his window on the left screen, just like you could see Shiori's window across the way in Tokimemo 1. Not that teenagers with facing windows is a particularly Japanese trope or anything, as any Taylor Swift fan can tell you.

Two, you have to wonder how he's grown so close to Siren so quickly, since she's probably lived in the area for a couple of weeks at most. Oh well, at least he's not as creepy as Tsukush...

Dammit.

The available actions are exactly the same as the previous Girl's Side activities. In the interest of avoiding cute boy overload, the safest activities for Siren will be hanging out with Haruhi, reading fashion magazines, sleeping, and going to whatever club we choose. Conveniently, Siren's starting Academics stat is perfect for meeting Motoharu, so we won't have to go out of our way to dodge Itaru. We'll be spending our first few weeks hanging out with Haruhi to qualify for the flower shop job.

Speaking of Haruhi, a quick check of Siren's inbox shows two messages - one from ArbeitNews and one from Haruhi.

I am the one known as Nishimoto Haruhi.

Aww, just kiddin', we'll skip the stuffy greetin's!

Let's have fun, Siren :love:

Haruhi

In case you forgot that Haruhi is from the Osaka area, the footer of every e-mail she sends is decorated with a singing octopus and a bunch of happy-looking takoyaki.

The Habataki Arbeit News mailing list works just like it did in the previous game, alerting you to new jobs as soon as you qualify for them. On the first day of the game, nothing's available, but this will change very soon.

First order of business: spend a lot of time hanging out with Haruhi.

4/9: The first weekend

The first Sunday unlocks some familiar icons, but before that, there's a new e-mail to read.

The posting is from a cafe called Sangosho, which appears to be in dire need of part-time help on Wednesdays and Fridays. It's so hard up, in fact, that instead of the usual call, it's accepting applications via e-mail and will respond within the day.

Siren: (This ad's looking for help. A cafe, eh...)
Siren: (Hmm? I feel like I've heard the name Sangosho before.)
Siren: (Oh, it says that help is urgently needed. If I don't reply today, I might be too late.)
Siren: (What should I do?)
Siren: I won't apply.

We don't really need to consult with Tsukushi Yuu yet, so let's go shopping! Siren starts with 100 Rich just like Goonko did, and all that money was meant to be spent.

Many of the same stores from Tokimemo Girl's Side are still open as of GS2 (including Goro's boutique), but what immediately catches my eye is Boutique Dixie, because :911:

Being a girl is hard - it took me about 10 minutes to figure out what the deal was with these... things hanging off the bottom of a simple camisole. Some helpful ladies in stream chat told me that those are ribbons hanging from the back that you're supposed to tie into a bow, and not the world's least useful suspenders.

While the "Tank top with a neck" was easy enough to translate, it was also incredibly confusing because why would you ever want your tank top to have a collar and a cleavage window?

After much thought, Siren picked up the following items at Boutique Dixie:

• Camisole
  • Short-sleeved T-shirt
  • Border camisole
  • Denim hotpants
  • Mesh miniskirt

After checking out of the store, the first new feature of GS2 pops up - the Skullbear point card! Not only do we now know what Skullbear actually looks like, we can get giant discounts without having to wait for December 24th or the last Sunday of the season. Fill up the point card to 10%, 30%, and 50% discounts, then redeem the discount at any store in the area. Seems simple!

New to GS2, a single shopping trip lets you go to two stores, so it's off to Boutique Nanami!

Where some terrible, terrible people convinced me to buy this hideous camisole and tight skirt combo, purely because they make the wearer look like a mermaid. Oh, and there was a black miniskirt that seemed alright.

Because of some horrible miscalculations, Siren ended up one stamp short of a 50% discount the next time she goes shopping. I hate it when that happens!

And, as usual, there are little vignettes that happen on the way back from a shopping trip.

Siren: (Hmm? That's Nishimoto-san with Wakaoji-sensei over there.)
Siren: Wakaoji-sensei, Nishimoto-san, what're you two up to?

Wakaoji: Fudou-san.
Haruhi: Ren! Can you believe this?
Haruhi: I was just walkin' ta work and mindin' my own business when Waka-chan came up outta nowhere lookin' like that!
Siren: Hmm, okay. Then what?
Haruhi: So normally, you'd be thinkin' he must be headin' ta a date if he's lookin' like that, right?
Haruhi: So I started bustin' his chops a little, but...

Wakaoji: Well, you see, I just wanted to buy kitty litter today.

Haruhi: Ya hear that? What's a grown man like him doin' with his day off, huh?
Haruhi: Don't it feel like an awful waste of a perfectly good leadin' man?
Siren: Haha...

Haruhi: Y'know, Waka-chan, this ain't the right movie for ya ta be actin' avant-garde!
Haruhi: Ya should know better 'n this!
Wakaoji: Um, okay.

Haruhi: Ya gotta go on proper dates! With girls! Seriously!

Haruhi: Whoops, gonna be late for work.
Haruhi: We'll talk more about this later!

Wakaoji: Sigh...
Siren: You know, Wakaoji-sensei, umm...
Siren: You're different from all the other guys anyway, and you shouldn't worry too much about--

Wakaoji: I agree that I should know better, but calling me avant-garde is too much.
Siren: (That's what got you?)

We have chosen the greatest of best friends. Also, holy crap is Haruhi difficult to translate properly.

Back at home, a quick trip to the dressing room shows that there are a couple of good go-to outfits that go together pretty well, so Siren can now look sporty or sexy whenever she needs to.

Dear God, why. WHY?!

4/12: Getting our priorities straight

Siren: (Hey, it's Nishimoto-san.)

Thanks to the transition to touchscreen, there's now a big NICK NAME button that makes it more obvious than usual that you can call your friends different things.

Here are all of the things you can call Haruhi:

• Nishimoto-san
  • Haruhi-chan
  • Nishimoto
  • Haruhi
  • Nishimon
  • Parupin
  • Haruru
  • Instigator
  • Little Miss Lonely

Wow. Those last two are pretty mean. Anyway, Haruhi-chan is the easy choice for the girl who will be our bestest buddy through the next three years.

Siren: Haruhi-chan!
Haruhi: Hmm? Oh, hiyadoin' Ren!
Haruhi: You headin' home?
Haruhi: What a coincidence, I am too!

Siren: You want to walk home together?
Haruhi: Aww, I'm super sorry! I gotta hurry today!
Haruhi: Wanna sprint with me?
Siren: Uhh...

Haruhi: Hahaha, just kiddin'!
Haruhi: We'll have ta hang out another time, get some tea or somethin'.
Haruhi: Anyway, gotta go!

Unfortunately for us, Tuesdays and Thursdays are bad for Haruhi, so RNG was not in favor. The conversations with Haruhi are pretty amazing.

4/18: Set event with Teru

This entire event always happens on the 18th, and is translated in its entirely in the previous introduction post. I'll spare you the whole thing.

4/25: Teru's nicknames

Siren: (Hey, it's Saeki-kun.)

Teru's potential names are:

• Saeki-kun
  • Saeki-san
  • Saeki
  • Teru-kun
  • Teru
  • Terurin
  • Teru-tan :love:
  • Prince :love:
  • SaeTeru

That's... kind of boring, compared to what you can call Haruhi.

Siren: Saeki-kun!
Teru: ...Yes?
Siren: Want to walk home together?
Teru: Why?
Siren: Hmm, well, no real reason.
Teru: ...Sure.
Siren: (I had a fun time walking home with Saeki-kun.)

RNG failed us again - these walks home come with really interesting conversations in GS2, and Teru's first conversation actually reveals a ton about him.

4/27: A word to the thick soul sisters

Siren: (Hey, that's Haruhi-chan over there...)

Haruhi: I know, right? Like, my arm's bad right up here, real real bad.
Haruhi: It's all flabby and squishy!
Siren: (Is she talking about dieting? I really don't think she has to worry about it, though.)

Is this a bad time to mention that Haruhi works at the sweets shop?

TOTALLY UNRELATED ASIDE: This is what happens if you start working with Haruhi

Siren: My name is Fudou Siren, and I'm starting here today. Nice to meet all of you!
Chief: Your shift will be every Tuesday and Thursday. We're expecting great things from you!
Siren: Got it!
Siren: (Alright, time to work hard!)

Haruhi: Ah-ha, so ya just couldn't resist, could ya?
Siren: Oh hey, Haruhi-chan! I just started today, let's have fun!
Haruhi: Did ya pick this job for--y'know--that?
Siren: What do you mean by "that"?

Haruhi: There ya go playin' dumb on me!
Haruhi: Thanks ta ya comin' here, my share's gettin' smaller!

Haruhi: It ain't no skin off a my neck, though!
Siren: Huh...?

Haruhi: Anyway, welcome!
Haruhi: When I think about how much we're gonna gossip in here, I get all giddy!
Siren: Yeah!
Haruhi: If there's somethin' ya don't get, ask me!
Haruhi: I don't think there'll be no problems, though.

END TOTALLY UNRELATED ASIDE - we're meant for another job this run!

5/1: When Cliches Attack

Siren: (Argh, why did the lunch counter have to be so crowded? Now I have to hurry I'll be late for class!)

Christopher: Ahh!
Siren: (Huh?!)

This is a Skinship screen, and there is no escape. You must touch Chris' face to progress in the game. :( I take some small solace in jabbing him in the eye.

*smooch*
Siren: Eek!
*thump*
Siren: Ow ow ow ow ow...
Siren: (I just felt something soft on my forehead...)

Christopher: Ouchie... I'm sorry.
Christopher: Can ya get up? Did ya hit yer head?
Siren: I'm... I'm fine.

Christopher: That's good. Looks like the only things that bumped were yer forehead and my mouth.
Siren: Your--your mouth?
Christopher: Ooh, ain't ya a cutie. Lucky me!
Christopher: Ain't you lucky too--this'll be a wonderful page in the album of your memories.

Christopher: Aw, hell, I forgot I was hurryin'.

Christopher: If we meet again, this time I'll give ya a kiss hello!
Christopher: Hope ya don't mind waitin' for me!
Siren: (What just happened? And wait, what was he talking about at the end there?)
Siren: ("I'll give ya a"--that means... you know what, I shouldn't think too much about it.)

The full original title of this game was Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2nd Kiss, because this is Siren's first kiss, technically. And the second kiss comes at the very end. Get it?

Anyway, this is all the thread's fault for choosing Kind and Funny in Siren's introductory quiz - each set of answers leads to this scene for all of the main boys in the game, and that particular set led to this result. Christopher is now the only character eligible for a few special lines, but thankfully, it doesn't affect that much.

Next time: I'm close to the edge

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
Do we know who won the poll yet?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Lazaruise posted:

Do we know who won the poll yet?

Whoops, should've made this explicit. The two winners of the poll are Motoharu and Harry, so we're going to need Siren to work at the flower shop. As for whatever club we choose, that's a new poll I'll be making soon.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

And now you know why I hate all of you.

Sheep, I really enjoy reading Haruhi! Thanks for taking all the effort to translate her.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yay, Skull bears!

Also apparently what is most desirable is a high camo index. It IS a Konomi series, after all :v:

Fang Blade Havoc
Jun 8, 2011

Luke what are you doing, stop that
Haruhi's dialog is pretty charming here, good job, sheep!

During the last stream someone mentioned that in GS2, that accidental kiss event we just saw also affects who is/is not eligible for a certain mode in the DS ports of Girl's Side. I was sure that was totally not true because it's stupid, but I tested it and it seems to be true -- you can't do that mode with someone you haven't accidentally kissed.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Section Z posted:

Yay, Skull bears!

Also apparently what is most desirable is a high camo index. It IS a Konomi series, after all :v:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

I don't know if I'm ready for Yuu faces to haunt my nightmares. Especially with what's coming up in the next update.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

I don't know if I'm ready for Yuu faces to haunt my nightmares. Especially with what's coming up in the next update.
In my dreams, it's always there - the evil face that twists my mind and brings me to despair.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

vibratingsheep posted:

[i]While the "Tank top with a neck" was easy enough to translate, it was also incredibly confusing because why would you ever want your tank top to have a collar and a cleavage window?

Is it trying to look like a Ramune bottle?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

Is it trying to look like a Ramune bottle?

Well, now I want it.

Chromius
Aug 5, 2014

Stays shiny, even in milk.

vibratingsheep posted:

They really should have used another word instead of Skinship for the "let's get these text boxes out of the way, touch the screen to continue" segments.
Skinship is completely optional for most events though. By using the skip button, think it's L on the DS version, or clicking on the text box itself won't trigger any affection points.

vibratingsheep posted:

This is a Skinship screen, and there is no escape. You must touch Chris' face to progress in the game. :( I take some small solace in jabbing him in the eye.
Except for this one. :cheeky: You must smooch the guy you picked.

Sheep, you're making Haruhi's dialog really fun to read.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Tokimemo Girl's Side, Chapter 3: Us kids are gonna make some mistakes

5/10: The path of parfait perfection

Siren: Hey, wanna grab something to eat on the way home?
Haruhi: Ooh, what a great idea!
Haruhi: We can get some tea and do all the gossipin' we want!
Haruhi: What're we waitin' for, let's go!
Siren: Let's get going, then.

Just like in the previous game, cafe stops after school are a good way to get to know the characters without actually asking them out. Unlike the last game, the perspective on all of the pictures actually makes sense and it doesn't feel like they're encroaching heavily on your personal space.

Siren: Say, Haruhi-chan.
Haruhi: Yeah?
Siren: Do you have a favorite food?

Haruhi: Parfait! Jumbo parfait!
Haruhi: Especially the ones with strawberries. And ones with lotsa whipped cream.
Siren: Wow, that sounds really sweet.

Haruhi: Ya ready for this? 'Cause when I get goin' about parfaits, there ain't no stoppin' me!
Haruhi: Y'know how they make some with cereal at the bottom?
Haruhi: Those're downright heretical in my book!
Haruhi: The ideal parfaits are the ones with proper fruit and ice cream, ya get what I'm sayin'?

Haruhi: Aww nuts, now I really wanna have one...
Haruhi: Maybe I'll make one for myself after I get home.
Siren: What? You make your own?

Haruhi: Hey, if ya can't find the perfect parfait on yer own, it's faster ta make yer own, y'know?
Haruhi: I'll treat ya to an extra one next time, so come on over!
Siren: Sure! Thanks!

5/20: Praised for a perfect week of hanging out

As if propelled by the perfect parfait, Siren's week went perfectly, leading to this quick tidbit from Haruhi:

Haruhi: Woo, that was fun!
Haruhi: Hangin' out together's the most fun I've ever had!
Siren: (Awesome!)

The perfect week triggers no less than 4 different stat thresholds, so the next time we check the inbox, Siren has access to the music shop job, the flower shop job, and the sweet shop job. Since the thread voted on Masaki, we're obviously going to take that flower shop job. Oh, and there's also an e-mail from Haruhi titled "Twinkle Twinkle", complete with a little falling star emote.

Ya been shinin' so bright lately!
But I ain't gonna let ya outshine me!

As twinklin' twins, we should hang out more!

Haruhi

PS, this is what the save game screen looks like at this point. Hurray for Haruhi!

5/22: Meet Harry

This is covered in its entirety in introduction post 1.2, so I'll skip it this time around.

5/23: Enter Masaki and Shiho

See above. It sure was convenient that we cleared both boys' stat thresholds in one week, though! And because we met Harry while Haruhi is our best friend...

5/24: The traditional double date at the park

Haruhi: There y'are, Ren!
Siren: Hey, Haruhi-chan. What's up?

Haruhi: Ta-da! What do ya think these are?
Siren: I dunno, what are those?
Haruhi: They're free tickets ta the amusement park!

Haruhi: Wanna go with me this Sunday?
Siren: The amusement park, eh...
Haruhi: You're comin', right? Seems fun, right? C'mon, let's go let's go!
Siren: Hey, wait a second. You have four of those. Who else is coming?

Haruhi: Uhh, well, don't worry about the little stuff.
Siren: I wanna go!

Haruhi: Sweeeeet! We're goin' this Sunday, so don't ya dare forget!
Haruhi: We're gonna have so much fun, Ren!
Siren: (This Sunday, huh? I wonder who's coming?)

5/27: Hanging out with Harry

Siren: (Oh hey, it's Harry.)

Harry's potential nicknames are:

• Harry
  • Hariri
  • Hariya-kun
  • Harry-sama
  • Kou
  • Thousand Needles
  • Band Guy
  • Kounoshin :love:
  • ...noshin

Hariya -> Hari Senbon = Thousand Needles. I just want him to wiggle his cactus arms now. But we'll just keep calling him Harry to keep him happy.

Siren: Harry!
Siren: Wanna grab some food on the way home?

Harry: Sure, I don't mind.
Siren: Yay! Let's go.

Siren: By the way, Harry.
Harry: Yeah?
Siren: Do you have a favorite food?

Harry: Hamburger steak! But it has to have a fried egg on top or it's no good.
Siren: No good?

Harry: No good at all.
Siren: Why?
Harry: Because a hamburger steak without an egg isn't really a hamburger steak!
Siren: I... I guess so. Anything else?

Harry: Curry rice. Ramen. Sushi that doesn't have any wasabi!
Siren: (I see...)

5/28: The big day

Siren: I'm going out with Haruhi today. I get going soon!

Siren: (Ah, there she is!)
Siren: Haruhi-chan!
Haruhi: There ya are, Ren! We've been waitin' for ya!
Haruhi: Geez, I was startin' ta get worried!
Haruhi: C'mon, hurry up!

Harry: You've got some nerve to keep us waiting...
Siren: S, sorry!
Harry: I'll let you off easy this time.
Harry: We shouldn't waste our time out here!

Siren: Huh? Hey, I didn't think you would come, Saeki-kun!
Teru: I could say the same thing about you.
Teru: Wait a second... this means...

Teru: Ahem! Umm...
Teru: O-oh, wow, what a surprise, I didn't think you were coming too!
Siren: (Saeki-kun's starting to confuse himself...)

Translator's note: As usual, Teru keeps slipping between the informal/rude form of "you" and the polite form of "you" whenever he remembers that someone other than Siren is watching.

Meanwhile, you have to wonder what made Haruhi decide to bring Teru along on the double date. Mechanically, it's because he's the only other eligible boy since Masaki doesn't go to high school anymore and is ineligible for most of these, sure. But Haruhi also thinks that Teru has a stick up his rear end, so it's not like she's part of his fan club. This means that she either ships Teru-Siren herself, or it's because it made Harry more likely to go. Interesting to think about, for sure.

Haruhi: Pretty fun group we got here, huh?
Haruhi: Alright, everyone's here, let's have fun today!
Haruhi: Now let's get goin'! Get yer rears in gear, people!

Haruhi: Now, it's time for a quick survey!
Haruhi: What're we ridin' first?
Siren: The roller coaster.
Haruhi: Gotcha. Let's get movin'!

Haruhi: Hey, Ren. Who ya ridin' with?
Siren: You.

Haruhi: What? Me?
Haruhi: Haha... I guess I shoulda figured! Alright, let's do it.
Haruhi: Sigh... this is gonna be rough on so many levels.
Siren: Sorry, did you say something?
Haruhi: Uh, nope! Just talkin' ta myself...

Haruhi: The ferris wheel next? Seems like a nice way ta get up close and personal.
Haruhi: Who ya ridin' with?
Siren: Harry.

Under normal circumstances, I would've avoided Harry like the plague, but I wanted Haruhi's reactions to everything.

Haruhi: Then... I guess I'm ridin' with Saeki-kun.
Haruhi: Yaaaaay.

Harry: I bet the view from the top is awesome!

Haruhi: Last ride's the merry-go-round.
Haruhi: Seems really romantic. Who ya wanna ride with?
Siren: Teru.

Haruhi: Then I get ta take pictures a Harry while he's makin' stupid faces! Yes!

Teru: You've gotta be kidding me, at this age why am I--
Siren: Everybody can see you, you know.

Teru: Haha! Ahahaha! Shall we ride?

Trolling Teru is going to be one of the best things about TMGS 2, isn't it?

And speaking of trolling, I took advantage of emulator save states to get every single version of the rides, so here you go:

Roller Coaster: Teru edition

Siren: I'll ride with Saeki-kun.
Haruhi: Really?! Then I'll ride with Harry!

Teru: Ooh, the roller coaster. Hey, let's get in the front r--
Siren: Everyone's watching you.

Teru: Uhhh...
Teru: Shall we ride?

Roller coaster: Harry edition

Siren: I'll ride with Harry.
Haruhi: Then... I guess I'll ride with Saeki-kun? Okay. Got it.

Harry: It's the main event! Get a move on!

Ferris wheel: Haruhi edition

Siren: I'll ride with you, Haruhi.
Haruhi: With me?!
Haruhi: This kinda feels... wrong. But whatever, I guess.
Siren: Hmm?
Haruhi: Uh, nothin'! Just talkin' ta myself.

Ferris wheel: Teru edition

Siren: I'll ride with Saeki-kun.
Haruhi: Ya ain't kiddin'?!
Haruhi: Then I guess I got no choice but ta ride with Harry, huh!

Teru: It's just one time around, but at least it seems like a good view, right?

Merry-go-round: Harry edition

Siren: I'll ride with Harry.
Haruhi: Uhh, oh, really?
Haruhi: Then I guess I should ride with Saeki-kun...

Harry: Oh God... spare me.

That poor, poor boy. No wonder Haruhi wanted to take pictures of the faces he makes while riding the merry-go-round. But his suffering is nothing compared to...

Merry-go-round: Haruhi edition

Siren: I'll ride with you, Haruhi-chan.
Haruhi: Ha-ha-ha, 'cause we're all lovey-dovey, ha. Ha-ha.
Siren: Hmm?
Haruhi: Uh, nothin'! Just talkin' ta myself.

I'm so sorry, Haruhi. I am so sorry.

END TROLLING OF FRIENDS

Haruhi: Ahhh, that was so fun! We did everythin' I wanted ta do, and now I'm bushed.
Haruhi: We should head home soon!

Harry: It might not be bad to hang out like this. If we all have time, we should do this again.
Harry: I had fun! Later.

Teru: That was fun. Now, you'll have to excuse me.
Siren: Thanks for today.

Teru: Ugh... that was exhausting.

If you let Haruhi ride with Harry all 3 times, you get this reaction from her:

Haruhi: Ooooh, today felt like I was livin' a dream!
Haruhi: How was it on yer end?
Siren: I had fun too.

Haruhi: Yeah? Awesome! We should do this again, y'hear?
Haruhi: Thanks for makin' today great!
Siren: (Haruhi-chan seems so happy! She's like the cat that swallowed the canary.)

Next time: Dokis Rule Everything Around Me

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 28, 2015

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Your screenshots in the "trolling of friends" section seem to be out of order.

edit: aaaaand by the time I made this post you'd already fixed it :v:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Haruhi makes the best faces :allears:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So is she hardcoded to chase Harry, or does it just seem that way?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

So is she hardcoded to chase Harry, or does it just seem that way?

Hard coded. It gets more obvious very quickly.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That's interesting. Does that mean that no matter what boy you pick, you're gonna have a rival?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

You guys are monsters for making us go after Harry, we can't stomp on our girl Haurhi's heart like that.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

That's interesting. Does that mean that no matter what boy you pick, you're gonna have a rival?

Nope - the girls are hard coded to go after the boy with the same stat. So Chiyomi goes after Itaru, Haruhi goes after Harry, Tatsuko goes after Katsumi, and Hisoka, for some godawful reason, goes after Christopher.

SaffronKit posted:

You guys are monsters for making us go after Harry, we can't stomp on our girl Haurhi's heart like that.

The poll was just for two people to hang out with!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

vibratingsheep posted:

Nope - the girls are hard coded to go after the boy with the same stat. So Chiyomi goes after Itaru, Haruhi goes after Harry, Tatsuko goes after Katsumi, and Hisoka, for some godawful reason, goes after Christopher.

The poll was just for two people to hang out with!

I suppose so, but we should definitely be helping her out like a good friend would. Go get'em Haurhi!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

Teru: You've gotta be kidding me, at this age why am I--
Siren: Everybody can see you, you know.

Teru: Haha! Ahahaha! Shall we ride?

Trolling Teru is going to be one of the best things about TMGS 2, isn't it?

The greatest thing about this scene is how the voice actor hits the tones for those totally different lines completely out of the park. The fake laugh is funny on it's own, but the voice acting puts so much awkwardness and embarrassment into it, that it becomes absolutely hilarious.
[insert joke about TIdus's laugh here]

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Don't break the illusion! In my dreams, all the characters in this game are controlled by their own sophisticated AI, which intelligently decides how they should spend their time and who they should talk to based on a set of priorities that are dynamically updated as their stats change over time.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

SaffronKit posted:

If Harry and Haruhi don't wind up together I will be crushed.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Haruhi's reactions when you cockblock her from spending time with Harry is one of the reasons I don't recommend romancing the latter when she's your starting friend...

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

If we can't have Harry I recommend going hot for teacher then.

Motoharu is boring as hell

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
I went for Teru, and honestly I found him pretty fun. I like their dynamic much more than super hard boy from GS1 because basically it is just two people constantly trolling each other until they realize that they secretly love trolls. And then there are more mermaid analogies. It was pretty cool and I really enjoyed it.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I started playing GS2 the other day due to the thread, and Teru is pretty fun to hang out with. As others in the thread have pointed out, the mutual trolling between him and the female MC is great. I was initially set on his route, but the teacher is proving to be unexpectedly charming with his dorky attitude. Waka-chan is kinda like a cat especially after finding out his favorite food :3:

Another thing I like in this game is how animated the daily action portraits are. I hang out with Onoda a lot, and it's funny to see the failure reactions (i.e. falling off a bench).

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

You know, there's a certain other "mermaid" who's got a Waka of her very own...

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Yeah, that's one reason why I started calling the teacher Waka as soon as I could. I'm pretty sure this Waka isn't as dense... probably?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

For the uninitiated (few though they may be):

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Octolady posted:

If we can't have Harry I recommend going hot for teacher then.

Motoharu is boring as hell

I honestly really want to see teacher route, this one looks not terrible and actually kind of interesting. Also science dorks at the best kinda people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Another vote for teacher route because we can't break our bff Haruhi's heart like by flirting with Harry. Also you guys' description of his route sounds adorable. And does seem to be third in the poll.

• Locked thread