Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cnut the Great posted:

Norm MacDonald is funny no matter what he does. When he genuinely fucks up a joke, that somehow becomes the joke. I don't know how to explain it. It just has something to do with his personality. Maybe you have to be on a certain wavelength.

Norm MacDonald is essentially the Zen Buddhism of comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Data Graham, all I can say that any opinions on Bob's acting and improv and comedy chops without having seen him on Mr. Show are missing his absolute best work. Mr. Show is one of the best most influential skit shows of all time. Bob definitely is not as good of an actor as David Cross and certainly likes playing a doofus but I don't think he ever expected to get caught up in dramatic acting and it seems that he can pull it off.

I'll also say that while David is a better actor with broader range of characters, Bob is most commended for his writing and his production and for being responsible for some careers of people who are pretty well known now. Bob was a writer on Conan, early Simpsons, SNL when it was funny, etc. His credentials are giant when you factor in writing and production.

I won't argue too hard that he pretty much likes to play that dumb character but you should watch Mr. Show because it's a lot of people's "funniest comedy show I've ever seen," including mine.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

JT Jag posted:

I always assumed that Tuco got his poo poo from Gus until Walt showed up and started making something better but I don't know if this is ever confirmed anywhere.

I always thought that Tuco got at least a part of his meth from Krazy-8, who in turn were supplied by Emilio.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

This is a Bob stand up from like 20-25 years ago and it's loving hilarious. The whole thing is a character bit and yeah he likes to play dumb guys but this is amazing to me.

http://youtu.be/JUtKPlxJ4E0

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

And if you stand corrected on Norm because he wrote Celebrity Jeopardy, Bob conceived and wrote Chris Farley in "the van down by the river" sketches. And discovering Tim and Eric unleashed an entire brand of alternative comedy which has taken over the comedy game in general and Bob is to thank for that.

Mr. Show also broke Jack Black, Sarah Silverman, Paul F. Tompkins, Tom Kenny, among others.

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 19, 2015

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Hey dudes, this show is only 4 episodes in and it's already the best thing on TV.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

And if you stand corrected on Norm because he wrote Celebrity Jeopardy, Bob conceived and wrote Chris Farley in "the van down by the river" sketches. And discovering Tim and Eric unleashed an entire brand of alternative comedy which has taken over the comedy game in general and Bob is to thank for that.

Mr. Show also broke Jack Black, Sarah Silverman, Paul F. Tompkins, Tom Kenny, among others.

I've always avoided Tim & Eric because the bits I saw seemed like the worst sort of lolrandom Adult Swim monkeycheese and that never interested me. I had no idea Odenkirk was involved so maybe now I'll give it another chance. I really liked Mr. Show.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Tim & Eric is not random. It's extremely deliberate.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It's also extremely terrible.

I like Odenkirk's skit based comedy more. Mr. Show Uber Alles.

Also, Birthday Boys, but that's been cancelled.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

a cop posted:

Tim & Eric is not random. It's extremely deliberate.

This.

It's not random at all, everything is extremely pre-ordained and precise. The cocnept of Tim and Eric is basically a perverse parody of 1980's public access. It's just a nightmarish version of it where it is their world and their reality. It takes the concept of television and fame and product and brings it so far into darkness.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

This is a pretty awesome skit from T and E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8u4CEBVq7s

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Data Graham, all I can say that any opinions on Bob's acting and improv and comedy chops without having seen him on Mr. Show are missing his absolute best work. Mr. Show is one of the best most influential skit shows of all time. Bob definitely is not as good of an actor as David Cross and certainly likes playing a doofus but I don't think he ever expected to get caught up in dramatic acting and it seems that he can pull it off.

I'll also say that while David is a better actor with broader range of characters, Bob is most commended for his writing and his production and for being responsible for some careers of people who are pretty well known now. Bob was a writer on Conan, early Simpsons, SNL when it was funny, etc. His credentials are giant when you factor in writing and production.

I won't argue too hard that he pretty much likes to play that dumb character but you should watch Mr. Show because it's a lot of people's "funniest comedy show I've ever seen," including mine.

I'll be interspersing some Mr. Show in with my run through BCS, then. I don't doubt it's great; I've never heard anyone say otherwise.

I've never really been too aware of how much impact Bob has had on various shows from a writing standpoint, and if that's where his primary talent lies, I'm all on board with that knowing what he's been involved in. It's always just been weird for me to reconcile that with what I see on-screen (which is undoubtedly a subset of the required reading).

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

This is a pretty awesome skit from T and E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8u4CEBVq7s

one featuring bob himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwxqfEMiO0g

5-HT fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 19, 2015

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I'll be interspersing some Mr. Show in with my run through BCS, then. I don't doubt it's great; I've never heard anyone say otherwise.

I've never really been too aware of how much impact Bob has had on various shows from a writing standpoint, and if that's where his primary talent lies, I'm all on board with that knowing what he's been involved in. It's always just been weird for me to reconcile that with what I see on-screen (which is undoubtedly a subset of the required reading).

Yeah, that's the thing, a lot of people who are giants in the writing world are, well, writers. You don't see them, and if what you seen of them onscreen is some dumb Chicago character then that's what you think he's all about. I understand that.

But it's like, does anyone know who Vernon Chatman is? No, because he's never onscreen. He's one of the very most important names in comedy -- you think of a major success in the past 20 years, his name is probably attached to the writing/production. Same with John Lee.

Even someone like Conan who is known for his show and onscreen persona, he's a writing giant who broke a ton of people's careers who are big today. It's just a side of that world which doesn't get publicity nor is something you can see happening.

That's why so many people are happy for Bob Odenkirk. He's been paving the way in alternative comedy for almost 30 years and he's finally getting this big role.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hated Tim and Eric but Tom Goes To the Mayor was brilliant and Bob was great in it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Yeah, that's the thing, a lot of people who are giants in the writing world are, well, writers. You don't see them, and if what you seen of them onscreen is some dumb Chicago character then that's what you think he's all about. I understand that.

But it's like, does anyone know who Vernon Chatman is? No, because he's never onscreen. He's one of the very most important names in comedy -- you think of a major success in the past 20 years, his name is probably attached to the writing/production. Same with John Lee.

Even someone like Conan who is known for his show and onscreen persona, he's a writing giant who broke a ton of people's careers who are big today. It's just a side of that world which doesn't get publicity nor is something you can see happening.

That's why so many people are happy for Bob Odenkirk. He's been paving the way in alternative comedy for almost 30 years and he's finally getting this big role.

Until I read this http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/magazine/jack-handey-is-the-envy-of-every-comedy-writer-in-america.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 I had no idea how much bigger a deal Jack Handey was than just the Deep Thoughts.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Meatwave posted:

Evidently they go camping a lot:

And the kids loving hate it, which makes that scene even better.

From the podcast, they had to put identifying stickers on cars they were film for some reason, anyone remembers let me know. Anyway, they like to use them for a bit of foreshadowing or whatever, which is cool, so maybe we should look out for car stickers in the future..

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Megaspel posted:

From the podcast, they had to put identifying stickers on cars they were film for some reason
You need another sticker on this car before you can start filming. Nine dollars or another sticker.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

JT Jag posted:

You need another sticker on this car before you can start filming. Nine dollars or another sticker.

I'm just trying to stay under budget! The studio is all the way back in New York! You really want me to go all the way back there to get one more sticker? Come on man, just push the button, have a heart.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

JT Jag posted:

SCREW YOU, JAGUAR!

*peels out*

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VendaGoat posted:

I'm just trying to stay under budget! The studio is all the way back in New York! You really want me to go all the way back there to get one more sticker? Come on man, just push the button, have a heart.

Another sticker or nine bucks. :geno:

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Megaspel posted:

From the podcast, they had to put identifying stickers on cars they were film for some reason, anyone remembers let me know. Anyway, they like to use them for a bit of foreshadowing or whatever, which is cool, so maybe we should look out for car stickers in the future..

I noticed the car stickers right away so I was a little annoyed by the second, lingering close-up shot. BB/BCS is usually a little more subtle than that "HEY LOOK AT THESE STICKERS PEOPLE" shot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Exodor posted:

I noticed the car stickers right away so I was a little annoyed by the second, lingering close-up shot. BB/BCS is usually a little more subtle than that "HEY LOOK AT THESE STICKERS PEOPLE" shot.

Are we watching the same franchise? The show where God basically screams at Skyler to get the gently caress out of New Mexico? Where hellfire rains down on Walt? Breaking Bad is many things, but it often wasn't very subtle.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Exodor posted:

From a distance you can't really tell it's specifically a camping-themed family, though. Considering seeing that is how Jimmy figured out specifically where they'd hide near by, it makes sense to actually close up on it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gaz-L posted:

Are we watching the same franchise? The show where God basically screams at Skyler to get the gently caress out of New Mexico? Where hellfire rains down on Walt? Breaking Bad is many things, but it often wasn't very subtle.

Remember the DEAth mug?

I'm currently developing a theory about Jimmy's rant in HH & McGill's about Chuck's stuff. I just need to figure out what the lingering shot with the desk lamps symbolizes and then plug all those numbers into my numerology app and I'll be able to predict the series' finale.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

JT Jag posted:

Quoting this greatness... so we have enough quotes for another sticker.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Data Graham posted:

Thing is though, there wasn't a lot of improv on Mr. Show, except for the dvd commentaries.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Accretionist posted:

Saul negotiating for the twins reminded me of his BB line, "Conscience gets expensive, doesn't it?" I've been looking for that to be a theme ever since.

Conscience do cost- Saul "Butchie" Goodman.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

It's silly, and fan-servicy, and lame, but I'd love for all of the AMC shows to have ties to each other. I know The Walking Dead made a couple of references to BB, but I want more.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

ruddiger posted:

It's also extremely terrible.

I like Odenkirk's skit based comedy more. Mr. Show Uber Alles.

Also, Birthday Boys, but that's been cancelled.

Aw gently caress. gently caress! This is how I find out? Is there any left of the 2nd season or did that finish?

Hurlin Merlin
Jan 29, 2009

Would you like to try my Major Elixir of Thunderbird?
*edit wrong thread*

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Interstitial Abs posted:

I know how it ends, and I'm calling it now. :colbert:

The only other time we see future Saul is the end of the last episode, as a bookend. Back to black and white; Saul sitting facing the TV, a single tear rolls down his cheek. Tight close up on the tear; the color reflection of the TV gleaming back. The entire series took place in the ten minutes Saul watched his ad reel. Suddenly the final BCS ad ends, and the only thing reflected back is black and white "snow" on the TV. Fade to black.

Then cut to a small autistic child (played by Brock) playing with a snow globe, with Saul's house inside... the entire BB and BCS universe was all in his mind. :v:

The only acceptable riff on a classic TV ending is to do the ending to Newhart only it's Bob Odenkirk waking up in bed next David Cross and waking him up to tell him about the crazy dream he just had.

Meatwave posted:

Evidently they go camping a lot:

And the kids loving hate it, which makes that scene even better.

Maybe it's just me but I thought that those family stickers didn't really become a thing until the mid-00s? I mean, it's nothing major compared to some of the stuff Breaking Bad pulled but still.

withak posted:

Chucks brickphone was a clear sign that this was supposed to be more than a few years in the past. Late 1980s maybe?

According to the podcast it's the same kind of cell phone they used in season one of The X-Files, so early 90s.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

And that secluded payphone that Jimmy calls the Kettlemans from is in that area too.

Also according to the podcast both of the payphones were props that they had to bring in and set up since payphones basically don't exist in the wild anymore.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Sleeveless posted:

The only acceptable riff on a classic TV ending is to do the ending to Newhart only it's Bob Odenkirk waking up in bed next David Cross and waking him up to tell him about the crazy dream he just had.

Given the fact that they filmed this scene with Brian Cranston and Jane Kasmarek(sp) for the Breaking Bad Blu-Ray extras I could picture this happening and it would be hilarious.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
BCS podcast mirrors. If you'd like to leave a messageBETTERCALLSAUL

BCS 101 Uno Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 102 Mijo Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 103 Nacho Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sleeveless posted:

Maybe it's just me but I thought that those family stickers didn't really become a thing until the mid-00s? I mean, it's nothing major compared to some of the stuff Breaking Bad pulled but still..

The show takes place in the mid 2000s.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Cojawfee posted:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

His credit card exp date is 11/04 or something so yeah what they poster above me just pointed out with photographic evidence.

I was so inebriated when I watched the first ep I couldn't piece together it was a prequel and that's why he didn't know Mike or Tuco. :negative:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I urge you all to read Vince Gilligan's detailed Breaking Bad chronology wherein he outlines precisely when every event that takes place in BB down to the precise day of each week in each year.

For example: did you know Tuco almost made it to his birthday (February 10) before dying on February 8, 2008?

Breaking Bad has always had a very meticulously constructed timeline and I expect Better Call Saul to have the same attention in regards to lining up real life dates and times

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's silly, and fan-servicy, and lame, but I'd love for all of the AMC shows to have ties to each other. I know The Walking Dead made a couple of references to BB, but I want more.

Please don't taint this show with your zombie garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sleeveless posted:

Maybe it's just me but I thought that those family stickers didn't really become a thing until the mid-00s? I mean, it's nothing major compared to some of the stuff Breaking Bad pulled but still.

What?

• Locked thread